The Official Grantland Discussion Thread (GOAT Sports Coverage + Post Articles/Podcasts in Here)

Options

Comments

• BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bill Simmons had a one on one interview wit Antoine Walker its like 45 minutes but its on youtube it was pretty interesting. Simmons was beggin for him to drop a Ricky Davis story Toine told him he couldnt do it cuz it wasnt NBA related lol both Simmons nd Jalen look WAY more comfortable on Grantland then on ESPN
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    edited March 2013
    Options
    BlackAX410 wrote: »
    Bill Simmons had a one on one interview wit Antoine Walker its like 45 minutes but its on youtube it was pretty interesting. Simmons was beggin for him to drop a Ricky Davis story Toine told him he couldnt do it cuz it wasnt NBA related lol both Simmons nd Jalen look WAY more comfortable on Grantland then on ESPN

Yea, that was a good interview. The B.S. Report is one of the podcasts I'm subscribed to on iTunes. Also the Grantland Network.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the funniest ? on the website is that ? Vitale ?
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088 Members Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @blackax410 I could only imagine what the Ricky Davis story was....
  • BlackAX410
    Options
    @blackax410 I could only imagine what the Ricky Davis story was....

lol u hear so much ? about Ricky dat was my guy in Boston tho ima just say it had sumthin to do wit weed nd partying just a wild guess. he had a whole bunch of random ? tied to him people said he was crazy as ? lol someone from cleveland told me on twitter he tried to run him ova outside a barber shop then someone else said he used to smoke newports in da locker room at halftime when he was on da cavs
  • Kame
    Kame Members Posts: 24,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • DaBull
    DaBull Members Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    wouldnt call it GOAT coverage. Zach Lowe is a beast and Simmons is cool when he not hatin or writing 24, 000 words. Barwell and that Asian cat are wack tho
  • almighty breeze
    almighty breeze Members Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the dude Rembert they keep gassing is overrated
    Lowe is great
    the dude who was doin movie reviews all last summer needs to find a ? and fill it. His articles annoyed me
    Jay Caspian Kang is wack as ?
    Klosterman needs some more material
  • Kame
    Options
    Rembert's ? is funny to me tbh... I don't need serious Lowe articles all the time
  • infamous114
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Rembert brought us the Chappelle Show skit tournament...that was GOAT.
  • PaperPlaneJane
    PaperPlaneJane Members Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rembert brought us the Chappelle Show skit tournament...that was GOAT.

The one he did on Andrew Bynum's hair had me dyin.
  • PaperPlaneJane
    PaperPlaneJane Members Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Really good podcast....
    Bill Simmons is joined by ESPN The Magazine's Don Van Natta Jr. to talk about his feature on Roger Goodell's first few years as commissioner of the NFL.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/grantland/player?id=9019925
  • bignorm
    bignorm Members Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol at Luke Walton scoring 20 on a team being worse than Bean Bryant scoring 81
  • almighty breeze
    almighty breeze Members Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kame wrote: »
    Rembert's ? is funny to me tbh... I don't need serious Lowe articles all the time

he not wack at all. on the overall he's overrated tho. i really enjoyed his article on the Falcons NFC championship game and the Chappelle's show tournament
  • Co_Town_Michael
    Co_Town_Michael Members Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rembert >>>>>
    Realist ? alive.
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The Most Hated College Basketball Players of the Last 30 Years
    A tournament to determine the most despised in recent NCAA hoops history

By Rafe Bartholomew on March 11, 2013

"name someone you hate."

When I try to answer this, the first person who comes to mind is not the guy who pulled a box cutter and took $7 off me in eighth grade, or the high school bully who forced me to sing the Saved by the Bell theme song under threat of being rolled down 96th Street in a garbage can. It's Wojo.

Yes, Wojo. Hardcourt-slapping, charge-drawing, pass-and-cut-awaying Steve Wojciechowski, the honorable-mention All-American who played point guard for Duke from 1994 to 1998. I'm probably not alone in feeling this way — the Washington Times called him "the most reviled 6.6-point scorer in NCAA basketball history." But if I took a moment to think about it, I could probably come up with more reasonable people to hate. No, not Saul Smith or Casey Jacobsen or Toby Bailey (well, maybe them), but someone more worthy of such powerful and raw emotion. In the moment, however, few things make my blood boil like some ACC pretty boy or deadeye shooter or egregious flopper or hard-nosed defender — or some unholy amalgamation of all these qualities.

