Worst Sports City in America

Options

Comments

• greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dumb thread concept, IMO.

Only people that would give a ? about these aspects are bandwagoners or casual fans.

cleaveland lawst in so many ways, but they do have some of the most loyal fans (the whole midwest does.)

ATL is sports heaven if you LOVE sports. Several teams, always hosting Super Bowls, All star games, Damn near every athlete lives there, etc, etc. Lots of sports bars and/or strip clubs to watch sports, etc. Falcons and Braves have loyal fanbase. If there's a big game in ATL, best believe the Dome, Phillips, or Turner will be packed.

And L.A. has loyal fans and plenty of outlets for sports fans too. They just get overshadowed by the "rep" of having bandwagon celebrity fans.

The "worst" city to me would be a city or state that doesn't really give a ? about sports, nor do they have many outlets for sports fans.

To me, that would places like the Mountain/mid west states like Idaho, Montana, Dakotas, Montana. etc.

And if you gon' have those cities in the mix, you gotta put new orleans and even Dallas in the mix.

As a Falcon fan, I remember watching Aint's games with 5,000 fans in the seats. And it seem like they just realized the Hornets came to town last year. lol

• infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options
    Cleveland
    Monizzle14 wrote: »
    Has to be New York

lol as a fellow patriots fan imma have to say you cant be acting holier than thou. Boston is the most secret bandwagon sports towns in the country. I remember the days of foxboro being empty as ? and know people who had season tickets before there was an actual waiting list. Before the Big 3 came the garden had more black and yellow than a wiz khalifia video shoot. The bruins lost attendance in the late 90's early 2000's when they were not as competitive. And ? don't know this but in the mid 90's fenway was not full at all you could get tickets at the gate and ? .

And also even as a pats fan (hate the rest of the teams in boston) the fanbase is hella hypocritical. When the big 3 came everyone was happy as ? but then lebron bosh and wade join up and ? crying about how thats not "fair". Red sox fans hated the evil empire but then the red sox starting buying players that were cocky and lazy and they aint say ? . As a pats fan i get sick of the spy gate ? after we beat a local team like the jets but at the same time we lose a game last week and people on facebook ? about how ray lewis had a murder trial.

I'm a New Yorker I have been since I moved to this country , my mom is american and from Vermont so I'm inclined to be a pats fan since its been in her family for aslong as I can remember , so football is relatively new to me in that respect, I mean I've been following since the drew bledsoe days , but I digress.

I say ny because they need to thank Eli , Asante Samuel and wes welker for the giants wins or it would just be a city that just lives on hype.

There are two football franchises and none of them even made the playoffs this year , there are two ball franchises that live off of hype more so than anything else , yet ny claims to be the best at everything .

Heck we only have an old camel selling records outchea

Bruh...New York has the Yankees...
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Has to be New York

lol as a fellow patriots fan imma have to say you cant be acting holier than thou. Boston is the most secret bandwagon sports towns in the country. I remember the days of foxboro being empty as ? and know people who had season tickets before there was an actual waiting list. Before the Big 3 came the garden had more black and yellow than a wiz khalifia video shoot. The bruins lost attendance in the late 90's early 2000's when they were not as competitive. And ? don't know this but in the mid 90's fenway was not full at all you could get tickets at the gate and ? .

And also even as a pats fan (hate the rest of the teams in boston) the fanbase is hella hypocritical. When the big 3 came everyone was happy as ? but then lebron bosh and wade join up and ? crying about how thats not "fair". Red sox fans hated the evil empire but then the red sox starting buying players that were cocky and lazy and they aint say ? . As a pats fan i get sick of the spy gate ? after we beat a local team like the jets but at the same time we lose a game last week and people on facebook ? about how ray lewis had a murder trial.

