World War III Playoffs: Wild Card

Options
Plutarch
Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anyone up for some fantasy "war?" Any military buffs out here?

After beating the Black Ops II campaign mode, thinking about the NFL playoffs, and thinking about Iran and Israel and Palestine and how this nation hates that nation, my curiosity about the competing power of our world's militaries has gotten the best of me. So, in "practical" terms, who'd you think would get past the first round if this war playoff were to go down?

worldwar3.png

But you have to follow these rules:
1. Pick your winners of the playoff round that the thread specifies (for this thread, the wild card round) and give a reason why you think your winners would win their respective match-wars.
2. Each nation resets after every match-war, so all casualties and damages are reset after every round.
3. International law established by the Geneva Conventions is in effect, but depending on the nation, it may choose to violate them.
4. No nation may use nuclear weapons.
5. No nation may receive assistance from another nation.
6. Where each match-war takes place is up to you.

I'm guessing that most of us follow the news on international conflicts, but just drop your thoughts and/or points of disagreement even if you don’t know too much about this stuff. And if this works out, then I’ll tally the votes or something and make the next round of winners.

Capisce?

Comments

• Plutarch
    Options
    Wild Card (I have the United States, France, Russia, Germany, India, Pakistan, Turkey, and China generally as the top eight militaries in the world, so they get bye weeks)

1. Brazil def. Canada. I matched these two together because they’re both incredibly underrated and are probably the two most powerful nations of North America behind the United States. I have Brazil winning because of its modern and large (the largest in South and Central America) military.

2. UK def. Ireland. These two obviously hate each other and have hated each other for centuries. The Troubles was a particularly violent period, and issues over Northern Ireland are still unresolved. The UK’s large and modernized military (especially navy) however is too powerful for Ireland.

3. South Korea def. North Korea. The animosity is still strong decades after the Korean War. But even though North Korea is perhaps more powerful with regard to population, South Korea’s military is more advanced, and its air force would be deadly.

4. Mexico def. Spain. I don’t know much about either militaries besides the fact that Mexico fought and won its independence from Spain, but I figure that Spain’s power has been on a long decline and Mexico’s armed forces has long been active and tested especially with the drug cartels.

5. Thailand def. Saudi Arabia. These nations have had beef ever since a Thai janitor working at the Saudi royal palace jacked the princess for her diamonds. A couple of dead bodies and a death sentence later, these nations are still not friendly. Thai immigrants aren’t welcome in Saudi Arabia anymore. Anyways, I take Thailand here because their military is impressive and military duty is basically mandatory for Thais. Besides, they’re currently holding their own against Cambodia.

6. Israel def. Syria. Syria doesn’t recognize Israel as a legitimate state, so these two obviously hate each other. But Israel’s military has learned from the best, and Syria has never really been stable.

7. Japan def. Taiwan. Japan beats China Jr. because of its highly funded and highly modernized military. Also, Japan has historically won nearly all of its wars, defeating the likes of Russia, China, and your very own Taiwan.

8. Iran def. Egypt. These nations secretly and openly hate each other. The only Arab nation not to have an embassy in Iran is Egypt, and both nations have issues over religion, Israel, the United States, terrorism, and competition. Regardless, Iran’s military is perhaps too large and modernized for Egypt.
  • whar
    whar Members Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree with all your picks except...

Taiwan def Japan - Following WWII Japan had greatly curtailed their defense spending while Taiwan has expanded theirs. Living in the shadow of a occasionally hostile China has made Taiwan much more a significant military force.

Saudia Arabia defs Thailand With a nearly 50% advantage in GDP I say oil money comes through for the win!
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »
    Anyone up for some fantasy "war?" Any military buffs out here?

After beating the Black Ops II campaign mode, thinking about the NFL playoffs, and thinking about Iran and Israel and Palestine and how this nation hates that nation, my curiosity about the competing power of our world's militaries has gotten the best of me. So, in "practical" terms, who'd you think would get past the first round if this war playoff were to go down?

worldwar3.png

But you have to follow these rules:
    1. Pick your winners of the playoff round that the thread specifies (for this thread, the wild card round) and give a reason why you think your winners would win their respective match-wars.
    2. Each nation resets after every match-war, so all casualties and damages are reset after every round.
    3. International law established by the Geneva Conventions is in effect, but depending on the nation, it may choose to violate them.
    4. No nation may use nuclear weapons.
    5. No nation may receive assistance from another nation.
    6. Where each match-war takes place is up to you.

