New Batwing

Options
Lou Cypher
Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anyone been reading this title? from what ive heard is they are replacing Batwing with an MMA fighter and giving him a new Suit that is supposedly better than Batman's. Not sure if dude still fights in Africa or not, i havent been following the title. But the new suit looks ? dope, anyone read this and able to drop some info on it?

Comments

• indyman87
    indyman87 Members Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I read on a website that the New Batwing is Luke Fox, the son of Lucious Fox, one of Batman's supporting character.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Here's the article that inspired the thread.

It's rare that secrets are able to be kept when it comes to comic book characters. Recently it was revealed that Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray would be taking over BATWING. They also announced they had plans to replace David Zavimbe as Batwing with someone else. There was immediate concern over the fate of David and some outcry over why this change was needed. The fact is, the change was necessary and it will be fun and exciting. (Note: there will be spoilers below for BATWING #19).

2962312-1.jpg

David Zavimbe as Batwing made his debut in BATMAN INCORPORATED, Volume 1 #5. He was recruited, in a sense, by Batman to become part of Batman Inc. What this really meant was Batman saw something in him. He saw the burning passion to right the wrongs in his country. Batman wasn't trying to insert his beliefs or ideals upon another nation but felt with his money and resources, he could help develop another fighting force for good. Giving David the tools he needed to become Batwing was his way to try to help rid the word of evil.

2962314-2.jpg

David as Batwing didn't quite work on two fronts. As mentioned in BATWING #19, David just didn't feel right being part of Batman Inc. The bat-symbol wasn't who he was. In short, he didn't quite fit into the Bat-mythos. This isn't to say he wants to give up his fight. He still strongly feels the need to dedicate himself to doing all he can. He just doesn't feel doing it as Batwing is the answer.

The reality of it is, this is for the best. David is a great character, one that shouldn't simply disappear. He deserves to be something more than just another Bat-character. He had no ties to Batman or Gotham City so it never really made sense for him to be part of the 'family.' In order to involve him (and the title) in Night of the Owls, the story had to come up with a reason for him to be in Gotham despite wanting to focus on the troubles in his own nation.

The other fact is despite having fans, the series wasn't doing too great in sales. Again, the reason was David didn't really have a strong connection to Batman and the others in Gotham. When the interactions did come up, it felt a little forced. By bringing in a new Batwing with a stronger connection to Gotham and Batman, David is still able to fight his battles but on his own terms.

2962317-3.jpg

In BATWING #19, we get a glimpse at who the new Batwing will be. It turns out Lucius Fox's son, Luke Fox, will be joining the Bat-Family in a big way. Who is Luke Fox? It might not be official but we may have seen Luke Fox previously in Batman Beyond, as Lucius Fox Jr. This goes along with their description of him being "a new character but [we] may have seen him before."

While Gray and Palmiotti may not want to confirm or deny it is the same character from the animated series, it makes sense that they could be, even if the Batman Beyond Universe isn't necessarily 100% guaranteed to be the future of BATMAN.

Luke Fox is a MMA fighter. He's been doing it for four years at this point. That gives him a certain level of training that would allow him to stand a chance in Batman's Family. A new suit has been developed, ironically enough by Lucius Fox. The level of tech contained in the suit is beyond anything that Batman himself wears. It almost feels as if it's a predecessor to the familiar suit Terry McGinnis later wears.

2962320-4.jpg

The fact that Batman is bringing in Lucius Fox's son is a huge risk. This is what gives the story a nice new twist. Lucius is not aware of Batman's true identity. We would think he would have to have some suspicions especially due to the fact he's a brilliant man. But it could be that Bruce Wayne puts on a great act.

2962336-5.jpg

We're seeing Batman become more and more dependent on the tech developed by Fox and Wayne Tech. Fox doesn't approve of his son fighting and would clearly be completely against Luke becoming a costumed crime fighter, especially after what happened to Batman's own son.