Our hatred of college basketball players may be shallow, but damn is it salient. So, with the NCAA tournament beginning next week, Grantland has decided to kick-start March Madness by celebrating the athletes who make us maddest. Behold, a bracket to determine the most hated college basketball player of the last 30 years.

grant_bracket_hatedplayersRd1.jpg

With he 32-player competition has four regions — one each for players from the 1980s, 1990s, and 21st century, and another for Duke Blue Devils. Before Coach K and the Cameron Crazies get too worked up about being singled out, let me explain the decision to turn part of this bracket into a mini-tournament of Duke hate. For starters, imagine the alternative. Think of all the Dukies who didn't make the cut: Carlos ? , Kyle Singler, Trajan Langdon, Brian Zoubek, Ryan Kelly, the Brothers Plumlee, Chris Collins, Thomas Hill, Alaa Abdelnaby, and many, many more. If Duke weren't confined to its own quadrant, half the athletes in the competition might be Blue Devils. And if they were peppered throughout all the regions, an all-Duke Final Four wouldn't just be a possibility — it would be a likelihood. Sure, a lot of people hate Joakim Noah, Eric Montross, and Derrick Coleman, but when it's nut-cutting time would a majority of sports fans choose them over J.J. Redick, Christian Laettner, and Danny Ferry?

Besides, isn't being hated by the rest of America essential to the experience of supporting Duke? Blue Devil fans know people will revel in the upsets to Lehigh and the lackluster professional careers of Cherokee Parks and Chris Carrawell and William Avery. They know people will cry conspiracy every time the refs give Duke a questionable call. They know people will feel like bashing their heads into their flat-screens every time Clark Kellogg singles out an "impressive young man" on Coach K's roster.

Of course, the Duke alumni and coaches and players must know that the real reason they are hated is because they are so damn good. And for all of us college basketball fans who are so damn stubborn, hating Duke is the most comfortable and covert way to appreciate the program's team success and the individual brilliance of guys like Elton Brand, Jay Williams, and Grant Hill.

So yeah, respect to Duke for all the success, but Laettner should have been tossed from the perfect game for stomping that dude from Kentucky, and his buzzer-beater was lucky. And Thomas Hill — come on, man, why are you crying?

With the rest of the bracket, we'd like to explore the different levels and flavors of college basketball hatred. What's worse? The antipathy for Patrick Ewing, whose dominance at Georgetown seemed to scare Big East crowds into vile and blatant racist taunts? The way Pac-10 students cheered "Cher-yl! Cher-yl!" to remind Reggie Miller of his sister, who back then was by far the more accomplished player? Jalen Rose, Larry Johnson, and Allen Iverson represented a sea change in basketball culture. For that, they're beloved by many but perhaps despised by more. There's not much mystery to what turned us off about Bill Curley and Eric Montross — they were white stiffs with terrible haircuts. And does anyone bring it all together in one package better than Tyler Hansbrough? ? T had it all — accolades galore, 4,000 percent effort, and those bugged-out, demonstrative, lunatic eyes. Plus, during an era in which few players with serious NBA futures spend more than two years in school, it felt like Hansbrough never left. You could hate him year after year after year.

So who wins? Well, Christian Laettner wins. But who makes things interesting before that foregone conclusion is up to you. Should you vote for a player who was hated in his time over a guy who just ? you off? Your call. And honestly, if you never saw Patrick Ewing play at Georgetown and you just want to vote him into the Final Four because he traveled every time he made his hop-skip-jump move across the lane or because he blew the layup that cost the Knicks the 1995 Eastern Conference semifinals, well, we can't stop you. Just rage out all over this bracket and help us crown the most hated college basketball player of the last three decades.

• BlackAX410
    Options
    Duke list aint valid without Jay Williams on there he used to give it to Maryland back in da day lls
  • DaBull
    DaBull Members Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Duke list aint valid without Jay Williams on there he used to give it to Maryland back in da day lls

word, remember that 10 point comeback in 90 seconds...SMH

• Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options

outside of maybe maryland...Jay Williams is the furthest thing from a "most-hated" duke player. Duhon was much more despised than Williams. Williams wasn't even a typical duke player.
  • Kame
    Options
    Cosign singling out Duke
  • infamous114
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Lol Duke has their own region of players.
  • BDBIID
    BDBIID Members Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Even though he was trash I hated Zoubek.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That Marbury Kobe write up was ? hilarious
  • dc's teflondon
    dc's teflondon Members Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? tyler hansbourough
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options

Nah I remember when JJ was on Duke and they played at Maryland one year they made it known that somehow Maryland students had gotten JJ's cell phone number and had been calling him all week long and also kicked some fans out for starting a chant about his sister being a ? ...Maryland fans HATED JJ Reddick...that ? was personal.