CT high school student suspended for writing a poem about Sandy Hook shooter

2»

Comments

• Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perfect wrote: »
    lechic wrote: »
    Theres too much feelings in this thread
    Is that what you do in real life when someone disagrees with what you're saying, lol?

and lol @ you critiquing her grammar. ironing

Proper correctifying
  • fuc_i_look_like
    fuc_i_look_like Members Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @lechic
    Damn u a ? hater B
  • Purr
    Purr Members Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Theres too much feelings in this thread
    Is that what you do in real life when someone disagrees with what you're saying, lol?

and lol @ you critiquing her grammar. ironing

I aint correct her grammar dumb dumb. I just stated how her poem sucked.

If it was dope then I wouldnt care.
  • Mynutzonslutz
    Mynutzonslutz Members Posts: 36
    Smh
    That poem sucked ass
    /close thread
  • Purr
    Smh
    That poem sucked ass
    /close thread

Lol its cool when a guy says this poem sucks but when I do its a fucki by problem. Oh ok.
  • Mynutzonslutz
    Mynutzonslutz Members Posts: 36
    Smh
    That poem sucked ass
    /close thread

Lol its cool when a guy says this poem sucks but when I do its a fucki by problem. Oh ok.

I read until the end of the poem; forgot what the thread was about and felt the need to express how ? I thought it was. She must be stopped...

from writing anymore poems.
  • Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    kai_valya wrote: »
    whether i agree with her sentiments or not, this is wrong on SOOOOOOO many levels. so now its "wrong" to THINK different?

will things like this not lead us to the point where its "wrong" to THINK?
    one, people need to calm down

two, that is a terrible poem. do they not teach proper structure in that school? and it's just all over the place. if it was well written i'd have no complaints

its art. ? structure.

if it's gonna be free verse, then have it all be free verse, don't have random rhyme schemes thrown in. not everything is art, some are just an attempt at art. not saying she should stop writing or anything, just giving an honest assessment of her work

objective critique is not an attack
    im not saying you're attacking her, i'm saying the critique is redundant. you judged her intelligence from a poem that she didn't release to the public.

i think the actual story here is a student getting suspended over intellectual property because her teacher invaded her privacy

edit: and i think you meant objective criticism.. im just saynnnnnnn....
  • Amotekun
    Amotekun Members Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    whether i agree with her sentiments or not, this is wrong on SOOOOOOO many levels. so now its "wrong" to THINK different?

two, that is a terrible poem. do they not teach proper structure in that school? and it's just all over the place. if it was well written i'd have no complaints

its art. ? structure.

if it's gonna be free verse, then have it all be free verse, don't have random rhyme schemes thrown in. not everything is art, some are just an attempt at art. not saying she should stop writing or anything, just giving an honest assessment of her work

If its her first class then the primary concern
    is just gettin a student open enough to express
    thoughts...not first them into a box of structure.

If she were in an MFA program you'd be right but she's
    17 in high school pimpin. It does suck though...but she
    17, was it supposed to be good?
  • Black Boy King
    Smh
    That poem sucked ass
    /close thread

get out yo feelings hoe, you responded to me and i responded back. can we not just have a discussion and disagree at the same time?

y you been so mad lately?
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dead at the irony of a 17 year old black girl understanding a mental insane suburban white killer who took advantage of the right to have assult rifles and hundreds of rounds of extended clip ammo.

the poem shoulda been some i don't understand why a mother teaches her mentally disable and socially awkward child to the gun range to shoot assult rifles as a way to "teach discipline" as a family friend said.
  • Purr
    Smh
    That poem sucked ass
    /close thread

get out yo feelings hoe, you responded to me and i responded back. can we not just have a discussion and disagree at the same time?

y you been so mad lately?

I did have a discussion with you. I had just disagreed with you that I was correcting her grammar, when in fact it was the structure of her poem.

I aint mad, darling.

You are mad though because you cant handle being wrong :( yo bad.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who the ? goes to a high school basketball game to see MJ in his prime type of skills?

