Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeros/The Phantom Pain

focus
focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2014 in IllGaming
Phantom Pain + Ground Zeroes = Metal Gear Solid 5
Kojima on the future of Metal Gear.
by Daemon Hatfield MARCH 27, 2013

Today at a panel during the Game Developers Conference, developer Hideo Kojima confirmed that both The Phantom Pain and Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes make up Metal Gear Solid 5.

mg5.jpg

We also learned that The Phantom Pain is an open-world game. Says Kojima, "The tutorial itself is a sequence where Snake wakes up from a coma after nine years."

A gameplay demo showed Snake escaping a facility and avoiding unknown enemies.

We noticed David Haytor is not reprising his role as snake -- the new actor is unknown at this time.

A Fox Engine demonstration showed how realistic these games should look:

fox-engine.jpg

The trailer opens with what appears to be Snake falling into a coma. Doctors struggle to revive him. But then it switched to show what looked like an old Snake shooting people from a helicopter.

The footage we saw combined material from the Phantom Pain stealth Metal Gear trailer and the Metal Gear Ground Zeroes trailer.

What's it all add up to?

"FOX vs. XOF"

Metal Gear Solid V.

Snake's been in a coma for nine years. Kojima said that Snake's movement is constrained because of that coma. The opening parts of the game will therefore be linear. It will then switch to an open-world type of game.

This was capped from GameSpot's livestream of Kojima's GDC press conference. Watch that here or here.

The trailer was shown to hype the game, of course, but also to hype Kojima Productions' FOX Engine. To show off its potential for realistic visuals, Kojima and his colleagues showed off some images from some items rendered in the engine. These are not photos.

ku-xlarge.jpg
ku-xlarge.jpg

Here's the trailer: http://kotaku.com/metal-gear-solid-v-is-official-fox-vs-xof-update-t-461177345

Comments

• MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No David Haytor?....damn.....? gonna be ill....and its gonna take place during the les enfant terible project
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gotdamn ? looks mad tight
  • scoop1215
    scoop1215 Members Posts: 592 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    No David Haytor?....damn.....? gonna be ill....and its gonna take place during the les enfant terible project

think its going to be the guy that played big boss in mgs4 richard doyle because he's older now in this game.
    the les enfant terible project happened 1972 before peacewalker 1974.
  • scoop1215
    edited March 2013
    the guy doing voice acting for master miller sounds like Kiefer Sutherland lol in the demo kojima showed off
    i could see it now. damit boss we're running out of time, dam it chico i need those schematics lol
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9b2FoYMywc
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Day 1 ..... Special Edition ..... whatever ....
  • ChicagoBears
    ChicagoBears Members Posts: 758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man this series is the ONLY video game I still play. This looks like typical Kojima, will probably be another awesome game. This gameplay was painful to watch though lol. Can anyone identify who the character on fire was? It looks like homie from MGS3 (Volgin)...but I may be wrong
  • scoop1215
    It is volgin the young ? mantis is ? with big boss and ocelot is the guy on the horse helping big boss escape
  • scoop1215
    if anybody wants to check out the whole kojima conference showing off the fox engine here http://www.twitch.tv/gamespot/b/383054024 The Core of MGS: Ground Zeroes (GDC 2013 Panel) [11am PDT] the panel starts at 23 minutes into it
  • Phantom Pain
    Phantom Pain Members Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks too good. I can only imagine the fox engine running on a game like rising
  • themadlionsfan
    Man this series is the ONLY video game I still play. This looks like typical Kojima, will probably be another awesome game. This gameplay was painful to watch though lol. Can anyone identify who the character on fire was? It looks like homie from MGS3 (Volgin)...but I may be wrong

real talk....i got mgs hd collection....and the essential collection for ps2.....still couldnt bring myself to play that revengance ? thougu
  • scoop1215
    edited March 2013

real talk....i got mgs hd collection....and the essential collection for ps2.....still couldnt bring myself to play that revengance ? thougu

revengance was good they had a lot of story in it but u had to listen to all the codec calls to get it all.
  • reapin505
    reapin505 Members Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Annoyed bout David Hater not coming back but ? that looks dope. Another MGS to waste my life on. Thats the main reason I got a ps3 and if its on the ps4 will most likely be the reason I get. Amazing series and always gets me thinking in the end. Snake is the best character in gaming history in my opinion but I'm a fanboy lol
  • ImTheKangRoundHere
    ImTheKangRoundHere Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hope it's worth the money
  • themadlionsfan
    hope it's worth the money

There always worth the money
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • kanggoodie
    kanggoodie Members Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i just cant believe they are saying that shot of those guns and ? isnt a photo.... this engine is about to dominate next gen... i can NOT wait for ps4/durango for sure now.. oh yea this MGS bout to go hamburger
  • kanggoodie
    kanggoodie Members Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    got this from wiki:
    As in Peace Walker, The Phantom Pain will offer a base-building feature that allows player to develop weapons and items from their virtual motherbase. The player is also given the ability to access the motherbase from their real-life smartphones.[7] Series director Hideo Kojima revealed that the game has a new day and night cycle that runs in real-time, and that "depending on how you travel between one stage to the next, [the] travel time will affect the time of day when you arrive at your destination".[8] A new gameplay direction will allow the player to choose in what order the story events take place by selecting missions in any order they like, and yet still "understand the encompassing message by the end".[9][10]

Hideo Kojima has recently spoken about the restrictive nature of previous Metal Gear titles, saying that they "set [the player] on one rail to get from point A to point B, with a certain amount of freedom between". In stark contrast, Kojima's team will instead offer the player new ways of traversal and sneaking methods, such as taking a plane, helicopter or motorcycle to the mission area. This is in order for Kojima to accomplish a "true open world experience" with The Phantom Pain.
  • scoop1215
    edited March 2013
    kanggoodie wrote: »
    i just cant believe they are saying that shot of those guns and ? isnt a photo.... this engine is about to dominate next gen... i can NOT wait for ps4/durango for sure now.. oh yea this MGS bout to go hamburger

watch that link i posted up top. The Core of MGS: Ground Zeroes (GDC 2013 Panel) [11am PDT] the panel starts at 23 minutes into it. they show how they get the models in the game and the process of scaning it into the game then do a 360 virtual scan in the game engine itself. and they are trying to sell the fox engine to other developers for their games.

the pic with the guns on a shelf is kojimapro's conference room they used that as a base model to test objects they put into the game the one dev said he was playing around with it and a employee walked by thinking they put security cameras in the conference room thats how real it looks.
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    scoop1215 wrote: »

revengance was good they had a lot of story in it but u had to listen to all the codec calls to get it all. the sunny convos talking about octacon and how hes afraid to date since every woman he loved died lol and whats shes been up to the 4 years since mgs4, the sears (solidus) vr program they where putting the kids thru in this game etc.
    You should use spoilers on easter eggs.
  • scoop1215
    my bad i forgot
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Open worldish MGS?!
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meh I'll wait for thief 4 to come out
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