So what futuristic innovation shown in a Sci-Fi series is most interesting to you?

Options
The Lonious Monk
The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'd go for the cyberbrain in the Ghost in the Shell series. Basically, it's a cybernetic attachment made to the brain that gives everyone's brain the capabilities of smartphones. Just think about that for a second.

You could use a virtual telepathy. In other words you could communicate mind to mind using a wireless connection.
You'd basically have an internal GPS that could sync with others so that you'd never be lost and could always locate people if you needed them.
You'd have instant access to a large repository of information i.e. the internet in your head.
Visuals can basically be connected directly to your optics, in other words you can stream video in your mind.
You can sync with technology and control it with your mind.

Those are things we see done in the show, but the possibilities are endless. Like I said, it's basically like having a smartphone in your head.

Comments

• MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'd go for the cyberbrain in the Ghost in the Shell series. Basically, it's a cybernetic attachment made to the brain that gives everyone's brain the capabilities of smartphones. Just think about that for a second.

You could use a virtual telepathy. In other words you could communicate mind to mind using a wireless connection.
    You'd basically have an internal GPS that could sync with others so that you'd never be lost and could always locate people if you needed them.
    You'd have instant access to a large repository of information i.e. the internet in your head.
    Visuals can basically be connected directly to your optics, in other words you can stream video in your mind.

Those are things we see done in the show, but the possibilities are endless. Like I said, it's basically like having a smartphone in your head.

I love that series but cybernetic brain is wack . How many times was somebodies brain hacked . Foh with cyberization. It doesn't seem to serve any real purpose .
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited January 2013
    Options

I love that series but cybernetic brain is wack . How many times was somebodies brain hacked . Foh with cyberization. It doesn't seem to serve any real purpose .

Yeah that is a drawback, but let's be real, it's rare for people to have the kinda grade A hacking skills that were required to cause damage to someone's brain in that series.

I don't see how you say cyberization doesn't serve any real purpose though. In that series at least, cyberization provided for some pretty significant upgrades to all the people who had it done.
    The Ember from Fringe.
    ? would solve alot of problems.
    but only on like nuc facilities, the cdc, darpa, that sink hole in NO....

i want the brain powers from Scanners tho...

I don't watch Fringe. What does the Ember do?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MC The Rapper
    Options
    Like what ? I didn't see any real benefit and hacking then is like hacking now , all it takes is a little know how it doesn't take a lot . Also it would make it easier for the government to read your thoughts , implant fake memories etc. Like I said it has no real benefit . It may for people who had brain damage or something but for regular functioning human being it has zero benefit .
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    time travel
    but i dont think its ever gonna happen unlike that cybernetic cyberbrain ? is only a question of time
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Like what ? I didn't see any real benefit and hacking then is like hacking now , all it takes is a little know how it doesn't take a lot . Also it would make it easier for the government to read your thoughts , implant fake memories etc. Like I said it has no real benefit . It may for people who had brain damage or something but for regular functioning human being it has zero benefit .

I already laid the benefits out. Like I said, it would basically be like having smartphone components and more intrinsic to your very being. There are countless benefits to that.

Now if you're saying that the risks outweigh the benefits, I can understand that stance. Saying there is no benefit to something like that is just silly. And again, if you watched the show, you'd know that only extremely high level hackers were able take over people's cyber brains. It wasn't just average dudes with some computer capabilities pulling those stunts. Pretty much the only ones we saw doing that were the members of the Matoko's group and people like the Laughing Man who were one in a million talents. Basically, you argument is like saying there is no benefit to using computers to handle personal business because there are hackers out there that could get to it. Given the amount of business handled on the net on a daily basis, that would be a silly statement.
  • WYRM
    WYRM Members Posts: 993 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The "replicator" from Star Trek " and Lightsabers.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    lol The invention of lightsabers would lead to a lot of people cutting their own limbs off. Don't forget, having the force is pretty integral to proper usage of lightsabers.
  • MC The Rapper
    Options

I already laid the benefits out. Like I said, it would basically be like having smartphone components and more intrinsic to your very being. There are countless benefits to that.

Now if you're saying that the risks outweigh the benefits, I can understand that stance. Saying there is no benefit to something like that is just silly. And again, if you watched the show, you'd know that only extremely high level hackers were able take over people's cyber brains. It wasn't just average dudes with some computer capabilities pulling those stunts. Pretty much the only ones we saw doing that were the members of the Matoko's group and people like the Laughing Man who were one in a million talents. Basically, you argument is like saying there is no benefit to using computers to handle personal business because there are hackers out there that could get to it. Given the amount of business handled on the net on a daily basis, that would be a silly statement.

That's a ? comparison , now you would have something if you said cybernetic bodies but the brain bit no because your brain >>> smartphone , your brain has unlimited storage and can do things a smartphone can not and trust if people could hack into peoples mind and then be able to control them they would we talking about taking outta of fictional universe and putting them in the real world and their more than a few class A hackers in our world .

