What yall make of Freeway Rick Ross's continued battle over the brand name and rights to 'his' name?

international
international Members Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭✭✭
(AllHipHop News) “Freeway” Ricky Ross has vowed to continue to battle for his own name, after his most recent defeat in court.

Last Wednesday (March 21), a judge rejected “Freeway” Ricky’s claims that Warner Bros. stole his name and likeness, to boost the career of rapper Rick Ross born William Leonard Roberts II.

The latest ruling upheld previous Judges’ rulings that “Freeway” Ricky, who was released from prison in 2009, waited too long to file his lawsuit.

Under California law, publicity rights claims have to be made within the first two years of the publication of the objectionable material.

“We feel good about our case. This is classic republication as to all defendants there was consistently new music, management decisions and product made,” Freeway Ricky Ross told The Hollywood Reporter. “The statute of limitations was never meant to be used to hide defendant actively infringing with new decisions and campaigns.”

Similar rulings were issued against the former drug kingpin in November of 2010 and in August of 2012.

Comments

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why you put "his" in quotations, You tryna say that's not homie's name?

In any event I don't see what the courts don't get...Rozay Ross was clearly using Ricky Ross' name as a marketing tool. True enough Noreaga, Capone & Scarface are doing the same but I don't think Al Capone or Manuel Noriega are alive to give a ? .
  • international
    edited March 2013
    I put speech marks over 'his' because has he really got grounds on this unrelentless pursuit? And according to Californian Law claims have to be made within the first 2 years, so the ship been sailed...And the same can be said of Curtis Jackson and his use of 50 Cent and countless other rappers...

And Noriega been alive and still is to this day.
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • nycdiesel
    nycdiesel Members Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dog barkin at the moon.
  • sully
    sully Members, Writer Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jono wrote: »

In any event I don't see what the courts don't get...Rozay Ross was clearly using Ricky Ross' name as a marketing tool. True enough Noreaga, Capone & Scarface are doing the same but I don't think Al Capone or Manuel Noriega are alive to give a ? .

Well, part of the difference b/w Capone & Noreaga using those names are that they use then as nicknames, and one can easily say they are alluding to Al Capone & Manuel Noreaga, but neither Capone nor Noreaga insist that those are their real names nor have they usurped the stories of Noreaga and Capone and insist those are their life stories.

William Roberts does that. And does that with the full name and lifestory of someone else. Profiteering off it. It's probably as close to identity theft as one can get without actually stealing the person's credit cards or bank information.
  • soulbrother
    soulbrother Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess if "Freeway" Ricky Ross wins this case....the ? who invented the actual "freeway" will sue that ? to stop calling himself "Freeway Ricky Ross"...smh
  • international
    sully wrote: »

Well, part of the difference b/w Capone & Noreaga using those names are that they use then as nicknames, and one can easily say they are alluding to Al Capone & Manuel Noreaga, but neither Capone nor Noreaga insist that those are their real names nor have they usurped the stories of Noreaga and Capone and insist those are their life stories.

William Roberts does that. And does that with the full name and lifestory of someone else. Profiteering off it. It's probably as close to identity theft as one can get without actually stealing the person's credit cards or bank information.

Your argument is not serious at all...You say that Nore uses it as a nickname and don't insist that its his real name or that he lived like the real Noriega, but since when has Ross claimed that Rick Ross was his real name and that he shared that same life? Sure, he's alluded to it various times via his music, but so has Capone or Noreaga, I don't see the difference, except that Ross was able to use it to his advantange and implement his marketing strategy whereas it would become beneficial.
  • A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Most Ross fans had no ideo where that name came from..

2. If Freeway Rick really turned his back on the game, he should cut all ties to it...This whole thing is petty and stupid and he's not proving anything...

• international
    A1000MILES wrote: »
    1. Most Ross fans had no ideo where that name came from..

That always proves to be the case tho...
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I put speech marks over 'his' because has he really got grounds on this unrelentless pursuit? And according to Californian Law claims have to be made within the first 2 years, so the ship been sailed...And the same can be said of Curtis Jackson and his use of 50 Cent and countless other rappers...

If that's true then he lost but I don't think he would be able to keep bringing lawsuits if its already proven that he doesn't have standing.
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty much the bottom line:

beating_a_dead_horse.jpg
  • international
    edited March 2013

If that's true then he lost but I don't think he would be able to keep bringing lawsuits if its already proven that he doesn't have standing.

He's clearly being stubborn about it, he prolly wanted Ross to cut him a check or giving him a piece of the pie, by including him in his business, cuz I agree that its pointless at this point, seems like he's trying to target Ross's career and image more than anything else, cuz he ain't winning that kind of battle in no court in the world, specially given his background...

On another note, ? could have worked out good for both of them, if he was acting as Rozay's advisor or had a role or some ? like that, ? would have worked out for both of them, and Ross the rapper would have had less heat on his back in the streets and in terms of credibility too.
  • $tayRichROLLIN
    $tayRichROLLIN Members Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Waist of time. Niccas clearly don't give fucc nor does the court. As a man though u fight for your name and reputation . This is why I don't understand why rozay has such a following. Rozay hasn't incorporated any of his real life into his music.
  • SupremeXXV
    SupremeXXV Members Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    He just needs to drop it...He ain't gonna win a court battle.
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dude should quit while he's behind
  • whitecracker
    whitecracker Members Posts: 406
    he cant really win the case though he needs to give it up
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    dude makes a million selling coke, finds out he was unknowingly assisting the CIA, gets a life sentence, manages to get out, only to find an obese corrections officer has stolen his name to launch his rap career. lol wtf
  • $tayRichROLLIN
    $tayRichROLLIN Members Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Waist of time. Niccas clearly don't give fucc nor does the court. As a man though u fight for your name and reputation . This is why I don't understand why rozay has such a following. Rozay hasn't incorporated any of his real life into his music.

I could careless.

I listen to the artist's music. His personal life means nothing to me.

Yea a artist personal life is personal until he opens up about it then he's fair game. Then you open yourself up to be critiqued. He offered up his life stories about him and his carol city cartel , boobie boys and so on and so. So yea his personal life means something now
  • international

I could careless.

Yea a artist personal life is personal until he opens up about it then he's fair game. Then you open yourself up to be critiqued. He offered up his life stories about him and his carol city cartel , boobie boys and so on and so. So yea his personal life means something now

to whom? lmao, yall ? me.
  • A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could careless.

Carol City Cartel is a rap group...Boobie boys are real, and he was really associated to Boobie...Soooo...
  • J.Clinton
    J.Clinton Members Posts: 413 ✭✭✭

Square ? ..how da ? do u know???

• StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Freeway Rick Ross is a joke
  • Rock_Well
    Rock_Well Members Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seem the Real Rick Ross argument is that since there is continual and multiple infringements the statute of limitations is not expired in regard to those offenses. He must be on to something otherwise officer Ricky wouldn't start using the name Rozay all of a sudden
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would fight dat case 2... I wouldnt want ? 2 think I condone ? ...
  • G.Avant
    G.Avant Members, Writer Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's not the same the real 50 cent was dead when the rapper started using it and that's not his government name. People need to understand that this is dude government name we're talking about not just a nickname. How anybody could say the real Rick Ross is in the wrong for this is beyond me.