Why do people act like HBK drew money??

Options
Paul Hate.
Paul Hate. Members Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
He never drew money until DX.

People always seem to question Bret's drawing ability but everyone knows he was an overseas attraction.HBK ...is the one who always seems to get a pass especially on the internet.

The company was dying when he was champ..Bret was at least an okay draw and he was huge in Canada,the UK and Germany that kept the doors open when he was the top dog.But he didnt draw that well either.He was just slightly better than okay in the US.

Then they force fed us Deisel and HBK(obviously b/c of politics) and business just went ass up and didnt pick back up til bret came back and austin caught on fire.

HBK is the most overated ? ever.I honestly think the WWF talent at the time was so horrible and his style at the time was fresh water but he didnt really draw a dime until DX.

I'm not saying he wasn't popular but he wasnt't gonna put ? in seats and make people ppv's and merchandise with a ? giggalo gimmick in 96.

I honestly would have bypassed him and focused on HHH and Austin that year instead of that overated junkie.

Comments

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wrestling had been in a slump for years post-steroid scandal (1992 somewhere about). Hogan didn't even pick business back up when he returned. Yoko, Diesel they all failed to draw big in that climate. WCW was suffering too, in fact WCW didn't draw ? until the nWo angle happened in mid-96, Hogan had been in WCW for 2 years by then.

So the argument that HBK wasn't a draw, is nonsense. Drawing compared to who? He was a bigger draw than Diesel that's for damn sure and Diesel had a title reign twice as long as Shawn's. The argument that Shawn can't draw was made up by folks who blame him for WWF's slide into mediocrity but the product was ? , and the business climate was also bad. Then to compare Shawn's ability to draw to Hulk ? Hogan? You kidding me?

Let's be honest, and I ask this question to everyone who makes this argument: Who would you have put the title on?

You just said it yourself Diesel & Bret were no-draws. Undertaker was in & out with injuries so you can't use him. Austin was a nobody until June, HHH was floundering and jobbing so he was nowhere either. They actually gave the belt to Sid, and then he proceeded to not sell out the next few events despite his popularity as well. Bulldog? Owen? Vader is the only other option but he didn't get any momentum til later in 1996.

All this "drawing ability" ? is stupid anyway. As a fan I couldn't care less who draws what.
  • MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HBK's political antics didn't help either burying dudes behind the scenes
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Paul Hate. wrote: »
    I honestly would have bypassed him and focused on HHH and Austin that year instead of that overated junkie.

628x471.jpg
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bret and hbk being overrated and not drawing are some of the dumbest opinions ive ever seen in this subforum
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    I been tellin ? hbk wasn't ?
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Outside of Hogan, Savage, Warrior, Rock, Austin and Cena, who did?
  • kj_da_midwest_mobsta
    kj_da_midwest_mobsta Members Posts: 680 ✭✭✭
    Options
    your crazy he had the females and kids goin crazy like cena does now
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HBK wasnt really a money draw tbh....he had no outside appeal or attraction only people that liked him were white ? wrestling fans
  • lookdude
    lookdude Members Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TheIraq wrote: »

lol at that black kid getting his hug in
  • Anti_matter
    Anti_matter Members Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Late 1994 til early 1996 was a dark time for WWF/E....

1995 WWF alumni.

BABYFACE ROSTER
    Diesel
    Bret Hart
    Lex Luger
    The Undertaker
    Ahmed Johnson
    British Bulldog
    Razor Ramon
    Savio Vega
    Bart Gunn
    Billy Gunn
    Adam Bomb
    1-2-3 Kid
    Bob Holly
    Duke Droese
    Fatu
    Doink
    Fatu
    Sionne
    Aldo Mantoya
    Marty Jannetty
    Barry Horrowitz

