Worst Sports City in America

caddo man
caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2013 in From the Cheap Seats
What city is the worst sports city around? I hear Cleveland, Miami, Atlanta, and LA thrown around all the time but why are they considered bad sports cities? Attendance to games, always complaining, never win....etc.
Vote in the poll and explain to me why they are the "WORST SPORT CITY IN AMERICA"

A paprameter to keep in mind.
The city should at least have two major sports teams. MLS included. So No OKC, Sacramento, San Antonio ....etc.

Worse Sports City in America 69 votes

Los Angeles
2%
af.r.i.c.a.TheIraq 2 votes
Atlanta
21%
eyes lowafromothatni99ajahmalachewon87CymicaldaneFlyFreeCtG MackTheBoyRoTRILLip BrooksIgot5onitZydecoShawtyMatt-indyman872 Drawlzvince_vince 15 votes
Cleveland
50%
dwade206almighty breezedrbeefCP203infamous114Got Em ShookHustleThaDonStewspit_fiyaunspoken_respectPanchoYoSanchoOuncemanWill MunnyIbexD.D.S.Miltown MarauderMister B.DillaDeafnumbaz...80's baby_Menace_ 35 votes
Miami
11%
rooster_cogburnCutler 26 INT's LOL!caddo manS.jR.ShizlanskySir LurkalotLos216Carthaginian 8 votes
Another city not mentioned
13%
buttuh_bfranknittiBDBIIDIdiopathic JokerIamtheVILLEMr.BocarioStillFaggyAFericb4prezGod7the_Demon_Killer 9 votes

Comments

• Cymicaldane
    Cymicaldane Members Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Atlanta
    Cleveland will be too obvious. Has ATL won anything since the braves back in the 90's ?
  • caddo man
    Miami
    My pick Miami. I will explain later.
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Atlanta
    it depends really. cleveland is just terrible but they do have passionate fans who actually care.

i guess it just depends on if you are saying who has the worst fanbase or just who has the worst teams.
  • Livefromclayco
    Livefromclayco Members Posts: 14,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cleveland
    ? don't say Cleveland lost for nothing
  • proud_babydaddy
    proud_babydaddy Members Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    Cleveland
    Atlanta has 3 major sports. A nascar race has hosted the olympics. Has hosted the superbowl. Has college bowl games and ncaa tournament games. Also had a wnba team in the finals. Come on. The braves championship was over cleveland too.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While i don't like the bandwagon fans in miami and LA you cannot blame them for not showing up to games as much. Im a die hard fan of my squads accros the northeast but ? its cold as ? around here so sports are sometimes the only thing to do.

? if i lived in LA or Miami id prolly be going to the beach more or chillen at nightlife more because year round the weather is crisp as ? . And the older i get (im 22) the less i worry about watching the majority of sports so much with the exception of football which is easy to trace. Im more about going out on the town at the club/bar or just having a social life.

Also to me i think facilities should also be a category for consideration. Ive been to the A and i ? with turner field ? is dope as ? and phillips arena and the georgia dome are straight too even if half the male population isn't straight lmao.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cleveland will be too obvious. Has ATL won anything since the braves back in the 90's ?

Has Chicago won anything since the bulls back in the 90's? not sure if they got a hockey ship or not

But my point is I can't call a city a bad sports city just b/c the teams haven't won anything. Chicago is one of the best sports city in the country. But I do wonder at what point do folks go from supporting their team to being gullible. Like they keep showing up for Cubs when it's obvious the ownership doesn't seem to care about getting the team right. At what point do fans need to stop showing up to show ownership they they won't keep supporting a loser. But i can respect the fans for that more than folks down MIA showing up in the 2nd quarter for Heat games. Or the 12 ppl that showed up for Marlin games last year.

• Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Cleveland
    Cleveland.

Terrible weather, DIE-hard fans, and ALL ? teams. The last team that was good was the '97 Indians, and Jose Mesa STILL can't come back to the city. I'm sorry, I meant the '08 Cavs....and look what happened there. But what takes the cake for me is the fact that soooomany famous nicknames for sports plays happened against Cleveland at one point or another:

The Drive
    The Fumble
    The Shot
    (To a greater extent) The Decision

Then you add in the vat of ether that is Art Modell taking the team out of cLEAVEland, moving them to Baltimore, and them not only getting to Super Bowl before the Browns ever did, but winning one....and now in position to get a second.

All that adds up to Cleveland getting the only win they seemingly ever had here. Atlanta is a good second, but at least they've won a major title in the last twenty (stops, calculates)....two years.
  • Cymicaldane
    Cymicaldane Members Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Atlanta
    Thats a fair argument Lamont. I give you that
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Atlanta
    lets see if cleveland will lose again
  • J. Will
    J. Will Members Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cleveland
    Cleveland with Dallas in a close 2nd
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    lamontbdc wrote: »

Has Chicago won anything since the bulls back in the 90's? not sure if they got a hockey ship or not

But my point is I can't call a city a bad sports city just b/c the teams haven't won anything. Chicago is one of the best sports city in the country. But I do wonder at what point do folks go from supporting their team to being gullible. Like they keep showing up for Cubs when it's obvious the ownership doesn't seem to care about getting the team right. At what point do fans need to stop showing up to show ownership they they won't keep supporting a loser. But i can respect the fans for that more than folks down MIA showing up in the 2nd quarter for Heat games. Or the 12 ppl that showed up for Marlin games last year.

the blackhawks won the stanley cup in 2010. They also are rivaling the chicago bulls attendance lately even though the hockey set up has less seats. And i fully agree with your point about the difference between a team winning and a cities support.
  • D.D.S.
    D.D.S. Members Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cleveland
    cleveland stay losing
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Monizzle14 wrote: »

the blackhawks won the stanley cup in 2010. They also are rivaling the chicago bulls attendance lately even though the hockey set up has less seats. And i fully agree with your point about the difference between a team winning and a cities support.

