So How Long Until NBA Owners Force A Two or Three and Done Rule?

Options
blackrain
blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
Eventually NBA owners are going to start to fall back on drafting these one and done player because of lack of development like they did those run of players that tried coming from high school to the NBA and flopped right? Watching the NCAA Tournament, the quality of play and talent level of some of these players, especially the marquee star players, is just terrible. 99% of these dudes would get ate alive on an NBA court it seems and far too many draft picks have already been wasted on a player who was a one and done but then you gotta wait 3-4 years for development on the hope they can become something.

That ? does show another NCAA trend too. The one and done's are going to make it so the NCAA will truly be about the best TEAMS who been together 2-3 years not the best collection of individual players thrown together for 1 season simply making an NBA audition tape.

Comments

• D.D.S.
    D.D.S. Members Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    they might make this a rule. a lot of these players that are coming in early are not making a good transition (ex: demarcus cousins)
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    R.D. wrote: »
    this ? it terrible and makes a lot of these college games hard to watch

Either go back to the old way or make these dudes stay a few years

I was saying the same ? yesterday.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options

Watching Miami's game with my brother sparked this thought. We got to talking about how no way in hell is Miami the most "talented" team, but they may be by far the best team. It's also why we've seen teams like Butler, VCU and some other smaller D1 schools upset and make runs in the NCAA Tournament. These teams typically have starters who been playing together between 2-3 years already. Have a chemistry, know each other, and are bigger and stronger than an 18-19 year old freshman no matter how athletic they may be.
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »

Watching Miami's game with my brother sparked this thought. We got to talking about how no way in hell is Miami the most "talented" team, but they may be by far the best team. It's also why we've seen teams like Butler, VCU and some other smaller D1 schools upset and make runs in the NCAA Tournament. These teams typically have starters who been playing together between 2-3 years already. Have a chemistry, know each other, and are bigger and stronger than an 18-19 year old freshman no matter how athletic they may be.

Yeah these mid majors can't recruit the big name high school talent like a Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, etc. But then all those solid players slip through the cracks and go to smaller schools and since they might not have the athletes the powerhouses have, they have to play more team oriented ball. I hate seeing so much zone defense in the tournament too.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    they need to scrap the rule and let them go straight to the league AAU and ? 3rd cousins coaching them over some real high school coaches is killing these dudes skillset. you get the one and done dudes and they already know they don't have to listen to any college coach and they just do what they want.
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    they need to take away the guaranteed contracts for being a first round pick. thats whats causing so many guys to jump.
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yep. How long was the deal the unions signed last year?

I expect another locket a year before the new deal is done.

Say goodbye to guaranteed contracts and 1&done rookies.

• Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I need these guess to stay for a 2 yr minimum in college and in any other league. I was always a fan of what brandon jennings did though
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Or they can just play in Europe for 1 year and enter the draft.
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^^^ that.

Ain't nobody forcing these kids or these GMs to draft them.

If the next 10 white lottery picks are busts, are you gonna ban whites from being drafted?

No. These GMs need to smarten up, hire better scouts, and stop lettin the media tell them who the next Jordan/Shaq/Lebron, etc is.
  • bull6599
    bull6599 Members Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wish they'd adopt the baseball rule. If a kid is legit pro material right out of HS (ex. LeBron) & he can pretty much get an assurance that he'll be a 1st round pick let him go, but if they go to college they gotta stay for 2 years. A lot of these kids get exposed that 2nd year and that can determine if they're ready to go. As a UNC fan I can def attest to this. James McAdoo was predicted a top 5-10 pick last year while not even starting. After the season he just had Chad Forde don't even got dude in the top 20.

From a business perspective I could understand if he left after this season, but from a basketball perspective dude needs to be slapped for even thinking about the NBA.
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Put that ? at whatever if it means more talent coming into the league. I qualify that statement with the following rant.

I never messed with college ball heavy, but I decided to look in during this whole tournament thing.

Wow.

