Will turned down the Django cuz his character would've been second fiddle to the bounty hunter

Options

Comments

• cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? Tarantino.

What happened with the Taharqa film?
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Guess I need to watch Bill and Ted again, dont remember it that well.

man that ? was trash
  • Anti_matter
    Anti_matter Members Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    he didnt want the role because it didnt jive with his image...smith will never star in a movie deemed controversial...i aint knockin his hustle though....son is caked

Basically the point I was trying to make...

Will turned down the Matrix role in order to film, "Wild Wild West"

“You know, The Matrix is a difficult concept to pitch. In the pitch, I just didn’t see it. I watched Keanu’s performance – and very rarely do I say this – but I would have messed it up. I would have absolutely messed up The Matrix. At that point I wasn’t smart enough as an actor to let the movie be. Whereas Keanu was smart enough to just let it be. Let the movie and the director tell the story, and don’t try and perform every moment.

• Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Matt- wrote: »
    there just wasn't enough will smith in the movie for Will Smith to be in the movie. thats basically what he's saying.

Well if your playing in a film called django and your django u should be the lead role
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    will smith ain't no ?
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maybe its just me, but i think its as simple as he said. His image is alpha dog, lead actor, etc. If he thinks he's above anything but an unquestioned lead, its b/c its true.

Jamie Fxx on the other hand, even with an Oscar, aint above bein second fiddle to a newby like Waltz. Sad, but true.
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    he didnt want the role because it didnt jive with his image...smith will never star in a movie deemed controversial...i aint knockin his hustle though....son is caked

Basically the point I was trying to make...

Will turned down the Matrix role in order to film, "Wild Wild West"

“You know, The Matrix is a difficult concept to pitch. In the pitch, I just didn’t see it. I watched Keanu’s performance – and very rarely do I say this – but I would have messed it up. I would have absolutely messed up The Matrix. At that point I wasn’t smart enough as an actor to let the movie be. Whereas Keanu was smart enough to just let it be. Let the movie and the director tell the story, and don’t try and perform every moment.

He has a point tho that movie isn't really him imo. I couldn't picture him in that role. Plus I think if he was in it Morpheus probably would've been white lol.
    How can y'all say Will ain't took on no challenging roles like playing the GOAT was an easy thing to do. That's the movie where I said Will can actually act. Its different to be an action star but when you can actually portray someone and make it believable then you have crossed over into something greater.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Will Smith's best acting is still Six Degrees of Separation.
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    Will is the same person who turned down the role of Neo. lol

Will Smith's career >>>> Keanu Reeve's career

That statement is true, even if Will's career ended with Fresh Prince.

Neo is the only role in Keanu's career worth remembering, and I don't think it was because of his acting.

Devils Advocate?

Besides that you're correct.

Speed, Dracula, My Own Private Idaho, Bill & Ted, Point Break.
  • Karl.
    Options
    rapmusic wrote: »
    and after all that stuff, the white man still takes home the Oscar in a ? movie about slaves smh. That's why Will didnt want it.

Yeah, because Will is all about the Oscar winning roles.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Karl. wrote: »

Co-sign everything but Dracula. Outside of Gary Oldman hamming it up in old man make up that ? was turrible.
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CopperKing wrote: »
    there just wasn't enough will smith in the movie for Will Smith to be in the movie. thats basically what he's saying.

Well if your playing in a film called django and your django u should be the lead role

he was the damn lead

who else was the lead actor? the guy smith was talking about here?

"Django wasn’t the lead, so it was like, I need to be the lead," he said. "The other character was the lead!"

oh that other character, meaning Dr. Shultz played by Christopher Waltz? He wasn't the lead:

Best Supporting Actor
    Alan Arkin, Argo
    Robert De Niro, Silver Linings Playbook
    Philip Seymour Hoffman, The Master
    Tommy Lee Jones, Lincoln
    Christoph Waltz, Django Unchained––WINNER

Django was the lead no matter how you twist it. It just wasn't enough of the lead for smith to take the role.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    edited March 2013
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Karl.
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »

Co-sign everything but Dracula. Outside of Gary Oldman hamming it up in old man make up that ? was turrible.

Ye. I don't really like that film either. It was a bit weird.

• Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »

Ye. I don't really like that film either. It was a bit weird.

Keanu's english accent was the WOAT. Winona was cute as ? though.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wild Self wrote: »
    and after all that stuff, the white man still takes home the Oscar in a ? movie about slaves smh. That's why Will didnt want it.

Will ain't saying the REAL reason why he ain't playing as Django: cause he's a slave. Will's mental scope is far better than a ? slave. He was the lead actor in many films and since he is one of the biggest stars in Hollywood, it would be pretty damn degrading to see him in chains speaking broken English.

