When the Mod becomes the Sleeper… My Apologies...

RuffDraft
RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2013 in The Essence
'Sup,

To anyone who still posts in The Essence, I thank you for the time that you have put in to helping this sub-forum to grow. It has been a long while since The Essence truly flourished and I apologise for my lack of posting in recent months, even over the past year.

Truthfully, I've taken a step away from underground hip hop and moved onto classical music, listening to Ludovico Einaudi and the likes, as I find it therapeutic for an oft-too-busy life that I lead.

I've tried searching for underground music to love, and have found the odd gem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ohym48qTv4&feature=player_embedded
Yancey Boys Feat. Frank Nitt - 'The Throwaway'

But otherwise, I've found that even the underground is lacking the input that it once received so wildly. Here's to hoping that 2013 takes a shift for the better, as 2012 wasn't the greatest, IMO. Despite seeing Kendrick Lamar take his spot on the commercial charts.

Despite this, I'm checking out a few albums today and hope to find a few gems that I've been sleeping on. I'll make threads about them if they're thread worthy.

Until then, what's your vision for the underground this year?
What are you looking forward to?
Are you still checking for The Essence to become what it once was?

Again, I apologise for the severity of my sleeping on hip hop. I hope that I will take a turn for diggin' beats and flows once again, but remain currently heavily uninspired. Despite the fact that hip hop is still a large part of who I am.

Currently though, I've been checking out The Foreign Exchange and other artists on Foreign Exchange Music, this track to me is a classic medley:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9uH3WzirDc
Zo! Feat. Sy Smith - 'Driving'

And this is a great track from The Foreign Exchange's current album, 'The Re:Works':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgwCI7APvIk
The Foreign Exchange - 'So What if it is?'

Here's to all the independent artists who have made great music over the past decade, The Essence thanks and salutes you, as always.

Peace.

Comments

• rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still very much an Underground head, despite the fact I'm very much visible in The Reason . .

Stonesthrow Records is still a regular music site for me, BamaLoveSoul for that Nubian Soul ish, Domeshots & Fat laces for very rare and Internationally made mixtapes, Amazon for bargain CDs (£0.01 LOL, been buying loads of 90s RnB records alongside rap, nostalgia is a ? ) . .

Yeah so we still alive and rocking!!!
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea for me, underground all day..with some old school tracks here and there. Still working on finding something that satisfy my IT career path.

Musically, anything that I check out on Producers I know or from word of mouth. Bandcamp has been my best friend for quite some time and I'm still working on my album list. But due to this heavy job seeking mission, its been rough. But good to see you coming back!
  • traestar
    I may also have to add Foreign Exchange's last couple albums, that track you posted is addicting!
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's all love @ruffdraft...

Like @rip.dilla been living in "The Reason" recently.

I dropped a thread a little bit back, but no one checking for it.

@traestar you have been holding it down with your Album thread. Good looking out.

Still rockin' underground tunes and old school tracks. ? you not; just picked up Rob Base & DJ EZ Rock 1st album.

And you have to check the "CZARFACE" ? is dope...

• Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Ruff, yeah i kinda been everywhere else on the forum havent seen much activity happening here. Co sign what you said about the underground not seeming as good. It seems like something hasnt been released in a long time that is worth checking out.

Besides that new Demigodz album. Just downloaded that and its real dope. Still gotta peep CZARFACE and that new Killah Priest tho.
  • traestar
    achewon87 wrote: »

@traestar you have been holding it down with your Album thread. Good looking out.

Still rockin' underground tunes and old school tracks. ? you not; just picked up Rob Base & DJ EZ Rock 1st album.

COTDAYUM @ copping that Rob Base and EZ Rock gem
  • RuffDraft
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    I'm still very much an Underground head, despite the fact I'm very much visible in The Reason . .

Stonesthrow Records is still a regular music site for me, BamaLoveSoul for that Nubian Soul ish, Domeshots & Fat laces for very rare and Internationally made mixtapes, Amazon for bargain CDs (£0.01 LOL, been buying loads of 90s RnB records alongside rap, nostalgia is a ? ) . .

Yeah so we still alive and rocking!!!

I'll check out those sites, I miss HipHopLinguistics.com, I used to have a high affinity for the music posted there and since he stopped posting, I grew apart from what I guess was my real grail.

Lol at 1p CDs! Hahaha great to hear from you dilla :tu
    traestar wrote: »
    Yea for me, underground all day..with some old school tracks here and there. Still working on finding something that satisfy my IT career path.

Musically, anything that I check out on Producers I know or from word of mouth. Bandcamp has been my best friend for quite some time and I'm still working on my album list. But due to this heavy job seeking mission, its been rough. But good to see you coming back!

Keep at it Trae! :tu You'll find your path soon, I'm sure!

Props Trae, it's good to be back. Just hoping for something to really spark our creative juices and get us all going crazy again for independent hip hop.
    I may also have to add Foreign Exchange's last couple albums, that track you posted is addicting!

Definitely, what do you think of the Zo! track? His album's out soon, Sy Smith looks to be FIRE!
    achewon87 wrote: »

I'll check out your thread @achewon87 :tu Props on posting.

The Reason had one or two mature threads the other day, which was good.