You said your 22?? You dont remember ? bruh, most of that ? never happened
  • Livefromclayco
    Livefromclayco Members Posts: 14,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cleveland
    Miami and Atlanta have the same situation to me it's a transplant heavy city with no allegiance to the in state team. Some people may hop a bandwagon (Heat,Falcons) but for the most part they stay quiet.
  • Young Gunner
    Young Gunner Members Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cleveland
    I think the thread title is a bit misleading. They're not really terrible but been on hard times of late.

At least Atlanta teams are expected to make the playoffs in some way (or at least compete for a spot)

The Heat won the title just last season. The Dolphins have a promising future and the Marlins have only been to the playoffs twice and won the world series both times I believe.

Cleveland teams havent been good in a while. The Indians are at the bottom of the division, The Cavs are pretty young but still got a ways to go and the Browns seem like they're in a rebuilding year every so often
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options
    allday1992 wrote: »
    Miami and Atlanta have the same situation to me it's a transplant heavy city with no allegiance to the in state team. Some people may hop a bandwagon (Heat,Falcons) but for the most part they stay quiet.

And then if their hometown team gets good they start fronting like they're the biggest fans of that team in the world.

I remember a St. Louis nikka I knew in ATL that was frontin' like he was a ? fan back when we played them in the playoffs. Yet the nikka didn't know that Marshall Faulk wasn't drafted by the Rams. smh

And being the well-traveled ? that I am, I'm realizing more and more that you can't judge a cities fans on what you see in stadiums and arena's on TV.

Before I moved to L.A. I believed that hype that all Lakers fans are bandwagon and nobody out here likes football.

I soon found out that was FAR from the truth. It's still messicans and nikkas out here salty about the Rams and the Raiders leaving. And they praying for this new squad to come. Dude told me the other day "? , I'll take the Jaguars RIGHT NOW." lmao.

And the *real* Lakers fans can't afford good seats in Staples because they're taken up by celebrities, groupies, rich kids, etc.

• BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cleveland
    Cleveland are passionate but delusional as ? i got some cousins from Ohio who are browns fans they ALL act like JaeMoons just bitter as ? bout their sucky ass sports history lls
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options
    Cleveland
    BlackAX410 wrote: »
    Cleveland are passionate but delusional as ? i got some cousins from Ohio who are browns fans they ALL act like JaeMoons just bitter as ? bout their sucky ass sports history lls

Jaemooms spends more time posting about Lebron and the Falcons than his own teams.
  • BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cleveland
    BlackAX410 wrote: »

Jaemooms spends more time posting about Lebron and the Falcons than his own teams.

i posted in da NFL thread wat my cousin texted my brotha lol. dude said we should be called the Baltimore Buzzards for stealin da browns glorious history nd prestige nd he was dead ass serious. everytime we go to Ohio he argues us down about how their fan base is betta then da ravens nd a bucnh of fuckery lol
  • Reggie80
    Reggie80 Members Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Pheonix-Cardinals Suns Coyotes not much there at least the Browns got championships
  • Livefromclayco
    Livefromclayco Members Posts: 14,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cleveland
    allday1992 wrote: »

And then if their hometown team gets good they start fronting like they're the biggest fans of that team in the world.

I remember a St. Louis nikka I knew in ATL that was frontin' like he was a ? fan back when we played them in the playoffs. Yet the nikka didn't know that Marshall Faulk wasn't drafted by the Rams. smh

And being the well-traveled ? that I am, I'm realizing more and more that you can't judge a cities fans on what you see in stadiums and arena's on TV.

Before I moved to L.A. I believed that hype that all Lakers fans are bandwagon and nobody out here likes football.

I soon found out that was FAR from the truth. It's still messicans and nikkas out here salty about the Rams and the Raiders leaving. And they praying for this new squad to come. Dude told me the other day "? , I'll take the Jaguars RIGHT NOW." lmao.

And the *real* Lakers fans can't afford good seats in Staples because they're taken up by celebrities, groupies, rich kids, etc.

Word to all the 49ers fans in Atlanta all of a sudden.

