can anyone believe after this?!

Options
thedesolateone
thedesolateone Members Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭✭

Comments

• BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "I gave myself permission to care more about what's true than what feels good or what's been told to me. I wanna believe as many true things and as few false things as possible."
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Part of me sympathizes with the guy. There is a certain truth about how religions can hinder people from having that "permission" to question things...and to finally have this sense that we can question an authority and not feel burdened by this perceived invincibility. But as liberating as it can be, it can become so that we don't consider where to draw the line. There is this slogan I saw for atheism that says to question everything...and yet I don't think the framers of this slogan know what it would mean to do so. There is quote somewhere that kinda goes like this...to see through everything is the same as not seeing. There is another that goes...to question everything is to give up your right to question anything.
  • thedesolateone
    thedesolateone Members Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "to question everything is to give up your right to question anything?" ,doesnt make much sense to me

"to see through everything is the same as not seeing"strikes me as a profund quote

to each...

• alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    Options
    The "question" quote I got wrong. It was in regards to rebelling against everything. But, I guess what I was trying to point out is that questioning "everything" also includes the questions...something like why ask why...or what is "what is"?