Big Names vs. Actual Talent in the Dunk Contest

Options
blackrain
blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
I'm among the many who feels the dunk contest is lacking star power...but I was thinking over the weekend is it actually a lack of big names in the contest vs. actual lack of exciting dunks now. Looking at the all-star game and hearing the announcers scream whenever LeBron or Durant or Griffin dunked saying they were better than the dunk contest games...but LeBron didn't do anything different than he dunks in a normal game. KD and Blake put a little extra flair in theirs, but we saw Blake in the contest and he wasn't that great. It was just knowing the name Blake Griffin was going to be in the contest tha got people hyped, then as soon as it was over it was "Ehh, it wasn't really that good"...so are people clamoring more for LeBron because he's a big name or because he'd actually pull off a dunk contest worthy dunk because 3 rounds of him just dunking really, really, powerful ain't exciting in a dunk contest. To me there's more creative dunker's than LeBron, KD, and some other big names folks want

Comments

• 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    people wanna see the stars that's basically it. What the ? is a Jeremy Evans?
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the start was bad finished on a high note though

and yea talent >> ? look up henry beckering or however you spell it ...kiddour...team flight bros who knows these cats hardly anyone but they bring imagination creativity and flair and arent shy about freaking dunks from yeseryear either ...

you have to have presence too
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    but the thing is some of these big name players have the talent to do this ? but they wont do it for some reason
  • SocialAssassinRati
    SocialAssassinRati Members Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yall do know its called all STAR weekend right? I want stars...there was a point and time where superstars actually competed in the dunk contest.

Dr.J,Nique,Kemp,Kobe,VC,MJ,Clyde,Grandmama,TMac,Franchise, ect

this 13th-15th player off the bench ? is a recent phenomenon and it ? sucks...

• Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't wanna see cats doing wack dunks, whether they're big named or not... plain and simple
  • Jeremyiahest83
    Jeremyiahest83 Members Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I think the NBA should try to cut a deal wit the And1 league & integrate NBA & And1 dunkers. I mean, it's all basketball. Those And1 players be showing they ass..
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think the NBA should try to cut a deal wit the And1 league & integrate NBA & And1 dunkers. I mean, it's all basketball. Those And1 players be showing they ass..

That's basically what they did with James White. He was the "pro dunker" and came suuuuuuuper wack. Probably won't see another streetball/pro dunker for another 20 years after that ? .

• P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Talent. I'd like to see Durant in a dunk contest though. Seem like dude could come up with some creative dunks. Honestly though this 2013 dunk contest had the right people in it
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Options
    It'd be cool to see all the TFB dudes in a dunk contest on a stage as big as the All-Star game...
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yall do know its called all STAR weekend right? I want stars...there was a point and time where superstars actually competed in the dunk contest.

I remember when Terrence "Who" Stansbury won the dunk contest and that dude John "I forgot his last name" taht played with the Knicks, dudes that's erased from memory but were not stars and won
  • SocialAssassinRati
    SocialAssassinRati Members Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I remember when Terrence "Who" Stansbury won the dunk contest and that dude John "I forgot his last name" taht played with the Knicks, dudes that's erased from memory but were not stars and won

Stansbury never won a dunk contest bruh your memory is failing you...he competed and lost(3rd place)t o the likes of Nique, and MJ for 3 straight yrs but didnt win. (Dr.J,Tom "I should be in the HOF" Chambers, Clyde Drexler, and Spud Webb were also participants in said dunk contests involving Stansbury)

Kenny Sky Walker competed against Clyde Drexler and Spud Webb in that contest he won a superstar and a former slam dunk champion respectively...also I think Hollywood Harper was in that contest. Thats not a bad lineup
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is what happens when ? get in their feelings over something that is ultimately useless in any sports debate unless your name is Shaq. Sure, it's one more trophy but does it establish you as the greatest dunker or anymore athletic/ground breaking? No.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Stansbury never won a dunk contest bruh your memory is failing you...he competed and lost(3rd place)t o the likes of Nique, and MJ for 3 straight yrs but didnt win. (Dr.J,Tom "I should be in the HOF" Chambers, Clyde Drexler, and Spud Webb were also participants in said dunk contests involving Stansbury)

Kenny Sky Walker competed against Clyde Drexler and Spud Webb in that contest he won a superstar and a former slam dunk champion respectively...also I think Hollywood Harper was in that contest. Thats not a bad lineup

*daps* Starting to forget in my old age lol, I was going off memory instead of wiki lol. But I remember a lot of no name cats participating tho
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If they are gonna put these no name ? in the dunk contest they might as well give some of these street ballers 10 day contracts the week before the dunk contest.

I'd rather see Air Up There do a 720 than see *insert wack NBA player* miss dunks for 1.5 minutes.

Powerful posting.

Street ballers vs NBA ballers.

• Make it a team dunk contest. 5 dunkers on each team. They dunk for points from the judges scores. The team with the most points at the end wins.

• To eliminate multiple, pain watching attempt, each player gets 2 attempts. If you fail to get off a dunk, your score is an automatic "0"

• If a tie occurs at the end of the contest, each team will choose one of their best dunkers for a Dunk face off. During this face off, each person gets 3 attempts. The dunker wit the highest score wins.

Just a suggestion.
  • Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    James white should of been in the dunk contest a long time ago but they put him in there at age 30 wth
  • Ether44mag
    Ether44mag Members Posts: 890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    it needs both....some stars ans some unknown who got skills ex: lebron griffin westbrooke ross green derozan
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    ? is called AllStar Weekend we need the stars
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Blake vs Lebron would shut the ? down
  • Copper
    Options
    If they are gonna put these no name ? in the dunk contest they might as well give some of these street ballers 10 day contracts the week before the dunk contest.

I'd rather see Air Up There do a 720 than see *insert wack NBA player* miss dunks for 1.5 minutes.

street ballers vs NBA dunk contest theme
    street ballers vs NBA rookies and sophmores game
  • Angeles1son85
    Angeles1son85 Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    man james white ? me offffff
  • Focal Point
    Options
    CopperKing wrote: »
    yeah over how powerful and terrible it would be, no1 wants to see Blake leaping over the front end of the hood of a car again or LeBron with another [marv albert] tomahawk slam [/marv albert]

• Copper
    Options
    c1up wrote: »
    yeah over how powerful and terrible it would be, no1 wants to see Blake leaping over the front end of the hood of a car again or LeBron with another [marv albert] tomahawk slam [/marv albert]

then dont watch ol Danny downer ass ?
  • Focal Point
    Options
    c1up wrote: »

then dont watch ol Danny downer ass ?
    ? I'm saving you from disappointment
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    After seeing some footage of LeBron's pregame dunks, ? that ? that ? needs to enter lol..I never seen him do that ? before just his in game dunks...[url]="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn7XyxmRtUU"]youtube.com/watch?v=sn7XyxmRtUU[/url]