Humanoid robot to be 'born' in months.

cobbland
cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
Humanoid robot to be 'born' in months (2:06)

Jan. 28 - Swiss scientists are preparing to unveil a humanoid robot which they say represents a future in which automotons co-exist naturally with people. Called ''Roboy'', the robot has been designed to function much like a person, for use as a helper in the factory or the home. Basmah Fahim has more.

Meet Roboy, a robot designed to look and behave like a human. Scientists at the University of Zurich's Artificial Intelligence lab, have given themselves just nine months to build him - and he's almost ready to be unveiled in public. What makes Roboy different to other humanoid robots is the way he moves. He's being developed to walk like a human through the use of what Professor Rolf Pfeiffer calls, tendon driven technology. (SOUNDBITE) PROFESSOR ROLF PFEIFER, DIRECTOR OF ZURICH'S ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE (AI) LAB, SAYING: "Traditionally most robots have motors in their joints. But humans don't have motors in their joints and we try to be more realistic in terms of imitating human beings. Humans have bones, joints, muscles and tendons, so this is also called a tendon driven robot." It took six months to build Roboy's torso. Modelled on human anatomy it has a flexible spinal chord. But Roboy wont be confined to a lab - scientists envisage a future where automotons like Roboy work in factories or in homes helping the elderly. (SOUNDBITE) PROFESSOR ROLF PFEIFER, DIRECTOR OF ZURICH'S ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE (AI) LAB, SAYING: "It can be used in a household environment, in can be used in a manufacturing environment, wherever we co-operate with people and I think this co-operation is very important. the human-robot, human-machine, co-operation. Providing technology, also we often talk about the ageing population, providing technology that will help the people to be autonomous for as long as possible." At 1.2 metres tall not only will Roboy move like a human, but he'll also be programmed to recognise people's faces. Several research institiutions and private companies are involved in the project. But the team here are looking to the public to raise funds so that Roboy can be brought to life. They're using crowdfunding, and offering the chance for companis to have their logos etched on the humanoid's body. Roboy will be unveiled in March at a Robotics Expo in Zurich, where his creators hope he'll put his best foot forward. .

http://in.reuters.com/video/2013/01/28/humanoid-robot-to-be-born-in-months?videoId=240801135

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-B6AQ2xMMU

Comments

• Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jamel, I think robots are going to take over before the zombie threat. Or maybe they save us from the zombies.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sooo, that will be all. I guess we can all relax and enjoy reality TV while the robots do our jobs for us.
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the prequel to Terminator 1
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This reminds me of the early history of dune. We are about to see the ? Emperor in 10000 years soon.
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2lDmF8ZShI

Are robots hurting job growth?
    The following script is from "March of the Machines" which aired on Jan. 13, 2013. Steve Kroft is the correspondent. Harry Radliffe and Maria Gavrilovic, producers.

One of the hallmarks of the 21st century is that we are all having more and more interactions with machines and fewer with human beings. If you've lost your white collar job to downsizing, or to a worker in India or China you're most likely a victim of what economists have called technological unemployment. There is a lot of it going around with more to come.

At the vanguard of this new wave of automation is the field of robotics. Everyone has a different idea of what a robot is and what they look like but the broad universal definition is a machine that can perform the job of a human. They can be mobile or stationary, hardware or software, and they are marching out of the realm of science fiction and into the mainstream.

The age of robots has been anticipated since the beginning of the last century. Fritz Lang fantasized about it in his 1927 film "Metropolis." In the 1940s and 50s, robots were often portrayed as household help.

And by the time "Star Wars" trilogy arrived, robots with their computerized brains and nerve systems had been fully integrated into our imagination. Now they're finally here, but instead of serving us, we found that they are competing for our jobs. And according to MIT professors, Erik Brynjolfsson and Andrew McAfee, one of the reasons for the jobless recovery.

Andrew McAfee: Our economy is bigger than it was before the start of the Great Recession. Corporate profits are back. Business investment in hardware and software is back higher than it's ever been. What's not back is the jobs.

Steve Kroft: And you think technology and increased automation is a factor in that?

Erik Brynjolfsson: Absolutely.

The percentage of Americans with jobs is at a 20-year low. Just a few years ago if you traveled by air you would have interacted with a human ticket agent. Today, those jobs are being replaced by robotic kiosks. Bank tellers have given way to ATMs, sales clerks are surrendering to e-commerce and switchboard operators and secretaries to voice recognition technology.

Erik Brynjolfsson: There are lots of examples of routine, middle-skilled jobs that involve relatively structured tasks and those are the jobs that are being eliminated the fastest. Those kinds of jobs are easier for our friends in the artificial intelligence community to design robots to handle them. They could be software robots, they could be physical robots.

Steve Kroft: What is there out there that people would be surprised to learn about? In the robotics area, let's say.

Andrew McAfee: There are heavily automated warehouses where there are either very few or no people around. That absolutely took me by surprise.

It's on display at this huge distribution center in Devens, Mass., where roughly 100 employees work alongside 69 robots that do all the heavy lifting and navigate a warehouse maze the size of two football fields -- moving 10,000 pieces of merchandise a day from storage shelf to shipping point faster and more efficiently than human workers ever could.

Bruce Welty: We think its part of the new American economy.

Bruce Welty is CEO of Quiet Logistics, which fills orders and ships merchandise for retailers in the apparel industry. This entire operation was designed around the small orange robots made by a company outside Boston called Kiva. And can now be found in warehouses all over the country.

Steve Kroft: Now this is the order that she is filling, right, on this screen.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18560_162-57563618/are-robots-hurting-job-growth/
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    This reminds me of the early history of dune. We are about to see the ? Emperor in 10000 years soon.

dune was the ? .....harkkonens ? what?
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    reminds me of Prometheus. Let's just hope this doesn't turn into a Matrix situation.
  • twatgetta
    twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plutarch wrote: »
    reminds me of Prometheus. Let's just hope this doesn't turn into a Matrix situation.

too late. we are already in the midst of it. get ready .
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    twatgetta wrote: »
    Plutarch wrote: »

too late. we are already in the midst of it. get ready .

Oh? How so?
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always said a.i. will be the end to mankind. We'll get there.
  • poindexter2
    poindexter2 Members Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay we got astro boy. Now I'm just waiting on android 17 & 18.

Comics/sci-fi coming to life right before our eyes
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Robots will be the new slaves