Lets talk about Isreal (Jewish posters please holla)

Options

Comments

• Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why is America so loyal to Israel? I've asked that question many times as well. My general conclusion is that America uses Israel as its one and only special ally and resource in the Middle East (for everything from oil to imperialism to anti-terrorism).

For this reason, America blindly favors Israel in everything she does even though the UN criticizes Israel and even though Israel commits atrocities just as Palestine does. So it's a "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine" mentality.

For a long time, I always believed that Israel was an illegal state, but I've done my research and found out that Israel legally became a state and so rightfully desreves to exist as one. But since becoming a state, Israel has done a lot of shady things and need to be held accountable for those actions. And America, of all nations, needs to admit this much. Fortunately, not every American politician is blindly devoted to Israel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPQv3pGbblE

Unfortunately, these politicians are shouted down by brainwashed ignoramuses. Propaganda ftw.
    Israel treats Ethiopian/African refugees like ? .. ? Israel..

goat sig
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    I get that but still, America needs to start backing up its words with actions....how about cutting off all aid to Israel until it learns to stop stealing water and land? And building illegal settlements?
    you had an administration that took this position, and then everyone threw it out and put Clinton in there. what can i say
    Plutarch wrote: »
    Why is America so loyal to Israel? I've asked that question many times as well.
    think about how people lined up during the Cold War. and then that relationship lasts for decades, and here we are now

• Plutarch
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    Why is America so loyal to Israel? I've asked that question many times as well.
    think about how people lined up during the Cold War. and then that relationship lasts for decades, and here we are now

True. But it's much deeper than the influences of the Cold War imo. And btw, not every Cold War alliance has held up. U.S. and Iran were cool back then. Afghanistan is still a battleground between anti-Americanism and pro-Americanism. The Soviet Union even started out supporting Israel during te Cold War.

If America truly believed in freedom and human rights, it wouldn't be so loyal as to ignore Israel's border violations and oppression of her critics. The UN has rightfully criticized Israel. So has the EU, and the EU consists of many of the same Western powers who lined up with Israel during the Cold War. And Russia, an "enemy" of Israel by association, is not a EU member.
  • janklow
    Options
    True. But it's much deeper than the influences of the Cold War imo. And btw, not every Cold War alliance has held up. U.S. and Iran were cool back then. Afghanistan is still a battleground between anti-Americanism and pro-Americanism. The Soviet Union even started out supporting Israel during the Cold War.
    i think it's fair to say there was a distinct political change in Iran that caused this which stands out from the average nation in the conversation. Afghanistan being a battleground doesn't really seem to counter what i am saying either.

as for Russia, they were lining up with the Arab nations to vote against Resolution 194 back in 1948, and quickly moved into the role of supplying said nations to fight Israel again and again. this is why you see us wrangling Israel and the USSR wrangling those nations. yeah, they weren't ENEMIES with Israel, but that is what it is.
    If America truly believed in freedom and human rights, it wouldn't be so loyal as to ignore Israel's border violations and oppression of her critics.
    and thus we come to the debate between idealism and realism

• Plutarch
    edited February 2013
    Options
    True. But it's much deeper than the influences of the Cold War imo. And btw, not every Cold War alliance has held up. U.S. and Iran were cool back then. Afghanistan is still a battleground between anti-Americanism and pro-Americanism. The Soviet Union even started out supporting Israel during the Cold War.
    i think it's fair to say there was a distinct political change in Iran that caused this which stands out from the average nation in the conversation. Afghanistan being a battleground doesn't really seem to counter what i am saying either.

I agree and disagree; however, the general point that I was making was that we have come a long way since the Cold War. It's possible that I misunderstood you, but imo you seemed to have said that the national alliances that existed during the Cold War have generally lasted to the present. Obviously, Iran is a counter-example. And I cited Afghanistan as well since the U.S., Pakistan, and the Afghans formed a loose alliance to fight off the Soviets back in the day. Today, however, many Afghans are less friendly towards the United States.

