A stupid comparison or legitimate complaint???

Options
cobbland
cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2013 in From the Cheap Seats
aa48858aac2111e29e6f22000a9e2992_7.jpg
Why is Derrick Rose held to a different standard than Jay Cutler?

BY RICK TELANDER

rtelander@suntimes.com
Last Modified: Apr 23, 2013 09:56AM

NEW YORK — He comes out before the game, sits on the Bulls’ bench and starts to lace up his new Adidas D Rose 3.5s.

Derrick Rose is ever friendly, ever courteous, so you ask him, ‘‘When are you going to play?’’

He doesn’t say anything, just smiles. Not a happy smile. Not a sarcastic smile. But a smile that, if I’m reading it correctly, says: ‘‘I wish I knew.’’

‘‘How about those shoes?’’ you say, just for conversation. ‘‘They weigh, like, 12 ounces ?’’

‘‘Less than that, I think,’’ he replies, taking an unlaced shoe off his foot and handing it to you for inspection.

This is not an arrogant superstar, people, but it might be a confused one. Surely, it is.

Rose hasn’t played in almost a year since having surgery on his left knee, and he didn’t play in the Bulls’ 90-82 victory Monday against the Brooklyn Nets that evened their playoff series 1-1.

Could the Bulls use Rose? Could Noah — the one from the Bible, not the one on the Bulls — have used an animal trainer?

The Nets are a very beatable team. The Bulls beat them three times in four tries during the regular season. With their star point guard back and playing, who knows how good they could be?

‘‘Did you know that when Rose, [Luol] Deng, [Joakim] Noah and [Carlos] ? all play together, we win 86 percent of our games?’’ general manager Gar Forman says.

Now I do.

But that quartet almost never has been healthy together. Noah has plantar fasciitis that makes him look as though he is running on egg yolks as he hobbles up the floor. Other players are hurting, too.

But there is Rose, just watching the games.

How do you plan for injuries, you ask Forman.

‘‘I don’t know,’’ he says. ‘‘I don’t know.’’

One has to wonder how Rose’s waiting period would have been handled — he has been cleared to play and has been practicing for weeks, remember — if it were, say, Bears quarterback Jay Cutler doing the hesitation thing.

Let me answer myself by saying it would be a stone-cold disaster, maybe a fan and media insurrection or oil-frying.

If Cutler stood in street clothes on the Bears’ sideline during games after throwing tight, spiraling 30-yard out patterns to Brandon Marshall and bombs to Earl Bennett during warmups, he would be savaged by all.

He already was attacked by just about everybody for standing blank-faced on the sideline after injuring his knee in the first half of an NFC Championship Game loss to the Green Bay Packers in January 2011. And it was, indeed, an injury, despite the nasty tweets that doubted Cutler’s guts and duty.

The next season, Cutler suffered a broken thumb and finished the game with the injury before having season-ending surgery. And he got no credit for that whatsoever.

What’s the difference here in perspective? What’s the difference in the treatment of two players at the pinnacle of Chicago sports interest and scrutiny?

Clearly, it is fan favoritism and empathy. Rose is Chicago’s own, a sweet guy who will call just about anybody older than he is ‘‘sir’’ and is polite to a fault.

Cutler? He came from the Denver Broncos by way of Indiana and Vanderbilt, and a sneer often has seemed to be his best friend. No matter that the guy plays every game while battling Type 1 diabetes, a brutal thing in itself, or that he gets smeared by huge, angry defensive linemen whenever there is a major breakdown. Oddly, there isn’t much sympathy for him.

But D-Rose? Everyone loves him — and rightly so — but the warm feeling is starting to fray as his hesitance to return continues. Rose has admitted he just doesn’t ‘‘feel’’ right yet. He has acknowledged his reluctance to play is mental, not physical.

As far as we know, his surgery went fine and there were no glitches. So his refusal to play is personal, not due to bad science.

As Bulls announcer Stacey King notes, Rose has seen similarly injured NBA players Iman Shumpert and Ricky Rubio come back from their surgeries and not play very well.

‘‘But I’ll tell you this,’’ King says. ‘‘It’s killing him not to play.’’

And yet he seems able to. Forget the fact these are the playoffs and he hasn’t played all season.

If this series goes on, he could get in there for a few minutes and relearn on the fly. It could make a difference.

And remind him how lucky he is not to be Jay Cutler.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/19658177-419/why-is-derrick-rose-held-to-a-different-standard-than-jay-cutler.html

Comments

• txboi_09
    txboi_09 Members Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I didnt read the post but its probably cause Jay Cutler is an ? lol
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If Jay Cutler brook his leg ? would say he gave up on his team and there's no excuse for him to be on the sideline.
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cutlet doesn't get the benefit of the doubt because of his personality.....truth be told the author of this article answered his own question
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Could it be Bears fans are more hungrier for the diamonds than Bulls fans? '85 is a looooong time ago. Cutler is an ? tho.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yea it's a double standard and fair comparison
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ocelot wrote: »
    If Jay Cutler brook his leg ? would say he gave up on his team and there's no excuse for him to be on the sideline.

This. Oddly enough I remember being one of the few ? defending Cutler for that ? tho.

• Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I seen Culter get his ass whipped when he was in the SEC with the worst team in the conference..

So I never questioned his toughness.

And I never question anyone's injury.
  • Lebong James
    Lebong James Members Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    of course

derrick rose is a ?
  • tanktank
    tanktank Members Posts: 56 ✭✭
    Options
    Derrick rose has the capability of being a hall of fame player though. he already been mvp......young as hell. cutler is just another quarterback, who is apparently not even like anyway. rose has a lot more to lose if he aint ready when he comes back. I dont really see a double standard here at all.
    you have the hometown hero, mvp who turned the team around that everyone loves vs. some ? thats average at best, whos most likely wont lead the team to ? .
    rose is like a marriage proposal (it has to be perfect, and youll wait for the right time)
    cutler is like asking a girl out (just do the ? already)
  • coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    tanktank wrote: »
    Derrick rose has the capability of being a hall of fame player though. he already been mvp......young as hell. cutler is just another quarterback, who is apparently not even like anyway. rose has a lot more to lose if he aint ready when he comes back. I dont really see a double standard here at all.
    you have the hometown hero, mvp who turned the team around that everyone loves vs. some ? thats average at best, whos most likely wont lead the team to ? .
    rose is like a marriage proposal (it has to be perfect, and youll wait for the right time)

Smh. Best QB yall have had in years
  • Jdilla26
    Jdilla26 Members Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The love for Rose compared 2 Cutler in this city is not even close especially the media. Cutler is perceived as a ? compared to Rose humble demeanor. Plus this will be all forgotten by the he start killing next season
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cutler is a ? . He brought it on himself. He deserves it.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah, it's clearly because Cutler is a ? and Rose by all accounts is a likable dude.

That said, I don't see how anybody can not question Rose's heart at this point. Dude has gotten every possible pass there is to play by his own admission. His reason for not playing is that he's not mentally ready. Come on now. I've never heard a real competitor in any sport say that.
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah, it's clearly because Cutler is a ? and Rose by all accounts is a likable dude.

That said, I don't see how anybody can not question Rose's heart at this point. Dude has gotten every possible pass there is to play by his own admission. His reason for not playing is that he's not mentally ready. Come on now. I've never heard a real competitor in any sport say that.

Word. He ain't no killa.
  • tanktank
    tanktank Members Posts: 56 ✭✭
    Options
    coop9889 wrote: »
    tanktank wrote: »

Smh. Best QB yall have had in years

true, but ? him
  • JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

see i dont get the bolded.. man IMO this ? aint about heart its about using ur ? head. He knows hes young as hell and should have a long successful career.. if he aint ready WHY come back..because the same ones saying "ahh you should come back because ur cleared by the docs" wil be the same ones backing alll the way back from their statements if he lets says comes back and re injured his knee

the only part that i think D.Rose messed up was acting like he was going to lace em up this season.. like dragging the fans and media along.. i was saying it from the beginning he wasnt playing this year.. and he should have been real about that.. but man making sure your 1000% for longtivey reasons >>>> than playing cuz people are questioning you heart.
  • bow to royalty
    bow to royalty Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jusdre313 wrote: »

see i dont get the bolded.. man IMO this ? aint about heart its about using ur ? head. He knows hes young as hell and should have a long successful career.. if he aint ready WHY come back..because the same ones saying "ahh you should come back because ur cleared by the docs" wil be the same ones backing alll the way back from their statements if he lets says comes back and re injured his knee

the only part that i think D.Rose messed up was acting like he was going to lace em up this season.. like dragging the fans and media along.. i was saying it from the beginning he wasnt playing this year.. and he should have been real about that.. but man making sure your 1000% for longtivey reasons >>>> than playing cuz people are questioning you heart.

I disagree with this cuz doctor's cleared him. Chicago's doctors are thinking with their heads too. They know Rose getting hurt and messing up his career is a problem. So if they cleared him, they think he's alright to play. And he's out there practicing and ? . He could at least be comin off the bench and getting a feel for things. If it didn't feel right, and he said he couldn't go I don't think people would be mad at him. But dude's not even lacin up. We've all seen what great players with heart do. Rose isn't doing that, so I lost some respect for him.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jusdre313 wrote: »

My point is, dude is ready. From a physical standpoint he himself has admitted that everyone who matters has cleared him physically and he feels physically fine to come back. His reason for not coming back has always been that he's not mentally ready yet. What does that even mean? Is he saying that he can't go out there and play without being scared he'll get hurt again? That's a matter of heart. Every player goes through that, but the ones with heart get over it and get out there and help their team.

The thing that kills me about it all is he had the perfect situation. The Bulls were already in the playoffs and doing pretty well without him. So he could have phased himself back in at his own pace. It's not like he had to come back playing 40 mins a game, which a lot of real competitors would have done let's be honest. He could have come in playing 10 mins a game and increased as he saw fit.
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm glad the media is callin this ? out.Rose soft and mentally weak his rep has taken a major hit situations like this makes you question this ? heart and mental makeup.Aint no way in hell duke should miss 18 months for an acl injury he'll still have the same mental hurdles in oct/nov that he woulda had in march