LOL @ Chris Bosh thinking he is a Hall of Famer

Options
lion_heart
lion_heart Members Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
Chris Bosh thinks he has his Hall of Fame candidacy more or less wrapped up
By Kelly Dwyer

Since his jump to Miami in 2010, eight-time All-Star forward/center Chris Bosh has turned into a bit of a punch line. His smart batch of humor, slender build of frame, and status as a distant third amongst the Heat’s Big Three triptych including LeBron James and Dwyane Wade allow for that. Bosh, working on a championship defender and out of the city of his choice, doesn’t seem to mind. It’s a refreshing nuance, stuck in the middle of a league that at times seems to be full of insecure types that hedge their quotes.

This is probably why Bosh didn’t hesitate for a second to call himself “a Hall of Famer” in a discussion with FOX Sports’ Chris Tomasson on Friday night. Chris’ borderline-stunning take can be found here:

"Hell, yeah, of course. I've been a Hall of Famer like four years ago," the Miami Heat center told FOX Sports Florida after Friday's 110-88 win over Detroit. "And I say that very serious, though. I've talked about it before with my friends."

This is “borderline-stunning” because modern athletes are conditioned not to speak like this. To not speak out about legacy, no matter how sober the take. There’s a reason that the line “excuse me while I take my first step toward the Hall of Fame” was penned for Willie Mays Hayes in ‘Major League’ as a joke. As hubris to be mocked.

Is Bosh to be mocked? The guy knows his media, he’s aware that saying something like this to Tomasson will surely get around once pen leads to paper which leads to modem and social media, and he’s obviously aware that some people still view him as a poorly-rebounding hanger-on with the Heat’s top tier.

He’s not wrong, though.

He may feel like a newcomer of sorts, but Chris Bosh was drafted into the NBA nearly ten years ago. He’s in his 10th season, and he’s played fantastic basketball throughout his career. Whether he was working by his lonesome in Toronto or hungering for scraps in Miami, Bosh has remained a potent offensive performer that can rebound and help defensively with his length. At just 28 years of age, he’s already amassed nearly 13,500 career points.

Of course, we have no idea what that number means. Basketball just doesn’t have the sort of end-all numerical touchstones that baseball does. There’s no “500 homers” or “3000 hits” or “wasn’t listed in the Mitchell Report” that allows us to sign off on a potential Hall of Famer midway through his career. Toss in the NCAA and international influence (to say nothing of shoe company heavy-handedness) on the Basketball Hall of Fame’s voting process, and it’s really hard to get a grasp on who will get in some years down the line, and who won’t.

Bosh turns 29 in a couple of months, though. His touch and smarts will allow for him, health-willing, to remain an All-Star level contributor for perhaps another half-decade. All-Star appearances shouldn’t be a barometer of greatness, both fans and coaches can get these things wrong, but Bosh’s efficient work and ability to either pick up the pieces on a great team or hold his own on a terrible team should be in place well into his 30s.

Chris’ career averages round out to nearly 20 points per game and nine rebounds, while shooting 49 percent. His per-game averages have dipped for three consecutive years, but that’s sort of par for the course when you line up with two of the biggest ball dominators in the game in LeBron James and Dwyane Wade. Bosh’s minutes have dipped since he’? Miami as well, the coaching staff’s nod to the fact that they need their big man to be fresh in June and not dragging it out in January. All of these hallmarks hurt the raw numbers, but they don’t blur the overall picture. If Chris Bosh continues apace for the next five or six years, he’ll be a deserved Hall of Famer.

And to preemptively take on the critics … what’s wrong with a player admitting as much?

We want these players to exude confidence, to bathe in bravado and pretend like nothing can get to them. Up until a point – a nebulous point – where we hold our nose and complain about confidence or cockiness gone wrong. We want these guys to not only play like Hall of Famers, but act like one as well. But heaven forbid these guys actually say what we’re already talking about online or on a barstool – that Chris Bosh will probably end up in the Hall of Fame some day, and that this reality was already in place “like four years ago.”

Keep talking, Chris Bosh, because we dig your honesty. And keep playing Hall of Fame-basketball, because we’re more than happy with your career arc. Someday Springfield will be as happy as we are, we’re guessing.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/chris-bosh-thinks-hall-fame-candidacy-more-less-140202345--nba.html

Comments

• MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I mean if they win more than one title he has a strong chance to get in .
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    He has 8 all star appearances, and was a 20-10 guy until he sacrificed his numbers to win a ring, it's not far fetched at all. He's probably not a 1st ballot hofer but he'll eventually get in.
  • lion_heart
    Options
    Bernard King ain't even in the HOF and he was better
  • MC The Rapper
    Options
    lion_heart wrote: »
    Bernard didn't have one title to his name .
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It's players in the HOF that didn't win a title
  • lion_heart
    Options

Neither does Barkley, Ewing, Malone and plenty other HOF's

• 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options

how many seasons and games he missed due to injury? If he wasn't injury prone he would have made it years ago. He'll eventually get in though.
  • MC The Rapper
    edited January 2013
    Options

well let be a bit more clear bernard king didn't have three things rings,individual awards, or points. Barkley, Ewing, Malone had 20,000 plus points Barkley and Malone had MVP awards as well . Ewing was a college player of the year and final four most outstanding player. Bernard King doesn't have any individual awards in college or pros , doesn't have any championships, didn't score 20,000 points how is he a HOF
  • Kame
    Kame Members Posts: 24,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options
    He's an 8 time all star and a 20-10 guy most of his career so far... he might get in... especially if they get another ring
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options
    He'll probably get in

Locks as of 2013

Duncan, kobe, KG, Pierce, Lebron, Wade, Nash, Dirk, Ray Allen, Kidd

• BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    a consistent 20 & 10 guy before comin to Miami nd a 8 time all-star wit about 7+ years to go in his career barring injury, dis statement aint dat ridiculous
  • MC The Rapper
    Options
    BlackAX410 wrote: »
    a consistent 20 & 10 guy before comin to Miami nd a 8 time all-star wit about 7+ years to go in his career barring injury, dis statement aint dat ridiculous

one title and a gold medal
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bosh put up numbers for a sorry ass squad there are plenty of players that put up numbers for bad teams.