I think that it's the same or that it should have been the same with Israel as well. Remember, Israel blew up a U.S. military ship, killing Americans. And what did the U.S. do in response? They basically said, "Oh golly. Well, mistakes happen," and shrugged it off. Israel is also selling technology to China. U.S.'s response? "Could you please not do that, Israel? Pretty please with sugar on top?" And now Israel is violating borders sanctions that were partially influenced by yours truly, the U.S. And so the U.N. and the EU criticizes Israel, yet the U.S. acts sheepish? The ? doesn't make sense, not unless you add my idea that the U.S. uses Israel as its one and only special ally and resource in the Middle East. Israel doesnt need the U.S. anymore. It's the U.S. that apparently needs Israel.
    as for Russia, they were lining up with the Arab nations to vote against Resolution 194 back in 1948, and quickly moved into the role of supplying said nations to fight Israel again and again. this is why you see us wrangling Israel and the USSR wrangling those nations. yeah, they weren't ENEMIES with Israel, but that is what it is.

True, but I'm pretty sure that I read that Stalin started out supporting the Zionists. I don't think that Russia has as much to do with why America and Israel are so buddy-buddy as much as, say, Iran has as much to do with why America and Israel are so buddy-buddy. I just brought up Russia because they seemed to have flip-flopped with their stance towards Israel, which is yet another Cold War alliance that changed. But I know. What you said is true. It was the commies vs the capitalists. And Israel wasn't ? , so they came to be on our side. My problem isn't so much why we're on the same side. My problem is why we're so loyal to each other, or rather why the U.S. is so unconditionally loyal to Israel. That weird-ass Bachmann lady called Israel our "biggest ally." Really? Israel is our biggest ally? Not Canada or Britain? But Israel? What has Israel really done for us lately?
    If America truly believed in freedom and human rights, it wouldn't be so loyal as to ignore Israel's border violations and oppression of her critics.

Ok? Yes, I know the difference, and I'm well-aware of the discrepancy. But a nation should practice what it preaches. America has not and does not practice what it preaches. And this is largely the reason why America is currently in so much trouble.

• janklow
    Options
    I agree and disagree; however, the general point that I was making was that we have come a long way since the Cold War. It's possible that I misunderstood you, but imo you seemed to have said that the national alliances that existed during the Cold War have generally lasted to the present.
    what i am specifically talking about is Israel spending the Cold War being America's buddy and continuing on those lines while the nations around it went more pro-USSR and thus had this extra hurdle in their relationship. Iran is a separate point because it had a major change in government; see also Warsaw Pact nations that broke with THEIR old style of government and became friendly with the West.
    I think that it's the same or that it should have been the same with Israel as well. Remember, Israel blew up a U.S. military ship, killing Americans.
    remember, this is not an accurate representation of what happened: if nothing else, they did not blow up the ship. they did ? Americans, but then we get into the debate about what happened there, etc, etc.
    Israel is also selling technology to China. U.S.'s response? "Could you please not do that, Israel? Pretty please with sugar on top?"
    for the record, there's a reason why the US puts Israel up there with Russia and China as nations to watch for espionage and the like.
    And now Israel is violating borders sanctions that were partially influenced by yours truly, the U.S. And so the U.N. and the EU criticizes Israel, yet the U.S. acts sheepish? The ? doesn't make sense-
    you tend to act "sheepish" regarding your allies as a general rule. hell, North Korea needs China a lot more than China needs NK, but they STILL flout things China asks of them... and then China acts sheepish about it. it happens.
    True, but I'm pretty sure that I read that Stalin started out supporting the Zionists.
    he may have also been cool with pogroms in the USSR.
    That weird-ass Bachmann lady called Israel our "biggest ally." Really? Israel is our biggest ally? Not Canada or Britain? But Israel? What has Israel really done for us lately?
    Bachmann is also an idiot hammering this point for domestic political reasons.
    Ok? Yes, I know the difference, and I'm well-aware of the discrepancy. But a nation should practice what it preaches.
    okay, let's hear this list of nations that DO practice what they preach.
  • Plutarch
    Options
    I agree and disagree; however, the general point that I was making was that we have come a long way since the Cold War. It's possible that I misunderstood you, but imo you seemed to have said that the national alliances that existed during the Cold War have generally lasted to the present.
    what i am specifically talking about is Israel spending the Cold War being America's buddy and continuing on those lines while the nations around it went more pro-USSR and thus had this extra hurdle in their relationship. Iran is a separate point because it had a major change in government; see also Warsaw Pact nations that broke with THEIR old style of government and became friendly with the West.

