Was Edge Overrated?

Options

Comments

• Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KingGivBiz wrote: »
    Edge was triple h lite and many people feel Trips is overrated but the thing is everyone is overrated when you compare them to The Rock or Hogan, but honestly compared to dudes in his singles era... You cant tell me he wasnt one of the best in his peer group. Its almost by default. Also its the WWE HOF... Its not a real legit HOF yet but with the introduction of Bruno N Backlund its becoming a little more legit but Drew Careys in it so why not Edge?

/rant

There is absolutely no comparison between edge and hhh. HHH is legitimately a legend up there with Hogan, SCSA, and HBK.

You're wrong. Like Cena, Triple h and Edge got way too many title reign imo albeit Edges was more of the transitional variety. Plus I called Edge "HHH-lite or a Poor Mans trips" basically showing Triple h more respect, but to say i can't even say that ... meh a force. You still my bro tho.

Triple H got too many title reigns? In case you forgot, ten years ago, triple h was helping to make future wwe superstars when the world heavyweight championship was on raw. Batista, Randy Orton, not to mention he brought back Hogans and undertaker careers and legitimized Kurt Angle by putting him over.

hhh is a wwe hof talent but hhh had the strap at least 5 times too many, i could never put him on the same tier as the scsa's, hitman's, hbk's, taker's, sting's, etc, at best id have him as a leader of the second tier, yes he put a few people over, but thats what ur supposed to do, how can he bring back 2 careers that were still much bigger than his? and angle was already legit and a better in ring performer than hhh, hhh is a good storyteller but an even better politician, he wouldnt be where he is w/o ? steph, hhh=shane douglas with luck

That's just plain hate. Hogan and Undertaker were dead in 2002, that triangle beef with triple h for the undisputed title brought their careers back. If not for the WWE, triple h would be the man in TNA

how's it hate? hhh brought back undertaker?! HOGAN?! really?

After Hogans match with rock at Wrestlemania 18, Hogan was a gimmick until he feuded with hhh for the undisputed title, which legitimized Hogans career again as a legitimate singles wrestler.

i look at that as legitimizing hhh
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Edge was triple h lite and many people feel Trips is overrated but the thing is everyone is overrated when you compare them to The Rock or Hogan, but honestly compared to dudes in his singles era... You cant tell me he wasnt one of the best in his peer group. Its almost by default. Also its the WWE HOF... Its not a real legit HOF yet but with the introduction of Bruno N Backlund its becoming a little more legit but Drew Careys in it so why not Edge?

/rant

There is absolutely no comparison between edge and hhh. HHH is legitimately a legend up there with Hogan, SCSA, and HBK.

You're wrong. Like Cena, Triple h and Edge got way too many title reign imo albeit Edges was more of the transitional variety. Plus I called Edge "HHH-lite or a Poor Mans trips" basically showing Triple h more respect, but to say i can't even say that ... meh a force. You still my bro tho.

Triple H got too many title reigns? In case you forgot, ten years ago, triple h was helping to make future wwe superstars when the world heavyweight championship was on raw. Batista, Randy Orton, not to mention he brought back Hogans and undertaker careers and legitimized Kurt Angle by putting him over.

hhh is a wwe hof talent but hhh had the strap at least 5 times too many, i could never put him on the same tier as the scsa's, hitman's, hbk's, taker's, sting's, etc, at best id have him as a leader of the second tier, yes he put a few people over, but thats what ur supposed to do, how can he bring back 2 careers that were still much bigger than his? and angle was already legit and a better in ring performer than hhh, hhh is a good storyteller but an even better politician, he wouldnt be where he is w/o ? steph, hhh=shane douglas with luck

That's just plain hate. Hogan and Undertaker were dead in 2002, that triangle beef with triple h for the undisputed title brought their careers back. If not for the WWE, triple h would be the man in TNA

After Hogans match with rock at Wrestlemania 18, Hogan was a gimmick until he feuded with hhh for the undisputed title, which legitimized Hogans career again as a legitimate singles wrestler.

