wCw from 90-99 >>>>>>> WWF

Options
RawAce
RawAce Members Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
I honestly feel like wCw was the better company for most of the 90's.
They had better talent and let the talent work the styles that best suited them unlike WWF who has always looked for characters and made them perform within the restrictions of the gimmick.

wCw had the hearts of rasslin fans. WWF had the minds of children.
wCw did everything rasslin fans wanted. The had technical guys, powerhouse guys, and great tag teams. They brought in talent from Japan and Mexico and let them shine working the way they should. When things turned to furniture wrestling, wCw adapted and experimented with a ? division. wCw always had great ideas for PPV's.
Starcade, Bash at the Beach, WarGames. You could argue that the Elimination Chamber was fathered by the War Games match.

Anything you could ask for as a rasslin fan, wCw tried to do it.
I feel thats the problem. They tried to do everything. They overdid everything.
Things got outta hand with booking,contracts,budgets and whatever else. Thats all financial biz. I dont think of wCw and think
"the company that couldnt handle its money."
When I think of wCw I think
"wCw: Where the Big Boys Play"

Comments

• waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    BUNKHOUSE BRAWL, THE CROCKETT CUP, STARRCADE, GREAT AMERICAN BASH......

RIC FLAIR, FOUR HORSEMEN, TERRY FUNK, GREAT MUTA, ROCK N ROLL EXPRESS, MIDNIGHT EXPRESS, DUSTY RHODES, i can go on dont get me strated NWA/WCW>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>WWF.

i used to be a big wwf fan as a kid, watching wrestlmania 1 live at the mall before it was a pay per view, it was show on satellite.. even though i was watching WWF, AWA, NWA, UWF because i was a wrestling fan but WWF was geared more to the kids so i watched it closely, once i got to 5th grade it was a wrap, ? HULKAMAINA some of my classmates was becoming ROAD WARRIORS, STING, ULTIMATE WARRIOR, BRITISH BULLDOGS, HART FOUNDATION, GREAT MUTA, TERRY FUNK, RIC FLAIR, FOUR HORSEMEN FANS, we made the swtich from WWF to NWA because WWF was for the kids.....

I always hated WWF gimmicks, the Doinks, KO KO B WARES turning Terry Taylor to the Red Rooster, how in the ? you turn one of the most feared, violent tag teams The Sheepherders to the ? BUSHWACKERS...

NWA had better wrestlers, matches and the it was more realistic, you can also watch great wrestling
  • MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    WCW was the ? I hated Time Warner for folding up on Rasslin' , WCW then is better than WWE now then and forever in my eyes
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    At certain times I will agree. WCW main event scene was f'n good in the early 90s while Vince was still doing the Hogan thing, it was different and the style was more athletic. Of course they changed the game in the mid-90s with the NWO and the cruiserweights but they didn't really invent this stuff as much as they popularized it.
    Oddly enough WCW's main event scene started slipping when the NWO came about, because it became all about Hogan vs _______ just like WWF was just a few years before and like WCW had been up until that point.

However, let's not act like WCW didn't have "electric cage" matches, and matches with guys (Abdullah The Butcher) being "electrocuted" in the middle of the ring. Garbage like that balances it out.

And why is WCW getting credit for the Horsemen? The Horsemen was a Crockett thing, that's pre-WCW. The Horsemen in WCW was still good but it wasn't the original guys every body loved. The epic Dusty/Horsemen feud was under the Crockett banner, not WCW.

We also gonna forget the Zombie, The Shockmaster, The Renegade (fake-ass Ultimate Warrior), how WCW completely misused Jake Roberts, Vinny Vegas (Kevin Nash) and all the other stupid ass gimmicks they had too? Glacier, Mortis (fake-ass Kane), Hugh Morris, etc....

I like some of WCW's stuff. Its awesome to look back on but they had a lot of trash too. The War Games was a good idea but I wasn't a fan of the multiple ring gimmick matches but I do miss having an alternative product to turn to when the 'E is on some ? .

• RawAce
    Options
    Slots JCP stuff was used in wCw. That's a given. All I'm sayin is that wCw had the better rasslin and did more to plz the fans than WWF did.

WWF looked like cartoons come to life for most of the 90's while wCw put on great rasslin shows. Sure, we had Mortis but guess what? The innovator of offense could wrestle m. Issac Yankem DDS could not wrestle. wCw had brutes like Ice Train and Scott Norton who could throw down. WWF had ? Mark Henry who jus recently learned to wrestle after over a decade in the business.
  • lookdude
    lookdude Members Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    WCW was the ? ; that's the first wrestling company i ever watched, but as soon as a got a glimpse of WWF in 1999 it was over!
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    At certain times I will agree. WCW main event scene was f'n good in the early 90s while Vince was still doing the Hogan thing, it was different and the style was more athletic. Of course they changed the game in the mid-90s with the NWO and the cruiserweights but they didn't really invent this stuff as much as they popularized it.
    Oddly enough WCW's main event scene started slipping when the NWO came about, because it became all about Hogan vs _______ just like WWF was just a few years before and like WCW had been up until that point.

However, let's not act like WCW didn't have "electric cage" matches, and matches with guys (Abdullah The Butcher) being "electrocuted" in the middle of the ring. Garbage like that balances it out.

And why is WCW getting credit for the Horsemen? The Horsemen was a Crockett thing, that's pre-WCW. The Horsemen in WCW was still good but it wasn't the original guys every body loved. The epic Dusty/Horsemen feud was under the Crockett banner, not WCW.