Ok. It's like that here with the Caps. I'm sure they sell out way more than the Wizards, but it's b/c they are winning and the Zards stink. Once again i'm kinda out the loop on hockey but whitey shows up big time downtown for Caps games. DC is 50/50 sports city. It's hard to judge tho. It's Redskins 1st and foremost over everything. Then I would say basketball, but the Wizards are just so ? that folks don't want to see it. But if they were .500 team they would sell out every game. Georgetown, George Mason, and Maryland all get a lot of love. High school basketball/AAU/summer leagues are huge in DC. All my friends love college football but none of us love the teams around here. ? Maryland football games hardly even are televised locally. Right now the Nationals are on fire and I expect them to sellout a lot of games but baseball is still new in DC. Folks in DC just like to be seen at a big event and will just go do other ? at times once the team starts to stink unless it's the Redskins.
  • caddo man
    Miami
    caddo man wrote: »

Why I picked Miami. Yes it is nice as hell there. The weather is great the night life is great but........Every sport they have has the same problem. No one shows up for the games. The Heat of all teams haev trouble with people showing up late. I know Cubans are mostly African so I guess there CP time gene kicks in, huh?

But after all that, MFer aint leaving Miami. The Marlins will keep making money becuase of All Star games and travelers making the trip to see there team in a vacation spot.
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Cleveland

Why I picked Miami. Yes it is nice as hell there. The weather is great the night life is great but........Every sport they have has the same problem. No one shows up for the games. The Heat of all teams haev trouble with people showing up late. I know Cubans are mostly African so I guess there CP time gene kicks in, huh?

But after all that, MFer aint leaving Miami. The Marlins will keep making money becuase of All Star games and travelers making the trip to see there team in a vacation spot.

Lol there hasn't been an All-Star game in Miami in decades because it coincides with so many events down here that it would be a traffic nightmare.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Monizzle14 wrote: »

Ok. It's like that here with the Caps. I'm sure they sell out way more than the Wizards, but it's b/c they are winning and the Zards stink. Once again i'm kinda out the loop on hockey but whitey shows up big time downtown for Caps games. DC is 50/50 sports city. It's hard to judge tho. It's Redskins 1st and foremost over everything. Then I would say basketball, but the Wizards are just so ? that folks don't want to see it. But if they were .500 team they would sell out every game. Georgetown, George Mason, and Maryland all get a lot of love. High school basketball/AAU/summer leagues are huge in DC. All my friends love college football but none of us love the teams around here. ? Maryland football games hardly even are televised locally. Right now the Nationals are on fire and I expect them to sellout a lot of games but baseball is still new in DC. Folks in DC just like to be seen at a big event and will just go do other ? at times once the team starts to stink unless it's the Redskins.

No your absolutely right i actually know the DMV area fairly well since i used to spend summers with my aunt down there from age 11-14 first in bowie then to laurel right on the border of pg and anne arundel county. As a northeast ? i used to go see the O's and yankees often and because of how bad the team was nobody showed up....but when my pops and mom went to a game in 93 or 94 that ? was sold out they told me cause that was when ripken and crew were going ham in the AL. Lol them redskins fans crazy as hell down there in DC tho. Lol Maryland football is a ? joke now my cuz went there and my uncle would visit just for the tailgating in the mid 2000's. ? had the ? from underarmour not graduated from that school that team wouldn't be ? .
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Miami
    UM games be empty
    Marlin games be empty
    Heat games be empty
    Dolphins games be empty.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Has to be New York

lol as a fellow patriots fan imma have to say you cant be acting holier than thou. Boston is the most secret bandwagon sports towns in the country. I remember the days of foxboro being empty as ? and know people who had season tickets before there was an actual waiting list. Before the Big 3 came the garden had more black and yellow than a wiz khalifia video shoot. The bruins lost attendance in the late 90's early 2000's when they were not as competitive. And ? don't know this but in the mid 90's fenway was not full at all you could get tickets at the gate and ? .

And also even as a pats fan (hate the rest of the teams in boston) the fanbase is hella hypocritical. When the big 3 came everyone was happy as ? but then lebron bosh and wade join up and ? crying about how thats not "fair". Red sox fans hated the evil empire but then the red sox starting buying players that were cocky and lazy and they aint say ? . As a pats fan i get sick of the spy gate ? after we beat a local team like the jets but at the same time we lose a game last week and people on facebook ? about how ray lewis had a murder trial.

• 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eh I ? up. I was thinking about FANS, not the totality of things.
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh nvm...I picked Miami when I made that last post but didn't click vote...
  • KingJamal
    KingJamal Members Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol @ Miami having Wade & Lebron and there's still a buncha empty seats
  • caddo man
    edited January 2013
    Miami

Lol there hasn't been an All-Star game in Miami in decades because it coincides with so many events down here that it would be a traffic nightmare.

Just saw they are giving the 2015 to Cincinnati. Well I guess 2017 is their best try.
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Cleveland
    KingJamal wrote: »

In the 1st qtr lol. Trust me, it fills up...I can't say that for the other teams in Miami though.
  • thatni99ajahmal
    thatni99ajahmal Members Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Atlanta
    KingJamal wrote: »

Hmmm the Heat number 3 in attendence for home games talk what you know..
    http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance/_/sort/homePct

Noone attend the U games bcuz the play in the Dolphins staduim and its away from the school plus they arent on top of their ? ..
    Marlins be fire selling the team every other year never know what product will be on the field..
    Dolphins attendence was actually up last year..