Will turned down the Django cuz his character would've been second fiddle to the bounty hunter

Options
KingJamal
KingJamal Members Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/25/showbiz/movies/will-smith-django-unchained-ew/index.html

When Quentin Tarantino's western revenge-fantasy "Django Unchained" was first announced, casting rumors pegged Will Smith as the titular slave-turned-vigilante.

But Smith, who teams with his son Jaden in this summer's sci-fi epic "After Earth," tells EW that he turned down the part because his character would've been second fiddle to the bounty hunter (played by Christoph Waltz) who teaches Django his trade.

"Django wasn't the lead, so it was like, I need to be the lead. The other character was the lead!" says the "Men in Black" star, whose departure opened the door for Jamie Foxx to play the role.
Smith says that before he left the project, he even pleaded with Tarantino to let Django have a more central role in the story.

"I was like, 'No, Quentin, please, I need to ? the bad guy!'" (Ironically, Waltz was considered a supporting actor during his Oscar-winning award season, while Jamie Foxx was promoted as the movie's lead.)

But no hard feelings: Smith was a big fan of the final product. "I thought it was brilliant," he says. "Just not for me."

Comments

• KingJamal
    KingJamal Members Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn Will telling it like it is. Big ups to Will
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Like I said in the already established, official Django Unchained thread...Django is only like the 4th most interesting character in that movie. I don't blame Will Smith. If my character's name is in the title, and i'm ? WILL SMITH...I better be the star.
  • HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    will is that dude but it woulda been odd with him in it.....everything happens for a reason
  • gh0st
    gh0st Members Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It worked out better without Will anyway. Sam Jack and Leo was the stars to me anyway Django was the vehicle into the world.
  • herbalism101
    herbalism101 Members Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    Like I said in the already established, official Django Unchained thread...Django is only like the 4th most interesting character in that movie. I don't blame Will Smith. If my character's name is in the title, and i'm ? WILL SMITH...I better be the star.

To you maybe, but that doesnt change the fact that the movie is about Django which makes him the star. Problem with Will is he has too much ego. More than he should have. His ego is what made him blow a milli when he was a huge rap star.

• Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    ... ehh will is cool.. but hes a scientologist and a safe ? ... i think that guides his choices.... he aint saying nothing.. it was better it wasnt him.. not sayin i dont like will just disagree on this tip

Exactly. His ego plus his safe ass choices is what prevented the dude from spreading his wings a bit by taking on a more challenging role than he's accustomed to. He's just saving face. This is a ? excuse considering how many movies there are where the lead actor has less screen time than the supporting players (Goodfellas, The Godfather and Burton's Batman come to mind for example). It's about the impact the lead actor leaves throughout the picture overall not how many times we literally see them on screen.

• focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options

To you maybe, but that doesnt change the fact that the movie is about Django which makes him the star. Problem with Will is he has too much ego. More than he should have. His ego is what made him blow a milli when he was a huge rap star.

You can be the "star", and still be upstaged. Anybody will tell you that Leo DiCaprio, Sam Jack and Christopher Waltz upstaged Jamie Foxx in that movie.
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How You Gonna Have A House ? Play Grizzled Bounty Hunter Out For Revenge?
  • Anti_matter
    Anti_matter Members Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Will is the same person who turned down the role of Neo. lol

• wilberdmillz
    wilberdmillz Members Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Will Smith's career >>>> Keanu Reeve's career

That statement is true, even if Will's career ended with Fresh Prince.

Neo is the only role in Keanu's career worth remembering, and I don't think it was because of his acting.

Devils Advocate?

Besides that you're correct.
  • bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ... ehh will is cool.. but hes a scientologist and a safe ? ... i think that guides his choices.... he aint saying nothing.. it was better it wasnt him.. not sayin i dont like will just disagree on this tip

/thread.
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    there just wasn't enough will smith in the movie for Will Smith to be in the movie. thats basically what he's saying.
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Neo is the only role in Keanu's career worth remembering, and I don't think it was because of his acting.

Devils Advocate?

Besides that you're correct.

SPEED
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure? Point Break? Speed? A Scanner Darkly? Thumbsucker? My Own Private Idaho? Devils Advocate? Street Kings (ok, the film wasn't great but Keanu Reeves's performance in that is actually impressive)? As limited as his acting range is the man has done good with what he's got and the opportunities he's taken. Agreeing to be in The Matrix when everyone else turned it down being one of them.

As nice a guy as Will Smith is he could seriously deflate his ego a bit and afford to take more of a risk with his film choices. With Will Smith trying to emulate Tom Cruise in becoming a film megastar; at least Tom Cruise has taken on supporting roles or more edgier roles at the height of his power. Even Leonardo DiCaprio was smart enough to take a supporting role in Django Unchained. Maybe the sheer magnitude of Christoph Waltz's performance in the film (and he was brilliant) made it seem like he was the lead, but Django was always written and intended as the lead so I'm not buying Will Smith's excuse.
  • wilberdmillz
    wilberdmillz Members Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Guess I need to watch Bill and Ted again, dont remember it that well.
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    he didnt want the role because it didnt jive with his image...smith will never star in a movie deemed controversial...i aint knockin his hustle though....son is caked
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    he didnt want the role because it didnt jive with his image...smith will never star in a movie deemed controversial...

True ? ..

and sometimes you just gotta be apart of something..