Ok, understood.
    I think that it's the same or that it should have been the same with Israel as well. Remember, Israel blew up a U.S. military ship, killing Americans.
    remember, this is not an accurate representation of what happened: if nothing else, they did not blow up the ship. they did ? Americans, but then we get into the debate about what happened there, etc, etc.

Fair enough. That might turn this into an entirely different argument.
    Israel is also selling technology to China. U.S.'s response? "Could you please not do that, Israel? Pretty please with sugar on top?"
    for the record, there's a reason why the US puts Israel up there with Russia and China as nations to watch for espionage and the like.

Nice to have such a great ally. One that we can't even trust as much as we do our biggest rivals. Yet Israel is America's "great" ally?
    And now Israel is violating borders sanctions that were partially influenced by yours truly, the U.S. And so the U.N. and the EU criticizes Israel, yet the U.S. acts sheepish? The ? doesn't make sense-
    you tend to act "sheepish" regarding your allies as a general rule. hell, North Korea needs China a lot more than China needs NK, but they STILL flout things China asks of them... and then China acts sheepish about it. it happens.

Ok, but that sounds like one of my points that I made. You say that NK needs China a lot more than China needs NK, but why does the U.S. (possibly the greatest power in the world) need Israel more than Israel needs the U.S.?
    True, but I'm pretty sure that I read that Stalin started out supporting the Zionists.
    he may have also been cool with pogroms in the USSR.

Yeah, well, Stalin was Stalin. But the point I was trying to make about Stalin is irrelevant now.
    That weird-ass Bachmann lady called Israel our "biggest ally." Really? Israel is our biggest ally? Not Canada or Britain? But Israel? What has Israel really done for us lately?
    Bachmann is also an idiot hammering this point for domestic political reasons.

Bachmann and damn near every politician as well is hammering this point to the extent that Americans honestly believe that Israel is vital to sustain America. Again, why is America and Israel so buddy-buddy, especially when Israel can stand on its own two. America is like the parent who's always trying to hang out with his kid and his kid's friends. ? is weird. America has no business meddling with Israel and the Middle East.
    Ok? Yes, I know the difference, and I'm well-aware of the discrepancy. But a nation should practice what it preaches.
    okay, let's hear this list of nations that DO practice what they preach.

I can say Switzerland this and Canada that to a good extent. And even Cuba. The particular case about the United States is that it's now not giving zero ? about its Constitution or about democracy. And there's very little democracy in the Middle East, so the Middle East doesn't have to care too much about democracy. But that gives the United States the right to not care either?

Again, my main problem is not so much America's alliance with Israel as much as it is America's unconditional support for and "dependence" on Israel. Like I said, unlike America itself, American allies from the U.N. and EU have the ? to criticize Israel. Why not America?
  • janklow
    Options
    Nice to have such a great ally. One that we can't even trust as much as we do our biggest rivals. Yet Israel is America's "great" ally?
    whether or not Israel shows us enough respect/consideration is another matter. but then, i thought the question was more "why are they are close ally" as opposed to "what are some reasons they should not be considered such a great ally?"
    Ok, but that sounds like one of my points that I made. You say that NK needs China a lot more than China needs NK, but why does the U.S. (possibly the greatest power in the world) need Israel more than Israel needs the U.S.?
    i also say that NK needs China more than vice versa, but that doesn't change China's sheepish behavior. when did i argue that the US needs Israel more than the other way around.
    Yeah, well, Stalin was Stalin. But the point I was trying to make about Stalin is irrelevant now.
    i would think Israel would be one of those nations for whom historical events are never really irrelevant...
    Bachmann and damn near every politician as well is hammering this point to the extent that Americans honestly believe that Israel is vital to sustain America.
    hello "domestic political reasons"
    Again, why is America and Israel so buddy-buddy, especially when Israel can stand on its own two.
    wait, why do we state Israel CAN stand on its own two? i think that might actually be debatable.
    America has no business meddling with Israel and the Middle East.
    why would we say this? America clearly has business in the region, and it leads to what can be called meddling. this applies to a lot of other countries as well.
    I can say Switzerland this and Canada that to a good extent. And even Cuba.
    Switzerland might qualify on the grounds that they're presumably neutral before all, but i wonder if that's 100% true. i bet Canada doesn't because they help out with something here and there that'd you'd consider violating "what they preach." and Cuba? CUBA? get back to me when the nation isn't run by the Castro brothers.
    The particular case about the United States is that it's now not giving zero ? about its Constitution or about democracy. And there's very little democracy in the Middle East, so the Middle East doesn't have to care too much about democracy.
    wait, this started NOW? huh.
    Again, my main problem is not so much America's alliance with Israel as much as it is America's unconditional support for and "dependence" on Israel. Like I said, unlike America itself, American allies from the U.N. and EU have the ? to criticize Israel. Why not America?
    the ultimate problem here is that you don't think that the US should support Israel to the extent it does. great. but this also means that if someone says "here's why we do," you're not going to agree. so really, you shouldn't ask why America supports Israel, but instead, just make your argument as to why they shouldn't.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lil Loca wrote: »
    Zionism is a colonialist/racist/violent ideology and is supported by the United States because of Israel's geopolitical location and access to resources. The United States has a history of supporting oppressive regimes, as long as they can be allies to each other politically and economically.