With a Rick Ross track playing on the background.

In a slavery movie.

Where the N word is dropped more times than a rap album. By white people.

Will Smith is an inspiration to black entertainers everywhere. He and Denzel will never ? up in chains.

Will didn't accept the role coz he wanted to be its star. I think that's a cheap excuse. If you're good enough, you will be the star eg Will Smith in Independence Day. Leo and SLJ are big Hollywood A listers, and they were secure enough in their ability to accept the role, even with other stars.

Will's no inspiration to black actors. He's usually the only ? in his films. Then he chucks in a lil 'I'm black' joke.

Yeah the film (which didn't live up to expectations in my opinion, although Waltz and DiCaprio were dope) probably did better without him, but Will definitely thought the role was too risky for him to do.

Fair play to him though, he didn't get to where he is by takin' every role ? offered him
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Jamie Fox was really good in that flick, and I think he was better suited for the role anyways. He seems like he is better at playing a darker character.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options

Yeah, because Will is all about the Oscar winning roles.

He has been nominated twice. Just saying. He does try for it sometimes.

Six Degrees of Separation
    Ali
    The Pursuit of Happiness
    Seven Pounds
    The Legend of Bagger Vance

...and its not like Will Smith makes THAT many movies to begin with. You could probably count them all on 2 hands over a 20 year movie career. So, we can say 25% of the time, this ? is trying to win an Oscar.
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

he was the damn lead

"Django wasn’t the lead, so it was like, I need to be the lead," he said. "The other character was the lead!"

oh that other character, meaning Dr. Shultz played by Christopher Waltz? He wasn't the lead:

Best Supporting Actor
    Alan Arkin, Argo
    Tommy Lee Jones, Lincoln

Django was the lead no matter how you twist it. It just wasn't enough of the lead for smith to take the role.

You missed Will's point. Will was saying that even though Django was suppose to be the Lead, the supporting character was really the lead they way the script was written. He's 100% right. Christoph was the defecto lead. Django was basically a sidekick the entire movie until the last 15 minutes. To add insult to Injury, Django didn't even get to ? the main person responsible for putting his wife in chains. Waltz did. So not only did Waltz drive the story, he killed the main bad guy.

That's all Will was saying and I agree with him. Why are you going to name the movie "Django" and then go and have Django ? everyone who wasn't the main bad guy. To add insult to injury you make the last person Django kills another Slave. Will was smart to not take this role. Some of you act like Will would of won any awards for Django. How many Black people won something from Django? Oh yeah, NOBODY. Waltz won all those awards cause QT wrote a stonger role for him than for the damn lead of the movie.

So in closing Will was correct, Django wasn't not the lead even though that how it was on paper. Waltz was the lead, he drove the movie and story, Django did not. As for Will not taking risk. Will has his formula. I thought "7 Pounds" was different for him. Will does what works for him. So far so good as he's the most bankable actor in Hollywood. Jamie is taking anything at this point in his career. Jamie doesn't sell movies the way Will does.

the lead role isn't a subjective term. its pretty concrete.

I know what will was saying and thats fine. But he should have used a different word. that's all i'm saying
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So he's fine with playing "co-star" on all the Men In Black, Bad Boys & Independence Day movies?

bruh ?

look at the year those movies were made and come back
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

he was the damn lead

Best Supporting Actor
    Alan Arkin, Argo
    Tommy Lee Jones, Lincoln

You missed Will's point. Will was saying that even though Django was suppose to be the Lead, the supporting character was really the lead they way the script was written. He's 100% right. Christoph was the defecto lead. Django was basically a sidekick the entire movie until the last 15 minutes. To add insult to Injury, Django didn't even get to ? the main person responsible for putting his wife in chains. Waltz did. So not only did Waltz drive the story, he killed the main bad guy.

That's all Will was saying and I agree with him. Why are you going to name the movie "Django" and then go and have Django ? everyone who wasn't the main bad guy. To add insult to injury you make the last person Django kills another Slave. Will was smart to not take this role. Some of you act like Will would of won any awards for Django. How many Black people won something from Django? Oh yeah, NOBODY. Waltz won all those awards cause QT wrote a stonger role for him than for the damn lead of the movie.

So in closing Will was correct, Django wasn't not the lead even though that how it was on paper. Waltz was the lead, he drove the movie and story, Django did not. As for Will not taking risk. Will has his formula. I thought "7 Pounds" was different for him. Will does what works for him. So far so good as he's the most bankable actor in Hollywood. Jamie is taking anything at this point in his career. Jamie doesn't sell movies the way Will does.

close thread