Triple H was one of the 3 faces of the attitude era and the head of dx, explain how he needed legitimizing.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    edited March 2013
    Options
    ion know, maybe edge in ring style just appeal to me, i mean he used moves uncommon in wwe, knew where to use em, wasnt too much a high flyer but did his thing when it came to big spots in big matches, when i think to the smackdown heyday the first match i think of is edge and eddie guerrero, but thats just me, i will say he definitely did leave something to be desired on the mic as a heel, but ay, they saw something in edge at a time where the roster still had a lotta big players, and he took it and eventually ran with it
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I might as well be the first to say it since it hasn't been said yet: Christian >> Edge. The only difference is Edge does have more intensity.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options

/rant

Triple H was one of the 3 faces of the attitude era and the head of dx, explain how he needed legitimizing.

scsa, rock, taker, hbk were leading the attitude era for a couple years while hhh was still rising as european champion, rock was rising too but he'd surpassed hhh, hhh had already had some championship reigns by the time he came up on hogan and prolly was the top heel, but that rivalry was prolly meant to make sure to cement hhh, how did hogan need legitimizing is the real question tho
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    christian was definitely underrated, i just wish he'd stop all that clappin in the middle of matches he's been doin last couple years
  • jono
    Options
    HHH was fresh off an injury in 2002, he was hot property but so was Hogan (both freshly turned faces). Undertaker was doing the Big Evil thing and was killing ? .
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

/rant

What in the revisionist hell?
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Options

/rant

scsa, rock, taker, hbk were leading the attitude era for a couple years while hhh was still rising as european champion, rock was rising too but he'd surpassed hhh, hhh had already had some championship reigns by the time he came up on hogan and prolly was the top heel, but that rivalry was prolly meant to make sure to cement hhh, how did hogan need legitimizing is the real question tho

Hogan was a gimmick after Wrestlemania 18. Nobody expected this guy to challenge for the WWE title. His matches with hhh for the belt would be nothing without hhh playing the role of ruthless heel punishing Hogan. Have you seen Hogan wrestle in 2002? Slow, rusty, and botch a holic. Triple h carried him.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    man, ill argue later, me giving hogan all this respect is sickening me
  • herbalism101
    herbalism101 Members Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Very overrated. Besides take a next man's woman and flaunt it on national tv and punking Eddie off by being in a storyline with Vickie, what solid impact in singles did he make? What did he do to get ahead of many other deserving veteran wrestlers to be in the HOF? Im not saying he didnt deserve to be in it, but not so soon. Seemed like a pity movement/business deal.
  • herbalism101
    herbalism101 Members Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cont'd(cause i cant understand this ? edit ? )
    What did he do that was so amazing that he was inducted ahead of many other deserving veteran wrestlers? It's like it was a pity move/business deal.
    As for the HHH lite comment, I totally agree. Decent worker getting multiple pushes when there were/are others that are just as deserving.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    edited March 2013
    Options

/rant

Hogan was a gimmick after Wrestlemania 18. Nobody expected this guy to challenge for the WWE title. His matches with hhh for the belt would be nothing without hhh playing the role of ruthless heel punishing Hogan. Have you seen Hogan wrestle in 2002? Slow, rusty, and botch a holic. Triple h carried him.

thats hogan's entire career to me for the most part, but being that he is the biggest name in professional wrestling history, i would think him working with anyone would benefit and add to their legendary status, moreso than them adding to his, of course he wasnt a serious contender, he was there to put people over or make em look good just like hbk and rick flair's later years
  • RawAce
    RawAce Members Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When edge had his baby face run I felt like I was his only fan and he would never get over the ? . Wwe had a knack for not pushing guys wit great move sets. Fast forward and edge is gettin a push as a sneaky villain. Rackin up bloated title reign stats. I was a big edgehead but I. Was disappointed to see how he got his major runs
  • RawAce
    RawAce Members Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Christian>>>>edge?

Wtf is next, butch reed>>>Ron Simmons?

Mufasa>>>> new jack?
  • MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Edge=Christian ? they even have the same moveset especially when Jay was in TNA and Adam was in WWE. Anyway I don't feel he is overrated I think he got his just due he got he's push he put on good matches , he wasn't terrible on the mic he was dependable enough where he wasn't going to ? his opportunity up(unlike Jeff Hardy and Randy Orton). He was loyal to the company give his body to the company and they rewarded him for that he went out in a classy way .

