Official IC Powerlifting thread

Options
dreadedbwoy661
dreadedbwoy661 Members Posts: 198 ✭✭
edited January 2013 in The Weight Room
Any other powerlifters on here?

I noticed there aren't a lot of black powerlifters at the two meets I've competed in. There are usually only like 5 max.

Its pretty fun, and it adds an extra level of motivation to training because you have something that you're training for. I definitely recommend competing. Here's a look at me lifting in some of the meets I did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu7OP_YUgRU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSYXBV76UeM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNUAhPm3p_k

Comments

• waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @dreadedbwoy661 great thread,. We need a Powerlifting thread in here, I haven't powerlift but that's something I want to learn and do in the future there's a lot of science and technique behind it and at the golds gym I go to there's a section strictly for powerlifting and there's some male and female powerlifters. I want to find somebody to train me in powerlifting and learn all the moves, I follow lots of powerlifters on twitters for tips.

Looking forward to u tell us about training in powerlifting, the movements, diet ect.... For more hits put powerlifting in the title so this can be the official powerlifting thread
  • dreadedbwoy661
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Yeah man it's definitely something cool to get into and its easier for you since you go to a gym that actually has a powerlifting section.

I personally think powerlifting is more enjoyable than bodybuilding. Each week your goal is to break a personal record in a strength gain, and if you are training right you will break personal records. It's much more satisfying than looking in the mirror and not noticing any gains. Also, you end up getting pretty buff training as a powerlifter anyway.

When I first started out I could barely squat 115, I couldn't bench more than about 120 and I couldn't deadlift 135 pounds. Now I can squat 440, I can pause bench 275 and I can deadlift 615 pounds.

About powerlifting and meets:

Pretty much power lifting consists of the big three lifts, squat, bench press and deadlift. The bench in a meet is paused. You can't touch and go like you see in the gym and use momentum. It has to stop moving for a second or so on your chest before you can press. A lot harder than touch and go.

When you go to a powerlifting meet, it's all about your one rep max. You have three attempts in each lift.

Your first attempt is basically a lift you know you can make just to make sure you get a good lift recorded. Second attempt is a bit higher, maybe your previous max, and your third attempt is where you go all out trying to break a personal record.

It's a lot of fun to push yourself to limits you never thought you could reach in front of a crowd of people. If you played sports when you were young like I did, you'll remember how good it felt to play in front of a crowd, you get this same feeling again by competing.

Training for powerlifting

One of the first programs I used which I attribute to my basic foundation of strength is "Westside for Skinny ? " http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/38-articles/60-westside-for-skinny-? -part1.htm . I highly recommend it if you are just starting out, or if you've been training for a bit but your numbers are pretty low. This program is what got me to a 6 plate deadlift.

The typical training regimine for a powerlifter with a solid foundation is a 4 day program based on the Westside Barbell Method of Training.

The four days consist of two max effort days (one for lower body, one for upper body) where you are exerting maximal effort in the three lifts or variations of the three, for 1-5 reps plus assistance and supplemental movements. Supplementary and assistance work for upper body consists of a lot of tricep, lat and shoulder work. For lower body the assistance and supplementary work consists of a lot of hamstring, glute, lower back and ab work.

The other two days are called "dynamic effort" days where the focus is on speed. Speed is very important to lifting big weights, but that is covered in more detail in the eight keys article below. You also do pretty much the same assistance and supplementary work.

There are a lot of good articles out there on the subject, but I think a good starting point is Dave Tate's Eight Key's Articles. Eight keys part 2 is all about the workout program:

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/efs-classic-the-eight-keys-a-complete-guide-to-maximal-strength-development/

Some good videos for form:

Bench Press- this video is awesome
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QnwAoesJvQ

Also check out this article:
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/bench_press_600_pounds_a_12_step_program

Squats
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ME8gEN54Ao

There are a bunch of parts to this series, I'm not going to post all of them

Deadlift
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp8Sx9dX9LM

My tips

Squat
    -make sure everything is tight before the lift. Wait a little bit after you pull the bar out of the rack. Take a big deep breath before descending

-footwear is important. You want either an olympic weightlifting shoe or a flat sole. No running shoes, crosstrainers etc.

Deadlift
    -footwear is very very important. You need something that has little to no sole and if it does have a sole it has to be completely flat. I like wrestling shoes, but some people go barefoot. The more sole you have the more the bar has to travel and the less you lift. Chuck taylors are no good, running shoes are the worst choice (not only is the sole not flat, but the back is lifted

- do not deadlift in front of a mirror. This will cause you to lean forward and cause you to miss lifts.

-keep your chin up when you deadlift

Bench

I'm not the best bencher but these tips helped me the most.

