does prayer accomplish anything?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nope, the ? of the bible doesn't exist and it is fabricated and cheapen copy of older more intelligent people's diety. Also, if there is a creator he would be finite, infinite since there is no such thing as infinite, everything has a level and it may be so high that we wouldn't recognized it's ceiling cap.
  • luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Sometimes, but looks like you'll never know. I could share stories but from the statement I think it might be a waste of time.
  • ineedpussy
    ineedpussy Members Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    luke1733 wrote: »
    Sometimes, but looks like you'll never know. I could share stories but from the statement I think it might be a waste of time.

@luke1733 share those stories bro. we all need some form of help

• luke1733
    Options
    When I was about 14 I knew I didn't care about noone; my mother, father, friends, noone. Which you can guess what life that lead me toward to try and feel some type of stimulation. I prayed to have a feeling of compassion because other people started to comment on my heartlessness; so I did believe in ? and that prayer was answered. Now, it's almost like be careful of what you pray for b/c I'm sensitive to almost everybody and what they feel now. I prayed that my parents would one day ask why I didn't really care for them, b/c it was messing my head up and my pride wouldn't let me let them know I wanted them to ask the question. They asked the question like the next week after my prayer and I answered them and it helped relieve a lot of the illwill I held toward them for playing favorites with their kids. I've often prayed for ? to bring people to me that can help in my love and acts toward ? and that I can help them and he often does this. Due to my hypocrisy I find it hard to be a role model, meaning it's easier to tell someone something than to show them, but this doesn't discount the fact that people do approach me with spiritual things when I truly don't go around speaking ? 's name in conversation just to be heard.
  • luke1733
    Options
    Also I was in a car accident that nearly killed me (but I'm sure plenty of people say this, but hey). My car did a 180 on the interstate and a 18 wheeler was right in front of me coming toward me while my car was going backwards. I didn't pray this time, but I heard a voice tell me very calmly to "turn my steering wheel to the left". I did so and my car did not do a 360 but did turned back to the way it should be facing on the highway and then I hit the median of the wall. I totalled my car, the air bag came out and smoke was everywhere. I asked a lady the number to 911 after I got out my car; but I lived. Now, I could say I ain't hear no voice; voice was in my head, or I could say the real blessing would have been to never have been in the accident or have bad things happen to me but I had a feeling earlier that day too that something bad would happen. But I've felt that before too, so call it what you will. I didn't pray for it, but when your life flashes before your eyes and you ain't looking for ? and ? comes for you; then you do at that moment humble yourself to realize that somebody else or something else was with you.This is when you're not even trying to ask ? ; he makes his presence known and you don't confuse it with anything else.
  • luke1733
    Options
    Had guns pulled on me 3x and I prayed for my life and well..here I am typing. Again, anything is arguable. Why did ? allow for a gun to be pulled on me? Why somebody else get shot whose faith was stronger than mine? Well, ? is no genie and prayers aren't a wish list; it's more like acknowledging ? because well he's ? and he does what he wants; not what I want.
  • luke1733
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Another dude's testimony who I semi-witnessed was an atheist (not proclaimed atheist, just said he did not believe there was a ? ). He and I fell out over some petty stuff but that's besides the point or story he told me about. This guy was my mechanic. He had insurance on his business but didn't. This is what happened. He used to give his employees (which he only had 4 working for him) blank checks to write out to other car companies nearby for materials he needed. So, one of them began stealing his checks somehow; I'm not sure how he did it. So the owner which is the mechanic I knew had to close the account on a Friday when he found out. His insurance was under this account. That next day another one of his employees somehow had one of the cars catch on fire as he was working on it. The fire got to the other flammable liquids and blew up the entire business and over 100 cars. It was all on the news in ATL.
  • luke1733
    edited August 2013
    Options
    His insurance didn't cover any of it because his account was closed Friday. So he had to pay out his pocket for most of the cars and the rest he got sued for by the people. I walked over to his business the next day and he was having to clean up all the debris. Nothing left it looked like a nuclear bomb went off. He told me he had nothing. He was a real funny guy and still trying to make jokes, but wiping tears from his eyes at the same time. I gave him a couple hundred and he took that and gave it back to his workers because they ain't have no jobs. He did this after telling me he ain't have no food to feed his 3 kids and wife. I helped him clean up and left. A couple of weeks later I checked in on him and he told me this story.
  • luke1733
    edited August 2013
    Options
    He was in his kitchen 4am in the morning with the gun to his head about to commit suicide and the phone rang. He picked it up and it was his wife's preacher. He told me then he believed in ? . After that he started going to church. A little while after that a guy up the street less than 2 miles from his old business was trying to get out of his car business and retire but he still owed on the building. So they just did a transfer and signed over the lease and he got a better building with barely nothing to pay on it. He still talked about all his tools were gone and he couldn't take out a loan big enough to buy back all the tools he needed to fix Lexus's and Toyota's. This is when somebody at the church he started going to just came up to him and gave him all the tools he needed. Now, this same dude later had some differences with me, but I can still look at his story and see ? the same way he did. Plus when I drive buy the now 3rd building he's in; it looks like he's doing pretty good financially.
  • luke1733
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Last note I'm gonna write, is none that stuff has to be life-threatening or some win the lottery stuff; and through studying I learned that's really the wrong way and opposite way we're supposed to pray. I just wrote what came to mind when I remembered prayer working in that type of way; but it's kinda weird because honestly the mechanic didn't pray and didn't believe in ? . I've also had an uncle who's a chiropractor in New Orleans with terrible things happen and he believed and still does believe strongly in ? . His brother died mysteriously a couple of days before Katrina. A day after the funeral Katrina hit and destroyed his business, house and the whole city. I don't have to explain that. He then moved to Huntsville Alabama to try to rebuild and those tornadoes came and destroyed his house, business and customers again. He has 3 girls and one son and a wife who are my cousins/aunt and all of them were in college and had to drop out because my uncle was paying their bills. He decided not to leave and the tornadoes came back again and destroyed his stuff again. He moved his family with the rest of my folks in Maryland for about a year b/c he was worried about them, but he stayed in Huntsville and rebuilt his practice again and now he drives from New Orleans from Huntsville and runs two of his businesses and put his daughters through college. They're all back in Huntsville now and like I said he still works in both cities and does that drive weekly.
    I can't call that a blessing,but just a crazy story. That's it for me writing on this topic. By the way, the blasphemy on your first statement saying that curse to ? is even forgivable according to ? 's word, but it's just not cool to curse who you don't know from reading what you wrote. I don't know you, and I am assuming this but I can still guess (since even people who don't believe in ? but read what his people say are his words have enough respect to recognize the wisdom of those teachings enough not to say that) you haven't read his words and studied his word. You probably read some verses from many religions and witnessed how the people act and used common sense and said it ain't for you. It probably isn't. I can understand not doing so, you do what you feel and if it doesn't bother me or noone else then I say peace, but to curse on someone who you might even like just to do so--then that it isn't good man. I don't know some Native Americans gods or Buddha (even though I've read some on Buddha) but just outta respect
  • whar
    whar Members Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Luke your story is filled with people helping someone. If you had said " I will pray for you" instead of helping him with money for grocers or if that business owner had said "I will will prayer for you" rather than setting up a sweetheart business deal this guy would be in terrible straits. Friends, family, and neighbors can actually effect our lives for the good.

