"Rap killed the soul singer"

Options
124»

Comments

• Garv*
    Garv* Members Posts: 474 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I'd argue that rap killed the significance of using musical instruments aswell. Rap is a poor excuse for music if you judge it objectively.

Cosign, most of these rappers are straight trash, and damn near all of them except like 5 are trash musically.

Most pop stars/rnb stars are trash musically as well. You get the few talented ones like Bieber(yes bieber) and Miguel etc who can play instruments as well as sing, but a lot of them can just about sing. How many of them are playing instruments, producing their own ? , furthermore how many of them are evn writing their own ? ?

Thats one thing you can at least give rappers credit for, there work is their work, and a song like this from a artists like Future would have been hit for the right rnb singer, even though a lot of rap fans would consider him a joke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIrhcTkHX_A
  • BarryHalls
    BarryHalls Members Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Check out Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings.

A present day band trying to capture the sound of the 60s-70s soul/funk. They record strictly analog and try not to ? with modern day digital recording. Heres some tracks of their latest album. Theres good music out there. You just gotta dig and stop paying attention to mainstream ? .

"Longer & Stronger"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=764fJMKLWGM

"Aint No Chimneys in The Projects"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTTKkmdG-F8

"Im Not Gonna Cry"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_FyoqSMwac
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    real ? question...

WHERE THE ? IS THIS GENERATION'S "WHAT'S GOING ON?"

think about that for a second.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHoLn_QCnRM

its a conspiracy. No wonder people are so selfish these days
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The people killed soul singing. It's just easy to blame rap but the peeps don't wanna hear about love making ? because that's not where they head is at.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    real ? question...

WHERE THE ? IS THIS GENERATION'S "WHAT'S GOING ON?"

think about that for a second.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHoLn_QCnRM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTrnI-XKEH0

closest thing
  • BelovedAfeni
    BelovedAfeni Members Posts: 8,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    IMO Disco and Funk kinda put the nail in the coffin of the average soul singer
    Also u had artists starting to take control of their careers (Marvin Gaye, Sam Cook and Ray Charles) and if u look at history of music publishing is where the long money is made...our Jewish brothers ain't having that #Fact
    Videos made it hard for the ugly fat or ? singer to still get that guacamole, and image started getting more play than talent and performance.
    Hiphop is promoted because u can get paid 3 times or more on ur investment
    and u can cross promote it better than most of the other forms of music i.e. R&B remixes, Clothing lines, beefs and arrests, Mixtapes and cliques
    and when ur artist gets out of hand
    hit him with a sexual assault charge (Tupac), interview him and have him say "I wouldn't snitch" (Camron), or expose his ? lyrics (Ross)....OK the last one was a stretch.
    Lack of fathers and business sense made hiphop easier to manipulate...most soul singers came from a church background and returned when they left the music also they had family as the center growing up.
    Hmmmm
    The media loves to throw the young against the old and keep everyone separated and chaotic
    Plus black people don't look out for the older generation of entertainers like others do
    When these group go overseas old and young go to their concerts.
    My parent never schooled me on alternatives to HipHop I learned it from reading the credits of the albums and digging in the crates

Long story short Rap isn't the cause so much as an effect, and check the publishing alot of the "Soul" singers were robbed especially most of the ones that are sampled by rap artists. When u making money u dont have time to complain. #Fact
  • BelovedAfeni
    BelovedAfeni Members Posts: 8,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    IMO Disco and Funk kinda put the nail in the coffin of the average soul singer
    Also u had artists starting to take control of their careers (Marvin Gaye, Sam Cook and Ray Charles) and if u look at history of music publishing is where the long money is made...our Jewish brothers ain't having that #Fact
    Videos made it hard for the ugly fat or ? singer to still get that guacamole, and image started getting more play than talent and performance.
    Hiphop is promoted because u can get paid 3 times or more on ur investment
    and u can cross promote it better than most of the other forms of music i.e. R&B remixes, Clothing lines, beefs and arrests, Mixtapes and cliques
    and when ur artist gets out of hand
    hit him with a sexual assault charge (Tupac), interview him and have him say "I wouldn't snitch" (Camron), or expose his ? lyrics (Ross)....OK the last one was a stretch.
    Lack of fathers and business sense made hiphop easier to manipulate...most soul singers came from a church background and returned when they left the music also they had family as the center growing up.
    Hmmmm
    The media loves to throw the young against the old and keep everyone separated and chaotic
    Plus black people don't look out for the older generation of entertainers like others do
    When these group go overseas old and young go to their concerts.
    My parent never schooled me on alternatives to HipHop I learned it from reading the credits of the albums and digging in the crates