We talking about the brain here not a pc , most people don't keep their most precious information on their computers or their identity do they. with cybernatic brains you can have your identity,memory,etc can be erased and controlled with out knowing it they could hack into the senses of people as well and make see and feel things that are not there again where are the benefits you speak of . being able to get apps for your medulla doesn't seem like a benefit seems like a distraction.
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited January 2013
    Options

That's a ? comparison , now you would have something if you said cybernetic bodies but the brain bit no because your brain >>> smartphone , your brain has unlimited storage and can do things a smartphone can not and trust if people could hack into peoples mind and then be able to control them they would we talking about taking outta of fictional universe and putting them in the real world and their more than a few class A hackers in our world .

We talking about the brain here not a pc , most people don't keep their most precious information on their computers or their identity do they. with cybernatic brains you can have your identity,memory,etc can be erased and controlled with out knowing it they could hack into the senses of people as well and make see and feel things that are not there again where are the benefits you speak of . being able to get apps for your medulla doesn't seem like a benefit seems like a distraction.

What the ? are you talking about dude? Can your brain connect and communicate directly with another person's brain across hundreds of miles? No. Can your brain connect directly to the internet to get instant access to a near limitless amount of information? No. Can the average person perform complex mathematics or even relatively difficult arithmetic in their head in a fraction of a second? No. Can you pinpoint your exact location on a map as well as that of landmarks of interest and people you're connnected to? No. Can your brain record perfect recreations of events that you witness and then store them as files that can be shared? No. Can your brain directly access and control practically any technology? No. Can you back-up your brain so that if you're ever injured, you can have yourself transferred to another brain and continue living as you were? No. You know what can do all these things and a lot more? Smartphones. You know what could give a person's brain the capability of doing those things, the cyberbrain implant in GitS.

Seriously, do you even know what you're arguing? What's the point of arguing that the brain >>> smartphone? Who said it wasn't. It's not like I'm talking about replacing the brain with a smart phone. That's not what the cyberbrain was. It was a cybernetic attachment to the brain that enhanced its operation. And once again pretty much everything you saw them do with it in GitS are things that people can do now with their smartphones hence me saying it's like having a smarphone in your brain.

And lol at your last paragraph. All these people having their identity stolen these days because of the things they do on their computer. Newsflash, you don't have to have a cyberbrain for everything important about you in this society to be taken and abused. And yes I've already acknowledged that cyberizing the brain opens it to cyber attacks, but once again you're exaggerating how much of a danger it posed. It's not like the average person was walking around getting their brain hacked every five minutes. In GitS, cyberbrains had levels of protection far beyond what we see with normal computers now. It was basically stated in the show that only the best of the best hackers could get past those defenses. Which is why we only saw a few people capable of doing it, and they weren't going around terrorizing average people.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Teleportation. ? a series, I am just tired of commuting places. I would get so much more ? done in a day if I didn't have to waste valuable time to get to my destination to complete said tasks.

• The Lonious Monk
    edited January 2013
    Options
    RodrigueZz wrote: »
    Teleportation. ? a series, I am just tired of commuting places. I would get so much more ? done in a day if I didn't have to waste valuable time to get to my destination to complete said tasks.

I feel you on this. This would be my number 2. Think how much better your weekends would be if you could literally go anywhere on the planet in the blink of an eye. Only problem is you know they'd make you pay out the ass to go any extensive distance.

• WYRM
    WYRM Members Posts: 993 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol The invention of lightsabers would lead to a lot of people cutting their own limbs off. Don't forget, having the force is pretty integral to proper usage of lightsabers.

Sorry if I misunderstood the original question of "So what futuristic innovation shown in a Sci-Fi series is most interesting to you?". My bad I guess.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

Sorry if I misunderstood the original question of "So what futuristic innovation shown in a Sci-Fi series is most interesting to you?". My bad I guess.

Lol I think you misunderstood me. I wasn't bashing your choice. I was just stating a likely outcome of the advent of that tech.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm not ready for lightsabers b.

Fights inside/outside the club would never be the same if they released them to the public.

Crazy kids would get their hands on one and chop up their classmates
  • MC The Rapper
    Options

What the ? are you talking about dude? Can your brain connect and communicate directly with another person's brain across hundreds of miles? No. Can your brain connect directly to the internet to get instant access to a near limitless amount of information? No. Can the average person perform complex mathematics or even relatively difficult arithmetic in their head in a fraction of a second? No. Can you pinpoint your exact location on a map as well as that of landmarks of interest and people you're connnected to? No. Can your brain record perfect recreations of events that you witness and then store them as files that can be shared? No. Can your brain directly access and control practically any technology? No. Can you back-up your brain so that if you're ever injured, you can have yourself transferred to another brain and continue living as you were? No. You know what can do all these things and a lot more? Smartphones. You know what could give a person's brain the capability of doing those things, the cyberbrain implant in GitS.

Seriously, do you even know what you're arguing? What's the point of arguing that the brain >>> smartphone? Who said it wasn't. It's not like I'm talking about replacing the brain with a smart phone. That's not what the cyberbrain was. It was a cybernetic attachment to the brain that enhanced its operation. And once again pretty much everything you saw them do with it in GitS are things that people can do now with their smartphones hence me saying it's like having a smarphone in your brain.

