themadlionsfan
themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
NO SHOW! Nintendo not having an E3 2013 press conference
Nintendo Direct to replace the yearly conference
Words: Hollander_Cooper 1 hour, 14 minutes ago
2 Comments
Email

Share / Save

Every year, the big three console manufacturers host competing press conferences before the show floor opens at the Electronic Entertainment Expo, each vying for the eyes (and words) of the attending press. This year will be different. Nintendo has revealed via a Financial Results Briefing that it will not be conducting a traditional E3 press conference. Instead, Nintendo president Saturo Iwata said that Nintendo is "planning to host a few smaller events that are specifically focused on our software lineup for the U.S. market. There will be one closed event for American distributors, and we will hold another closed hands-on experience event, for mainly the Western gaming media."

Iwata points to Nintendo Directs, which have successfully conveyed news regarding software releases to gamers, as a natural evolution of the press conference mindset. He explained that while gamers want to know about games and investors want to know about sales numbers, having one event where both are discussed really doesn't service either perfectly.

That's not to say that Nintendo will ignore the event, though--on the contrary, it sounds as though Nintendo will approach E3 with the same force it always has, just... differently. "We will use E3 as an ideal opportunity to talk in detail mainly about the Wii U titles that we are going to launch this year, and we also plan to make it possible for visitors to try the games immediately," he explained. "As a brand new challenge, we are working to establish a new presentation style for E3."

So, is it time to panic? Likely not. We already discussed what the briefing itself meant as we analyzed the numbers, but we'll have more tomorrow on what this interesting news means for Nintendo.

Comments

• genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In otherwords they know they can't compete microsoft and sony
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • intalect
    intalect Members Posts: 674 ✭✭
    Options
  • CallMeWelvin
    CallMeWelvin Members Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Great news. I called this a year ago after the last E3 BTW. Feel free to pull up the thread.

They will still be at E3 in full capacity, they are simply changing the way they deliver the information. *shrugs*
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    Options
    Sounds like they're just making excuses for what they already know will be a lackluster E3 presentation.

I mean - you can almost always predict Nintendo games before E3 show anyway, but that's still pretty disappointing.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    i guess in a way it makes sense, since their next gen hardware is already out. why bother having a showing like ms and sony will? having a bunch of playable demos out is a good idea. not really gonna matter either way, ps4 and nextbox will be what everyone will be checking for.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sad to see Nintendo's current state. So many great memories on my SNES and N64
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Nintendo like WWE they caking of the lil kids
  • focus
    Options
    Apples conference will overshadow E3 in terms of mainstream press.
  • brown321
    brown321 Members Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's funny how the whole gaming internet is tripping over this.
    They are going to have events for the press & retailers & a pre recorded video for us.
    E3 is not as important as people online like to think, there's literally the same chance that the average person on the street will have evidence the Boston bombings were done by Ray Allen than will know what E3 is.
    & I know when they show the trailer for Smash I'm not going to care if it was shown live in front of a bunch of fat crackas.

• CallMeWelvin
    CallMeWelvin Members Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    focus wrote: »

Weren't you talking about how important E3 was last year and how it was the most important day for gaming fans.

Buuuuuuuuuut now... it's not big deal.

Must be 2 sides
  • focus
    Options
    PimpMVP wrote: »
    focus wrote: »

Weren't you talking about how important E3 was last year and how it was the most important day for gaming fans.

Buuuuuuuuuut now... it's not big deal.

Must be 2 sides

Yea...until E3 happened and that changed. I made my new feelings very clear at the time. Like I said, feel free to pull up what I said about E3.

And my Apple comment is based on a simple reality, not an opinion or my own personal desire.
  • earth two superman
    Options
    lol @ focus thinking he's important enough to be searched. yeah you certainly make your 'feelings' very clear in Sion's inbox. niggabitch.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    First E3 was so big and then Nintendo failed to impress, now E3 is irrelevant. LOL E3 is still the biggest gaming conference and receives the most press coverage. It is the Super Bowl of gaming conferences as no other event is close to being bigger. The fact is that Nintendo has lost the casual support and must come crawling back to REAL gamers, but they are doing a ? job so far. Yes it is pointless for them to hold a major event at E3 seeing how they only had Mario spinoffs and more sequels to announce to 30 year old franchises. Sony is the NFL while Nintendo is Arena football ...MS is the Euro league when it comes to gaming.
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    First E3 was so big and then Nintendo failed to impress, now E3 is irrelevant. LOL E3 is still the biggest gaming conference and receives the most press coverage. It is the Super Bowl of gaming conferences as no other event is close to being bigger. The fact is that Nintendo has lost the casual support and must come crawling back to REAL gamers, but they are doing a ? job so far. Yes it is pointless for them to hold a major event at E3 seeing how they only had Mario spinoffs and more sequels to announce to 30 year old franchises. Sony is the NFL while Nintendo is Arena football ...MS is the Euro league when it comes to gaming.

biggest American gaming conference
  • brown321
    brown321 Members Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Since it seems you're caping for Sony I got a Question. Would you not watch their conference if it was recorded?
    That's the only thing Nintendo is doing different Than sony & MS.

You think the PS1/2 & Wii sold like they did because people saw their e3 confernece? This ? only matters in forum wars.

Y'all ? me with this.
    If people give a ? about Sony or MS first party franchises in 30 years they will still make them.
    When I see Mario or Punch Out I know I'll buy it cuz there hasn't been a bad game yet.
    They do need to Make more/Use more of their IPs tho.

Look a Sony with Killzone they trying their hardest to make that ? relevent. If killzone 4 sells a lot you don't think sony is going to ? out another one in 2 years?
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm fairly new to the subforum, so is Focus the H-Rap around here?
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »

biggest American gaming conference

Nah its the biggest. I mean the one on Europe does not receive the same amount of coverage, but Nintendo is bigger in the US anyway.
  • earth two superman
    Options
    I'm fairly new to the subforum, so is Focus the H-Rap around here?
    im not sure. is focus' pops in jail too?