Capcom exec disappointed with Darkstalkers Resurrection sales, DS4 probably not gonna happen

Options
grumpy_new_yorker
grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
Enthusiasm for title 'misread,' according to Vice President

Capcom senior Vice-President Christian Svensson has expressed disappointment with sales for Darkstalkers Resurrection.

Taking to the Capcom Unity forums, Svensson acknowledged that the title had ranked well in digital sales charts, but had still not met the company's expectations.
"Sadly, it's not as high on that list as it really needs to be successful," he posted. "We're working on promotions and the like to improve the situation. We've not given up.

"But I'm disappointed in the opening sales response relative to any other fighting title we've put out on the same platforms given the frequency and urgency of requests we've had here over the last several years and the quality of the execution."

Svensson thanked those who have supported the series, and admitted that the company may have overestimated interest in a Darkstalkers reboot. "I'm more disappointed by my misread of the information in this particular case," he said.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/400424/capcom-exec-disappointed-with-darkstalkers-resurrection-sales/

Darkstalkers Resurrection was the 7th best selling game on psn for the month of march.

1.) MLB 13: The Show
2.) Journey
3.) The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct
4.) Terraria
5.) Tomb Raider
6.) BioShock Infinite
7.) Darkstalkers Resurrection
8.) Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D’s Decade Duels Plus
9.) Call of Duty: Black Ops II
10.) I Am Alive
11.) Grand Theft Auto IV
12.) Dynasty Warriors 7 Empires
13.) Mass Effect
14.) Just Cause 2
15.) NBA Jam: On Fire Edition
16.) Sonic Adventure 2
17.) NBA 2K13
18.) Deus Ex: Human Revolution
19.) Army of Two: The Devil’s Cartel
20.) Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection

Comments

• RichPorterOfTheIC
    RichPorterOfTheIC Members Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It didn't do numbers before why did they think it was gonna do big numbers this gen? And besides 5 of the games on that list are major retail release. Can't compare sales of a digital download only title to something like the only good baseball game or the poor mans uncharted or 1 of the most hyped releases of the year.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yeah i wouldnt compare it to full disc releases. its the 2nd or 3rd if you just count psn only releases.

How did it do on xbl?
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? isn't really fair to be honest. Remakes\Ports only appeal to those people that are really nostalgic about a game and really want to play it. You're lucky if that's half the people that played the original. Considering that DS was never a big seller, the fact that this game ranked at 7th best seller should be considered a success.

If they don't want to make a DS game, that's fine, but they shouldn't tie it to the success of a remake. They should evaluate what they can do with the game and how good and exciting a game they can make, and then proceed. Let's be real. They put a lot of money into making SFxT and people were unhappy with the gameplay and some of the game mechanics so it fell flat. I guarantee you that if they made a DS game that was more in line with what general fighting fans wanted, it would do a lot better than SFxT even without the extra star power.
  • stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That is straight up idiot logic. They're really trying to gauge gamers' level of demand and/or interest in a new Darkstalkers game using the sales numbers for the re-release of the old ass Darkstalkers game? That doesn't make any sense. I get that it's basic business and they don't want to take a huge financial risk by investing in a reboot of this dormant series without knowing if it'll sell but there has to be a better way to get an idea of the selling potential of a brand new Darkstalkers game than this.
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I guess Darkstalkers is dead
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    turned alot of ppl off when they didnt even use the best version of the game that has all the characters

I didnt buy it but I wouldve bought Darkstalkers 4 on day 1
  • stoneface
    edited April 2013
    Options
    If it was up to me, I'd throw that ? up on Kickstarter. Let the people who want to see the game made fund it directly. Capcom might feel like they're above that, though.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    honestly i hoped it wouldve been a rival schools remake.
  • stoneface
    Options
    Sion wrote: »

? even that would've been dope too & a better pick over Darkstalkers, but ? Capcom loooove to ignore ? SMMFH. That was a classic, if they won't do Powerstone then at least give us Rival Schools remake.

Those are even less popular than Darkstalkers, though. I know they have their fans but if Capcom is hesitant about rebooting the more well-known Darkstalkers, there's no chance they'd even consider rebooting Rival Schools or Powerstone, which are also worse games in my opinion.

• stoneface
    edited April 2013
    Options
    stoneface wrote: »

? even that would've been dope too & a better pick over Darkstalkers, but ? Capcom loooove to ignore ? SMMFH. That was a classic, if they won't do Powerstone then at least give us Rival Schools remake.

Those are even less popular than Darkstalkers, though. I know they have their fans but if Capcom is hesitant about rebooting the more well-known Darkstalkers, there's no chance they'd even consider rebooting Rival Schools or Powerstone, which are also worse games in my opinion.

In terms of mechanics and as an overall game nah fam those 2 were way better (but to each his own). Powerstone was successful on the Dreamcast but the Dreamcast's shell life stopped it from expanding. Rival Schools took arcades by storm as one of the first complete 3D fighters Capcom made that pros could take seriously.

They prolly won't bring back Powerstone but Rival Schools should get a remake. You know how many characters & references Capcom has ripped from Rival Schools ? Akira's skull & bones gang attire is all over MVC3, Kyosuke in CvS2, Batsu's moveset, Shoma inspired the creation of Jin in MVC1 & Yun and Yang in SF3, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, Megaman. It's incredible that they'll take so much from it but still put it on the back burner. A remake with better graphics is all we asking, I know that can't be a difficult thing to do. Just smooth out the polygons and their good.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did an HD remake or something like that for either one of those games. ? , they even just did one for Jojo's Bizarre Adventure but I thought you were talking about them rebooting those series. That would be cool but based on how they're handling the Darkstalkers situation, I wouldn't be checkin' for that any time soon. Have you played Powerstone or Rival Schools recently, tough? I had great memories of those games from way back like everybody else so I actually played them a couple months back and they were alright but they did not age well. To me, the Darkstalkers games still hold up nicely and are better overall.

• Bcotton5
    Options
    they said they cant do Rival Schools because of trademark clearance issues.

IDK why they havent done Powerstone but Im assuming its the same reason since ppl have been asking for it for years now
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    yea Powerstone was good button mashing fun but it would probably get old really fast playing it competitively online

It doesnt help that you can already play All 3 Darkstalkers games on GGPO/MAME emulators online for free

I regret paying 15 bucks for that MVC1 and Marvel Super Heroes pack game, I played that ? 1 time LMAO, already couldve played them for free on emulators
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    And Sion still ducks and dodges playing me in SF4,MVC2,SF3,SF2 etc....

stick to putting your controls on easy mode
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    I barely play any of those games anymore and you still scared to play me lol
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    I wouldn't mind playing a new Powerstone game. It wouldn't be a bad move for Capcom. Since it's just a fun party game, they wouldn't have to put quite as much into the production of it as they do a traditional fighter. Hell, even an HD release of Powerstone 2 on the PSN would be cool. At least you'd have a huge pool of people to play against on multi-player.
  • Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    wasnt darkstalkers ressurection just some old games put together in a collection? i already got them ? on my pc emulators why would that sell? just make a new ? game capcom
  • theBlackbeard
    theBlackbeard Members Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tried to catch that fighting game comeback wave and failed lol. They can always appear in a vs game tho.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol @ 7th place... right before yugioh at 8th

tough market out here
  • BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Serves them right.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    I like the Vs series, but it would be cool if Capcom made a purely Marvel game and a purely Capcom game with the the versus mechanic.