And lol at your last paragraph. All these people having their identity stolen these days because of the things they do on their computer. Newsflash, you don't have to have a cyberbrain for everything important about you in this society to be taken and abused. And yes I've already acknowledged that cyberizing the brain opens it to cyber attacks, but once again you're exaggerating how much of a danger it posed. It's not like the average person was walking around getting their brain hacked every five minutes. In GitS, cyberbrains had levels of protection far beyond what we see with normal computers now. It was basically stated in the show that only the best of the best hackers could get past those defenses. Which is why we only saw a few people capable of doing it, and they weren't going around terrorizing average people.

Did you see the whole series ? the second part of the series they showed a Leader of Government agency basically
    instigate a civil war and then a Nuclear attack all through the use of cyberbrain hacking and misinformation . But but
    you can talk to somebody directly in your brain . Again it had no benefit people in the series they didn't become
    super geniuses because they got cyberized it was just another waste of technology . Lets not talk about the
    cyberbrain disease and the cure that the government health agency withheld which started the laughing man incident
    to begin with. "Well people do all that stuff now" your helping my argument. I know you didn't see all the series
    because they had groups of little kids hacking the defense barriers in people's brains as well. Lets not talk about the
    self aware machine that hacked into a guys Memories and changed their whole personalities to do their ? work .
    That was in the first movie .
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

Did you see the whole series ? the second part of the series they showed a Leader of Government agency basically
    instigate a civil war and then a Nuclear attack all through the use of cyberbrain hacking and misinformation . But but
    you can talk to somebody directly in your brain . Again it had no benefit people in the series they didn't become
    super geniuses because they got cyberized it was just another waste of technology . Lets not talk about the
    cyberbrain disease and the cure that the government health agency withheld which started the laughing man incident
    to begin with. "Well people do all that stuff now" your helping my argument. I know you didn't see all the series
    because they had groups of little kids hacking the defense barriers in people's brains as well. Lets not talk about the
    self aware machine that hacked into a guys Memories and changed their whole personalities to do their ? work .
    That was in the first movie .

I don't think you understand what a benefit is. A benefit doesn't mean that there are no negatives associated with the usage of something. It also doesn't mean that it has to boost a user's ability times 1000. Microwaves have negative effects associated with them and just because you can microwave a meal doesn't mean your a gourmet cook. That doesn't change the fact that microwaves have the BENEFIT of allowing you to cook food quicker and with less preparation.

It's the same thing with the cyberbrain. Yes, there would be some potential negatives associate with the creation and integration of the technology. And no, it wouldn't represent some kind of artificial skip in the evolution of humans. Still neither of those points negates the fact that such a device would provide tons of benefits to each individual, some of which I've already named. I don't even think you're understanding what you're arguing anymore. You keep on saying there is no benefit but have yet to shoot down any of the benefits I already named.

Again, saying that the benefits don't outweigh the risks is one thing, and that's a valid stance. But saying that there are no benefits is just stupid, and there is no way you could have watched the show and make that claim given that pretty much every second of the show had people using their cyberbrains to do things that are not possible for us in the real world.

But hey, maybe you think my examples were too trivial. Well how about this? Having a cyberbrain could inarguably save and extend lives. People who suffered from seemingly fatal sicknesses and injuries in that universe could be saved by transferring their brains to fully prostethic bodies. That was possible because of the presence of cyberbrains But even farther than that, it was shown that people could actually download their conciousness via their cyber brains essentially making it possible for everyone to live forever in some form. This was shown in the episode where Makoto went what was essentially an artificial heaven. It was basically just this virtual world that some guy created and a bunch of people downloaded their consciousness too and decided to never leave because they liked it so much.
  • MC The Rapper
    Options

• 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The smell a scope from futurama!!!
    538px-smell-o-scope_528_poster.png
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

Uhhh did you not read what I wrote. What I put implies that cyberbrains give the potential for everyone to become virtually immortal if that's their choice. Not just people with brain damage.
  • MC The Rapper
    Options

Uhhh did you not read what I wrote. What I put implies that cyberbrains give the potential for everyone to become virtually immortal if that's their choice. Not just people with brain damage.

immortality hahaha right
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

immortality hahaha right

What's so funny? There would be no time limit on people's lives if they could just change bodies at will or upload themselves into a virtual world and remain there forever.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Time travel in the future is possible, you just need to go at tremondous speed, but no coming back, but to time travel will take at least half the universe mass to be able to do it, so you will actually die in the process LOL

Maybe a gundam or something, I have to think about that. Now if we are talking fantasy items I have a bunch of things I would love to have.
  • bambu
    bambu Members Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    Time travel in the future is possible, you just need to go at tremondous speed, but no coming back, but to time travel will take at least half the universe mass to be able to do it, so you will actually die in the process LOL

Maybe a gundam or something, I have to think about that. Now if we are talking fantasy items I have a bunch of things I would love to have.

This ? @Ajackson17 is one of the dumbest ? in the IC........