Need help ?

Options
ocelot
ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just turned 25 and I need a new car... I'm single, no kids, and in the military. I don't know ? about cars but I was looking at the chrysler 300 and 2013 maxima all black everything. Help a ? get out of the hood and in to the hills. What should I know when I talk to a dealer?

Comments

• aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    do it have to be a 2013? u can save a lot of money getting a 09, 10, 11 the body styles havent changed much on thr Maxima... what u trying to spend?
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    300 needs alotta gas
  • ocelot
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    do it have to be a 2013? u can save a lot of money getting a 09, 10, 11 the body styles havent changed much on thr Maxima... what u trying to spend?
    Doesn't have to be but you know a ? got to stunt. *shrugs*
    I thinking about putting 10k on anything and building my credit after that
    CracceR wrote: »
    300 needs alotta gas
    Yeah I saw on the website 19miles every fill up or something.
    but that interior tho...

I saw an all black infinity
    infiniti-g35-01.jpg
    had a ? in tears... But I got the get on my grown an sexy.
  • major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "I thinking about putting 10k on anything and building my credit after that"

why...

listen.. dumping that kind of money in a depreciating asset is not a good idea. if you're in the military you might not drive it that often. my suggestion would be to lease a ride. this will also help you build a relationship with whatever manufacturer you go with and later if you want to buy or lease again you will have more incentives from that manufacturer
  • ocelot
    Options
    Yeah that's what I was thinking. Suppose I deploy or PCS to another country. Then I wouldnt know what to do with a new car. I'm looking up the pros can cons of leasing now.
  • wilberdmillz
    wilberdmillz Members Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @majorpain Leasing is a good if he plans on switching cars every few years, other wise its just wasting money.

OP as someone else said look into 2009+ Maximas because their body hasn't change much at all. As far as the 300 I like the new body style a lot but if I had a choice I'd get an older SRT8 model for cheaper.

To help assist you more, what are you looking for in a car? Sedan, Coupe? MPG's? Warranty? Ride Quality?
  • major pain
    Options
    @majorpain Leasing is a good if he plans on switching cars every few years, other wise its just wasting money.

OP as someone else said look into 2009+ Maximas because their body hasn't change much at all. As far as the 300 I like the new body style a lot but if I had a choice I'd get an older SRT8 model for cheaper.

To help assist you more, what are you looking for in a car? Sedan, Coupe? MPG's? Warranty? Ride Quality?

this is a very narrow view of looking at leasing..there are more benefits than just switching cars after the lease is up
  • wilberdmillz
    Options
    major pain wrote: »

this is a very narrow view of looking at leasing..there are more benefits than just switching cars after the lease is up

@Majorpain
    That was just one example though. We don't know how much the OP drives and most leases have mileage caps too. When leasing you can't do many Modifications to the car either, although I've heard of people doing stuff without the dealers knowledge but thats not very cost effective. I know most cars are a depreciating asset but I'd rather own a car after 3-4 years of paying on it than having to give it back with nothing to show for it.

Out of curiosity what do you think are some other benifits of leasing?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • wilberdmillz
    Options
    @emmholla
    You're correct with everything you listed, you can get all that when buying to own a new vehicle as well. The OP is looking at new vehicles, other posters and myself are the ones that mentioned used vehicles.

As I said before the main benefit of leasing is the ability to stay in something new/up to date and there is nothing wrong with that. It's just not for me lol.

• ocelot
    Options
    So what would yall do if you know theres a possibility of being in the desert for 6 months or moving out of the country and living there. I'm the type to buy something but I don't want to ship a new car to Japan or leave it with my folks. But I do want to have something of my own and not feel like I'm just driving a rental car.
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    get a old school on 6's and ride around with a shotgun
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Try the new avalon.
  • major pain
    edited January 2013
    Options
    EmM HoLLa. wrote: »
    I have owned probably 10 cars so far.. And I bought all of them used accept for my current car..

When Leasing you are basically paying for the depreciation of the car.. No more no less..

You are driving a brand new car.. You dont have to worry about the history of that particular vehicle because its brand new..

You are covered by the new car warranty provided by the manufacturer.. Meaning you have piece of mind.. This was big for me.. Used cars can become a money pit and it can happen very very fast..

Some car companies offer free scheduled maintenance.. Which means. Brakes, Oil changes, Wiper Blades, any flushes you may need are covered under the maintenance plan.. This was also big for me.. By being under warranty and having the maintenance package you basically fix your cost associated with your car.. You know what you monthly expense will be and wont have to worry about expensive car bills coming at the worst possible time..

You can sometimes trade the car in and make money depending on how popular the car is and how strong the used car market it.. I have seen people trade in their lease half way through and walk away with 10k..

Those are some of the benefits.. There are many.. My advice to you is to visit car boards like the ones on edmunds.com or even the Nissan or Chrysler board and see what people that are leasing the cars you are interested in might have to say..

This right here.. not to mention the potential tax benefits as well... for a person in the OPs situation, a lease is probably a very good option to consider.

1. He has cash on hand.
    2. He wants a new car.
    3. Possibility he wont get to drive it that much. (Mileage cap wont apply)
    4. Can always buy it or finance into a loan at lease end.

One thing people fail to realize is that leases are negotiated as well. Those commercials you see about putting down X money and paying Y a month are just promotions dealers run to get people in there.

You can get into a lease without putting anything but a security deposit down (refundable at lease end btw) and destination charge in most cases AND pay a note close to those promotions. EVERYTHING is negotiable when buying or leasing a car. Its all about what you know about car negotiating and your credit situation.

Like EmHolla said you are paying for the depreciation. Consider this, if you have the dealer run the numbers between financing and leasing, the note will be lower leasing. If you put the difference into a savings account every month, at lease end you could knock off a huge chunk of remaining residual value of that car and finance into a short term loan or you could walk away with your cash + interest. Often times the dealer will offer you even MORE incentives to keep that vehicle.

Start at leasetrader.com and see the type of low/no money down type deals and you will see what I mean.

And I dont know about you ? ...but I'm past "modifying" cars. ? a waste of time. My daily driver has a small setup, but its also just for work or if I want to ride with the top down. My "nice" car has damn near everything in it.
  • wilberdmillz
    Options
    @Majorpain, after the OP's last post I'd agree with you. Honestly if he's about to be out of the country for 6-12 months or possibly moving to another country period I wouldn't be looking to buy or lease a car in the states right now. I'd wait to see where I'm going then buy a car in the country I'm moving to, or just wait til you come back and get a car.
  • Cinco
    Cinco Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 5,097 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ocelot wrote: »

I saw an all black infinity
    infiniti-g35-01.jpg
    had a ? in tears... But I got the get on my grown an sexy.
    Nice whip.
  • TheBoyRo
    TheBoyRo Members Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the 09-now maximas look TERRIBLE.................but other than that, they are great cars
  • ocelot
    Options
    Update: just found out I'm deploying to the desert....SMMFH!!!

I'll bump this thread in 6 months I guess.
  • major pain
    Options
    Good luck out there.
  • ocelot
    Options
    major pain wrote: »
    Good luck out there.

Preeshiate it bruh... Thanks for the help.