We also gonna forget the Zombie, The Shockmaster, The Renegade (fake-ass Ultimate Warrior), how WCW completely misused Jake Roberts, Vinny Vegas (Kevin Nash) and all the other stupid ass gimmicks they had too? Glacier, Mortis (fake-ass Kane), Hugh Morris, etc....

I like some of WCW's stuff. Its awesome to look back on but they had a lot of trash too. The War Games was a good idea but I wasn't a fan of the multiple ring gimmick matches but I do miss having an alternative product to turn to when the 'E is on some ? .

@Jono NWA Mid-Atlantic is where the horsemen strarted, NWA Mid-Atlantic (Remember NWA had different regions in the United States) is WCW, the first name was MACW which was owned by The Great Jim Crockett then he changed the name to NWA MID-ATLANTIC because they was apart of the NWA Territories but when Dusty Rhodes ? up Jim Crockett money they was sold to Ted Turner who changed the name to WCW, but they still wrestled for NWA and WCW World title and Tag Tem titles was NWA belts, but WCW withdrawed from NWA in 1993
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah, the only years I though WCW was better than WWF were 1995 and 1996

WCW in 1999 :-&
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    a lot of people feel this way. its like dc vs marvel. but i could never get into wcw. maybe seeing it live would've convinced me. I just always saw it as a cheap production on tv.
  • TheIraq
    TheIraq Members Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    But Shawn Michaels wasn't a draw lmao.........................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCbh37SMTmQ

• TheIraq
    edited March 2013
    Options
    WCW like 95 to like 97 or 98 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> WWF........... Only thing that made WCW relevant in 98 was the Goldberg thing..... Stone Cold killed WCW after we got the title at Wrestlemania....... NWO was stale in 98...................
  • TheIraq
    Options
    LMAO I remember watching WCW in late 97 just to see Disco Inferno and Alex Wright dance NH.............................
  • TheIraq
    Options
    After that Ric Flair september PPV when his face was smashed into the gating with Curt Henning joining the NWO in 97....... That ? got real wack real soon after that...................
  • TRILLip Brooks
    Options
    TheIraq wrote: »
    Only thing that made WCW relevant in 98 was the Goldberg thing

What no love for.....

tumblr_m5r15neVyH1rn5zzvo1_400.jpg

lol
  • TRILLip Brooks
    Options
    TheIraq wrote: »
    WCW like 95 to like 97 or 98 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> WWF........... Only thing that made WCW relevant in 98 was the Goldberg thing..... Stone Cold killed WCW after we got the title at Wrestlemania....... NWO was stale in 98...................

The second half of 97 for WWF was great and better than anything going on in WCW
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    edited March 2013
    Options
    WWF > WCW
    1990-91
    WCW >>>> WWF
    1992-94
    WWF > WCW
    1995 but both were garbage
    WCW >>>>> WWF
    WCW >=< WWF
    1997-98* (most of) tied
    WWF>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>WCW

*Note by the Fall of 98 WWF had actually surpassed WCW

KingBiz would never lie to you guys.
  • RawAce
    Options
    story lines and jumbo trons, nah, that is not what this is about

I'm talkin about rasslin

wCw gets such a bad rap for everything else to the point where people forget how good the rasslin was. wCw was loaded wit good rasslers. Even the mid and bottom guys ? on WWF.
    Honestly, Scott norton, prince ieukea, dean malenko, Alex wright, raven's flock >>>>>>>> gillberg, Scotty 2 hotty, mideon, Bart gunn , droz, chainz , tatanka, repo man
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    i started watchin wcw first in 98 but based on my research looking back over the years "They had better talent and let the talent work the styles that best suited them" thats basically the cruiserweights, and maybe a few more guys. for as much swag as he had, ion think alex wright wanted to be a dancin ass ? , wcw had some REALLY ridiculous things as well and made horrible decisions on top of that. only things in wcw that would put it over wwf was the cruiserweights sting and rick flair, maybe goldberg but in hindsight he wasnt that good, wcw in the 90's had hogan, savage, hall and nash, 4 things that were already better earlier in the 90's with wwf, yes i really just kinda complemented hogan and that's rare. wcw may have had a slight edge in in ring action, but wwe had hbk and bret hart, i mean u cant be far behind when u have them.
  • RawAce
    Options
    wCw Saturday Night/worldwide rasslin>>>>>>>> WWF Shotgun Saturday Night squash matches mixed in wit Brooklyn brawler
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    talm bout that show ernest the cat miller always used to main event? lol
  • RawAce
    Options
    The Ernest miller days were later. WCw Saturday featured excellent rasslin in the mid 90's. talkin bout the days it was filmed in Orlando .
  • RawAce
    Options
    Honestly
    How much rasslin was really goin on in WWF in the early to mid 90's? Not much. ? was mostly stomp punches, wind up punches, drop kicks , Irish whips, ten count punches and soft landing finishers from the likes of men dressed as clowns , dentists, plummets, sailors, gobble gookers and other outlandish things.

• Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    i know, not long after shotgun came about, those were the types of main events happening on wcw sat. night as well
  • RawAce
    Options
    And on top of that , we had Vince's horrible commentary overreacting to these basic ass moves like its 1963

"Oh my ? . I think savio vega is goin for a head lock"

"Holy smokes. Spark plug holly with an amazing scoop slam on doink the clown"