While I am not calling direct BS on your story, though I can find nothing online to corroborate, I am at a loss as to how close a checking account with a bank on Friday would invalidate an insurance policy on Saturday. Even if the payment was late he would just have to send in payment for coverage.
  • luke1733
    Options
    Well judge prayers now. Yo, alright. 1st, I did tell guy I would pray for him and I did. I ain't write that on here. On other notes some of them were prayers that were answered and some weren't prayers at all. I think it's obvious his wife was praying for him and the church along with me. So? I don't have to say I'll pray for you. Your relationship with ? is telling in your response to me man. You say "if you had said i will pray for you" instead of helping him....Well prayer without works is like faith without works. Christians are to be the blessing. We are supposed to be vessels used and open for ? to use at his will. So since I prayed for him and others prayed for him and he received what he acknowledged were blessings then our prayers for him were answered; even though he ain't even pray but his soul was saved. That's a bigger blessing than life itself and all the material ? I mentioned (which the material stuff should not always be looked at as a sign of a blessing).If you trying to disprove a prayer then whatever man. I admit I thought that story on the insurance company wasn't all the way straight myself but I wasn't grilling him on it when I saw him face to face.
  • danielleandramel
    danielleandramel Members Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • luke1733
    Options
    Ironically, the same insurance issue is what we fell out over 2 years after that when somebody broke into my car on his property and he didn't want my insurance to take care of it because he did not have insurance on the parking lot. He wanted to pay for replacing everything on my car himself and keep the insurance out of it because he knew my insurance company would charge him and based off that last incident it wouldn't be good for him. That's another issue, but to find nothing online to corroborate??? Really man. You don't even begin to know where to look for it. The name of the company now is Lex Techs. I don't can't remember their name 4 years ago because he changed it when the business burned. Dude call the owner for yourself. I don't BS.
  • luke1733
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Check the resume since some yungn thinks somone lying: In the Dominican 8 years was with my girl and had the cops pull guns on me,as they do to most people that rent a car (with a big rent-a-car sticker on your back window) and stop at lights in Santo Domingo, in Dominican 4 years ago-again it happened when I was solo. 3rd at an ATM in Savannah, Ga. If you wanna check on the car dude/owner of shop call him and say whatever: Lex Techs Chamisa Road. Just look at the damn news for the uncle story on Huntsville Alabama getting hit by those tornadoes if you don't remember. The tornado didn't hit his practice building but ruined his business b/c his clients/patients homes and businesses were destroyed; and the first thing people cancel is chiropractic therapy when tight on finances. That happened like a couple years after Katrina. It ain't the time frame it's the fact that all happened to one man and his family and I was making the point this was an example of a prayerful man NOT having his prayers answered. Believe in prayer or don't. Point is sometimes people's prayers are answered and sometimes not; and sometime crazy stuff happens
  • NYETOPn
    NYETOPn Members Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Surely it provides reassurance for those who believe prayer works.
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Options
    lol @ the thought of black ppl kneeling @ the side of their bed b4 they go to sleep @ nite. yall ? livin in the stone age.
  • ineedpussy
    ineedpussy Members Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    idk, i prayed for something and it came to fruition. now it wasnt the result i was looking for but i was satisfied and felt and burden/weight tooken off my shoulders.
    @luke- good lookin holmes.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    what in the ? happened in here
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Way too long didn't ? read.
  • REV_RAGE
    REV_RAGE Members Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nothing other than hoping something good happens, if it does we say "Praise ? " and when it fails you were not pious enough...IDK

