'House Party' Appreciation Thread

Options
focus
focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
Dope, dope movie that I think everyone loves, but it doesnt usually get mentioned along side the great Black films like it should. This movie basically birthed another classic, Friday, and still holds up today. Easily one of the most funny, energetic and actually accurate/relatable Black movies made. The masses agree apparently, the movie is sitting ata surprising 96% on Rotten Tomaotes.

From what I remember of the sequels, part 2 was...passable, but we can pretend no other House Party movies existed after that (again, Friday).

You cant have a House Party appreciate thread without the two best scenes in the movie....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1l5PFs2eTc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m77YDJZEBrc

Comments

• Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    you late xbox ?
    get lost, to the dungeon with ye
  • focus
    edited April 2013
    Options
    How did it birth Friday?

Just from a tone/storytelling perspective. That whole "series of unfortunate events" style where they are weaving in a bunch of different characters and side-stories to tell an overall narrative. If you look at House Party and you look at Friday, there is no other (hood) movie really like them inbetween. Dont take that too literally though, Friday takes it to whole other level, but you can see the seeds planted in House Party. It's more or less just to say that while Friday is universally loved and always mentioned when it comes to Black films (and rightfully so), House Party doesnt always get the same recognition.
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Picked up all three off of amazon for tha lowski
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    House Party has wayyy too many memorable moments which are still funny up to today.
  • young_reezy
    young_reezy Members Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    imagine actually seeing it when it dropped at the theater, the hype and excitement watchin it on the big screenw as amazing, one of the best movie experiances I can remember... I know i'm old.
  • T-Rel
    T-Rel Members Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I only liked the first 2.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1 was classic.

2 very good

3 had quotables
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I cried two tears in a bucket, ? it!!!
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Were parties actually like that? that ? would be live, I would be at house parties all the time.
    and if that is the case when did it change to where people always have problems and can't just party and have a good time?
    nowadays you gotta worry about a ? getting shot or fighting.
    hate to say it but being in college can't really party with black people too much.
    something is always bound to pop off.
    white people only know one thing "tonight we bout to get ? up"
    why is it so hard for my people to just sit back and have fun sometimes without trouble
    i'm trying to have fun see ? shaking they ? all that extra ? .
  • joshuaboy
    Options
    J-Breezy wrote: »
    Were parties actually like that? that ? would be live, I would be at house parties all the time.
    and if that is the case when did it change to where people always have problems and can't just party and have a good time?
    hate to say it but being in college can't really party with black people too much.
    why is it so hard for my people to just sit back and have fun sometimes without trouble

Yep ......... parties were just like that. No ? popping off ... nothing. All you had to worry about was cleaning the walls and house the next day.
  • focus
    Options
    I read Will Smith and Jazzy Jeff were originally supposed to star. Probably would've been PG then...and Will Smith can't dance.
  • real_hh_rep
    real_hh_rep Members Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
    Options
    This is classic. Too many funny moments to name, Lol , and countless one-liners. I can't type one lame or annoying character in this movie, everybody was so original and colorful. It carried positive message too. And George Clinton had classic cameo in it. What happened to black movies like that?
  • illestni99ainne
    illestni99ainne Members Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All because some ? , head like a rocket, stick your finger in a socket. Punk muthafucka named Kid! Lmao damn i love this movie
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »

Yep ......... parties were just like that. No ? popping off ... nothing. All you had to worry about was cleaning the walls and house the next day.

Until that one ? got to ? and it was over lol
  • illestni99ainne
    illestni99ainne Members Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This thread made me put part 3 in just now. Wasnt their best out the series but that ? had mad quotables
  • focus
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Kid was too old to be still gettin whoopins. Dude was like 17.
  • ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raxwaJoEEjQ

GOOOOOOAAATTTTTT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's basically what house parties was about back then. Wasn't nobody getting shot or none of that, just ripping the dance floor and just having fun
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

B/c ? are too busy tryin to playin alpha male. They rather post up on a wall or corner, than have a good time.
  • king hassan
    Options
    It's funny when I watch this movie again all the cameos you see of actors when they were just starting out
  • joshuaboy
    Options
    It's funny when I watch this movie again all the cameos you see of actors when they were just starting out

Yep ........ Martin, Pops, Joe Torre all had minor parts
  • king hassan
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »

Yep ........ Martin, Pops, Joe Torre all had minor parts
    Stanley from Friday is on there too and dude that played on VIP and Living Single
  • mindright
    mindright Members Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As GOAT as the movie is, it ? me the ? off that I never got to experience it because of dumb ? . I couldn't wait to grow up to party like that. By the time I was that age, parties and dances lasted all of an hour before ? came through shooting ? up. Hell, a dude I knew back then used to hop in the Chevy 10 or 11 deep just to go let off rounds in the air at dances to get em shut down.

One of the few times I honestly contemplated some ? police snitching. He used to just sit in Biology bragging about the ? to me while everybody up front was complaining about somebody shooting at the dances. After that, it was like why even bother? Soon as a party or dance would get live, here come the Chevy, here come the shots, and here come popo.

• king hassan
    Options
    KNiGHTS wrote: »
    As GOAT as the movie is, it ? me the ? off that I never got to experience it because of dumb ? . I couldn't wait to grow up to party like that. By the time I was that age, parties and dances lasted all of an hour before ? came through shooting ? up. Hell, a dude I knew back then used to hop in the Chevy 10 or 11 deep just to go let off rounds in the air at dances to get em shut down.

One of the few times I honestly contemplated some ? police snitching. He used to just sit in Biology bragging about the ? to me while everybody up front was complaining about somebody shooting at the dances. After that, it was like why even bother? Soon as a party or dance would get live, here come the Chevy, here come the shots, and here come popo.
    SMH Ole Lil Dice ass ?