But I hate when people judge fans by who's in the arena that's terrible logic.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Another city not mentioned
    Reggie80 wrote: »
    Pheonix-Cardinals Suns Coyotes not much there at least the Browns got championships

Diamondbacks won the world series in 2001 by dethroning ny. We in AZ are loyal to our Suns
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Has to be New York

@its....JOHN B

what did i say here that is wrong everything i just explained is from when I was around 9 or 10 up untill current day?

the pats weren't popular till their first super bowl in boston: Fact
    fenway attendance was not consistent untill around 2002: Fact
    the bruins and celtics attendance went down in the late 90's: Fact

• caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Miami
    I think the thread title is a bit misleading. They're not really terrible but been on hard times of late. At least Atlanta teams are expected to make the playoffs in some way (or at least compete for a spot)

The Heat won the title just last season. The Dolphins have a promising future and the Marlins have only been to the playoffs twice and won the world series both times I believe.

Cleveland teams havent been good in a while. The Indians are at the bottom of the division, The Cavs are pretty young but still got a ways to go and the Browns seem like they're in a rebuilding year every so often

That is why all these cities were picked because they have a perception for different reasons.
    Cleveland fans are loyal as hell but their teams are usually bad.
    Atlanta fans are spread out. The city is full of transients. So their attendance to some games seem low. But actual number say otherwise.
    Same for Miami.
    LA gets that rep cause of the football teams not working out. But the baseball, basketball and recently the soccer teams are doing well. Hockey that is another story.
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Has to be New York

@its....JOHN B

what did i say here that is wrong everything i just explained is from when I was around 9 or 10 up untill current day?

the pats weren't popular till their first super bowl in boston: Fact
    fenway attendance was not consistent untill around 2002: Fact
    the bruins and celtics attendance went down in the late 90's: Fact

Pats play in Foxborough, their first superbowl was in 86 you werent born, 2001 was their 3rd superbowl but there first win so your off by two superbowls, you were what 2 years old when Bledsoe was drafted you cant speak for those teams, I was at that old stadium when all it was was cold benches and ? people falling all over the place and it filled up even when we werent that good

Yea it wasnt till what 02-03 when we started the sellout streak, but what before that the park was half empty? No obviously when your team isnt that good for a long period of time fans arent going to show up like its the playoffs, that goes for all franchises but the Sox always had one of the best fanbases and should no where near be labeled bandwagoners

Celtics werent relevant for more than a decade after the Bird era, but the garden would still fill up more than most franchises would, I remember back in the day they would show people going to Mavericks games to read books, the Heat had to call out their fan base, i'll say this its not like the 80's when it was a Celtics town, its a Patriots/Red Sox town, I know not every fan is like me but we didnt just start watching during the big 3 era, they just gave us something to cheer about, and if you follow this teams road games no other team has more fans on the road besides maybe the Lakers than the C's do, we're all over

fact of the matter is when your team isnt good your stadiums/arenas arent going to fill up night in night out
  • purpngold
    purpngold Members Posts: 7,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cleveland
    once i read worst i said cleveland
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    Cleveland will be too obvious. Has ATL won anything since the braves back in the 90's ?

Has Chicago won anything since the bulls back in the 90's? not sure if they got a hockey ship or not

But my point is I can't call a city a bad sports city just b/c the teams haven't won anything. Chicago is one of the best sports city in the country. But I do wonder at what point do folks go from supporting their team to being gullible. Like they keep showing up for Cubs when it's obvious the ownership doesn't seem to care about getting the team right. At what point do fans need to stop showing up to show ownership they they won't keep supporting a loser. But i can respect the fans for that more than folks down MIA showing up in the 2nd quarter for Heat games. Or the 12 ppl that showed up for Marlin games last year.

the blackhawks won the stanley cup in 2010. They also are rivaling the chicago bulls attendance lately even though the hockey set up has less seats. And i fully agree with your point about the difference between a team winning and a cities support.

