So Farrakhan has Totally Lost it...

Soloman_The_Wise
Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2013 in The Social Lounge
WASHINGTON (CBS DC) – In the third installment of his 52-week sermon series, Nation of Islam leader, Minister Louis Farrakhan, ridiculed the “volatile” American right to own weapons.

On Sunday, Farrakhan continued “The Time and What Must Be Done” sermon series by stating that Americans are increasingly angry at the government, and are simultaneously preparing themselves for war. Farrakhan went on to say that the Second Amendment has little relevance in modern society, stating that the constitutional right to bear arms is outdated.

“See, the right to bear arms was given at a time when there was no regulated militia to protect America,” he said. “But now you have police well-armed, you have state troopers well-armed, you have the National Guard and you have federal troops.”

Farrakhan served as the minister of major mosques in Boston and Harlem, and was appointed by the longtime Nation of Islam leader, Elijah Muhammad, before his death in 1975, as the National Representative of the Nation of Islam.

Related: Police Won’t Charge Man for Bringing Loaded Assault Rifle Into Grocery Store

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution is the section of the United States Bill of Rights that protects the right of the people to keep and bear arms.

Farrakhan said that one reason Americans are buying weapons is their anger at the government.

“Look at the American peoples’ thoughts about Congress. What is the percentage of the American people that feel that the U.S. Congress is doing a good job? Eleven percent,” said Farrakhan. “Then 89 percent of the American people are angry, disaffected, dissatisfied with their government — and you’re selling them weapons of war and the militias are multiplying.”

Farrakhan caused controversy in a sermon earlier this month when he labeled Americans as a “savage” and violent populace that was predicted in the Bible.

“This nation has been built on violence,” Farrakhan said in the Jan. 13 sermon. “Uncivilized, uncultivated, brutal, wild…and that’s why the prophet gave America one of those names as a beast — both of the book of Daniel and in the book of Revelations.”

Comments

• Soloman_The_Wise
    rage wrote: »
    Lost it?? Dude is kicking pure etherous truth.
    he has flip flopped from the nations previous position on gun rights and arming our own communities. When has the black community or the nation of islam ever had faith in the ability of the law Enforcement and US military? No ether just ignorance trying to get sheeples to be caught with their pants down...

• twatgetta
    twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Farrakhan is a total ? ' wack job. He's the ultimate opportunist.
  • lordhonka2
    lordhonka2 Members Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    where is he wrong in what he said ?
  • Big James
    Big James Members Posts: 345 ✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't make sense for the NOI to be against gun rights.
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    lordhonka2 wrote: »
    where is he wrong in what he said ?

Just about all of it. Again a total about face on the standard position of the nation...
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that's very odd that the leader of the NOI would place so much faith in the police and the government. i thought that he was being sarcastic for a minute there.

I actually agree with much of what he said in the article. The only major disagreement that I have is his claim that the Second Amendment is outdated. Well, that's partly true to be honest. But only partially true. It's also somewhat false though. I just don't understand people who don't believe in self-defense.

I have to admit though that the more I hear Farrakhan, the more he seems like a truthful dude, minus his checkered past and some of his controversial religious beliefs.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's contextualizing the 2nd amendment, its necessity then versus its necessity now. Its the same thing a lot of other folks have done. His main point is that America is a violent society full of disgruntled people, and on that note he's right.

He's blaming the social environment that's been created.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    doesnt the NOI offer bodyguard services for a hefty fee?
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jono wrote: »
    He's contextualizing the 2nd amendment, its necessity then versus its necessity now. Its the same thing a lot of other folks have done. His main point is that America is a violent society full of disgruntled people, and on that note he's right.

I thought that view was pretty clear, but I guess not.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    saying the Second Amendment is outdated goes a LITTLE farther than that. also, consider this: at the time of the civil rights movement that Farrakhan came up in, the nation had well-armed police, well-armed state troopers, National Guardsmen and federal troops. did they existence cause him to say anything different in the 1960s?

or further, would he have told groups like the Black Panthers or people like Malcolm X, "hey, guys, there's no need to worry about your right to bear arms! we have well-armed police looking out for us!"
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    It feels like farrakhan is trying to push for no resistance to any upcoming social regime changes and wants the populace to be docile and faith in a system of military and law enforcement that he never has advised having faith in in the past. His agenda while clear with this statement is confusing because I am wondering what would motivate such a position reversal???
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well yeah exactly...but it was my fault for over estimating the SL.
  • manofmorehouse
    manofmorehouse Members Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see absolutely nothing wrong with his comment. People want to protect themselves, fine. You want a gun to do that, that's fine too. However, you're seeing gun shortages in walmart because people are stockpiling guns. For what? Prepping to overthrow the government? Planning on a race war? I cannot, for the life of me, understand why someone needs multiple guns to defend themselves. You think the army is going to bust in your home and take you away??? Also, to the people that stand 10's of yards away to hunt for fun, that ? is ? made. If you about that life, go out and hunt with a knife or something. Earn real stripes. Just saying.....
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    I see absolutely nothing wrong with his comment. People want to protect themselves, fine. You want a gun to do that, that's fine too. However, you're seeing gun shortages in walmart because people are stockpiling guns. For what? Prepping to overthrow the government? Planning on a race war? I cannot, for the life of me, understand why someone needs multiple guns to defend themselves. You think the army is going to bust in your home and take you away??? Also, to the people that stand 10's of yards away to hunt for fun, that ? is ? made. If you about that life, go out and hunt with a knife or something. Earn real stripes. Just saying.....

