Does "race" exist in modern humans????

Options

Comments

• Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Are humans too genetically similar to be classified as various races????
    FuriousOne wrote: »
    Props to @Oceanic for keeping up with this nonsense. Your patience makes me want to investigate the tenants of Buddhism. Also, Buddhist monks are the only ones i ever see proving what they preach. Dudes be do some crazy ? with their bodies.

I'm still a work in progress.
    The fact that Buddhism is a set of ppractices rather than a faith based belief system is also what caught my attention.
    If you ever have any questions, let me know.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Props to @Oceanic for keeping up with this nonsense. Your patience makes me want to investigate the tenants of Buddhism. Also, Buddhist monks are the only ones i ever see proving what they preach. Dudes be doing some crazy ? with their bodies.
    It will teach you about yourself, the more you understand about yourself, the more you understand about others, the more you understand about others, the less strife you have with them.
    kai_valya wrote: »
    8-|

you sure told me just now didn't you BA?

lol, hilarious
    Who can tell YOU anything?
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It might not exist..but it does matter
    /thread
  • BiblicalAtheist
    Options
    Thank you for proving me right.
  • Gold_Certificate
    Gold_Certificate Members Posts: 13,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Word, I unbury posts by default, unless it contains faggotry of some form.
  • Gold_Certificate
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Word, I unbury posts by default, unless it contains faggotry of some form.

lol, that's a good game plan, but how do you know if there isn't some faggotry contained in the buried post without clicking on it?

and i wish there was an option to either give just one or 5 flags but it doesn't let you differentiate as a mod, at least we can react to our own posts, but no one other than du really does this
    I will admit, I have been burned in the past.nh

Wait, have you ever tried burying your own post?
  • Gold_Certificate
    Options
    Very informative.
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why did our friend "Bambu" got banned?
  • BiblicalAtheist
    Options
    Wacking Kai repeatedly calling her a dumb ? is threatening to her esona.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options
    @IRS you're wise enough to know that that's not how you win an argument. It's cute and funny when used properly but his activities were borderline stalking. Dude was reckless towards everybody and he was polluting threads with his wackness. It's not like Kai didn't offer him proper rebuttals in the thread in question. What was the point of him doing all that extra ? like stalking her in other threads and ? up the debate thread, trying to intimidate other mods?
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited January 2013
    Options
    And I said before, it's a wonder people even respond to him then if they know very well how he will react. No one was ever taught as a child to just ignore them?
  • Bodhi
    Options
    I debate with him because I learn about whatever topic we are discussing at the time and I can, at the same time, practice patience.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL, Bambi is gone and I hope for good, he was such a horrible poster.
  • ohhhla
    Options
    Yea, I'm with BA.

I think banning him was unjustified.

He was funny and I enjoy his rants
  • Bodhi
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I don't disagree with him being banned:
    Room devoted to religious discussion and enlightenment. Share your experiences and your beliefs. Learn about those of others. ZERO TOLERANCE FOR ANTAGONISM

and yeah, the whole stalking thing was a little overboard.
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    Everyone gets too emotional in these sub-forums, I peek here at least twice a day, but it's the same old rehash ? , your an atheist, your a christian, your a muslim, your a buddhist, and you don't know what you believe on spirtual level. No one is budging or trying to be budge, the only threads that can work if you have evidence on the topic you are talking about and handle it. WaterProof and Oceanic threads are a prime example of that.
  • ohhhla
    Options
    But y'all got admit that he was hilarious.
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    He wasn't funny because he really believed what he believed and I do not find mental illness funny. If he was trolling than I can see it being funny, but you could tell he wasn't trolling folks he was really adamant about his beliefs.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    Options
    Riiiight, that's why you didn't give two ? until he started crawling all over your ass.
    .IRS. wrote: »
    Wacking Kai repeatedly calling her a dumb ? is threatening to her esona.

once again, i don't know what an "esona" is, but sure lets go with that

you really have an old lady ? for me huh, i must say, it's kinda flattering in a disturbing way

That's odd, I thought you like people getting a ? for you, male or female. Guess my ? rubs you the wrong way, not to mention for finding my ? to disturbing, you sure don't miss the chance to give it some attention, shwing! Come on baby, kiss it again, it feels niIiIice.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol, wtf is going on here. Action Jackson gone now? Isn't this dude second time? This is madness, this is Sparta.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    Dude was reckless towards everybody and he was polluting threads with his wackness.
    polluting threads remains my primary issue with said posting
  • Bodhi
    Options
    Wikipedia wrote: »
    Human genetic variation is the genetic differences both within and among populations. There may be multiple variants of any given gene in the human population (genes), leading to polymorphism. Many genes are not polymorphic, meaning that only a single allele is present in the population: the gene is then said to be fixed
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_genetic_variation.

What this article describes is fixed alleles that only appear in only one population.........

Thusly shattering the false presupposition that humans are too genetically similar to be classified as various races....

You misunderstand the article you quote from. Polymorphism suggests that more than one phenotype exists within the same species. Like your article says, the varying phenotypes are manifestations of genetic variants of an allele. But what being fixed means is that there is only one existing allele and thus one phenotype and no variants of it within the species. In other words, a fixed allele is a gene that is the same throughout the entire human species.
  • Bodhi
    edited January 2013
    Options

The article actually states;

Wikipedia wrote: »
    In population genetics, fixation is the change in a gene pool from a situation where there exists at least two variants of a particular gene (allele) to a situation where only one of the alleles remains.

I know. That's also what I said but you're misunderstanding it. Fixation is when two or more variants of an allele no longer occur and only one allele remains. So again, a fixed allele is a gene that is the same throughout the entire human species.
  • Bodhi
    edited January 2013
    Options
    you remind me of someone but I can't quite put my finger on it..
  • Bodhi
    Options
    Variants of skin pigment are clinically distributed and observable across the globe.