Emancipator: Dusk to Dawn (2013) Album Out Now! First Impressions...

Options
RuffDraft
RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2013 in The Essence
Emancipator has been one of the most consistent beatsmiths of recent years, despite releasing sporadically over the past 8 years, with this being the third in his catalogue (as far as I'm aware, after Soon it Will be Cold Enough & Safe in the Steep Cliffs). He's definitely in the electronic lane, producing music that's similar to the chilled out J-Hip Hop that most will be familiar with here.

Here's his latest track, which is really nice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fULXi348-jI

Tracklist:

01. Minor Cause 05:17
02. Valhalla 05:07
03. Merlion 04:04
04. Outlaw 03:38
05. Dusk to Dawn 05:25
06. The Way 04:50
07. Afterglow 05:31
08. Eve II 03:12
09. Natural Cause 05:15
10. Galapagos 01:57

Going to give this a listen tonight!

Comments

• RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    This album is an enthralling listen; a must for any head that appreciates music that moves.

The beats remain prevalent but are interweaved with musical backdrops that become the foreground in moments of whimsical mastery. I say moments, because this isn't to the level of a Nujabes' masterpiece, in which music seemed to float as if created by a wizard; nonetheless, Emancipator comes close at times.

Yet it's fair to say that Emancipator has arrived. One could argue that he already had, with two LPs that shone in the years that they were released and still do so today. However, when listening to the above posted track (Minor Cause), we can see that he has become a behemoth; someone who can create music that stops you. I feel as though I can say that this will be a top 10 track for 2013, even though we're only a third of the way through. The other tracks though, fall into the good-great category, a little away from some of the better musical masteries such as RJD2 or Nujabes, who perhaps hit 'Minor Cause' level more frequently than this beatsmith, which is perhaps his major flaw - if Emancipator failed to reach the levels of 'Minor Cause', we would just appreciate his music in its entirety, yet his ability to reach it leaves us wanting more!

I remember conversing with Emancipator on MySpace around 2005. 3 solid LPs later and I am truly awe-struck. What once started as a hope of pushing a record, has turned into a near-decade-long affair.

This album is well-worth an hour of your time, and possibly another ten hours thereafter; stream it here.