HEEL ROSTER
    Sycho Sid
    Shawn Michaels
    Bob Backlund
    Yokozuna
    Owen Hart
    Dean Douglas
    Jeff Jarrett
    Mabel
    Mo
    Jerry Lawler
    Isaac Yankem
    Goldust
    Bam Bam Bigelow
    King Kong Bundy
    Tatanka
    Irwin R. Shiester
    Hakushi
    Kama
    Skip
    Hunter Helmsley
    Waylon Mercy
    Tom Prichard
    Jimmy Del Ray
    Jean Pierre Lafitte
    Henry Godwinn
    Rad Radford
    Steven Dunn
    Timothy Well.
    Buddy Landel
    Crush
    Mantaur

TAG TEAMS
    Million $$ Corp
    Owen & Yokozuna
    Smoking Gunns
    Men on a Mission
    Bodydonnas
    Allied Powers
    Blu Brothers
    Headshrinkers
    123Kid/Bob Holly
    Heavenly Bodies
    Well DunnOTHER
    Lawrence Taylor

MANAGERS
    Ted DiBiase
    Jim Cornette
    Paul Bearer
    Harvey Wippleman
    Mr Fuji
    The Roadie
    Lou Albano
    Afa
    Shinja
    Uncle Zeb

WOMEN
    Sunny
    Alundra Blaze
    Bertha Faye
    Aja Kong
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    I think people see him as an amazing talent not amazing draw. Hogan, Flair, Austin, The Rock trascend the sport. Sting, Macho Man and Warrior were borderline trascending In fact, very few trascend the business.

So basically I think overall in ring ability, charsima, on the mic, and as far as all around HBK will be a GOAT to alot of people n not necesarilly as someone who sold the most nerchandise. Lets not get the perception confused. We are all huge fans of his work as real wrestling fans n not for the business side of ? .
  • Paul Hate.
    Options

^sting,goldberg,jericho??

• Paul Hate.
    Options
    CopperKing wrote: »
    HBK wasnt really a money draw tbh....he had no outside appeal or attraction only people that liked him were white ? wrestling fans

^exactly.He was a product of the WWF hype machine.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Options
    ? really disrespecting the goat hbk, when the entire industry was down, sid vicious and diesel certainly werent doin their thing, disgusting, hbk had to be at least a decent draw and one of the best in ring ever, matter fact, who judges their favorite wrestler on drawing ability?
  • Paul Hate.
    Options
    I dont got time to bring up ppv orders,ticket sales at those same ppv's or ? like that.Just google.Bret was ok to slight above okay as a draw cuz of canada,the uk and germany love him like crazy.

But HBK aint draw ? .Him and deisel almost put them out of business.
  • Paul Hate.
    Options
    I think Cena has somewhat transcended the business..in a minor way.He's a minor crossover celebrity for wrestling.

He's the most popular wrestler in the last 10 years basically no one comes close.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options

they was WCW
  • jono
    Options

Sting drew based on the power of the nWo. Without that lengthy feud he wasn't the man like that. In fact Sting was the face of WCW and got bumped by Hogan, returned and then got bumped again by Goldberg....

Speaking of Goldberg he was indeed a big star for WCW. No doubt about it.

Jericho was never a draw anywhere he performed, highly entertaining but nowhere near HBK as a PPV or live attraction. The fact you even brought him up is askew in my opinion.

There are 5 big time draws in modern wrestling:
    Hogan, Savage, Flair (questionable), Austin & Rock everyone else is at best a moderate draw (HBK, Bret, Nash, Sting, Luger, Angle etc).
  • jono
    Options
    *Cena is more recent and is the biggest draw of recent wrestlers. Jeff Hardy, Brock Lesnar & Randy Orton are also on that list.

Jeff could have surpassed Cena in my opinion if he had decided to stay around.
  • Paul Hate.
    Options
    The ROck and Austin have the biggest WM and PPv's of all time..let's not talk about Merchandise.Austin technically speaking made more dollars for the WWF than Hogan but obviously Hogan was in a different era less tv and ppv's and licsenced merchandise.

Jericho sold merchandise than a ? and he was involved in some very succesful PPv's.

• Paul Hate.
    Options
    Jeff hardy passing Cena?Right.Okay.Cool.