Also, many Jews who live in Israel today aren't even direct descendants of the original Israelites. Thus, the real conversation is not about whose original "homeland" it is--the question is about power and the establishment of a racial hiearchy and genocide of people who don't fit with Zionist social order.

Bingo.....
  • janklow
    Options
    Lady_Zee wrote: »
    Because America is 'run' by a large number of powerful rich Zionists.
    okay, i was wondering how long it would take us to get to this point.
    The United States has a history of supporting oppressive regimes, as long as they can be allies to each other politically and economically.
    ...just like every other world power of note? SO MUCH SURPRISE IS GOING ON HERE THAT I CAN BARELY STAND IT ALL
  • janklow
    Options
    Your sarcasm doesn't change that fact.
    no, but it makes me wonder why people spend so much time fussing about America doing it when it's a concept essentially everyone embraces.

• And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    Options
    no, but it makes me wonder why people spend so much time fussing about America doing it when it's a concept essentially everyone embraces.

Is this opinion or fact? Last time I checked very few countries have the global presence or influence of America. Matter of fact, I would dare say there has never been a nation that has had that like America in the history of this world. They not only support it, they influence and put them in place.
  • janklow
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    Last time I checked very few countries have the global presence or influence of America.
    America's actions may have a larger impact, but what countries don't support oppressive regimes for their own benefit?
    And Step wrote: »
    They not only support it, they influence and put them in place.
    what significant power hasn't?

• kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I guess it comes down to the fact most of us here are Americans and expect more of our govt. WHY we expect more, good question, corruption is the American way at this point.
  • janklow
    Options
    I guess it comes down to the fact most of us here are Americans and expect more of our govt.
    that's a fair point. usually, however, it comes off not as disappointment, but straightforward opposition.

• Plutarch
    Options
    I guess it comes down to the fact most of us here are Americans and expect more of our govt.
    that's a fair point. usually, however, it comes off not as disappointment, but straightforward opposition.

