Why Don't DC's Animated Series Get Longer Runs?

Options
Maximus Rex
Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2013 in Lights, Camera, Action!
If anything Justice League should just now be getting cancelled, but Justice League and BTS were cancelled after five years, while series Batman Beyond and Young Justice have even shorter runs. Why is that? Complaints from punks ? made liberal parents? Are production costs too high? The networks don't know what to do with the shows? Or do the ratings drop to the point were the shows have to be cancelled?

I've always found the DC animated series to be exceptional and very well written especially, Batman Beyond and Justice League, in the case I felt as if that Justice League Bruce Timm and company could got ten years out of that mutafucka. I just think it's a damn shame and it's a ? ? that that we only get two or three years out of these shows.

Comments

• ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Options
    From what I read Justice League got ? by that writer's strike. Most of the time these shows aren't meant to drag on forever. Most of them are only meant to last like 3 seasons tops. Supposedly Justice League wasn't even supposed to last as long as it did...but it did. There are many other factors that corporate heads could tell you more about, but that's pretty much the gist of it.
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I blame today's kids and their lack of attention span. Back in the 90s, it wasn't unusual for shows like Batman: TAS to get 6 seasons when it was wildly successful. Now, these corporate heads think that toy and action figure sales = longevity of animated series geared toward older kids. ? is beyond stupid and makes cult supporters mad as ? . Kids are more into their anime and poorly drawn, non- character development American animated shows nowadays.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maybe people just don't like Justice League like that. Batman is a very popular character (and probably has surpassed Superman), you can't say that about many other DC characters. It doesn't surprise me that Batman would run forever and Justice League wouldn't.
  • ShencotheMC
    Options
    Wild Self wrote: »
    I blame today's kids and their lack of attention span. Back in the 90s, it wasn't unusual for shows like Batman: TAS to get 6 seasons when it was wildly successful. Now, these corporate heads think that toy and action figure sales = longevity of animated series geared toward older kids. ? is beyond stupid and makes cult supporters mad as ? . Kids are more into their anime and poorly drawn, non- character development American animated shows nowadays.

Batman: the Animated series only got 2 seasons. It went on longer because there were more episodes to a season, and they spread them out over time.
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Batman: the Animated series only got 2 seasons. It went on longer because there were more episodes to a season, and they spread them out over time.

B:TAS got 4 season and the continuation one, The New Batman Adventures (the one that aired on the WB) lasted another 2 seasons. Hell, Batman Beyond is really a continuation of them, and that lasted 3 season. So really, from Bruce Timm, that is 9 seasons of different eras of Batman, and on top of Justice League, which lasted 5 years.

These days, kids rather watch their poorly animated American cartoons or some random dubbed Anime.
  • ShencotheMC
    Options

B:TAS got 4 season and the continuation one, The New Batman Adventures (the one that aired on the WB) lasted another 2 seasons. Hell, Batman Beyond is really a continuation of them, and that lasted 3 season. So really, from Bruce Timm, that is 9 seasons of different eras of Batman, and on top of Justice League, which lasted 5 years.

These days, kids rather watch their poorly animated American cartoons or some random dubbed Anime.

Did I not just say it seemed like more due to them spreading it out? lol It was 85 episodes, two seasons with like 40 episodes a piece. New Batman Adventures was only 24 episodes bruh. Those weren't all one show though so I mean...they were three different shows bruh. It was all the DCAU so of course it was continuous, it was all the same universe lol. In reality none of them shows lasted more than 3 to 4 seasons. The problem is that now we're getting shorter seasons.
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options
    Seemed like Young Justice was destined for 50 episodes (or near that) in total....probably why the creators did a 5 year time skip for season 2 in the 1st place.