Is Doc Rivers overrated?

Options

Comments

• ShadyWorldOrder
    ShadyWorldOrder Members Posts: 711 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    Doc Rivrs never had any previous coaching experience came straight from broadcasting to be a coach then as soon as he got the big 3 the 1st year he won a championship no way shape or form is Doc overrated.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Doc Rivrs never had any previous coaching experience came straight from broadcasting to be a coach then as soon as he got the big 3 the 1st year he won a championship no way shape or form is Doc overrated.

SMH
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Doc Rivers used to coach the Magic
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i don't think he's rated at all. he's rarely talked about as being a great coach
  • Jdilla26
    Jdilla26 Members Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    I mean he won Coach of the year for going 41-41 and missing the playoffs. The squad was wack but still. Coaches get harped on for less

To me that when coaches were actually getting COY for actually coaching not b/c you have the best record with the best players. Yea he went 41-41 with that Magic and missed the playoffs but come on man Darrell Armstrong was his best player lol. I think he is a great coach very good instincts.
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GOAT'd for a Darrell Armstrong reference
  • ShadyWorldOrder
    Options
    No

Doc Rivers used to coach the Magic

I know I was saying he came straight from broadcasting no previous coaching experience but when he actually got a real squad with like the Big 3 he won a championship the 1st year. He had some previous squads in Orlando (Growing Pains)but he has grown into great coach in Boston. Right now I cant say he is overrated in no way shape or form
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    Yes
    How is he a great coach?

What do he do that makes him great.

Thibs > Doc
  • Jdilla26
    Jdilla26 Members Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    The term overrated is used loosely on the IC all the time. I don't think he is there with Pop because Pop is on a threshold of the Greatest Coaches Ever. To me as far as the League now besides Pop I can't name a better coach. He manages his team for runs in the playoffs better than lot of coaches last year he was win a way from his 3rd NBA Finals appearance with a team that everybody thought was done. Injuries and old age took a toll on this Celtic team but its like u can never count this squad out with Doc coaching them. And I'm not mad at anybody saying Thibs >Doc I'm very bias when it comes that lol
  • coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    How is he a great coach?

Thibs > Doc

Using your own logic, what has thibs done that Doc hasn't done?

Cant say ? ...

I can say Doc won a ring as a head coach.
  • mike06
    mike06 Members Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yeah I get that Thibs is a great defensive mind but he hasn't really done anything since getting a HC job other than win a COY award and losing in the playoffs....Doc at least made it all the way to the top as a HC.....he's not overrated by a long shot cuz other than Pop how many really good coaches are out there anyway that have been as consistenly good as Doc

I can see this question being asked about Spo soon(if it aint already being asked)
  • ShadyWorldOrder
    Options
    No
    How is he a great coach?

Thibs > Doc

Nothing.....Nothing @ all
    large_doc-dtern.jpg

• #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kinda overrated
    Doc is a solid coach but he seems to only be able to work with veterans. The only reason the celtics have did so well after his first few seasons is because he had vets that knew and accepted smaller roles for the greater good of the team. Those vets helped guys like Kendrick Perkins, Rajon Rondo and Avery Bradley get better. Perkins before Garnett got there barely got run. I've seen interviews were Rondo and Bradley attributed there game getting better due to the vets more than the coaching staff.

A great coach knows that sometimes they have to switch or tweek there system to fit the players on there team. A great coach will give info to the front office to get the correct players to help them maximize the teams effort.

Doc is a good coach not a great coach. Doc was the coach of that Orlando squad with McGrady that never could get out of the first round. I know they had lots of injuries but one season they were up 3-1 in a playoff series and still lost the series!
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    Yes
    How is he a great coach?

Thibs > Doc

Nothing.....Nothing @ all
    large_doc-dtern.jpg

I guess coach Spo is Phil Jackson 2.0
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    Yes
    Thibs had the C's with one of the best defenses in the league and now have the Bulls with the best D

And Boston is ? in D. Rotations is wack they don't know when to double.

What does Doc do with his teams that make you say "that's a doc coached team right there"

• Shizlansky
    Options
    Yes
    This ? rotations is average.

Bruh, he had Bass on LBJ last year and making Bass guard Melo a lot this year.

If yall think that's great coaching yall can have that ? .
  • CallMeWelvin
    CallMeWelvin Members Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No

Size on size bruh. Why tire Pierce out on defense when he's the only real threat on offense.
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    his son is ass tho
  • P swayze166
    P swayze166 Members Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He only gets the high respect and props cuz the coaching pool is so garbage....I remember a time when poppovich wasn't even in the top 5...coaching done fell off B
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kinda overrated
    He only gets the high respect and props cuz the coaching pool is so garbage....I remember a time when poppovich wasn't even in the top 5...coaching done fell off B

Pop's 3rd season coaching he won an NBA championship. So you either remember before he started coaching or you just making up stuff. lol.

I will agree it does seem like the NBA was more wide open back in the day but looking back it truly wasn't. The Bulls dominated and when Jordan retired Houston got there 2 and then back to the Bulls. Then the Lakers and Spurs did there thing. The league has always kind of been the way it is now. Of course you did have more shooters and more good post players but only a few teams were winning championships
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He's not underrated
  • BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

u do kno Melo hasnt shot above 50% in da 1st 2 games of da series rite? Jeff Green nd Bass has made him work for his points
  • DaBull
    DaBull Members Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    honestly what coach with 3 hall of amers HASNT won a ring tho? put it in that context and DOC just gettin extra props cuz he a brother
  • BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DaBull wrote: »
    honestly what coach with 3 hall of amers HASNT won a ring tho? put it in that context and DOC just gettin extra props cuz he a brother

so ur gonna act like he didnt push da rite buttons wit givin James Posey nd Eddie House heavy minutes throughout da playoffs durin our championship year? stop trollin brothaman
  • dc's teflondon
    dc's teflondon Members Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DaBull wrote: »

don nelson
    mike dunleavy
    del harris
    jerry sloan
    larry bird