Best Male R&B Group Of The 90's?

Options
2»

Comments

• Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jodeci
    I'd go which ith Boyz II Men. I can see why people would say Jodeci, but I think Boyz II Men harmonized better and they were a better group as in all of them had a role. Jodeci dropped half their group, became K-Ci and Jo Jo and there wasn't are real big difference in the quality of the music.

No love for Shai though? They were one of my favorites.

To me I thought Devante's production is what kinda set Jodeci apart from other groups.

I wasn't feeling the Hailey brothers (K-Ci and JoJo) independent work their sound was totally different from the Jodeci sound.

Devante's production and Dalvin's song writing were underrated as heck due to K-Ci and JoJo's vocals.
  • _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jodeci
    I'd go which ith Boyz II Men. I can see why people would say Jodeci, but I think Boyz II Men harmonized better and they were a better group as in all of them had a role. Jodeci dropped half their group, became K-Ci and Jo Jo and there wasn't are real big difference in the quality of the music.

To me I thought Devante's production is what kinda set Jodeci apart from other groups.

I wasn't feeling the Hailey brothers (K-Ci and JoJo) independent work their sound was totally different from the Jodeci sound.

Devante's production and Dalvin's song writing were underrated as heck due to K-Ci and JoJo's vocals.

they were killing hooks tho...

Kc and JoJo without Devante was ....

39-Jay-Z-Ehhh.gif
  • white715
    white715 Members Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jodeci
    _Menace_ wrote: »
    Kc and Jo had the best hooks behind NATE THE GREAT

http://youtu.be/OuACz0pKCmE
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tony Toni Tone
    TTT overall musically.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Boyz II Men
    Boyz II Men

• spit_fiya
    spit_fiya Members Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    H-Town
    Tumble and roll wit meee toniiiight...
  • mrjun18
    mrjun18 Members Posts: 207
    Options
    Mint Condition
    Mint Condition >TTT > Jodeci >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>the rest
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jodeci

word up @louisianacrude, what set Jodeci apart is DEVANTE SWAAANG (c) Ki-c, Devante is a musical genius, a dope ass song writer and K-ci ol soul vocals with Delvin pen game and Jo-Jo smooth crooning, mayne it's not even a contest.... JODECI was that Band in the 90's who sound define a decade........
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Jodeci
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    TTT overall musically.

I got love for Tony Toni Tone that are great musicians, artist and have classic albums also and are Soul/Bay Area musical legends, we played the Tones also, a great Soul Group i still play Sons of Soul, House of Music and Revival great albums and classic, so soulful, but Jodeci had a ? movement.....

you seen no kids being named Raphel or Dewayne (no disrespect to Timothy Riley), but i seen kids being name Devante, Dalvin in the 90's because of Jodeci............

but the older i get the more i play the Tones,

Top Notch - Tony Toni Tone
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvqzRNgRtfI
  • saracenwire
    saracenwire Members Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jodeci
    How is Dru Hill not in this poll. They were way to successful to be an other
  • Knock_Twice
    Knock_Twice Members Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mint Condition
    Just saw that Mint Condition Unsung...ngas made me a fan again...

That someone to love - I want that ? played at my wedding lol..
  • Knock_Twice
    Options
    Mint Condition
    Mint Condition - So Fine (the original) don't like the remix...? the live version is killing
  • real_hh_rep
    real_hh_rep Members Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Tony Toni Tone
    Tony!Toni!Tone!!!!!!

They had that hip-hop/soul ? on lock. 3 amazing albums released by them put into shade anything Mind Condition or Jodeci recorded. They never achieved same level of success, but impact and contribution to black music can't be denied. As far as vocals go, I definitely prefer Saadiq's or Dwayne's subtle and restraint style over KCI's overexpressive vocal manner.
  • mrjun18
    mrjun18 Members Posts: 207
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Mint Condition
    each of my three favs (mint, ttt and jodeci) had a weakness).

jodeci: couldnt make uptempos to save thier lifes (let go through the emotions and their very first single where they were wearing the fireman outfit were "meh"), and despite DOAM and FML being very popular album, the 2nd half of the albums were that good sounding.

ttt: they never had a strong singer like like k-ci (jodeci), lil g (silk), stokley (mint), wanya (boyz), mark middleton (blkstreet) etc. dont get me wrong, raphael and dwayne could sing, but they werent powerhouse vocal front men like the other groups had.

mint: uptempo singles were average and they were always in the shadows of other artists, mainly ttt. also they played it very safe, and never got over that ? that they should have.

but with these said though mint condition is my favorite and they outlasted everyone and they win longevity (along with boyz ii men), ttt might be the best overall group when discussing just the 90s. besides not having a strong vocalist like other groups, they did everything else well. they had #1 hits/numerous top 10 rnb/pop hits all their albums sold/no flops, they could make uptempo/mids AND ballads, they wrote a lot and produced most of their own ? , could play live, had really good albums especially 'sons of soul' and 'house of music', had their own "style"/"image", memorable songs with replay value til this day, etc. they were very versatile. probably the most versatile male rnb group of the 90s. thats why i said they are probably the best overall. its a shame raphael and dwayne had a falling out and broke up the group in 1997. smh.

but mint is still my favorite. though mint condition werent as big as boyz ii men jodeci, they still had moderate success and were able to keep their career going and consistently dropped great music despite the dozens and dozens of other groups/competition in the 90s. mint was able to make consistent albums (every 2-3 years,..and yes the albums were that good, listen to them if you havent or check out reviews like on amazon or allmusic.com), had at least a good 1-2 hits on each album, very well written ballads (breaking my heart, if you love me, forever in your eyes, what kind of man etc), they wrote and produced just about ALL their songs on their albums in the 1990s (even though they were signed to jimmy jam and terry lewis), easily the best live rnb band, they could play ANYTHING (you name it: rnb, jazz, rock etc.), their interludes were by far better than any other 90s male rnb group. and so on. this is what sets them apart from the rest and makes them my favorite male rnb group/band of the 90s. and they are still here. mint and boyz ii men outlasted them all (mint is 20+ years in the game and about 8 albums deep). but most importantly, mint condition are one of the few groups that kept themselves together, never had crazy drama, break ups (besides keri leaving to marry toni braxton, but he still cool with them), replaced members with new members, or any of that craziness that you usually see. they still looking good and rocking it out. unlike some former artists that are struggling, on ? , look like their aged 90 years, or some other ? .

overall these are my 3 favs from the 90s: mint, then ttt then jodeci.
  • Knock_Twice
    Options
    Mint Condition
    And to think the lead singer for Mint Condition didn't want to lead or knew he had the voice lol...

Them ngas got too many hits...
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Boyz II Men
    them Boyz II Men cats is bad some bad ? drop a spanish disc with they hits and still sound good in spanish
  • detcatinva
    detcatinva Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jodeci
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po6SWjtAoWQ

this is devante son on the piano. talent runs in the family