Apple Promises "New Product Category" for 2013

Options
focus
focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
Tim Cook confirms "exciting" new product for later this year.
by Scott Lowe
April 23, 2013

During today's Q2 earnings call, Apple CEO Tim Cook alluded to an "exciting new product category" to be announced this fall. While Cook wouldn't offer any additional insight, his comment confirms persistent rumors that Apple will move beyond its existing range of smartphone, tablet, laptop, desktop, and media player products. It remains unknown if Cook was referring to the company's long-fabled smart TV or recently rumored development of an iOS smartwatch, but one thing is clear, Apple has something up its sleeve for the latter half of the year.

What do you think Apple's mystery product could be? Would you buy an Apple-branded TV or smartwatch? Sound off in the comments section below.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/23/apple-promises-new-product-category-for-2013

Comments

• StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    probably that smartwatch ? but i wouldn't buy it.. i don't even use watches..
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hope it's a virtual reality gaming console
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    it's because they are hurting, i seen as far as the cell phone market Android has caught up to them, they were talking about it on cnn money one day. the stock has been dropping in worth constantly for awhile now
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    SMMFH

Apple is all over the place, Tim is having a hard time allocating that capital. They should focus on the core businesses they already have instead of trying to create new ones. They're doing what Japanese companies did/do & if you look at majority of Japanese companies or their index, Nintendo is the only one with above average returns (and by North American standards they're mediocre). Why bother with a new product category when you can concentrate on & completely dominate your own ? Sometimes I wonder what goes thru the minds of these CEOs. I think on Bloomberg I seen they plan to do a $50 billion dollar bond sale SMMFH. Why would you sell debt to raise cash to reinvest if you've already got something like a hundred billion in the bank ? SMMFH @ Tim Cook taking financial advice from Sony on how to build a business.

Well, part of what has made Apple successful in jumping on new technology trends and blowing them up. They did it with smartphones and tablets. So trying to build on some new device is just an example of Apple being Apple.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I dunno, I think they have too. Apple really doesn't sell that many different kinds of products. Like @CottonCitySlim said, they losing market share with the iPhone. iPods are definitely on their way out with cloud services taking over. That leaves iPads and Macs...and the money they make off iTunes. It is time for something new...
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They need to stop ? around and make a console
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zombie wrote: »
    They need to stop ? around and make a console

a virtual reality gaming console