"The reason WWF was so good at this point.... the strength of the mid card!" - Random Youtuber

Options
DOPEdweebz
DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
edited March 2013 in Off The Turn Buckle
87HitmanFan 2 weeks ago

The reason WWF was so good at this point.... the strength of the mid card!!! The Rock,Ken Shamrock, Owen Hart, Goldust, ? Foley, Terry Funk, The NOD, HHH, Ahmed Jonson... the list goes on. who do we have now..... Zak Ryder, Brodus Clay & Tensai.... says it all!!! no matter how "over" your main eventers are, if the mid card sucks, it brings the whole product down!!!

"The reason WWF was so good at this point.... the strength of the mid card!" - Random Youtuber 21 votes

Agree
76%
Recaptimus_Prime360south4lifekj_da_midwest_mobstajonoCopperillestni99ainneVIBEDOPEdweebzMr.LVIdiopathic JokerAlready Home_17lookdudeTheRicanKingoatmealdudePeezy_JenkinsRawAce 16 votes
Disagree
0%
Somewhat Agree
23%
[Deleted User]thefocusman2Cutler 26 INT's LOL!its....JOHN BYoung Gunner 5 votes

Comments

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Agree
    The midcard is the most important part of the card because its the bulk of the show. A show is judged by everything that appears on it, not just the main event. Making it to the end shouldn't be a chore, it should be a crescendo.

The midcard now is similar to the midcard of WWF in 1995 where you had The Bodydonnas, Man Mountain Rock, Issac Yankem etc putting on terrible forgettable matches and generally wasting everyone's time.

They have some talented guys they just don't give them enough time and they bury them to the point where nobody cares anymore. Look at Cesaro now, he was pushed solidly for 2 months and now he's losing in 2 minutes in a throwaway match on RAW. That's ? .
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The midcard of today is weak as ?
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Agree
    The mid-card is the show.

When you go to see a movie, or watch a circus act, they open up with a slow start. It's the equilvent to the jobbers in the WWE, a few minutes in, after a few laughs, you get your mid-carders, the bulk of the movie or circus act. This is where it's entertaining, fun, intense, amazing etc.. It's the glue to the whole thing, last, you get your Big Bang, the cherry on the pie. This is where all the OVER guys come in, they top off the show.

But, we don't have this. We have the top guys start it, get put in the middle, then are put in the end. There is no mid-card, just a few jobbers and some sketches to fill up the gaps.

It's like a ? way to build a house, but it still looks good.

HHH knows he needs a mid-card, he just can't ? with Vince yet. Once Vince croaks in a few years, ? is a wrap. I think we will have great wrestling.
  • jono
    Options
    Agree
    If you'd have told me 2-3 years ago HHH was taking over I'd have told you WWE would be closed within 10 years but he's proving me wrong, he's more old school than even Vince and that's needed right now.
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Agree
    jono wrote: »
    If you'd have told me 2-3 years ago HHH was taking over I'd have told you WWE would be closed within 10 years but he's proving me wrong, he's more old school than even Vince and that's needed right now.
    The advantage triple h has over Vince is that triple h is a wrestler first and Vince is not so he knows what the fans want, 2013 is going to be way better than 2012.
  • Cutler 26 INT's LOL!
    Cutler 26 INT's LOL! Members Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Somewhat Agree
    Somewhat. The reason the mid card was good cause they made people give a ? about Val Venis, HHH,Ken Shamrock, Billy Gunn, Owen Hart ect.

Dolph Zigs loses every week and when he does when he defeats a perinnial loser by cheating. We supposed to believe he can be World Champ? FOH...

So basically the writing was better.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Agree
    the mid carders carry half of the show....The intercontinental title and the fueds around it used to be just as interesting as the world title....
  • south4life
    south4life Members Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Agree
    When the mid-card today has The Great Khali and Hornswoggle then u know it is wack.

