Good Android ROMS?

Options
black caesar
black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well taxes have been filed a week ago, and I'm still waiting on my refund, so I can get a Nexus 7. What are some good ROMS and what does each ROM do? Help is appreciated.

Comments

• konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    only joints I use are the Cyanogen ROMS. I have ICS installed on my LG Optimus T thanks to it...

... granted, I only use my Optimus as an MP3 player and impromptu camera... but the ? is installed and runs WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than the original Froyo it had.
  • black caesar
    Options
    only joints I use are the Cyanogen ROMS. I have ICS installed on my LG Optimus T thanks to it...

... granted, I only use my Optimus as an MP3 player and impromptu camera... but the ? is installed and runs WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than the original Froyo it had.

The Nexus has Jellybean. Are you telling me that once I install this ROM, Jellybean is gone? What does this ROM actually do? School me.
  • MrSoutCity
    MrSoutCity Members Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The nexus has vanilla android why would you want to change that?
  • black caesar
    Options
    Cain1 wrote: »
    MrSoutCity wrote: »
    The nexus has vanilla android why would you want to change that?

cs.............Nexus brand is all Google meaning it doesn't have another OS overlay on top of it slowing it down. There are some roms out there with some tweaks but with Nexus you're already straight.

So you're saying to just root the android, but chill on the ROMS for now. I got you.
  • MrSoutCity
    MrSoutCity Members Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I need a rom for that ? asus transformer pad I bought two weeks ago. I tried to return it back in order to get the galaxy tab 2 but them muggfugger wanted to charge me a 15% restocking fee....
  • black caesar
    Options
    MrSoutCity wrote: »
    I need a rom for that ? asus transformer pad I bought two weeks ago. I tried to return it back in order to get the galaxy tab 2 but them muggfugger wanted to charge me a 15% restocking fee....

All electronics stores charge that fam. There's no getting around that.
  • konceptjones
    Options
    The biggest reason to use a custom ROM is to get a version of Android for your device that the manufacturer refuses to release for it.

My Optimus T came with Froyo. LG refuses to release even Gingerbread for it, so I installed Cyanogen 7 on it and got Gingerbread running.

I was mistaken in my earlier post: I forgot that I've upgraded and now have Jellybean installed on my Optimus T via CyanogenMod 10. Jellybean, it seems, was coded against ARMv7 processors. The LG Optimus T is an ARMv6 device. The CyanogenMod team recompiled everything in JB for ARMv6 in order to get JB to work. Only ARMv7 specific stuff was left out. For me, it's fine since I really only use it for minor ? anyways, but it runs impressively smooth on this thing.

I'll post a couple of pics of JB running on this thing in a bit.
  • black caesar
    Options
    The biggest reason to use a custom ROM is to get a version of Android for your device that the manufacturer refuses to release for it.

My Optimus T came with Froyo. LG refuses to release even Gingerbread for it, so I installed Cyanogen 7 on it and got Gingerbread running.

I was mistaken in my earlier post: I forgot that I've upgraded and now have Jellybean installed on my Optimus T via CyanogenMod 10. Jellybean, it seems, was coded against ARMv7 processors. The LG Optimus T is an ARMv6 device. The CyanogenMod team recompiled everything in JB for ARMv6 in order to get JB to work. Only ARMv7 specific stuff was left out. For me, it's fine since I really only use it for minor ? anyways, but it runs impressively smooth on this thing.

I'll post a couple of pics of JB running on this thing in a bit.

Thanks for the breakdown. I'm new to Android, but I've been reading on it ans asking my friends that have android. I got big plans for the tablet.
  • will grimey
    will grimey Members Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cyanogen & BoxmaX.....I've been using BoxmaX for about 6-8 months now on my HTC HD2....Love it...
  • WiseGuyy
    WiseGuyy Members Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rooted My Old Droid X but the rons straight killed my battery life. Ill probably root still but stay away from roms
  • konceptjones
    Options
    MrWise wrote: »
    Rooted My Old Droid X but the rons straight killed my battery life. Ill probably root still but stay away from roms

I have Cyanogen 10 on my Optimus T, battery life is sooooooooooooooo much better. I thought it was gonna ? it, but it's far better than it ever was.