Was Edge Overrated?

Options
Idiopathic Joker
Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
I was having this conversation with a friend of mine. I don't believe Edge deserves to be in the hall of fame so soon. Was he on hbk, undertaker, hhh, rock, scsa's level? No. Then again not too many are. In my opinion he was just a high level mid card wrestler who was overrated. Just my opinion. What y'all think?

Comments

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Edge is vastly overrated. He's a great B villain but he didn't deserve all the crazy pushes he got nor did he deserves to be in the HOF the next year after he retired but the 'E likes to keep tabs on guys like him so I'm not surprised he was put in so soon.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i think he just got in the hall of fame to try to keep him around, but eventually he was gon get in there regardless, ion think he overrated, i think he a second tier superstar like rey, eddie, hhh(now this guy is overrated) etc, i cant remember anyone ever puttin him on the level of first tier guys like scsa, rock, hbk, or taker, edge was hugely popular, ion think he needed the strap over 10 times but the in ring ability was there, and he was a really good heel
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Options
    It seemed like the WWE was pushing Edge too much
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Edge was triple h lite and many people feel Trips is overrated but the thing is everyone is overrated when you compare them to The Rock or Hogan, but honestly compared to dudes in his singles era... You cant tell me he wasnt one of the best in his peer group. Its almost by default. Also its the WWE HOF... Its not a real legit HOF yet but with the introduction of Bruno N Backlund its becoming a little more legit but Drew Careys in it so why not Edge?

/rant
  • Serious Juice Mayne
    Serious Juice Mayne Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Edge's solo push started in 2001, he was pegged as the "face of smackdown" in 2002. He got hurt and was brought back and pushed again as the top face versus Evolution. When that failed he turned heel and then he didn't generate enough heat by himself so they teamed him up with Lita and began the Matt Hardy thing. That's about 3-4 years of solid pushing. Without Matt & Lita he doesn't make it to the main event for real. He shined once he was there though, I will say that.

Most guys would have been buried for failing that much.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Options
    KingGivBiz wrote: »
    Edge was triple h lite and many people feel Trips is overrated but the thing is everyone is overrated when you compare them to The Rock or Hogan, but honestly compared to dudes in his singles era... You cant tell me he wasnt one of the best in his peer group. Its almost by default. Also its the WWE HOF... Its not a real legit HOF yet but with the introduction of Bruno N Backlund its becoming a little more legit but Drew Careys in it so why not Edge?

/rant

There is absolutely no comparison between edge and hhh. HHH is legitimately a legend up there with Hogan, SCSA, and HBK.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    edited March 2013
    Options
    hell no, edge>>>hhh, at least in ring, hhh aint in the same sentence as scsa and hbk thats blasphemy, and maybe they pushed edge a LIL too much but he always produced in the ring, at least they were tryna make new stars(compared to now), and it ultimately paid off
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options

/rant

There is absolutely no comparison between edge and hhh. HHH is legitimately a legend up there with Hogan, SCSA, and HBK.

You're wrong. Like Cena, Triple h and Edge got way too many title reign imo albeit Edges was more of the transitional variety. Plus I called Edge "HHH-lite or a Poor Mans trips" basically showing Triple h more respect, but to say i can't even say that ... meh a force. You still my bro tho.
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Options
    How am I the only one who sees that hhh is one of the greatest of all time? His in ring intensity, telling stories with his matches, very underrated skill set, all of that is only matched by scsa and hbk
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    jono wrote: »

Edge's solo push started in 2001, he was pegged as the "face of smackdown" in 2002. He got hurt and was brought back and pushed again as the top face versus Evolution. When that failed he turned heel and then he didn't generate enough heat by himself so they teamed him up with Lita and began the Matt Hardy thing. That's about 3-4 years of solid pushing. Without Matt & Lita he doesn't make it to the main event for real. He shined once he was there though, I will say that.

Most guys would have been buried for failing that much.

Edge was one of my favorite single wrestlers in 2003. His moveset at the time were GOAT, Edgecator, Edgecution, Edge-O-Matic and had a GOAT singles match @ WWE UK rebellion vs Brock Lesnar that i honestly thought he was gonna beat Lesnar for that title.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiV7RKk_dQI
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Options

/rant

You're wrong. Like Cena, Triple h and Edge got way too many title reign imo albeit Edges was more of the transitional variety. Plus I called Edge "HHH-lite or a Poor Mans trips" basically showing Triple h more respect, but to say i can't even say that ... meh a force. You still my bro tho.

Triple H got too many title reigns? In case you forgot, ten years ago, triple h was helping to make future wwe superstars when the world heavyweight championship was on raw. Batista, Randy Orton, not to mention he brought back Hogans and undertaker careers and legitimized Kurt Angle by putting him over.
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    and i think it just seems like he got crazy pushes cuz he was missing time wit injuries, if he wasnt already popular ion think he woulda got them pushes
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    Btw, Edge invented the F5 (and some other moves) at a house show when he did it on Shelton Benjamin and allowed other superstars who were bigger than hm to use it such as Sean o haire and finally Brock Lesnar. So he did alot of ? for this industry.