@traestar, I've noticed that your thread's been up there, keep meaning to check it and will head in there shortly :tu

Hahaha that's amazing @ Rob Base & DJ EZ Rock!!! Props on that one…

I'll check that, was looking at it over at UGHH (Has that site lost its fans?) didn't seem to have as many positives as usual over there, but I'll definitely check it now that you've recommended it :tu

I think we need to start making threads on the albums that we're checking for in 2013… I will start once I've checked a few of these out that I've just picked up!

Props again to everyone for still checking The Essence despite my lowest period of posting… it's all love as you say and I love the board and wish I had the spare time that I used to enjoy. Appreciate you all being willing to share, I've discovered many gems here in the past and my musical path wouldn't have been as fulfilled without The Essence.

Thank you.
  • traestar
    @ruffdraft oh man, not yet I didn't check the single but I seen the cover album! MAN, thats tough!! Man Made!
  • rip.dilla
    I've been this year to via Doctor's Orders see/attend:

- The annual J Dilla DJ set

- DJ Premier & Statik Selektah

- NaS at the O2 Arena (GOAT rapper hands down)

. .

I'll be attending a DJ Jazzy Jeff gig on April 17 and Yasiin Bey in May

So far, so good :)
  • stupot0607
    stupot0607 Members Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭
    @ruffdraft mate apologies, for the last 6 months, all i been listening to is Simon & Garfunkel, Beach Boys, John Mayer - Born & Raised (Amazing 10/10 album) & Ben Howard - Every Kingdom (Amazing 10/10 album again).... not as much hip hop in my Bump playlist....

I Know Kweli dropped another album though, was gonna check that out.

Hope all is well, ill drop you a email sometime soon
  • RuffDraft
    @ruffdraft oh man, not yet I didn't check the single but I seen the cover album! MAN, thats tough!! Man Made!

Definitely! Two features from Phonte and two from Sy Smith, can't wait to check it!!!
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    I've been this year to via Doctor's Orders see/attend:

- The annual J Dilla DJ set

- DJ Premier & Statik Selektah

- NaS at the O2 Arena (GOAT rapper hands down)

. .

I'll be attending a DJ Jazzy Jeff gig on April 17 and Yasiin Bey in May

So far, so good :)

Man, I envy your place in the world! I've only been able to see Kendrick Lamar so far this year… some nice DJ sets that you've been to there! I'd love to see Premier!!! Nas is amazing, possibly my favourite too, although some of his shows that I've been to he seems to forget his lines, other times, he puts in amazing performances.

Enjoy that one!!
    stupot0607 wrote: »
    @ruffdraft mate apologies, for the last 6 months, all i been listening to is Simon & Garfunkel, Beach Boys, John Mayer - Born & Raised (Amazing 10/10 album) & Ben Howard - Every Kingdom (Amazing 10/10 album again).... not as much hip hop in my Bump playlist....

I Know Kweli dropped another album though, was gonna check that out.

Hope all is well, ill drop you a email sometime soon

'Sup stupot! I've been trying to reply to your last email for time! I'll get back to you very shortly though, as I break up tomorrow!

I'll check your two 10/10s, I thought Ben Howard sounded good, but I was too close minded to search him out more than viewing his performance, glad he's nice.

I'll have to check the Kweli record too, props.

All good here otherwise, speak soon!
  • renagade410.
    renagade410. Members Posts: 647 ✭✭✭
    i have been damn near awol from the essence....def gonna change that. Trust in believe undeground hip hop hasnt fallen off tho...you just have to dig deeper than usual. Im always sittin on some dope music imma have to start postin stuff
  • RuffDraft
    i have been damn near awol from the essence....def gonna change that. Trust in believe undeground hip hop hasnt fallen off tho...you just have to dig deeper than usual. Im always sittin on some dope music imma have to start postin stuff

Props @renagade410 Part of the problem for me is that I no longer get the time to delve deeper... I'm sure that I'm sleeping but it's hard to discover when people won't give you the time to wake up! Would definitely appreciate the threads :tu
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yea ive been away from here as well pop in a few times but havent posted here in a long ass minute need to get back in here......word to everyone bumping CZARFACE been bumping that since it dropped as well as that new Demigodz album. besides those i suggest ppl check out that new Gensu Dean & Planet Asia album"Abrasions",Ras Kass "Barmageddon", Swollen Members dropped a new album called"beautiful death machine" which is dope as well.
  • Lou Cypher
    I see Casual just released a project produced by Jake One. anyone peep that?
  • traestar
    I'll check it out
  • rip.dilla
    Is Barmageddon an album or a tape?

Huge Kass fan right here . .

I'll also check out the new Jake one ?
  • Lou Cypher
    I got that Barmegeddon. Its a mixtape. lots of songs are a little under 3:00. Its a good listen tho. not Ras most thrilling work but its good.
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No barmagaden is an album coped that ? off itunes. Havent seen it on any mixtape sites
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's two barnageddons one j a mixtape the other is an album. Album is dope one of my favs this year.
  • traestar
    My apologies for not following up to ANY music in general. Anything from bandcamp takes top priority but trust me once I get my situation together, I will get back in order!!

In the meantime, this is DOPE!!

a1029843095_2.jpg

http://raashanahmad.bandcamp.com/album/ceremony