I understand, but why can't it be both or either (including just the latter)? That's something to be both disappointed in and opposed to imo.
  • Plutarch
    Options
    I know it’s been a while but I’ve been meaning to respond so…
    whether or not Israel shows us enough respect/consideration is another matter. but then, i thought the question was more "why are they are close ally" as opposed to "what are some reasons they should not be considered such a great ally?"
    No, my point is that, at worst, they’re our foes, and at best, they’re very bad allies – so bad that they certainly shouldn’t be our close allies.
    i also say that NK needs China more than vice versa, but that doesn't change China's sheepish behavior. when did i argue that the US needs Israel more than the other way around.
    You didn’t make that argument, and it was never my intention to say or imply that you did. I asked the question to you in order to make a potential point to support my argument. My point was that since North Korea (the inferior power) needs China (the superior power), it makes sense for North Korea to latch on to China. However, since Israel (the inferior power) “needs” the United States (the superior power), it would make sense for Israel to latch on to the United States, but imho, I don’t even think Israel really wants or needs America as much as we think. In fact, the roles are reversed. America (the superior power) apparently desperately latches on to Israel (the inferior power). That essentially is odd and nonsensical if you disregard America’s pension for detrimental opportunism. Never mind the fact that Israel can stand on its own two and doesn’t need America. Like I said, America is a mom who is steady trying to hang out with her daughter and her daughter’s friends. And that is odd.
    i would think Israel would be one of those nations for whom historical events are never really irrelevant...
    C’mon. I really don’t want to go down this road because it doesn’t even truly address the main argument at hand imo. Let me just clarify. My original point was that Stalin and the Soviet Union initially supported Israel. I made that point to counter your point that America and Israel are allies because they were Cold War allies and that Cold War alliances were apparently so strong and stables that they lasted through the decades to our present times. The fact that the Soviet Union later reversed their support for Israel and the fact that many other alliances (some of which I cited) fell through, at the least, complicates your theory. But all of this is neither here nor there because I doubt that the Soviet Union, communism, and the like have an active role in the present and close alliance between America and Israel. And I doubt that other parts of history and other historical events do either. Israel is cool with Germany today. And Stalin was batshit crazy and didn’t make too much sense half the time, so we can’t just go and say that he was definitively against Israel while disregarding evidence to the contrary. Here’s an insightful article: http://www.marxist.com/israel-stalin-zionism150503.htm
    Bachmann and damn near every politician as well is hammering this point to the extent that Americans honestly believe that Israel is vital to sustain America.
    hello "domestic political reasons"
    Hello false reality. That still doesn’t change the fact that most people (perhaps you as well) think that the close alliance between Israel and America is actually sensible.
  • Plutarch
    Options
    Again, why is America and Israel so buddy-buddy, especially when Israel can stand on its own two.
    wait, why do we state Israel CAN stand on its own two? i think that might actually be debatable.
    Perhaps that is debatable, but I honestly don’t think so. Israel has received American training (the best) and support/supplies. Israel is nuclear capable. Israel has never lost a war and has destroyed many of its Arab neighbor-enemies (even Iran, the big talker, is scared) throughout several wars and conflicts. This adds up to plenty of experience. Israel has a powerful air force. And most of all, its military is self-sufficient and self-reliant. Shall I even mention the Mossad?
    America has no business meddling with Israel and the Middle East.
    why would we say this? America clearly has business in the region, and it leads to what can be called meddling. this applies to a lot of other countries as well.
    Ok, I disagree. Ok, let me say this: America should have a “normal” and reasonable international relationship with the Middle East as far as standard trading and such go. But the point that you’re missing is that America is an imperialistic nation whose greed is so unbridled that we’re willing to ? innocent civilians and start unnecessary wars for self-benefit like no other nations are doing. Like I said, the U.N., the EU, and many European nations are not doing the same idiotic things that America is doing but are in fact condemning these things and are criticizing Israel. America is special case. You can’t say that other countries are doing the same because that’s not really true. And even if it was true, that doesn’t mean that it’s right (not saying that you’re saying this but you seem to be implying it). Why would it?
    I can say Switzerland this and Canada that to a good extent. And even Cuba.
    Switzerland might qualify on the grounds that they're presumably neutral before all, but i wonder if that's 100% true. i bet Canada doesn't because they help out with something here and there that'd you'd consider violating "what they preach." and Cuba? CUBA? get back to me when the nation isn't run by the Castro brothers.
    I wouldn’t know about Canada, so school me. I’m sure it’s nowhere as bad as America though. I don’t see Canadian troops bombing Pakistan and flying drones around Iran. Ok, Cuba is a bad example. I guess I was just thinking about America’s petty and outdated beef with Cuba – a stupid beef that hurts both nations. When Cuba sends doctors to help you after 9/11, and you refuse them because of a 50 year old grudge, you look stupid and perhaps “un-American?” and Cuba, on the other hand, ends up looking “American” since America is all about being the Superman of the world’s unfortunate (i.e., the world’s unfortunate who reside only in particular areas in the Middle East where there’s oil, and so that excludes Sudan, Kosovo, etc.)
    The particular case about the United States is that it's now not giving zero ? about its Constitution or about democracy. And there's very little democracy in the Middle East, so the Middle East doesn't have to care too much about democracy.
    wait, this started NOW? huh.
    Let me correct/clarify myself. Not really starting now. Rather just getting worse. Bush was bad, but Obama is just piling on.
    the ultimate problem here is that you don't think that the US should support Israel to the extent it does. great. but this also means that if someone says "here's why we do," you're not going to agree. so really, you shouldn't ask why America supports Israel, but instead, just make your argument as to why they shouldn't.
    But wasn’t the original question about “why America supports Israel?” I have no problems changing the topic to “why America shouldn’t support Israel,” but I was just responding to the original topic.
    And I’m willing to listen to any reasonable argument that opposes my stance. I’m a reasonable person, so I’m also willing to change my mind if such an oppositional argument proves to be valid. So I don’t know why you automatically assume that I’m “not going to agree.”
  • janklow
    Options
    I understand, but why can't it be both or either (including just the latter)? That's something to be both disappointed in and opposed to imo.
    there is a difference between being disappointed with what America does and having a problem with America, period.