I'm guessing that most of us follow the news on international conflicts, but just drop your thoughts and/or points of disagreement even if you don’t know too much about this stuff. And if this works out, then I’ll tally the votes or something and make the next round of winners.

Capisce?

So what are the repercussions if the Geneva laws are violated?
  • Plutarch
    Options
    ^^^ hm. ok, let's say that the repercussions would be whatever that would practically or most likely happen in real-life. probably some sanctions, trials, and/or embargoes. At the most, it'll indirectly hurt the violating nation. Like the U.S. has embargoes on Cuba and Iran that hurt each nation, but each nation can still manage through it with some difficulty.
  • CashmoneyDux
    Options
    ^^^ hm. ok, let's say that the repercussions would be whatever that would practically or most likely happen in real-life. probably some sanctions, trials, and/or embargoes. At the most, it'll indirectly hurt the violating nation. Like the U.S. has embargoes on Cuba and Iran that hurt each nation, but each nation can still manage through it with some difficulty.

Damn I hate rule #5 lmao

But I c/s every match up you have except for Mexico Vs Spain, and a I am a little iffy on Brazil Vs Canada.

Mexico's army is deplorable currently, plus Spain's EU ties make it economically stronger.
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wild Card (I have the United States, France, Russia, Germany, India, Pakistan, Turkey, and China generally as the top eight militaries in the world, so they get bye weeks)

1. Brazil def. Canada. I matched these two together because they’re both incredibly underrated and are probably the two most powerful nations of North America behind the United States. I have Brazil winning because of its modern and large (the largest in South and Central America) military.

great thread but you were probably mixing up countries right there
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    why is the UK not in the top 8? if nothing else, they should outrank Germany

also, where is Vietnam in this tournament
  • CashmoneyDux
    Options
    janklow wrote: »

Lmao @ vietnam. And the Top 8 militaries in order are:

US
    Russia
    China
    India
    UK
    France
    Germany
    South Korea
  • TheIraq
    TheIraq Members Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thread title and thread concept got me dyin for some reason lol..............
  • TheIraq
    Options
    GOAT thread...... lol
  • TheIraq
    Options
    US loses in the WWIII Superbowl to China....... It's just waaaaayyyyyy to many China people for us..... If yall saw the opening ceremony to the Beijeng Olympics yall know what I'm talkin about......
  • Plutarch
    Options

great thread but you were probably mixing up countries right there

Yeah, good looking. I meant to say "the Americas" (North, South, and Central America) instead of "North America." It's up for debate, but I have the top three militaries of all of the nations in the Americas as 1. USA. 2. Canada. 3. Brazil. I think that I might reverse my decision on Brazil v. Canada and say that Canada would win...

True. I know that the rankings aren't perfect, but I probably put Germany over the UK just to pit the UK against Ireland in the first round. Like any other "sport," a good playoff needs good rivalries right? I tried to include some good rivalries in the the first round. A bit of historical drama won't hurt. And it's not like Germany doesn't have a top ten military right?

I'm not sure. Vietnam very well might deserve to be there, but I considered it to have a global military rank of about 26 or so and there's 24 participants, so I probably decided to just leave it out. Though I know that it deserves a spot more than some other nations that have their own. Let's just say Vietnam got hosed by the computer ranking.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    whar wrote: »
    I agree with all your picks except...

Taiwan def Japan - Following WWII Japan had greatly curtailed their defense spending while Taiwan has expanded theirs. Living in the shadow of a occasionally hostile China has made Taiwan much more a significant military force.

Saudia Arabia defs Thailand With a nearly 50% advantage in GDP I say oil money comes through for the win!

i have to disagree with you ab0ut japan and taiwan.

japans spending is underrated because you think is low...i think japan has like the third or fourth largest defense budget. i do beleive they have a navy that can rival russia.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TheIraq wrote: »
    US loses in the WWIII Superbowl to China....... It's just waaaaayyyyyy to many China people for us..... If yall saw the opening ceremony to the Beijeng Olympics yall know what I'm talkin about......

china will lose to the US. doesn't mean ? to have all those people if you can move them.
    the only way to beat the US is to have a strong navy and be able to sustain a long distance war. china cant do that.

think about it like this.....you have 500 million troops that cant move and just getting bombarded from the sea, and bombed from the sky. that number slowly drops. yes, china has stealth fighters, but they are not battle proven. even if the f35 is a piece of ? , the raptor is the go to hardware, hell even the modernized f15 can take out the j20 or j22 or whatever.