Ok. It's like that here with the Caps. I'm sure they sell out way more than the Wizards, but it's b/c they are winning and the Zards stink. Once again i'm kinda out the loop on hockey but whitey shows up big time downtown for Caps games. DC is 50/50 sports city. It's hard to judge tho. It's Redskins 1st and foremost over everything. Then I would say basketball, but the Wizards are just so ? that folks don't want to see it. But if they were .500 team they would sell out every game. Georgetown, George Mason, and Maryland all get a lot of love. High school basketball/AAU/summer leagues are huge in DC. All my friends love college football but none of us love the teams around here. ? Maryland football games hardly even are televised locally. Right now the Nationals are on fire and I expect them to sellout a lot of games but baseball is still new in DC. Folks in DC just like to be seen at a big event and will just go do other ? at times once the team starts to stink unless it's the Redskins.

Maryland football is struggling hard. I know 2 people who are diehard Terps fans and they complain about how the support gets worse and worse every year. Even alumni give no ? about that team. Maryland is a basketball school first and foremost.
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cleveland
    If you didn't vote Cleveland, you're probably.....

It's a sad city.
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Has to be New York

I'm a New Yorker I have been since I moved to this country , my mom is american and from Vermont so I'm inclined to be a pats fan since its been in her family for aslong as I can remember , so football is relatively new to me in that respect, I mean I've been following since the drew bledsoe days , but I digress.

I say ny because they need to thank Eli , Asante Samuel and wes welker for the giants wins or it would just be a city that just lives on hype.

There are two football franchises and none of them even made the playoffs this year , there are two ball franchises that live off of hype more so than anything else , yet ny claims to be the best at everything .

Heck we only have an old camel selling records outchea

when you beat the best team in the NFL twice in the superbowl, its more than just hype. and the giants have 8 championships in total *4 NFL championships, 4 superbowls*
    rangers have 4 stanely cups
    yankees have 27 world championships alone

mets, knicks, and jets arent on the same level but they've each won a championship or two. and yes the nets are hyped like crazy but they're new in town so we'll see how successful they can be

you cant win them all but dont act like NY doesnt win at all. they have a history of winning so there is no reason why they shouldnt take pride in that
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cleveland
    I voted cleveland because theyre foreordained to lose in everything
  • DillaDeaf
    DillaDeaf Members Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cleveland
    Cleveland folks be saying all kinds of ? at Detroit, but guess what....how many NBA rings ya ? got? ....speak up I can't hear you ? ...............how many?
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Atlanta
    Ounceman wrote: »
    I voted cleveland because theyre foreordained to lose in everything

that is the reason i did not vote for them
  • Reggie80
    Reggie80 Members Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Reggie80 wrote: »

Diamondbacks won the world series in 2001 by dethroning ny. We in AZ are loyal to our Suns

Damn you right forgot all about that even though Johnson and Schilling was juicing but you right
  • TheIraq
    TheIraq Members Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Los Angeles
    Many Laker fans are now Clipper fans..... Stay loyal to your base through the good and bad times..........

• TheIraq
    TheIraq Members Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Los Angeles
    Cleveland will be too obvious. Has ATL won anything since the braves back in the 90's ?

Has Chicago won anything since the bulls back in the 90's? not sure if they got a hockey ship or not

But my point is I can't call a city a bad sports city just b/c the teams haven't won anything. Chicago is one of the best sports city in the country. But I do wonder at what point do folks go from supporting their team to being gullible. Like they keep showing up for Cubs when it's obvious the ownership doesn't seem to care about getting the team right. At what point do fans need to stop showing up to show ownership they they won't keep supporting a loser. But i can respect the fans for that more than folks down MIA showing up in the 2nd quarter for Heat games. Or the 12 ppl that showed up for Marlin games last year.

AAGS208_zpsf679f1a5.jpg