He went to Miami and did sacrifice his numbers but he's the third best player on his team on a good day some days he's the 4th or 5th best player.

I could make a good argument about Chalmers being statistically the third best player on that team and he shouldn't sniff the hall of fame.

To me Bosh is a Derek Fisher type of player but with better numbers and a slightly bigger roll.

No doubt he's important but I don't think he should get in just based on other players that were better than him that haven't got in.
  • Crude_
    Options
    I don't even know if Bosh is top 5 at his position right now.
  • lion_heart
    Options

well let be a bit more clear bernard king didn't have three things rings,individual awards, or points. Barkley, Ewing, Malone had 20,000 plus points Barkley and Malone had MVP awards as well . Ewing was a college player of the year and final four most outstanding player. Bernard King doesn't have any individual awards in college or pros , doesn't have any championships, didn't score 20,000 points how is he a HOF

4× NBA All-Star (1982, 1984–1985, 1991)
    NBA scoring champion (1985)
    2× All-NBA First Team (1984, 1985)
    All-NBA Second Team (1982)
    All-NBA Third Team (1991)
    NBA All-Rookie Team (1978)
    1984 Sporting News NBA MVP
    3× SEC Player of the Year (1975–1977)
    Consensus NCAA All-American First Team (1977)
    Consensus NCAA All-American Second Team (1976)

He finished with 19,655 after 14 seasons which were injury plagued. I understand different eras but I don't see how Bosh measures up (and I take into account that Bosh is still active).
  • Crude_
    Options
    @MC you showing your age man.

Bernard King was a lot better player than Bosh before he got those bad knees.

He was dominant but what hurt a player like him was other players and other great teams being in the league at the time.

Guys like Jordan, Hakeem, Bird, Magic, Mchale, Moses Malone, Karl Malone, Thomas, Drexler etc.

All these guys were playing in King's heyday you look at his numbers (particularly scoring) though they were up there with the best of them back when players were actually allowed to play defense.
  • BlackAX410
    Options
    Bosh put up numbers for a sorry ass squad there are plenty of players that put up numbers for bad teams.

He went to Miami and did sacrifice his numbers but he's the third best player on his team on a good day some days he's the 4th or 5th best player.

I could make a good argument about Chalmers being statistically the third best player on that team and he shouldn't sniff the hall of fame.

To me Bosh is a Derek Fisher type of player but with better numbers and a slightly bigger roll.

No doubt he's important but I don't think he should get in just based on other players that were better than him that haven't got in.

lmfao wat?
  • BlackAX410
    Options
    BlackAX410 wrote: »

one title and a gold medal

forgot to mention dat i mean if Ralph sampson can get in dis past year Bosh should get in as long as he stays healthy
  • MC The Rapper
    Options

4× NBA All-Star (1982, 1984–1985, 1991)
    NBA scoring champion (1985)
    2× All-NBA First Team (1984, 1985)
    All-NBA Second Team (1982)
    All-NBA Third Team (1991)
    NBA All-Rookie Team (1978)
    1984 Sporting News NBA MVP
    3× SEC Player of the Year (1975–1977)
    Consensus NCAA All-American First Team (1977)
    Consensus NCAA All-American Second Team (1976)

He finished with 19,655 after 14 seasons which were injury plagued. I understand different eras but I don't see how Bosh measures up (and I take into account that Bosh is still active).
    NBA champion (2012)
    8× NBA All-Star (2006–2013)
    All-NBA Second Team (2007)
    NBA All-Rookie First Team (2004)
    2008 gold medal

Like I said all he need is another championship
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^^^ College Career is factored in the HOF...its not the NBA Hall Of Fame
  • BlackAX410
    Options
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    ^^^ College Career is factored in the HOF...its not the NBA Hall Of Fame
    i kno he was a beast at Virginia ijs Sampson didnt have a long NBA career nd still got in it shouldnt be ridiculous or a longshot for Bosh to get in
  • kuskklassic
    kuskklassic Members Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    if Chris Bosh makes it to the Hall of Fame then so should Pau Gasol, im just saying.

• MC The Rapper
    Options
    if Chris Bosh makes it to the Hall of Fame then so should Pau Gasol, im just saying.

yeah pau gasol is a hall of famer
  • Crude_
    Options
    @BlackAx410 obviously Bosh is going to average more points because he gets more touches and rebounds because of his position.

Bosh averages about 10 points more but the stats aren't as skewed as you may think after that.

Bosh is the better player but that ? suffers from the Joe Johnson syndrome on nights.

Stats do not tell the whole story.

During that title run Chalmers stepped up a lot in key moment.
  • DaBull
    DaBull Members Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    With another Ring, Bosh will get in the Hall...this statement is not far fetched, thread fail