The 80's had Ravishing Rick Rude, Mr. Perfect, Million Dollar Man, Jake The Snake Roberts, Tito Santana, The Rockers, Rick Martel, The Wild Samoans, Rocky Johnson & Tony Atlas, The British Bulldogs, Ricky Steamboat, Junkyard Dog, The Hart Foundation, Paul Orndorff, Cowboy Bob Orton, Jim Duggan, Bam Bam Bigelow, Big Bossman, Demolition, Jimmy Snuka, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Brutus Beefcake and The ? Tonk Man and all could perform in the ring with no problem, today it's crazy how the mid-carders can't keep the crowd's attention.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Agree
    south4life wrote: »
    When the mid-card today has The Great Khali and Hornswoggle then u know it is wack.

The 80's had Ravishing Rick Rude, Mr. Perfect, Million Dollar Man, Jake The Snake Roberts, Tito Santana, The Rockers, Rick Martel, The Wild Samoans, Rocky Johnson & Tony Atlas, The British Bulldogs, Ricky Steamboat, Junkyard Dog, The Hart Foundation, Paul Orndorff, Cowboy Bob Orton, Jim Duggan, Bam Bam Bigelow, Big Bossman, Demolition, Jimmy Snuka, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Brutus Beefcake and The ? Tonk Man and all could perform in the ring with no problem, today it's crazy how the mid-carders can't keep the crowd's attention.

Bruh you just took me back. Thats damn there an all star squad. All those folks you listed are>>>>>>>>>>>>than the whole WWE current roster.

Again, when they started havin all these guest celebs hosting the show, and being part if the storyline, I stopped watching. I only go on the site to look @ updates. Too many dumb azzz gimmicks. Too many dumb azzz wrestlers. And yet the current roster got the nerve to get mad that the Rock is carryin the title??

You know things are bad when they gotta keep bringing back Rock, HHH, Taker, Micheals, Stone Cold, and even Brock. Just breathe some life.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Agree
    u would think with the 3 hour raws they woulda focused on that, or at least letting the workhorses have stand out ppv type matches(kinda like cena/punk a few weeks ago) much more often, but no, 3 hour raws arent utilizing more talent or showin more pure wrestling, it justs kills the crowd and home audience
  • jono
    Options
    Agree
    The amount of time was never the problem, the problem was the usage of the time and the ? ass writers.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Agree
    I agree but i think the WWE major other problem is Cena. He's the face of the product, and he's not holding it up to standard for almost 8 years now. You have to have him feud with guys like The Rock not for The Rock sake, The Rock doesn't need the exposure, he doesn't need to comeback to keep his ass relevant. He already made his mark, but in a way to keep the WWE... I mean Cena.. interesting, and it's sad. You have to keep pulling taker back for another match at his prehistoric condition and age cuz Cena alone can't carry it and they make the "other guy", Orton, non-important as ? . If Cena and Orton or Hogan and macho man, then who's gonna successfully carry the product when they are in their late 30s? Ziggler? CM Punk will be the same age as them also in his late 30s... are they wasting whatever good he does with a poor mid card... everything just ties in together.

TNA, hopefully as it's getting bigger and bigger will force WWE to change b4 its too late for the entire business.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Agree
    Just turn Cena heel again. They gotta do something drastic. If he's the WWE's version of Hogan, then do what WCW did, and make him a heel. Imo, Hogan as a heel was pure GOATNESS. No one expected it. That's what made it so great.

But @ this rate, I can't watch the WWE until it changes it direction.
  • eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The mid card isn't even that bad just under utilized. What are Rhodes, ziggler, sandow, cesaro doing every week losing get those guys going it could be different
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Agree
    eyes low wrote: »
    The mid card isn't even that bad just under utilized. What are Rhodes, ziggler, sandow, cesaro doing every week losing get those guys going it could be different
    Cosign its not even the wrestlers its more so the writers if any thing they having no direction with half the roster and if they do they ? it prematurely.
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sandow is that ?
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Agree
    Classic albums are determined by the non singles