• janklow
    Options
    No, my point is that, at worst, they’re our foes, and at best, they’re very bad allies – so bad that they certainly shouldn’t be our close allies.
    ...so again, my point is, i thought the question was, why ARE they our ally, not why are they bad allies.
    My point was that since North Korea (the inferior power) needs China (the superior power), it makes sense for North Korea to latch on to China. However, since Israel (the inferior power) “needs” the United States (the superior power), it would make sense for Israel to latch on to the United States, but imho, I don’t even think Israel really wants or needs America as much as we think. In fact, the roles are reversed. America (the superior power) apparently desperately latches on to Israel (the inferior power). That essentially is odd and nonsensical-
    again, i think the China/NK example stands. China gets continually embarrassed by NK and yet apparently desperately latches on to NK. that said, i am not sure that i would agree that a) either the US or China behaves DESPERATELY or b) that Israel "can stand on its own two and doesn’t need America."
    C’mon. I really don’t want to go down this road because it doesn’t even truly address the main argument at hand imo. Let me just clarify. My original point was that Stalin and the Soviet Union initially supported Israel. I made that point to counter your point that America and Israel are allies because they were Cold War allies and that Cold War alliances were apparently so strong and stables that they lasted through the decades to our present times. The fact that the Soviet Union later reversed their support for Israel and the fact that many other alliances (some of which I cited) fell through, at the least, complicates your theory.
    does this article not imply that Stalin's support of Israel was essentially a cynical ploy to gain advantages against Western nations? because if so, i don't know how much that counts. and in fact, it implies that the Cold War alliance is valid: Israel veered toward America because they saw them as a legitimate ally and then kept it up for the duration of the Cold War. even if you think the USSR gets points for the early days, i have a theory that all those wars where Israel fought nations bristling with hardware from the USSR are going to have a bigger effect on Israel's opinion than thinking "once Stalin wasn't ? to us."
    Hello false reality. That still doesn’t change the fact that most people (perhaps you as well) think that the close alliance between Israel and America is actually sensible.
    if most people think it's sensible, perhaps domestic politicians comes into play as a reflection of that.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Options
    The Palestinians aren't innocent in this problem, they shoot themselves in the foot every chance they get

Word. Israel's growing intransigence has made people forget this.
    rage wrote: »
    You gotta respect Isreal's gangsta...regardless of their motives. They are not to be ? with.

I've been saying for years that any Black Nationalist who is serious about that cause of an independent nation *has* to look at Israel as an example. The Zionists wanted a country and they took it. Developed it, built wise alliances, got nukes. They ? over the Muslims....before the Muslims could ? them over. All in the game. What do you think it would be like if Black Nationalism actually achieved getting a sovereign nation? You really think we gonna pull that off by being really nice to White People? lol fuuuuuck no. Its gonna be like "We own this land now, YOU GOT TIL SUNDOWN", Khalid Muhammed style. Maybe you could take a page from the Haitian Revolution and let the young white women stay....

Ok? Yes, I know the difference, and I'm well-aware of the discrepancy. But a nation should practice what it preaches. America has not and does not practice what it preaches. And this is largely the reason why America is currently in so much trouble.

What's that, you say? The country essentially founded by a slave-owner that obsessed by the concept of liberty has some stark differences between its ideals and its actions? Shocking!