Hopefully we haven't seen the last of David Zavimbe. Luke Fox adds a new element to the Bat-Family. It will be fascinating to see his fighting style combined with the tech of the new Batwing suit. It may not be a situation everyone would approve of but this opens the door to some very intriguing stories. I can't remember the last time I've been this curious and interested in a 'new' character. Let's just hope he survives long enough for us to see what he's fully capable of.
  • DrMindbender122
    DrMindbender122 Members Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I bought the issue where the new Batwing, just haven't had the chance to ready it yet.
  • Sour-Cream
    Sour-Cream Members Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Batwing and Nightwing should tag team and have their own comic. GOAT move.

batwingno11c.jpg
  • Sour-Cream
    Options
    new Batwing suit
    batwing_cv20_02.jpg
    BATWING_19_gatefold_02.jpg
  • Sour-Cream
    Options
    Batwing >>> Batman, It's a wrap
  • lion_heart
    lion_heart Members Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hold up they replacing the ? already?
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lion_heart wrote: »

Yes cause the dude was boring and his comic book sold like a Hell Rell album.

I personally stopped caring about that book halfway through the second arc. It had promise with Winnick at the start and then went to ? and I stopped reading it. I think the Batwing that was written in Batman Inc (especially Leviathan Strikes) was way better than the version we got in his own solo title anyway.

The thing is though I don't see sales changing just because they're replacing the guy under the armor. I'm a big fan of Palmiotti and Gray the new creative team too. Bottom line is though that the majority of the people that buy comic books are white boys and they will never care to follow a black superhero no matter how compelling he might be. So I see this book still getting cancelled in the long run.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    I thought thread was about the Batplane
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    so batwing is black but he got replaced?

black green lantern >>white green lantern guy
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    John Stewart is the best Green Lantern for sure, The new one simon baz is pretty dope too tho.
  • Broddie
    Options
    Top Cat wrote: »
    so batwing is black but he got replaced?

He was a character that was actually original and unique to the DC universe in many respects and is now being turned into another Black Panther and Iron Man ripoff. It's not so much that he got replaced but that he got remixed into something more generic than he already was. They can't win with that ? .
  • lion_heart
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »

I personally stopped caring about that book halfway through the second arc. It had promise with Winnick at the start and then went to ? and I stopped reading it. I think the Batwing that was written in Batman Inc (especially Leviathan Strikes) was way better than the version we got in his own solo title anyway.

The thing is though I don't see sales changing just because they're replacing the guy under the armor. I'm a big fan of Palmiotti and Gray the new creative team too. Bottom line is though that the majority of the people that buy comic books are white boys and they will never care to follow a black superhero no matter how compelling he might be. So I see this book still getting cancelled in the long run.

So you saying in the end it ain't gonna matter. They will eventually cancel it? ? buy comics too. I tried keeping up with it each month but now I'm just waiting for the volume you sets.
  • Broddie
    Options

So you saying in the end it ain't gonna matter. They will eventually cancel it? ? buy comics too. I tried keeping up with it each month but now I'm just waiting for the volume you sets.

Bro first off the amount of african americans that actually purchase comic books is likely less than 2% of the comic book buying demographic and that's being generous. Secondly this book ranks outside of the top 100 every single month and sells less than 13,000 copies on a consistent basis. Bet that probably 1,000 to 1,5000 at most of that 12,000 and change is even black.

It's nice that you want to at least buy the trades but the survival of the book relies on monthly sales profits and clearly they are not meeting DC's monthly sales expectations for the book if they're already revamping it less than 2 years after it launched. If books with more critical acclaim and similar sales like I, Vampire keep getting the axe you can bet Batwing won't be far behind if the revamp doesn't at least provide a significant monthly sales boost.
  • lion_heart
    Options

Bro first off the amount of african americans that actually purchase comic books is likely less than 2% of the comic book buying demographic and that's being generous. Secondly this book ranks outside of the top 100 every single month and sells less than 13,000 copies on a consistent basis. Bet that probably 1,000 to 1,5000 at most of that 12,000 and change is even black.

It's nice that you want to at least buy the trades but the survival of the book relies on monthly sales profits and clearly they are not meeting DC's monthly sales expectations for the book if they're already revamping it less than 2 years after it launched. If books with more critical acclaim and similar sales like I, Vampire keep getting the axe you can bet Batwing won't be far behind if the revamp doesn't at least provide a significant monthly sales boost.

Damn I'm heated. Only like 2%. And Yeah I hear you about buying it mostly I've been buying comics for so many years I'm running out of space. I got lazy over the months and volume sets are cheaper. Also tried keeping up with Static before it got cancelled. Thanks for the info