Slug Announces Atmosphere ARE Working on a New Album!!!

RuffDraft
RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2013 in The Essence
On Reddit, Slug was being interviewed, he's announced that the group are currently working on a new album and that he only took a break out of his day to speak with the fans.

"Working on one right now," he shared when asked about a new album from the group. "Literally. Took a break in my day to do this AMA."

Dope. Can't wait to hear a new album, although I wasn't as big of a fan of the production on their last album in contrast to WLGYL…YPTSG. Hopefully Ant's production will reign true as I'm still unsure on them as a 'group' rather than a duo.

Nevertheless, can't front, I'm excited.

Reddit

Comments

• RuffDraft
    edited January 2013
    Funny comment in the comments:

Cord27 761 points 2 days ago*
    I was at a show of yours in 2003 in Chicago. A girl got punched in the back of the head and knocked down in a mosh during your opening act. I tried to help her up and she thought I was the one that hit her. Apparently you knew her and when you came out you asked who did it and she pointed to me. I said I didn't. You said, "? you, I don't believe you" and went straight into singing Scapegoat while pouring a Heineken all over my head.
    It was awesome.

jfcffs 196 points 2 days ago
    that doesn't sound awesome at all

slug_atmosphere
    lol. right on. love you bro

sjmiv 201 points 2 days ago
    probably one of the weirdest stories i've read on here

LOL
  • RuffDraft
    edited January 2013
    Don't know if this is just hype rolling here by Slug, but:

Will we ever see an album with brother ali?

[–]slug_atmosphere
    hopefully

Damn. That might be nice, although I'd probably fear that it would take another two years before another Atmosphere album if that occurred.
  • RuffDraft
    [–]? _Damon 121 points 2 days ago
    How did you celebrate your new year?

[–]slug_atmosphere 732 points 2 days ago
    o.g. teenage mutant ninja turtles season 3 marathon
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw Brother Ali, Abstract Rude, and Atmosphere in concert here last August i believe. It was awesome.

So stoked for a new album. I hope its better than the family sign. I liked the album but skipped a good portion of it tbh. Slug is cool as ? to talk to btw.
  • RuffDraft
    edited January 2013
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    I saw Brother Ali, Abstract Rude, and Atmosphere in concert here last August i believe. It was awesome.

So stoked for a new album. I hope its better than the family sign. I liked the album but skipped a good portion of it tbh. Slug is cool as ? to talk to btw.

Slug's interviews never cease to make me laugh. When did you meet him? That must have been incredible!

Amazing @ that concert. I missed the Brother Ali concert that I had tickets for as my girlfriend's Grandmother decided to pass away on the day of the gig. Lost my money on the tickets, but the hotel was really good and offered us another date to stay. That said, still doesn't change the fact that I missed him live... must have been an amazing concert that you went to!

Those are pretty much my sentiments, worried that Ant won't be as controlling over the production and it'll be more of a 'band' thing again, instead of a duo. But when it hit, it hit hard @The Family Sign. So we'll just have to see…
  • Lou Cypher
    Agreed, i feel they kind of put Ant on the back burner. WLGYL was dope as hell production wise tho.

Concert was dope, Abstract Opened up then went to Ali and he played a lot of his newer stuff and blended older stuff in it. Atmosphere came on and would alternate from old and new. It was so ? dope especially with them being a live band now. Started out with ? Loves Ugly, Then slug would ? with the crowd, then they played "She's Enough" and it went on from there. Played atleast 2 songs from every album. some albums got more burn like "You Cant Imagine How Much Fun We're Having"

There was an afterparty at a bar here and slug was taking pics with folks. Just really got to say whats up to him, asked him if him and Murs were going to do another Felt album, he told me they were bouncing ideas off eachother and they talk pretty often. Didnt have plans of hitting the studio any time soon tho. About that time he was talking about it some girls came up to him and stole his attention. It was cool cuz he would kind of talk over them finishing up the Felt convo, but they were some ? ? so they eventually won the battle so i just dipped.

Didnt want to wait in line to talk to Ali or Rude tho lol.. didnt see Ant anywhere.
  • RuffDraft
    Agreed, i feel they kind of put Ant on the back burner. WLGYL was dope as hell production wise tho.

Concert was dope, Abstract Opened up then went to Ali and he played a lot of his newer stuff and blended older stuff in it. Atmosphere came on and would alternate from old and new. It was so ? dope especially with them being a live band now. Started out with ? Loves Ugly, Then slug would ? with the crowd, then they played "She's Enough" and it went on from there. Played atleast 2 songs from every album. some albums got more burn like "You Cant Imagine How Much Fun We're Having"

There was an afterparty at a bar here and slug was taking pics with folks. Just really got to say whats up to him, asked him if him and Murs were going to do another Felt album, he told me they were bouncing ideas off eachother and they talk pretty often. Didnt have plans of hitting the studio any time soon tho. About that time he was talking about it some girls came up to him and stole his attention. It was cool cuz he would kind of talk over them finishing up the Felt convo, but they were some ? ? so they eventually won the battle so i just dipped.

Didnt want to wait in line to talk to Ali or Rude tho lol.. didnt see Ant anywhere.

Yeah, production wise, WLGYL would not give you a reason to go and turn yourselves into a group, very surprising move.

Haha great story, you can really appreciate him trying to finish the conversation too.

Concert sounds amazing! I got Kendrick Lamar in a couple of weeks, looking forward to that.
  • Lou Cypher
    Hell yeah i bet Kendrick can put on a hell of a show. He coming alone? or any other artists? TDE?
  • stupot0607
    stupot0607 Members Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭
    Hell Yeah!!

Although, i hope its a better release than the Family Sign, it had a couple of dope tracks, but lacked any replay value really.

