What Does Racial Progress Look Like?

Amotekun
Amotekun Members Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2013 in R & R (Religion and Race)
The American idea of racial progress is measured by how fast I become white.”
— James Baldwin, “On Language, Race, and the Black Writer”

Is this the de facto definition and execution of so called racial progress in America?

Comments

• Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on your perspective..
  • TheFix
    TheFix Members Posts: 778 ✭✭✭✭
  • Amotekun
    @Thefix

Barack isn't the first "Black" US president. Hell he isnt even the second.

So what has having a Black face in leadership position done for the collective
    of Black people?
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amotekun wrote: »
    @Thefix

Barack isn't the first "Black" US president. Hell he isnt even the second.

So what has having a Black face in leadership position done for the collective
    of Black people?

If nothin else its changed the perspective of whats possible in America. Its completely changed how a lotta people in my community think and act. The ones thats left know life aint limited to trappin, the streets, and jail. Even if they still get caught up, that aint all you can be. But in the end, its all perspective and attitude. And circumstances and how you handle them. The President just another man with a job. We all gotta run our own lives.
  • Amotekun
    Ok its changed attitudes about how far up we may allegedly participate in the system...
    but what has that done about the execution of education, wealth redistribution into Black hands
    international brotherhood and such?
  • TheFix
    TheFix Members Posts: 778 ✭✭✭✭
    @Amotekun My man, black people need to do something for the collective of black people instead of waiting on a handout. And as far as Obama goes, you talkin all this "not the first black president" ? . Go out on the street, ask 200 people who the first black president is, and 190 will say Barack Obama. I understand you have your opinion of who is, but perception is reality, buddy. Barack Obama made the hood come together for a common cause, got ? who never vote, voting, and showed that you can become anything in america if you try. 2008 gave a muthafucka no excuse to be what you want because if he pulled that in white amerikkka, anything is possible.
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd guess it would start with unification / organization within that race.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    100 yrs ago, Jews, Poles, and Italians weren't considered white. Now they are. Same with Irish people. 100 years from now, white and lightskinned Hispanics will be considered white.
  • Amotekun
    Bruh black people BEEN comin together anytime someone threatens their symbolic power "the right to vote"

but anybody whose anybody knows that "right to vote" is an illusory power and full of empty promises.

It dont matter what 200 ? in the hood SAY when Barack's presidency couldnt inspire 200 ? from shootin
    another 200 ? for arbitrary and idiotic reasons.

In America position and influence is tied up in capital and access to resources both which Black people are
    severely lacking.
  • Amotekun
    100 yrs ago, Jews, Poles, and Italians weren't considered white. Now they are. Same with Irish people. 100 years from now, white and lightskinned Hispanics will be considered white.

Co-siggity...

White people protect themselves by encompassing other european ethnic minorities in order to maintain a
    numerical majority and a psychological collective.

Everyone aspires to be white because white is the normative, white is the means through which prosperity and safety is obtained.

• Purr
    Purr Members Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love James Baldwin but I can't stand yo faux black militant ass...

James Baldwin was a great American Modern writer, who was openly ? , agnostic, and proud of his dark skin.

? , I love that man... So, amazing.
  • Amotekun
    lechic wrote: »

James Baldwin was a great American Modern writer, who was openly ? , agnostic, and proud of his dark skin.

@lechic How can I be a faux militant when i've never even claimed to have an army?

::insert feels gif::
  • Purr
    Purr Members Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amotekun wrote: »
    lechic wrote: »

@lechic How can I be a faux militant when i've never even claimed to have an army?

::insert feels gif::

You can be an one-man army.

checkmate
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The opposite of what those ? in Chicago do.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    racial progress looks like...
    a one size fits all justice system
    acceptance
    access
    non frivolous interracial frienships/relationships
    pride
    ...so on and so forth

it certainly doesnt mean a homogenous people... there is no singular "victor" in this conclusion of the pipe dream

progress has been made incrementally but in the grand scheme of things the emancipation was in 1863 or was it 5..slavery was for 350-400 years prior ... HATE has along shelf life
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Barack Obama is only black on the outside

Culturally he is more white than he is black
  • Amotekun
    racial progress looks like...
    a one size fits all justice system
    acceptance
    access
    non frivolous interracial frienships/relationships
    pride
    ...so on and so forth

it certainly doesnt mean a homogenous people... there is no singular "victor" in this conclusion of the pipe dream

progress has been made incrementally but in the grand scheme of things the emancipation was in 1863 or was it 5..slavery was for 350-400 years prior ... HATE has along shelf life

All of these things though depend on outside factors getting white people to acknowledge certain things....

