Randy Moss: I'm greatest WR ever

Options
northside7
northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
Randy Moss wasn't bashful Tuesday when asked about his place in football history, declaring himself the greatest receiver to play the game.

"Now that I'm older, I do think I'm the greatest receiver to ever do it," Moss said at Super Bowl media day in New Orleans.

Moss acknowledged that this season with the San Francisco 49ers "has been a down year for me statistically" as was his 2010 season before he retired for a year and his last season with the Oakland Raiders (2006) before his trade to the New England Patriots. He said, however, that he doesn't think statistics should determine greatness.

"I don't really live on numbers, I really live on impact and what you're able to do out on the field," he said Tuesday. "I really think I'm the greatest receiver to ever play this game."

Moss, 35, will be a free agent after this season. ProFootballTalk.com, citing a source familiar with the receiver's thinking, reported Monday that he plans to play at least one more season.

Moss had 28 receptions for 434 yards and three touchdowns in the regular season for the NFC champion 49ers. He has five receptions for 71 yards in San Francisco's two playoff victories.

Moss enjoyed his best season with the Patriots in 2007, when he caught 98 passes for 1,493 yards and a single-season record 23 touchdowns in helping New England to a 16-0 regular-season record.

He has 982 catches for 15,292 yards and 156 touchdowns in his 14-season career.

Hall of Famer Jerry Rice, who now is an ESPN NFL analyst, leads the all-time lists in those three categories with 1,549 receptions, 22,895 yards and 197 touchdown receptions.

Probably the most talented but I wouldn't say he's the best to ever play the position.  I give the nod to Jerry Rice. Some could make a case for Michael Irvin, Marvin Harrison or Cris Carter.

Comments

• lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think if Sterling Sharpe didn't get hurt he'd be in the conversation as top 5 all time. I don't agree with Randy but no harm in him saying it b/c that's how he really feels. Just like Barkley would always say he's better than Jordan.

Watch Peter King try to bring up Don Hudson as the GOAT
  • wilberdmillz
    wilberdmillz Members Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It can be discussed so I see no issue here, even though I wouldn't agree
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No..but when he was still in new england I would say he probally was on course.
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Anybody that thinks this is even arguable don't know ? about football.

Might as well say A.I. is the best shooting guard of all time.

Moss was/is one dimensional, never played with passion, and took plays off (admittedly).

He would barely ? my top 15.
  • CottonCitySlim
    Options
    just because he was lazy you cant hold that against him, that speaks volumes for his talent level really
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Anybody that thinks this is even arguable don't know ? about football.

Might as well say A.I. is the best shooting guard of all time.

Moss was/is one dimensional, never played with passion, and took plays off (admittedly).

He would barely ? my top 15.

Outside of Rice, T.O., Irvin, who would be in your top 5 ahead of Moss?
  • major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • momanpr100
    momanpr100 Members Posts: 482 ✭✭✭
    Options
    far from it. has no heart, scared to go over the middle and he a quitter. it's not even nowhere near debatable.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    he has a case.. but i wouldnt give best of all time..

TO >

No one will let anyone be better than jerry rice........
  • CottonCitySlim
    Options
    because of moss, everyone started coveting tall 6'4" plus recievers, and to that effect tall 6'1+ DB's.

Look at the prototypical receiver before he came
  • CoolJoe
    CoolJoe Members Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    he has a case.. but i wouldnt give best of all time..

TO >

No one will let anyone be better than jerry rice........

Let? We're talking about a dude that has damn near 7000 more yards than the next closest receiver.
  • bgoat
    bgoat Members Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Randy on that Cali.
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I believe he believes it.
  • detcatinva
    detcatinva Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    randy moss is the greatest talent at WR of all time but not the greatest. i could care less about him not going over them middle consistently. in his prime when he went deep he scared the hell out of every DB. He top 5 tho.
  • SleepwalkingInJapan
    SleepwalkingInJapan Members Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    cosign all the 9ers avys in this thread lol.....

but moss cant wear that jersey and mean that ? ...he trolled media day
  • Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options
    (ob)Scene wrote: »
    ricemoss.png

So Rice is way better the moss right???

Edit: I think randy is better then jerry but he isn't greater
  • wilberdmillz
    wilberdmillz Members Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1.Rice

2.T.O
    3.Moss
    4.Carter
    5.Irving

IMO
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rice
    TO
    Moss
    Moss didnt block or go across the middle.... with that said great wr and career to be so one dimensional at times
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He could of been if he gave full effort. He certainly is one of the best. IMO what separates Rice and Moss, is Moss was mostly effective when he went deep. Rice could beat you with any route. I won't even get into the ring debate because rings are won by teams and is not a sure fire way to measure ones greatness. By that logic, Kevin Faulk is a better player than Eric Dickerson.
  • momanpr100
    momanpr100 Members Posts: 482 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Jerry rice on Seattle better than Randy Moss last 4 seasons. how can ? say he the most talented ever. Calvin Johnson got more talent than that ? .

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options
    momanpr100 wrote: »
    Jerry rice on Seattle better than Randy Moss last 4 seasons. how can ? say he the most talented ever. Calvin Johnson got more talent than that ? .

You dont seem to know the difference between talent and production

Not saying that talent exceeds it or vice versa just saying.
  • jay83
    jay83 Members Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options
    But freddie mitchell cant get a run though? lol.
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I'd feel like a liar for calling him a liar.

Hardware isn't everything and my eyes tell me he just might be....