WLGYL is a top 5 hip hop album contender for me. one of the greatest records out. ? Loves Ugly would be a top 10 album contender aswell...

watching Sad Clown Bad Dub 4 this minute. i need to go see them live.

i missed the Reddit, Wor kid told me he was gonna wake me up to tell me Slug was on.

Anyways.. Looking forward to the next release!
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smack!!! Who is this wigga?
  • RuffDraft
    Hell yeah i bet Kendrick can put on a hell of a show. He coming alone? or any other artists? TDE?

Unsure, but I'll let you know! I'm unsure of their photo policies, but I might try to sneak my camera in. If I manage, I'll post some pics up in the thread :tu Can't wait though!
    stupot0607 wrote: »
    Hell Yeah!!

Although, i hope its a better release than the Family Sign, it had a couple of dope tracks, but lacked any replay value really.

WLGYL is a top 5 hip hop album contender for me. one of the greatest records out. ? Loves Ugly would be a top 10 album contender aswell...

i missed the Reddit, Wor kid told me he was gonna wake me up to tell me Slug was on.

Agreed with WLGYL! But I don't know how highly it ranks amongst Atmosphere fans, they seem to put YCIHMFWH higher :unno:

Definitely want to see them live too.

Haha the Reddit seemed enjoyable, but I have never really been on that site before :unno:
    loch121 wrote: »

Do you mean Slug??? Are you being sarcastic? Lol. If not, then Slug's the rapper in the group Atmosphere, who are possibly the most successful artists to never break the mainstream in hip hop.

• loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RuffDraft wrote: »

Unsure, but I'll let you know! I'm unsure of their photo policies, but I might try to sneak my camera in. If I manage, I'll post some pics up in the thread :tu Can't wait though!
    stupot0607 wrote: »
    Hell Yeah!!

Agreed with WLGYL! But I don't know how highly it ranks amongst Atmosphere fans, they seem to put YCIHMFWH higher :unno:

Definitely want to see them live too.

Haha the Reddit seemed enjoyable, but I have never really been on that site before :unno:

Do you mean Slug??? Are you being sarcastic? Lol. If not, then Slug's the rapper in the group Atmosphere, who are possibly the most successful artists to never break the mainstream in hip hop.

Ironically.I'm not being sarcastic
  • RuffDraft
    edited January 2013

Ironically.I'm not being sarcastic

@loch121

Well, he's a part of the group Atmosphere, which consisted of (until their last album) Ant, who was the producer of the duo and Slug, who was the emcee. Their last album consisted of other members who made the duo into a group.

Slug's an incredibly talented emcee and grew up in the 'hip hop scene' from the age of 11. You would perhaps find When Life Gives You Lemons the easiest route into their discography.

Here's some tracks from the release:

Yesterday - incredible track - listen until the end.

You - Great single from the record

This is from their last album and is a classic record that's helped a lot of people from what the people on the Net say:
    The Last to Say

This appeared on Fight Night by EA Sports and you might know it, it's from their You Can't Imagine How Much Fun We're Having record:
    The Arrival

Sorry for assuming that your comment was sarcasm, props if you check them out, they've got an incredible discography.
  • (Nope)
    (Nope) Members Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was at a Brother Ali show and he said, "hit me if I'm lying" or something a long those lines and my friend Tony was ? and smacked him right in the face.

This was the "Modern urban Norman Rockwell" days, before he was big, luckily I'm not trying to get beat up by a bunch of angry underground hip hop heads.
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Il be checking for this wasnt really feeling the lAst joint they put out so i. Hopeing for somthing dope
  • RuffDraft
    (Nope) wrote: »
    I was at a Brother Ali show and he said, "hit me if I'm lying" or something a long those lines and my friend Tony was ? and smacked him right in the face.

This was the "Modern urban Norman Rockwell" days, before he was big, luckily I'm not trying to get beat up by a bunch of angry underground hip hop heads.

Seriously? Hahaha

Classic story, it's great when you hear them from the fans.
    satyrone wrote: »
    Il be checking for this wasnt really feeling the lAst joint they put out so i. Hopeing for somthing dope

Definitely, apart from The Last To Say's success, they must have realised that that record was a step away from their core fan base… never really heard anyone put that record over WLGYL or any of their previous releases online…
  • (Nope)
    (Nope) Members Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seriously? Hahaha

Definitely, apart from The Last To Say's success, they must have realised that that record was a step away from their core fan base… never really heard anyone put that record over WLGYL or any of their previous releases online…

Yeah, If it happened now it would be WORLDSTARRRRRRRRR...

Brother Ali is underrated dope tho.

• RuffDraft

Seriously? Hahaha

Yeah, If it happened now it would be WORLDSTARRRRRRRRR...

Brother Ali is underrated dope tho.

Haha definitely, what happened to Slug when it happened?

Yeah, he's got some classic records under his belt; the talk of them collaborating for a full album would be nice… just hope that it would be as epic as it sounds!
  • BarryHalls
    BarryHalls Members Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cant wait. Atmosphere is one of my favorite groups. Slug is a beast. I wanna hear a new Felt album.
  • RuffDraft
    RaySwift wrote: »
    Cant wait. Atmosphere is one of my favorite groups. Slug is a beast. I wanna hear a new Felt album.

Does anyone know where Slug got his name from? Is it in relation to a shotgun?

• BarryHalls
    BarryHalls Members Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    RaySwift wrote: »

Does anyone know where Slug got his name from? Is it in relation to a shotgun?

Nah. Slug is another way of calling your son "Jr." in his family if you dig what im saying. haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEHTTFOwsDs
  • Lou Cypher
    edited January 2013
    Slug's dad's nickname was Sluggo, People called Slug, Little Sluggo. Heard Slug uses it as an acronym for sean likes ugly girls.