then they think their one aircraft carrier is something. come holla at me when you have a legit battlegroup. it was funny when china had that sub pop up in the battlegroup like they surprised the US, but i am sure it was a shadowing los angeles class fast attack sub right behind them waiting for the torpedo doors to open.
  • janklow
    Options
    Lmao @ vietnam
    Vietnam deserves a place in this tournament if random-ass countries like Ireland are getting in
    And it's not like Germany doesn't have a top ten military right?
    not really. especially not if the UK gets left out. consider who really carries the water for NATO: the US, the UK, and France.
    I'm not sure. Vietnam very well might deserve to be there, but I considered it to have a global military rank of about 26 or so and there's 24 participants, so I probably decided to just leave it out.
    booo
    pralims wrote: »
    china will lose to the US. doesn't mean ? to have all those people if you can move them.
    the only way to beat the US is to have a strong navy and be able to sustain a long distance war. china cant do that.
    the other thing to consider is that China does not get the practice that the US does at this whole "war with dudes" thing
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    brazil wins against canada
    uk kills ireland
    south korea wins against the north
    spain wins against mexico
    thailand probably wins against saudi arabia
    syria could win against israel without nukes and u.s. help if they werent in a civil war
    taiwan has a good army but japan wins by strength in nmbrs
    iran and egypt could be interesting, id say iran wins
  • Plutarch
    Options
    And it's not like Germany doesn't have a top ten military right?
    not really. especially not if the UK gets left out. consider who really carries the water for NATO: the US, the UK, and France.

Ah ok. You're right, you're right. UK's going to make it past the first round anyway.
    I'm not sure. Vietnam very well might deserve to be there, but I considered it to have a global military rank of about 26 or so and there's 24 participants, so I probably decided to just leave it out.
    booo

Everybody's a critic heh.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • MrSoutCity
    MrSoutCity Members Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I would put Venezuela against brazil. And Venezuela would kick the ? out of Brazil.

Iran against to Saudis. I would put my money on Iran.

North Korea vs South Korea. I am going with South based on what we know. Then again we don't really know what kind of aritillary the North has. Then again the North will be fighting on an empthy stomach.

India vs Pakistan. India hands down. Too much infighting within the Paks.

Thats all I got for now.
  • janklow
    Options
    MrSoutCity wrote: »
    I would put Venezuela against brazil. And Venezuela would kick the ? out of Brazil.
    honestly, what's this based on? Brazil's military is much larger and theoretically gets SOME practice on occasional peacekeeping missions. Venezuela's ... does what, marches in parades?
    North Korea vs South Korea. I am going with South based on what we know. Then again we don't really know what kind of aritillary the North has. Then again the North will be fighting on an empthy stomach.
    i think we know the North inflates their might. messy conflict, to be sure, but i can't see how the North wins it.
  • MrSoutCity
    MrSoutCity Members Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    honestly, what's this based on? Brazil's military is much larger and theoretically gets SOME practice on occasional peacekeeping missions. Venezuela's ... does what, marches in parades?
    i think we know the North inflates their might. messy conflict, to be sure, but i can't see how the North wins it.

Couple years back this indigenous group in Guyana wanted to break away and form there own country, The only way they could have gotten this done was with the help of Chevez. If this happened then they would also cut out sections of Northern Brazil. The last president of brazil stated to one of them NATO muggfugger that if Venezuela was to invade Guyana, on behalf of said indigenous group. Brazil would have no choice but to get involve and would seek NATO assistance because no South American country could match Venezuelas military.......I will try my best to find that article. This was the moment I lost respect for Brazil.
  • janklow
    Options
    Brazil would have no choice but to get involve and would seek NATO assistance because no South American country could match Venezuelas military.......I will try my best to find that article. This was the moment I lost respect for Brazil.
    interesting point, but i also see this as political posturing: if Venezuela knows that this action will provoke a NATO rather than Brazilian response, they have to ask themselves if the larger conflict is worth it.

ultimately i tend to side with the military that actually goes out and does stuff. but that is my admitted bias.

• Plutarch
    Options

Interesting. For a minute there, I thought you were Venezuelan and were just picking Venezuela out of mere patriotism heh. Wait, are you Venezuelan?
  • Plutarch
    Options
    I'll try to post the second round next week.