Really, how many countries out there espouse "freedom and human rights" with fully clean hands and no hypocrisy? (I love to hear ppl praise Chavez like he hasn't enthusiastically supported literally every regime threatened by the Arab Spring) Maybe a couple of Europe's smaller socialist democracies? Then on the flip side, every brutal dictatorship ever always talks on ton of ? about how they have so much respect for "human rights". Seriously, even North Korea has the ? to do this. "The great leader General Kim Jong Il said that human rights are the inviolable and inalienable rights of the people in our country" haha, right

America needs to do better, but its always needed to do better. At least it kind of tries though.
  • janklow
    Options
    Perhaps that is debatable, but I honestly don’t think so. Israel has received American training (the best) and support/supplies. Israel is nuclear capable. Israel has never lost a war and has destroyed many of its Arab neighbor-enemies (even Iran, the big talker, is scared) throughout several wars and conflicts. This adds up to plenty of experience. Israel has a powerful air force. And most of all, its military is self-sufficient and self-reliant. Shall I even mention the Mossad?
    well...
    --Israel receiving American training and support/supplies is not the best argument that Israel is self-sufficient;
    --Israel can't really acknowledge that publicly, but being nuclear-capable seems more like a last-ditch resort that something that keeps them truly self-sufficient;
    --Israel also has never lost a war because, in at least one case (1973), we directly saved their ass. and while they DO have plenty of experience (which always matters to me), it's actually been quite some time until they kicked some ass in an undisputed way in a war. do i think anyone, to include Iran, really wants to fight them? PROBABLY not, but...
    --their air force is awesome, but this is not without its limitations;
    --i don't think their military is as self-reliant as you think, considering the amount of hardware they get from us.
    But the point that you’re missing is that America is an imperialistic nation whose greed is so unbridled that we’re willing to ? innocent civilians and start unnecessary wars for self-benefit like no other nations are doing.
    i guess you mean "like no other nations are doing RIGHT NOW?" of course, we're also saying this like the US is intending to ? innocent civilians (certainly debatable) and that the wars are ONLY for self-benefit.
    You can’t say that other countries are doing the same because that’s not really true. And even if it was true, that doesn’t mean that it’s right (not saying that you’re saying this but you seem to be implying it). Why would it?
    it doesn't make it right, but it makes me wonder why it's only a problem when the US does it.
    I wouldn’t know about Canada, so school me. I’m sure it’s nowhere as bad as America though. I don’t see Canadian troops bombing Pakistan and flying drones around Iran.
    well, to start, you bashed the wars the US fights... and Canada is typically there taking part in those wars. their role in Iraq was a little nuanced, but Afghanistan clearly saw a lot of Canadian action. as for drones, well, some of these NATO nations are going to let the US do their work for them.
    Ok, Cuba is a bad example. I guess I was just thinking about America’s petty and outdated beef with Cuba – a stupid beef that hurts both nations. When Cuba sends doctors to help you after 9/11, and you refuse them because of a 50 year old grudge, you look stupid and perhaps “un-American?” and Cuba, on the other hand, ends up looking “American” since America is all about being the Superman of the world’s unfortunate (i.e., the world’s unfortunate who reside only in particular areas in the Middle East where there’s oil, and so that excludes Sudan, Kosovo, etc.)
    and yet there isn't much actual criticism for Cuban hypocrisy, which was supposedly the point here. also note that i believe Cuba has refused US assistance as well for the same reasons. and do i have to call absolute ? on this "the US only helps people where there's oil?" because i am pretty sure we can find plenty of humanitarian missions in non-oil-producing nations. wouldn't want to get in the way of praising Cuba, though!
    But wasn’t the original question about “why America supports Israel?” I have no problems changing the topic to “why America shouldn’t support Israel,” but I was just responding to the original topic.
    right, and when i say "here's why," your response is typically "but they also do bad things." i presumed from the jump that we all knew Israel did things that make our lives difficult.
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Btw to above Canada never went to Iraq, Chretien told Bush to ? off. Canada sent troops to Afghanistan though
  • janklow
    Options
    Btw to above Canada never went to Iraq, Chretien told Bush to ? off. Canada sent troops to Afghanistan though
    uh... did you read what i actually posted? their role was nuanced because they did things to assist the US in Iraq (ship ? details, exchange officers involved with American units) while not REALLY committing troops to the war. i grant you that it's fair to say in a broad sense that Canada wasn't in the war, but i am not claiming they were.

• Paul Hate.
    Paul Hate. Members Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What do you mean why?B/c of the amount of jews and the economic influence they have in the U.S. As well wanting some sort of ally or foothold in a oil producing part of the globe.

I beleive in Palestinian statehood but I do support isreal as well.