I believe in the pursuit of getting white people to acknowledge and accept us Black people lost themselves
    and lost sight of the goal.

Racial progression isnt about how well we get along with one another because truth be told we'd get along great if we accepted our designed roles...but a few of us refuse this.

Black racial progression is synonymous with wealth building cant have one without the other. Wealth building will only come when Black people force the issue. white people arent going to voluntarily amend their historic and current abuses that would aide in their own destruction. Racial progress will only come when we stop falling for tokenism and symbolic gestures of power and progress.

Obama is nothing more than a token and symbol of what could and is not what is. I dont wanna turn this conversation into him though because its deeper than rap.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Racial progress would have to be that we all have distinct cultures, people, looks, fashion, etc and realizing that everyone has the right to their own and cannot be blocked for any superficial reasons. The playingfield is leveled and all schools teach and universities are on the same level. No one has a foothold of power.
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    7fIG wrote: »

came in here to say this. This is the only card left to play and it's worked before at varying levels. That's why it's puzzling why blacks don't use it. Whites have it perfected. A white dude kills a bunch of people; he's mentally ill. A black dude kills 1 person, he's a savage. They'll protect their own till their dying breath, no matter what. (Nothing wrong with that, that's how it should be as long as you have a leg to stand on) A black man gets a little success and moves his family to a part of town with better schools and he's a ? uncle tom. Then they say ? like "black people don't even want to live around black people". Well name one successful white person that's still in the trailer park. Racial progress looks like a unified front on all levels. If every dollar touched 2-5 people of said race before it exits the circle, you'd see undeniable progress.
  • Amotekun
    7fIG wrote: »

came in here to say this. This is the only card left to play and it's worked before at varying levels. That's why it's puzzling why blacks don't use it. Whites have it perfected. A white dude kills a bunch of people; he's mentally ill. A black dude kills 1 person, he's a savage. They'll protect their own till their dying breath, no matter what. (Nothing wrong with that, that's how it should be as long as you have a leg to stand on) A black man gets a little success and moves his family to a part of town with better schools and he's a ? uncle tom. Then they say ? like "black people don't even want to live around black people". Well name one successful white person that's still in the trailer park. Racial progress looks like a unified front on all levels. If every dollar touched 2-5 people of said race before it exits the circle, you'd see undeniable progress.

Only thing about it is an up and coming Black person isnt moving otu the hood into a middle class black suburb or upper class black community, they are uprooting their family and moving them into a predominantly white community in order to satisfy the notion of moving on up.

This is counter productive...
  • Amotekun
  • UnderMiSensi
    UnderMiSensi Members Posts: 955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    We all should start acknowledging that there is only one race, the human race. Race is a colonist concept that was created to be counterproductive and divisive as the rich pillage the resources of the earth. So "racial" progress is really an oxymoron and you'll always have conflict, wars, scapegoats, holocausts etc due to this bogus concept called "Race"
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When more mixed raced babies walk the classrooms than anyone else. The white population is suffering from a population crisis where negative birthrates is gonna dead everything
  • Amotekun
    When all should start acknowledging that there is only one race, the human race. Race is a colonist concept that was created to be counterproductive and divisive as the rich pillage the resources of the earth. So "racial" progress is really an oxymoron and you'll always have conflict, wars, scapegoats, holocausts etc due to this bogus concept called "Race"

The concept of race is nothing more than an extrapolated concept of nationhood.

Scientifically speaking there is only one race this is true....
    but the fact that the majority of human beings have common lineage
    does not stop people from differentiating from each other and forging
    distinct group identity.

So while it would serve greatly Back folks if everyone suddenly abandoned this
    fallacious concept of race...it is to the benefit of these other groups to act according
    to this philosophy and form protective ethnic enclaves....so it would behoove Black
    people in America to do the same.

Numerically we are 43 million strong in this country that is the size of a european nation.
    If we were a collective...we would be a force to be reckoned with.