After hearing people tell me that college ball is better than pro ball because of how they "hustle," I left the situation with a change of heart after witnessing some of this extra hustle. I used to think players should get that bread and ? pumping up the NCAA, but I see I've just been cheerleading a lot of dudes up to get short bread when an extra year or two of polish could help them on the road to becoming solidified superstars. The players were hustling hard and accomplishing ? all for the most part.

Seriously. What good is all the speed in the world if you can't make a shot? Or a pass? Or a decision on when to shoot or pass? It was like watching a game at the rec. People chose squads based on how someone looked, dude they picked didn't make his first shot, and everybody was like, "Yo, ? that dude. I'm a show out!" Except everybody thought everybody else was that dude.

Made me appreciate a team like the Spurs. You don't have to "hustle" that hard if everybody does their part. Just because teams are running 40 miles to jack up 60+ points doesn't mean it's a better product.

• BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Hard to say, they might go for it, but at the same time they would be locking out legit 1 and done players, which would be kind of ? up, those players will lose out on millions and risk injury just because they have to waste a year or two in the NCAA.

I don't think they should require athletes to spend 2-3 years in college just because you have ? like Austin Rivers who overestimate themselves, and the teams draft them anyway.

They need to just stop blowing up the heads of some of these athletes coming out of college, if they already aren't.
  • BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It would also help if the NCAA lightened up on their amateur athlete rules, and allowed NBA players who are under the age of 25 to go back to school, and play in the NCAA if they find that they are not ready for the NBA.

They want the NBA to change their rules, but you don't see the NCAA trying to alter their rules one bit.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't understand how playing against inferior players make you better as a player, pro sports is the only place where this logic works.

This ? has nothing to do with players getting better, it's selfish mfs who want to see players playing college ball instead of going to the league.
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This whole arraignment between the NBA/NFL and the NCAA is all kinds of wack and so badly slanted in the NCAA's financial favour its a complete joke and should be scrapped completely.

Once you turn 18 you can do whatever the ? you want to do and enter the draft and take your shot at the NBA. If you want to play in the D-League for a year or two to develop your game go for it, if you were good enough outta HS you go straight to the L. ? the NCAA plantation ? .
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Many players are coming out less and less polish, for every 1 Kyrie or Durant or Rose or Love, you get like 10 Jarvis Crittenton, or Rodney White, Eddie Griffin, or Favors
  • nycest_1
    nycest_1 Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    Eventually NBA owners are going to start to fall back on drafting these one and done player because of lack of development like they did those run of players that tried coming from high school to the NBA and flopped right? Watching the NCAA Tournament, the quality of play and talent level of some of these players, especially the marquee star players, is just terrible. 99% of these dudes would get ate alive on an NBA court it seems and far too many draft picks have already been wasted on a player who was a one and done but then you gotta wait 3-4 years for development on the hope they can become something.

That ? does show another NCAA trend too. The one and done's are going to make it so the NCAA will truly be about the best TEAMS who been together 2-3 years not the best collection of individual players thrown together for 1 season simply making an NBA audition tape.

theres a certain stupidity in blaming the nba or forcing a rule.
    if the nba really really really didnt want 1 and done players, they wouldnt ? draft them.
    they have all the power in this situation.
    no lottery eligibility for anyone under 19 woulda been another safe way to enforce things
    this way players can come out at 18 and would have risks but it would weed out the bums and make gms draft smarter.

but like you said the college game is full of bums. its always been like that. out of all that bs theres only about 30-40 players that are good enough for the nba.
    i say move the age limit to restrict only the lottery and ? the ncaa
  • nycest_1
    nycest_1 Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    if anything these tournaments are such wildcards right now, that gambling is all ? up with the brackets (which is good for gambling)
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you force them to stay more than a year, then they just gonna go to Europe and ball for a lil bit and come back to get drafted. Especially since you got a dude like Josh Childress who was highly valued to his team over there. They paid this ? , on top of that they paid his taxes, provided him with a car and a crib.
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you force them to stay more than a year, then they just gonna go to Europe and ball for a lil bit and come back to get drafted. Especially since you got a dude like Josh Childress who was highly valued to his team over there. They paid this ? , on top of that they paid his taxes, provided him with a car and a crib.

then let them do that but i agree with dude earlier

either go straight from high school or stay in college 3 years