Why are people so impressed by lower level basketball players?

bow to royalty
bow to royalty Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
I thought about this because i was reading the NY/mecca of basketball thread. And I'm not trying to debate that in here, but people were saying it's the home of streetball and ? . I've never got why people give all this credit to random ass dudes on the street. Like when Durant went out and ? on them dudes at the Rucker. NBA scoring champ lights up dudes that don't play defense, and aren't pros, and people go crazy.

If AP trucked some random guy no one would care because he's done it to pros. If Mayweather boxed some random dude in the street and KO'd him he wouldn't get any additional credit...he's a pro. I dunno ? about baseball but if a top pitcher went to some playground and was strikin dudes out left and right, no one's impressed. But when NBA players show up to the Rucker, and Drew league it's amazing when they cross someone. Where'd this low ass standard come from with basketball?

Comments

• almighty breeze
    almighty breeze Members Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's still exciting to watch. the play itself. and idk about AP or Mayweather getting credit but it'd stll be funny as hell or something to see. Watching a dude light up a basketball court is great spectacle no matter the comp level
  • bow to royalty
    it's still exciting to watch. the play itself. and idk about AP or Mayweather getting credit but it'd stll be funny as hell or something to see. Watching a dude light up a basketball court is great spectacle no matter the comp level

That's what I mean. Why? I don't look into it too much cuz they aren't going against pros. Seeing someone get KO'd is always entertaining. Floyd wouldn't even waste his time boxing someone not ranked in the top few in the world. Just basketball players play random nobodies and hometown heroes, and it's a serious thing.

And the crazy ? is there's only so much basketball talent out there. There's just 2 rounds in the draft and they don't even have to pick someone in America. So it's not like there's just tons of real talent out there to go against.
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The game is different on the street. In many situations it's more predicated on 1 on 1 skills and very loose team concepts.

The disparity in talent probably isn't as big as you'd like to believe all the time. Some dudes don't make it to the league for reasons other than their relative skill level.
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought about this because i was reading the NY/mecca of basketball thread. And I'm not trying to debate that in here, but people were saying it's the home of streetball and ? . I've never got why people give all this credit to random ass dudes on the street. Like when Durant went out and ? on them dudes at the Rucker. NBA scoring champ lights up dudes that don't play defense, and aren't pros, and people go crazy.

If AP trucked some random guy no one would care because he's done it to pros. If Mayweather boxed some random dude in the street and KO'd him he wouldn't get any additional credit...he's a pro. I dunno ? about baseball but if a top pitcher went to some playground and was strikin dudes out left and right, no one's impressed. But when NBA players show up to the Rucker, and Drew league it's amazing when they cross someone. Where'd this low ass standard come from with basketball?

Good ass point.

Never understood that either. But B-ball to most nikkas is looked at in the same light as hip hop. Which is why so many rappers wanna be ballers and vice versa.

So they view streetball nikkas in the same light as "underground battle rappers" and NBA players as "mainstream". Like the ? is a artform or just entertainment instead of an athletic event.

That streetball ? never impresses me. And I cringed when I saw those Durant highlights, because in the back of my mind I'm thinking if one of those ashy ass, salty, broke streetball nikkas ? around and injure this nikka, it would be one of the dumbest injuries in history.

The next time you think some raggedy street nikka is "good enough to play in the league but too real for the league". Think about Serge Ibaka and all these Brazilians and Euros playing in the league now.

If NBA Scouts will go to the violent congo, the slums of war-torn Serbia, and Drug Cartel ridden streets and villages of Brazil to find talent...

...Why haven't they signed this raggedy nikka who lives 10 minutes from Madison Square Garden?
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because people get small victories out of small occurences.. even playin amongst peers there is always some cats that get amped up..for the smallest ? ..

and then its just the confrontational aspect of basketball where people can get bested at any given moment.. alot of people assign victories to meager accomplishments.. rather than winning the game.. ? be like "? i dropped 8 points.."

Well ? you took that L though..

• O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013

Good ass point.

Never understood that either. But B-ball to most nikkas is looked at in the same light as hip hop. Which is why so many rappers wanna be ballers and vice versa.

So they view streetball nikkas in the same light as "underground battle rappers" and NBA players as "mainstream". Like the ? is a artform or just entertainment instead of an athletic event.

That streetball ? never impresses me. And I cringed when I saw those Durant highlights, because in the back of my mind I'm thinking if one of those ashy ass, salty, broke streetball nikkas ? around and injure this nikka, it would be one of the dumbest injuries in history.

The next time you think some raggedy street nikka is "good enough to play in the league but too real for the league". Think about Serge Ibaka and all these Brazilians and Euros playing in the league now.

If NBA Scouts will go to the violent congo, the slums of war-torn Serbia, and Drug Cartel ridden streets and villages of Brazil to find talent...

...Why haven't they signed this raggedy nikka who lives 10 minutes from Madison Square Garden?

Well said. good job.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because they don't play the sport themselves, so they're impressed with lower levels of play.

This is part of the reason why I can't watch college ball for a long time. Dude's straight up suck.
  • bow to royalty

Good ass point.

Exactly. They're draftin players from all over the world and the draft is still only 2 rounds. There can't be that much talent just walkin around on the streets. There are dudes in the NBA that everyone will call a scrub that'll ? on the people in these rucker/drew league games.
  • CallMeWelvin
    CallMeWelvin Members Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because it's fun to watch and random ? can happen.