Long story short Rap isn't the cause so much as an effect, and check the publishing alot of the "Soul" singers were robbed especially most of the ones that are sampled by rap artists. When u making money u dont have time to complain. #Fact
  • rantanamo
    rantanamo Members Posts: 79 ✭✭
    Options
    I think the blending of cultures is what killed off the soul singer and is killing what we once knew as black music as far as having a unique sound. Kids, more and more are growing up in similar cultures. Even if you grow up in the worst hood today, you are exposed to Beiber, Gaga, Lil' Wayne. Even when I was growing up, black culture was still very seperate. Especially music.
  • Gold_Certificate
    Gold_Certificate Members Posts: 13,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "Rap killed the soul singer"
    And not a single ? was given.

• dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Real Lady1 wrote: »
    The jazz poet was killed in the range of fire also. I use to feel I was a hiphop fan in the beggining, but then I started to see what the old folks was saying about it. They say hiphop is artform, but music before hiphop was about messages, and hiphop killed the message. I really dont look at RAP as a EVIL like everyonelse, because RAP been around before hiphop. Like what do you call a artist like gil scott heron today? A artist like this is rappin in my opinion. but get no respect as "hiphop".

They thought in the reason that I grew up anti hiphop, because my feelings changed thru the years. I use to think I was walking talking hiphop, until I seen the truth about the "artform".. and the hiphoppers do not give respect where respect is due. There are alot of regions and people that helped develop the art form of hiphop. It wasnt just newyork music. It didnt belong to one state or region.. People want to fight and ? over hiphop. When u think about it hiphop is poisin just like the old folk said it was, hiphop killed alot of parts of music.. and hiphoppers are too bias.. What is the hiphop revolution, what are they fighting over a STATE? a REGION? back then people were fighting for the PEOPLE as a WHOLE.. The real revolution, wasnt about states or REGIONS.. it was about a MESSAGE to the people...

http://youtu.be/wOeUpKCCSVQ

Chuck D, Doom, Rakim, Wu, Mos, Common, and Nas all ? on your post. No messages? Yeah, if you let the radio dictate what you hear, then I guess you won't get a message.
    Much respect to the old school, but Hip Hop is the only form of music where you have the space to speak about 100 topics in just one song (stream of consciousness). Most soul singers of today, though I respect and love the old school, can only say "I love you," "I miss you," or "I hate you," (yes I know that there are exceptions) Also some of the old school soul singers should be a little grateful since samples fees are still putting money in their pockets.
  • Ioniz3dSPIRITZ
    Ioniz3dSPIRITZ Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    we are in an era of instant gratification... people have become disillusioned with hard work.

life is hard work.

kids are hard work.

marriage is hard work.

love is hard work.

love dont love no body cause the vast majority of you give up before you even get started... let your highschool experiences dictate the way you chart the rest of your lives... wake up.

I agree. Our music is an indication of where we are as a culture. The vast majority of blacks and a growing number of Americans in general are being raised single parent environments. This greatly attributes to how we view relationships. If we didn't grow up seeing a healthy relationship between a man and women how will we know what a healthy relationship is? This misunderstanding is eventually going to reflect in our music. Which it already has.....
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think Mary J did some damage too. She got famous off of biting other people's ? . It can't be good for a genre when one of it's biggest stars at the time wasn't bringing any original music.
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Soul singers killed soul music.