I hunt with a bow or a crossbow and eat what I ? , Guns are for protection and target shooting in my household and yes to all of the above questions. Our government and many others in the world have a track record for busting into peoples homes and taking them and their ? for any number of reasons so since it does happen and can happen it is always best to be prepped. As to the Race/Holy/Civil war ? I would rather be the brother strapped up with the homies when ? goes down then the ignorant fool waiting for someone from the government to come save his ass...
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Our government and many others in the world have a track record for busting into peoples homes and taking them and their ? for any number of reasons so since it does happen and can happen it is always best to be prepped.

And you think you and your AR are gonna do something IF and thats a BIG IF this happens? Really? What exactly are you going to do against the most powerful military this world has ever seen? Wacco ring a bell??
    As to the Race/Holy/Civil war ? I would rather be the brother strapped up with the homies when ? goes down then the ignorant fool waiting for someone from the government to come save his ass...

So you'd rather live in a country thats slowly but surely becoming a war zone? You'd rather live in a country that has more people murdered by guns per 100,000 than ACTUAL war zones? This is the country you'd RATHER live in as opposed to this fictional imaginary dystopian world thats no different than a bad SciFi movie.
  • Big James
    Big James Members Posts: 345 ✭✭✭✭
    SMH at trusting the government.
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    edited January 2013
    Our government and many others in the world have a track record for busting into peoples homes and taking them and their ? for any number of reasons so since it does happen and can happen it is always best to be prepped.

And you think you and your AR are gonna do something IF and thats a BIG IF this happens? Really? What exactly are you going to do against the most powerful military this world has ever seen? Wacco ring a bell??
    As to the Race/Holy/Civil war ? I would rather be the brother strapped up with the homies when ? goes down then the ignorant fool waiting for someone from the government to come save his ass...

So you'd rather live in a country thats slowly but surely becoming a war zone? You'd rather live in a country that has more people murdered by guns per 100,000 than ACTUAL war zones? This is the country you'd RATHER live in as opposed to this fictional imaginary dystopian world thats no different than a bad SciFi movie.
    Simple answer to all you nonsense is this your facts are not thatthey are the opposite of facts so they are ignorantly twisted opinions.

And yes I would rather be strapped then not I have seen what some of the police do when they have no fear of people defending themselves. I also have seen those that excercise their rights visibly can do as far as making a difference.

The only fantasy scifi ? is this utopian society you think will happen if those of us that legally strap up quit doing so. Bad guys on both sides the fence become more emboldened when they know you won't fight back. As too the military if we devolve into one of the many war scenerios here domestically they also tend to fracture and break also into a bunch divided factions Russia was a prime example after the fall of the Soviet Union.

There is a reason that the overwhelming majority of crimes committed with guns are done so by those that have them illegally not just in this country but worldwide...

• Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    I think that it would be helpful to take a step back and reread the man's own words:
    Farrakhan went on to say that the Second Amendment has little relevance in modern society, stating that the constitutional right to bear arms is outdated.

“See, the right to bear arms was given at a time when there was no regulated militia to protect America,” he said. “But now you have police well-armed, you have state troopers well-armed, you have the National Guard and you have federal troops.”

The 2nd Amendment has little relevance in modern society?? When did self-defense suddenly become irrelevant? When was it no longer relevant to protect your life, family, and property? When have "criminals" ever followed the law when obtaining their guns to victimize the very people who may need to defend themselves? When has the police (nevermind the fact that there are ? cops who are just as bad as the criminals) been able to protect you at all times? Imo, the right to bear arms is far more relevant (whether intentionally or not) than we'd like to think.

I remember reading about the Tulsa Race Riots and being amazed by how some blacks were able to live through the riots and defend themselves from angry white mobs because they banded together and had arms to defend themselves and their neighborhoods. Sure, that was about a century ago, but if you don't think that we have all kinds of riots, including race riots, in these "modern" times, then you need to do some research. From 1776 to now, we've always had to deal with violently criminal people. Why would it be different today? The violent nature of Man can never be outdated.
    “Look at the American peoples’ thoughts about Congress. What is the percentage of the American people that feel that the U.S. Congress is doing a good job? Eleven percent,” said Farrakhan. “Then 89 percent of the American people are angry, disaffected, dissatisfied with their government — and you’re selling them weapons of war and the militias are multiplying.”