The underrated thing people don't talk about is dependability think about how eddie died, benoit died, Batista retired, Rey's injuries, Randy's health violations and other stuff, all that type stuff effects what they do creatively its not all about oh well he's over or he deserves it or all that other ? . Its about can you show up for work and do a good job and Edge benefited from other people in the companies short comings . Plus he could wrestle and I'm always going ? with the dudes that can put it down in the ring .
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Edge was that ?
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    I know people gonna say its a TKO that marc mero does, but the way Brock does it (fireman carry) now Edge was the original as far as I know.

funny how they both wifed sable.

and yes edge is overrated
  • lookdude
    lookdude Members Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't see how he can be seen as overrated we seen him work his way up to heavy weight champion he never got any handouts

I was never a big Edge fan but he earned his spot and push
  • f.e.d.s.
    f.e.d.s. Members Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    how is this overrated?

WWE Championship (4 times)[220]
    World Heavyweight Championship (7 times)
    WCW United States Championship (1 time)
    WWF/E Intercontinental Championship (5 times)
    World Tag Team Championship (11 times)- with Christian (7), Hulk Hogan (1), Chris Benoit (2), and Randy Orton(1)
    WWE Tag Team Championship (2 times) – with Rey Mysterio (1), and Chris Jericho (1)
    WWE ? Championship (1 time)
    Fourteenth Triple Crown Champion
    King of the Ring (2001)
    Money in the Bank (2005, 2007)
    Royal Rumble (2010)

cmon man...I was sold on Edge after his match with ? Foley at WrestleMania 22
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Options
    He still overrated
  • TheBoyRo
    TheBoyRo Members Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can't believe y'all ain't talking about the cena/edge feud from 06. That ? was entertaining as ? .
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    It seemed like the WWE was pushing Edge too much

Edge's solo push started in 2001, he was pegged as the "face of smackdown" in 2002. He got hurt and was brought back and pushed again as the top face versus Evolution. When that failed he turned heel and then he didn't generate enough heat by himself so they teamed him up with Lita and began the Matt Hardy thing. That's about 3-4 years of solid pushing. Without Matt & Lita he doesn't make it to the main event for real. He shined once he was there though, I will say that.

Most guys would have been buried for failing that much.

how are you considered a failure if you get injured?

he took the IC strap from orton, who held it for about 8 months. how is that a fail?

edge was getting heat as a heel before they teamed him up with lita. he was the whiner who felt he wasnt getting a fair shot at the world heavyweight championship. lets not act like dude ever had a hard time generating heat by himself as a heel
    JokerKing wrote: »

/rant

dude...hhh was a face in that feud as well
  • jono
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    It seemed like the WWE was pushing Edge too much

Edge's solo push started in 2001, he was pegged as the "face of smackdown" in 2002. He got hurt and was brought back and pushed again as the top face versus Evolution. When that failed he turned heel and then he didn't generate enough heat by himself so they teamed him up with Lita and began the Matt Hardy thing. That's about 3-4 years of solid pushing. Without Matt & Lita he doesn't make it to the main event for real. He shined once he was there though, I will say that.

Most guys would have been buried for failing that much.

how are you considered a failure if you get injured?

he took the IC strap from orton, who held it for about 8 months. how is that a fail?

edge was getting heat as a heel before they teamed him up with lita. he was the whiner who felt he wasnt getting a fair shot at the world heavyweight championship. lets not act like dude ever had a hard time generating heat by himself as a heel
    JokerKing wrote: »

/rant

dude...hhh was a face in that feud as well

That ? he was doing wasn't over. He was feuding with HBK and was barely over. Nobody took Edge seriously, it wasn't until the Matt Hardy feud and the real life heat between the two of them that he was able to make a transition to main event status. They had been trying for 4 years up to that point to make him a main event star.

All that HGH he was taking had his body falling apart.

Dude was supposed to be the one man to take down Evolution he got as far as winning the IC title from Orton. He might have wrestled Batista (I'm sure they wrestled at Summerslam in a triple threat) but he never made it to HHH.

TheBoyRo wrote: »
    Can't believe y'all ain't talking about the cena/edge feud from 06. That ? was entertaining as ? .

05-07 were good years for both Edge and Cena. Their feud was pretty good but it went on too long and most of the match were wack. Their TLC match is gold though.