Real soul music was hitting a peak again when D'angelo, Badu, Maxwell, Arie, Jill Scott, Bilal, etc. ushered in "neo soul" and re-introduced timeless music for the young generation. During the 80's, soul was fused with pop, disco, and funk; then, in the 90's, hip hop and R&B created new jack swing, hip hop soul and other forms of crossover music. Neo soul hit and soul music was all over the mainstream; late 90s early 2000s... Then you had artists bucking the name, the ? got lame, and everybody stopped ? with em. They killed themselves; IMO, regardless of whether or not you like the title "neo soul", it helps the consumer relate and understand what he/she's wanting, asking for, and getting. It makes the music more accessible to its fans. You got one wanting to be called rock, one wanting to be called gospeldelic (smh).. keep it real. If you aren't diggin through music online and in the shops like I was and still do, you wont know ? about the soul scene that has been going on non stop. Thanks to amazon (e.g. its "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought" feature) and a few sites created specifically for neo soul, I'm able to enjoy the genre but lets face it; most Americans ain't got the patience to search for good music. What needs to happen now is a resurgence of young talented and creative soul singers who are able to bring something fresh and exciting to the table like Badu, Scott, D'Angelo, Bilal and Maxwell once did.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • N YO HOOD
    N YO HOOD Members Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i would say this is true there's a reason why most news outlets who dont know call Chris brown a rapper because these rnb cats carry themselves and sound just like rappers
  • Say What
    Say What Members Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Soul always has a spot just because its not on the radio its not dead. Lots of good albums still being produced
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We got robin thicke and justin timberlake
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Say What wrote: »
    Soul always has a spot just because its not on the radio its not dead. Lots of good albums still being produced

of course.. but its not being disseminated in the same fashion.. its not everywhere.. as this pop ? is.. music can move a culture.. can galvanize and sprinkle some gems.. every once in a while and it can do the opposite to a greater effect.....and it has just moreso than the other mediums..
  • Say What
    Say What Members Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

of course.. but its not being disseminated in the same fashion.. its not everywhere.. as this pop ? is.. music can move a culture.. can galvanize and sprinkle some gems.. every once in a while and it can do the opposite to a greater effect.....and it has just moreso than the other mediums..
    Everything goes in cycles but there was always pop music. I din't think it is underground as much as it niche. There is no need to promote much because your base is what buys your albums. With most pop & rap they have to be everywhere because the album isn't as quality.
    Some people change because of finances. Marvin wasn't making sexual healing in the 60's & 70's but he did later because it was what people wanted

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Everything goes in cycles but there was always pop music. I din't think it is underground as much as it niche. There is no need to promote much because your base is what buys your albums. With most pop & rap they have to be everywhere because the album isn't as quality.
    Some people change because of finances. Marvin wasn't making sexual healing in the 60's & 70's but he did later because it was what people wanted

there is pop music and there is POP music based on my own views... it will take to long to explain. so ill leave it at that
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    I blame Drake.
  • esco soprano
    esco soprano Members Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Perfect wrote: »
    Perfect wrote: »
    ? it i'll say it gotdammit.

it's past time muhfukkas stop being so got damn graphic in their music.
    got dammit, i need some music to play around my kids. THEY 8, 9, & 10 AND KNOW WHAT THE ? THESE ? AND ? BE SAYING!!!

for ? sake people.
    it's time for music to have a lil bit of decency and stop sounding like the ? matchmaking screen of a Halo game.

real talk.

what the ? happened to disguising ? behind metaphors?

have rappers AND SINGERS ALIKE gotten so gotdamn lazy that they can't top mother ? "toot it and boot it"

i did all that cursing on purpose... now imagine me saying that in your car, which is full of your children....

aight now back to yalls usual over analytical and pseudo-intellectual ? ....

Man I'm wit you on dis

but

I dont think

it is the artists fault that labels only push ignorance. when are we gonna start really going at the heads of who is responsibleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ahhhhhhhhhhhh *yanks dreads*

i knew this post was coming....

i cant help it yo

its like

? mad at the employee for givin them 5 chicken nuggets for $5

like "yo why the ? yo ? so expensive man stop bein a ? , you know i deserve 10 nuggets"

as if its the employees fault

IF you dont OWN the ? you dont have CONTROL. PERIOD.

LMAO.......true and hilarious way to make a point. I ususally do deserve 10 tho.