Know what to expect
  • Purr
    RodrigueZz wrote: »
    Who the ? goes to a high school basketball game to see MJ in his prime type of skills?

Know what to expect

? went to see bron bron play high school ball..
  • Amotekun

its art. ? structure.

im not saying you're attacking her, i'm saying the critique is redundant. you judged her intelligence from a poem that she didn't release to the public.

i think the actual story here is a student getting suspended over intellectual property because her teacher invaded her privacy

i never said she was dumb or speculated on her intelligence in any manner, just gave my opinion on the quality of her work

no, critique works well too
    Amotekun wrote: »

its art. ? structure.

i didn't say it was supposed to be great, although i have seen pretty great work from young kids her age before. she should keep at it, but you can only improve with constructive criticism. everyone telling you it's great when it's not won't make you get better

Ive seen a lot of great work from teens her age and younger.
    The Louder than a Bomb competition in the Chi folk be snappin
    off hard as hell...a lot better than me at that age. Straight spoken
    word prodigy.

There's a fine line...I dont recall anyone sayin her ? is great...but I wouldnt
    tell her it sucks. Poetry any work of literature is always in need of revision
    and work.

rhyme formats...styles are just opinions on ways of communicating
    they help a writer get better in the same way pruning a bush helps it
    grow. Tellin a young writer they suck is like indiscriminately hacking
    at that same bush. Its a fine process sometimes you gotta suck before
    get better.

? somalian and a perfectionista. ? cant win.
  • Purr
    RodrigueZz wrote: »

Know what to expect

no one said she had to be robert frost in this ? , but she could at least pick one type of poem and stick to it.

you can't write a haiku with 20 syllables and still call it a haiku

I was trying to tell these nignogs that. She was trying to write in a contemporary abba format and failed at it.

They teach you poetry structure in high school and give you a format on how to write better.

Shes not the best but dammit it was not thought-provoking to be kicked out of school.

If she had turned in work like this before, then her english teacher needs to be spoken too on the trash s/he allowed her to write.
  • Black Boy King
    edited December 2012

its art. ? structure.

i never said she was dumb or speculated on her intelligence in any manner, just gave my opinion on the quality of her work

no, critique works well too

its art. ? structure.

i didn't say it was supposed to be great, although i have seen pretty great work from young kids her age before. she should keep at it, but you can only improve with constructive criticism. everyone telling you it's great when it's not won't make you get better

You criticized her ability to write a structured poem. I'm saying that your opinion on the quality of the poem is redundant since it wasn't for the public to read to begin with. That's like going through an artist's laptop and critiquing music he hasn't released yet.

Though again, I don't think the issue is the quality of the poem... But if you want to make that the issue, then shouldn't she be in school learning how to write better rather than suspended for "poor work"?
  • fuc_i_look_like
    Both of y'all must be aggravating as hell to be around in real life.
  • fuc_i_look_like
    I was surprised she was black tho
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another excerpt

"love is by far the most precious thang on earth,
    like a roses fragrance, or a childs birth,
    love me and leave me, thats the story of my life
    but that wont happen again see
    cuz i bought me a buthers knife, the next man that loves me and leaves me real quick see ima cut his ? and ima chop off his ? ima ? that mu*** fu*** ima stab him,,, i will run over him wit my car i will ? him"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUuPmojqvD8
  • blacktux
    blacktux Members Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great poem....

Some people just dont understand art.
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Confession :I steal everybody's gifs and put them on my tumblr if they're funny
  • Amotekun
    loch121 wrote: »
    Confession :I steal everybody's gifs and put them on my tumblr if they're funny

Doesnt everyone do this...

whats your tumblr?
  • locksmith1
    locksmith1 Members Posts: 293
    ? overreaching as usual....

in the school and the thread....
    so oh girl is supposed to be a laureate at 17?
    Word? Most ? twice her age dont have a grasp of
    the world or of grasp of their own creative voice.

Nothing more than suppression of creative thought
    people would rather criminalize than empathize.

poem is horrible though...same way I wrote when I was
    shorty's age.
    If the kid was white, you would sing a different song.