Remember LeBron getting dunked on and all rhw videos being confiscated and deleted?

Remember that chick dropping buckets on Telfair?

That old white guy beating Michael Jordan im a shooting contest.

It humanises players.
  • bow to royalty
    I mean the opposite of that. Lebron dunking on that kid. Telfair scoring on a girl. Jordan beating an old white guy in a shooting contest. Only in basketball do GOAT's compete against random dudes with no kind of resume, and fans it eat up like an amazing feat.
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean the opposite of that. Lebron dunking on that kid. Telfair scoring on a girl. Jordan beating an old white guy in a shooting contest. Only in basketball do GOAT's compete against random dudes with no kind of resume, and fans it eat up like an amazing feat.

Word, professionalism is a synonym of consistency to me. Goes back to that "even a broken clock is right twice a day" saying.

I bet if I ran one-one-one CB/WR drills with Roddy White I would I shut him down on about 2 out of 100 reps. lol.

And if my homeboy got a cell phone video of those 2 reps the internets would be clowning roddy.
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PimpMVP wrote: »

Remember LeBron getting dunked on and all rhw videos being confiscated and deleted?

It humanises players.

Got damn.. I got some Googling to do...
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    PimpMVP wrote: »

It humanises players.

Those weren't random people off the streets. Both of the people in these instances were pros, though. Cappie Pondexter and Jordan Crawford? Both of them can ball.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somebody let me know when Brian Scalabrine goes to the Rucker and lights up the court.
  • bow to royalty
    edited April 2013
    Somebody let me know when Brian Scalabrine goes to the Rucker and lights up the court.

haha, he was in the NBA. He has a ring. ? the Rucker
  • (Nope)
    (Nope) Members Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look up "The Scallenge", lot of people called him out, so he played a series of 1 on 1 games with 5 different players and made them look silly.

Scal would be a Rucker legend.
  • NYETOPn
    NYETOPn Members Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    not so much impressive, but ? can be entertaining to watch
  • [Trillmatic]
    [Trillmatic] Members Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NYETOPn wrote: »
    not so much impressive, but ? can be entertaining to watch

^^^^This is the only reason. Y'all ? doin too much.
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088 Members Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Entertaining yea but ? that say "so and so" can play in the league don't know basketball. When dudes like A.I. went to the rucker it wasn't just him being quicker or more athletic. He was smarter than everyone else. The cuts, the positioning, the IQ, etc. Critics have tried to make basketball a "naturally athletic sport" thats doesn't require skill or intelligence and it's quite the opposite. ? people don't even realize how good you have to be to make it to an average d-1 school. I agree those lower level players might be entertaining but they don't impress me at all
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088 Members Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guarantee you scalabrine would ball at the rucker, he'd have to do it playing through the team but he would play well
  • Co_Town_Michael
    Co_Town_Michael Members Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scal would be bustin ? ? at Rucker.
    The worst bench ? in the league would ? on those playground legends.
  • almighty breeze
    almighty breeze Members Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    failed hoop dreams turn into projections of everyman ? trying to live vicariously a lot of times too.
    ? feel like that COULDA been them if __ didnt happen
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    (Nope) wrote: »

Look up "The Scallenge", lot of people called him out, so he played a series of 1 on 1 games with 5 different players and made them look silly.

Scal would be a Rucker legend.

I thought you was joking. But Scal is a monster! Im on the 2nd video now
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013

HELL NO! WTF are you talking about? First off you need to understand the difference between system players and players that can get their own shot.

Scal can't create his own shot, not to mention dudes would just destroy his morale by embarrassing him on defense every chance they got. Scal ain't doing ? against rucker legends but getting an occasional rebound and maybe an open jumper or two.

If you would have said 1v1, then he would have a fighter's chance, but in game? LOL HELL NO!

2nd you need to understand that in basketball the offense supersedes the defense times 100. Whoever you think the best wing defender in the NBA is, would still get lit up by certain playground legends just because. The only way you can completely shut down someone at that level is if you allow hand-checking, and even then dudes will ? up and start calling fouls.
  • Co_Town_Michael
    Co_Town_Michael Members Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

HELL NO! WTF are you talking about? First off you need to understand the difference between system players and players that can get their own shot.

Scal can't create his own shot, not to mention dudes would just destroy his morale by embarrassing him on defense every chance they got. Scal ain't doing ? against rucker legends but getting an occasional rebound and maybe an open jumper or two.

If you would have said 1v1, then he would have a fighter's chance, but in game? LOL HELL NO!

2nd you need to understand that in basketball the offense supersedes the defense times 100. Whoever you think the best wing defender in the NBA is, would still get lit up by certain playground legends just because. The only way you can completely shut down someone at that level is if you allow hand-checking, and even then dudes will ? up and start calling fouls.

? .
    Are you stupid, dumb or slow?
    Which one is it.

Oh wait you one of them ? who think those Rucker legends were too real for the NBA.
    ? outta here ? .
    Actin like Scal was some ? who got into the league even though he can't play.
    The white mamba can obviously play but you riding those Rucker ? nuts too hard to see.

Scal could probably impose his will on those playground ? i he wanted to.