This is somewht true, but also somewhat fallacious/misleading and borders on scaremongering. I doubt that 100% of that 89% of people that Farrakahn is referring to is stocking up on weapons to overthrow the government. Just because people are dissatisfied with the government (and they have every reason to be dissatisfied) doesn't mean that they want to stage a violent coup. There is a movement to overthrow the government, but that movement is very small and is insigated by a couple of far, far right wing nuts and far, far left wing nuts, and many of these nuts have been around for several decades.
    Farrakhan caused controversy in a sermon earlier this month when he labeled Americans as a “savage” and violent populace that was predicted in the Bible.

“This nation has been built on violence,” Farrakhan said in the Jan. 13 sermon. “Uncivilized, uncultivated, brutal, wild…and that’s why the prophet gave America one of those names as a beast — both of the book of Daniel and in the book of Revelations.”

Not sure about the religious talk here, but whether we want to believe it or not, America has a very ? history. And partially as a consequence, America has a distinct culture of violence. Violence is American as apple pie. I think even Malcolm might have been speaking on this culture of violence with whatever he said right after JFK was assassinated.
  • janklow
    His agenda while clear with this statement is confusing because I am wondering what would motivate such a position reversal???
    firebrands get this way when their social/political/financial situations become more stable
    However, you're seeing gun shortages in walmart because people are stockpiling guns. For what?
    there's no need to conspiracy theory it up: people are buying the guns because you have politicians all over the news calling for the guns to be banned. so mysteriously, you have people trying to buy them now now NOW while they can. it's not complicated.
    So you'd rather live in a country thats slowly but surely becoming a war zone?
    crime has been going down for decades, and the guns you're currently yelling about are used in a tiny fraction of time. so what are you talking about?

• ImTheKangRoundHere
    ImTheKangRoundHere Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    [img]https://sphotos-b.? .fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/602966_10151259325616275_1303065936_n.jpg[/img]
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't always agree with him, but everything he said is true.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

This. Nice try Jank, but Malcolm was looking out that window cuz ? was tryin throw Molotovs in his daughters room. As much as I would like the NOI to be a Black Nationalist version of say, Hamas, they were never that big on guns. That was Huey n them's thang. Pac didn't want the NOI bodyguards after he got shot cuz they weren't strapped. I know you're all horrified by the liberty-crushing fascism of expanding background checks, but c'mon.
    Lost it?? Dude is kicking pure etherous truth.
    he has flip flopped from the nations previous position on gun rights and arming our own communities. When has the black community or the nation of islam ever had faith in the ability of the law Enforcement and US military? No ether just ignorance trying to get sheeples to be caught with their pants down...

No other free democratic nation has gun ownership as an absolute RIGHT. That's what he's mocking.

And when's the last time the NOI specifically told black ppl to strap up? I musta missed that.

He ain't say ? about having faith in The Cops. He just pointed out that they are well-armed beyond what those 18th Century slaveholders could have ever imagined. Policing back then involved what, a town sheriff and the occasional lynch mob? Nowdays even a sleepy rural town got these County SWAT teams runnin into ? Labs w/ ? Zero Dark Thirty gear on
  • janklow
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    Nice try Jank, but Malcolm was looking out that window cuz ? was tryin throw Molotovs in his daughters room.
    doesn't change the fact that he's looking out the window with a WEAPON OF WAR that, thanks to its bayonet lug, can be labeled an ASSAULT WEAPON sporting HIGH-CAPACITY MAGAZINES. and you know what? when he was looking out that window, the nation had well-armed police, well-armed state troopers, National Guardsmen and federal troops...
    I know you're all horrified by the liberty-crushing fascism of expanding background checks, but c'mon.
    let me phrase this another way.

i live in a state where, right now, background checks are mandated for ALL private sales of handguns and other "regulated firearms" (as in, assault weapons). and let me tell you, it seems to have done wonders for Baltimore, DC and all the rest... especially since the head of our state police is testifying before Congress that he's seen an "explosion of violence" since the 1994 AWB ended.

oh, right, he saw this in a state that claims crime is continually going down and which already bans high-capacity magazines and orders all those background checks. HUH.

i'm actually horrified by the ? of assault weapon/magazine bans. i could care less about the background checks. but ACTUAL compromise would be getting the latter and not the former. anti-gun guys do not believe in compromise.
    He ain't say ? about having faith in The Cops. He just pointed out that they are well-armed beyond what those 18th Century slaveholders could have ever imagined.
    we say this like the cops haven't always been COMPARATIVELY well-armed.