I know people gonna say its a TKO that marc mero does, but the way Brock does it (fireman carry) now Edge was the original as far as I know.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Options
    Btw, Edge invented the F5 (and some other moves) at a house show when he did it on Shelton Benjamin and allowed other superstars who were bigger than hm to use it such as Sean o haire and finally Brock Lesnar. So he did alot of ? for this industry.

I know people gonna say its a TKO that marc mero does, but the way Brock does it (fireman carry) now Edge was the original as far as I know.

I remember reading about that. I just never got edge spearing bigger guys like big show or Batista
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    edited March 2013
    Options

/rant

Triple H got too many title reigns? In case you forgot, ten years ago, triple h was helping to make future wwe superstars when the world heavyweight championship was on raw. Batista, Randy Orton, not to mention he brought back Hogans and undertaker careers and legitimized Kurt Angle by putting him over.

hhh is a wwe hof talent but hhh had the strap at least 5 times too many, i could never put him on the same tier as the scsa's, hitman's, hbk's, taker's, sting's, etc, at best id have him as a leader of the second tier, yes he put a few people over, but thats what ur supposed to do, how can he bring back 2 careers that were still much bigger than his? and angle was already legit and a better in ring performer than hhh, hhh is a good storyteller but an even better politician, he wouldnt be where he is w/o ? steph, hhh=shane douglas with luck, besides, IF hhh was ever a number one, it was back in 99-2000, other than that id also call a lot of his reigns transitional
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Options

/rant

hhh is a wwe hof talent but hhh had the strap at least 5 times too many, i could never put him on the same tier as the scsa's, hitman's, hbk's, taker's, sting's, etc, at best id have him as a leader of the second tier, yes he put a few people over, but thats what ur supposed to do, how can he bring back 2 careers that were still much bigger than his? and angle was already legit and a better in ring performer than hhh, hhh is a good storyteller but an even better politician, he wouldnt be where he is w/o ? steph, hhh=shane douglas with luck

That's just plain hate. Hogan and Undertaker were dead in 2002, that triangle beef with triple h for the undisputed title brought their careers back. If not for the WWE, triple h would be the man in TNA
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options

I remember reading about that. I just never got edge spearing bigger guys like big show or Batista

Actually here is the story.
    Edge was doing the "Edgorcism" and Brock thought it was cool and took it from Edge since Edge was onnly doing it on guys smaller than him basically limiting him.

Sean O haire supposedly got fro Stasiak back in WCW 2000 days, and tried to incorporate it in his singles run in WWE, but they sent him back to OVW, sand brought Brock up into the scene, making Brock the owner of that move, then once Brock left they were letting Matt Morgan have it, but then he was let go.

But Edge may not have actually "invented" it but just the first guy in the WWF to use it period the way it was used.
    probably invented in Japan like most wrestling moves (like Shane Helm's vertebreaker)

Still a cool story tho.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options

/rant

hhh is a wwe hof talent but hhh had the strap at least 5 times too many, i could never put him on the same tier as the scsa's, hitman's, hbk's, taker's, sting's, etc, at best id have him as a leader of the second tier, yes he put a few people over, but thats what ur supposed to do, how can he bring back 2 careers that were still much bigger than his? and angle was already legit and a better in ring performer than hhh, hhh is a good storyteller but an even better politician, he wouldnt be where he is w/o ? steph, hhh=shane douglas with luck

That's just plain hate. Hogan and Undertaker were dead in 2002, that triangle beef with triple h for the undisputed title brought their careers back. If not for the WWE, triple h would be the man in TNA

how's it hate? hhh brought back undertaker?! HOGAN?! really?
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    This has turned into the great Peezy vs Joker debate of 2013.. great feud.
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Vastly overrated I remember wondering why the WWE was pushing him so much during his heyday if that's what you want to call it.

Some may say I'm talking out of my ass but I'm a just give my opinion.

Other than that feud with Matt Hardy that he did with Lita and his allegiance to Christian there is nothing special about his career.

Dude wasn't even all that great in the ring I don't know where yall getting that from.

He was agile for a larger guy I give him that but that was it.

Cats acting like Edge was overly technical or a high flyer.

I always felt like he was a glorified upper mid card guy that got pushed into the title scene due to the talent being a little thin post Attitude Era.

I'd go so far to say that the Miz was a better champion than Edge at least the Miz had solid charisma.

Edge was boring and said the same ish over and over again as a heel.

In this day in age in wrestling he'd be equal to Bobby Roode on the mic.

It's sad that he's in the hall of fame and other guys like Rick Rude, Jake "The Snake" Roberts, and Macho Man Randy Savage aren't in the hall of fame.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Options

/rant

how's it hate? hhh brought back undertaker?! HOGAN?! really?

After Hogans match with rock at Wrestlemania 18, Hogan was a gimmick until he feuded with hhh for the undisputed title, which legitimized Hogans career again as a legitimate singles wrestler.

• Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    lol i aint tryna fued with him i just disagree