Total BS
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    prayer: ? help my mother as she battles cancer (even though it was "gods will/doing") give her the strength to live

2 outcomes

#1: she lives, so it's praise ? , he's so glorious and almighty!!! ? did it!!!

#2: she dies, so it's "gods will", no praise is given for this outcome either.

Pretty one sided for Christians.

It's all about convience.
  • GSonII
    GSonII Members Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Prayer is meant to humble yourself before ? .
  • luke1733
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Nothing other than hoping something good happens, if it does we say "Praise ? " and when it fails you were not pious enough...IDK
    With respect to the above logic:
    The reverse is how people who don't believe in the divine-feel and say about miracles. When something truly is a miracle and everyone acknowledges it as so, writes it down in history, and die by the thousands to testify that what they saw was true; someone else who saw the same exact thing says "nope, I don't believe it. Do it again." There is absolutely nothing that can be done for those who don't believe. All the proof in the world is before their eyes and hearts yet still they give into not wanting to acknowledge their own soul. Skully off X-Files is the prime example. See a blessing or a miracle and discount ? even if ? spoke through a rock and split the seas for you to walk through or brought someone and hundreds back from the dead who'd been dead for years; these people's jealousy would replace awe and then they'd move onto ignoring or denying it or distorting it. We hear "just because you don't know how it was done doesn't mean it was a miracle." Good point on most things, but if you're talking about a miracle and a miracle happens as was prayed or acts as an entity in itself as it is doing something for all to see then that is a miracle; and that is what those scriptures from the Koran, Bible and Torah are stating. Those religions aren't saying 5 people saw something. They're saying whole cities of people saw it, recorded it, knew where it came from and acknowledged it and didn't want to forget it and you couldn't convince them otherwise to say differently; even those who formerly didn't believe. But it is popular and considered intelligent Saying "? didn't do it for me so it wasn't ? ; it was just a freak occurrence. I admit I can't explain it, but..." Christians and all religions look for blessings way too often and hope in them more than actually being active participants in doing right by others just as much as atheists look toward denial and the hope that there is no ? and lucrative theories that even the creators of those theories on their death beds retracted yet some still act as though his theory (though it has some obvious truths) is completely and all true.Those religions have been tested for over 3,000 years and still remain true, with only those who don't study them stealing theories and challenges and regurgitating the same thousands of year old questions that have already been answered; yet continue to be questioned.