-bench press is a full body exercise. Watch the Dave Tate Bench press cure. You need to use your legs. Your setup should be uncomfortable.

-Everything has to be tight

- squeeze the ? out of the bar

-after "pulling" the bar out (never press it out), hold it over your chest for 3 seconds before lowering it.

-your focus is on pushing yourself away from the bar and into the bench and not pushing the bar.

• bigstevie
    bigstevie Members Posts: 212 ✭✭
    Options
    Only done one meet...more into the bodybuilding personally
  • bigstevie
    bigstevie Members Posts: 212 ✭✭
    Options
    How do u like squatting from a mono?
  • waterproof
    Options
  • imm0rt4l
    imm0rt4l Members Posts: 683 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I really wanna get into powerlifting, maybe by next year. But I want to get my deadlift up to 600. My squats are pretty legit, probably my best lift relative to my body weight.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • King_MOEbra
    King_MOEbra Members Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've got my squats as high as 485lbs. and my deadlifts up to 375lbs.
  • imm0rt4l
    imm0rt4l Members Posts: 683 ✭✭✭
    Options

Not trying to come at you, but are you going to at least parallel with your squats? Your deads should be higher than your squats if anything. Just had to ask because I almost never see people in the gym squat to parallel let alone ass to grass.

I'm going to attempt 550 deadlift on sunday. My personal bests at the moment are 535lb deadlift and 450 squat for 4 reps.
  • King_MOEbra
    Options
    imm0rt4l wrote: »

Not trying to come at you, but are you going to at least parallel with your squats? Your deads should be higher than your squats if anything. Just had to ask because I almost never see people in the gym squat to parallel let alone ass to grass.

I'm going to attempt 550 deadlift on sunday. My personal bests at the moment are 535lb deadlift and 450 squat for 4 reps.

I always go at least parallel. For me, it's easier to squat heavy than deadlift heavy, even though I love both of them.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • King_MOEbra
    Options
    Hit a new p.r. on Tuesday: 496lb. squats for 2 reps!
  • waterproof
    Options
    Im starting the Strong Lifts 5x5 program then after i stall, going to Madcow stronglifts.

This thread will be my home for a few months, on my powerlifting ? .

I will update thread on powerlifting history, gear, techniques, and all type of ?

Been out the gym for two months, left the gym deadlifting 385, squatting 375, benching 360 my goal was to join the 400 club.

Back in the gym lost everything it's pathetic, but ? im hitting that club before summer starting with strong man 5x5
  • King_MOEbra
    Options
    Deadlifts up to 385lbs. now!
  • waterproof
    Options
    tomorrow is the 2nd day of the 5x5 stronglifts that was made famous by Reggie Pak a lot of bodybuilders in the golden age of bodybuilding was powerlifters and used power lifting as their training.

I still get a quick work out after the 5x5 in the 8-12 rep range on the body excerise that fell on that day with Chins, Pullups, Dips
  • King_MOEbra
    Options
    Squatted 506lbs. at the gym today; my new p.r.!
  • King_MOEbra
    Options
    Got my deadlifts to 405lbs. yesterday!
  • King_MOEbra
    Options
    I'm getting better than ever! Squatted 525lbs. and deadlifted 465lbs.! The beast is here!
  • waterproof
    Options
    @dreadedbwoy661 just joined a power lifting gym that's hard ? core, one of the strongest gym in the Bay and it's a wherehouse, lot of big ass white boys there will be competing with the team next year this month is all about form.........
  • waterproof
    Options
    Kendrick Farris' Clean and Jerks at the 2013 World University Games

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4p--OjTchY
  • waterproof
    Options
    Powerlifters vs. Bodybuilders: Rep Ranges And Size
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zKX-JfvARE
  • waterproof
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I WILL CONTRIBUTE POWER LIFTING, OLYMPIC WEIGHTLIFTING, STRONG MAN AND CROSS FITNESS ARTICLES, LINKS VIDEO'S TO THIS THREAD......
  • aladdin1978
    aladdin1978 Members Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Power lifting is cool just be careful, that's an easy way to get injured
  • dreadedbwoy661
    Options
    635 pound deadlift
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlEsEfKdTpY&feature=c4-overview&list=UUB89d_jWMut8bm2sLtUmxOA

^^^
    You can get injured doing anything physical. It's about doing the movements correctly. Powerlifting is actually very safe. At meets, you have 3 spotters for bench and squat. Deadlift, you have a spotter behind you in case you fall back.
  • dreadedbwoy661
    Options
    waterproof wrote: »
    @dreadedbwoy661 just joined a power lifting gym that's hard ? core, one of the strongest gym in the Bay and it's a wherehouse, lot of big ass white boys there will be competing with the team next year this month is all about form.........

Nice, I go to a powerlifting gym as well. Its the only real powerlifting gym in NYC.