The SL used to be cracking, but not anymore does this reflect the current state of Hip Hop?

Options
bootsy_jenkins
bootsy_jenkins Members Posts: 502 ✭✭✭✭
I was just wondering, I began coming to AHH in '05. The SL used to be a place that I would spend a lot of time. There were many intelligent discussions and the info/knowledge was flowing. Now it's dead as Micheal Jackson. Is this a reflection of the state of Hip-hop? When it comes to social matters Hip-Hop is merely a shadow of it's former self. Being ignorant to all things intelligent seems to be the norm these days.

Meanwhile, the other forums that concentrate on topics of a ratchet nature seem to be the most popular.

Just a thought.

Comments

• Drew_Ali
    Drew_Ali Members Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I ran a lot of ? from round here with that ? ........

• RanchWheatThin
    RanchWheatThin Members Posts: 98
    Options
    I cracked up when i read the title to this thread, but after i read it i realized it's very likely true!
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah the SL used to actually get more traffic back when it was Me, janklow and Keesha as moderators. Can you imagine the Social Lounge averaging more viewers and posters than GnS AND Donkey? Well it used to be that way.

But alas all good things come to an end.
  • bootsy_jenkins
    Options
    Darxwell wrote: »
    Yeah the SL used to actually get more traffic back when it was Me, janklow and Keesha as moderators. Can you imagine the Social Lounge averaging more viewers and posters than GnS AND Donkey? Well it used to be that way.

But alas all good things come to an end.

Yep. I remember that. I remember that all seemed to change after the IC went down for that long period. I was Truthseeker55 then. I had a library of knowledge based movies that I posted. All was lost when they IC went off line. SMH.
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yeah the IC never recovered fully from the upgrade on the message board side of the house. Oh well :(
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    I was just wondering, I began coming to AHH in '05. The SL used to be a place that I would spend a lot of time. There were many intelligent discussions and the info/knowledge was flowing. Now it's dead as Micheal Jackson. Is this a reflection of the state of Hip-hop? When it comes to social matters Hip-Hop is merely a shadow of it's former self. Being ignorant to all things intelligent seems to be the norm these days.
    i, for one, am happy to blame the current state of the SL on the current state of hip-hop
    (listens to a Roots album that only he and three other people bought)
    (feels vague disdain for humanity)
    Yeah the SL used to actually get more traffic back when it was Me, janklow and Keesha as moderators.
    true, true. good times
    yeah the IC never recovered fully from the upgrade on the message board side of the house. Oh well :(
    also very true
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Meanwhile, the other forums that concentrate on topics of a ratchet nature seem to be the most popular.

Just a thought.

True.

If you keep the youth dumb and distracted, who's going to oppose most of the ? going on in the world?

• RanchWheatThin
    Options
    I know for me, i use to be very politically active and did a lot of philanthropy before the stock market crash in 08. Nowdays im overwhelmed by what is going on in this country, that i avoid the news cuz i feel so helpless to contribute to making things better. My focus has shiften more to spirituality now, instead of politics. Maybe other people feel overwhelmed by it too, and avoid it?
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man, when the site went down it killed SL. This is where I first started in 06. I never even left SL for the other forums before the IC died. Those were good times. There was a lot of good posters too.

I guess you could say the same for the rest of the IC.

• Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I think that I agree and all, but are we really going to blame hip hop!? Really?

Every now and then, this kind of thread gets made though right? How about we stop ? and get to work? Make more threads. Reply to other posters. Come up with more SL ideas. Stir up some more activity. We can't blame hip-hop. We have to look at oursleves first.
  • bootsy_jenkins
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »
    I think that I agree and all, but are we really going to blame hip hop!? Really?

Every now and then, this kind of thread gets made though right? How about we stop ? and get to work? Make more threads. Reply to other posters. Come up with more SL ideas. Stir up some more activity. We can't blame hip-hop. We have to look at oursleves first.

I think that you got it wrong. I am not blaming Hip-hop at all. It's merely an observation. A cause and effect kind of thing.
  • RanchWheatThin
    Options
    Maybe it's an example of that 'Does life imitate art, or does art imitate life' question?
  • Plutarch
    Options

I think that you got it wrong. I am not blaming Hip-hop at all. It's merely an observation. A cause and effect kind of thing.

Ok, I think that I understand what you're saying now. My bad. Whether or not the "downfall" of the SL is a reflection of today's hip hop? I don't know. That's a very complicated question. I might agree, however, that the downfall of the SL is partly a reflection of an increasingly materialistic American culture that devalues ideas and knowledge in favor of money and ignorance. And thus, today's hip hop is also a reflection of this culture. I don't know...
  • Plutarch
    Options
    Maybe it's an example of that 'Does life imitate art, or does art imitate life' question?

Yeah, but it's both. Art imitates life, and life imitates art. But imo, life came first, so it was art that imitated life before life imitated art. Nevertheless, art doesn't imitate life very well, and life doesn't or can't imitate art very well either. What we are reduced to is stereotypes, fantasies, fallacies, delusions, etc. And art and life generally should not consist of any of those things, but here we are today. Plato would be very angry with us.
  • bootsy_jenkins
    Options

Ok, I think that I understand what you're saying now. My bad. Whether or not the "downfall" of the SL is a reflection of today's hip hop? I don't know. That's a very complicated question. I might agree, however, that the downfall of the SL is partly a reflection of an increasingly materialistic American culture that devalues ideas and knowledge in favor of money and ignorance. And thus, today's hip hop is also a reflection of this culture. I don't know...

Exactly. I would have to agree with you on that one.

• LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I think it reflects something that hip hop also reflects: A lack of intellectualism.

The number of people interested in worldly affairs is dwindling. It is evident in hip hop, and seemingly enough in the popularity of this sub forum.

EDIT: It seems @plutarch beat me to it.
  • indyman87
    indyman87 Members Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Probably because like most people they found out that most if not nearly all of of the so called conscious people are faking the funk because they have nice homes, nice cars a good job and don't want to break the status quo. If you are socially conscious and what to make a difference in the Black Community i would suggest that you do like Jesus and talk to the folks in the poor communities that have limited access to the internet.
  • indyman87
    indyman87 Members Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    IMO the only way that the Black Community can achieve freedom, happiness and success for all our people not just some is to limit the viewing of all media that contain immoral images like violence, immoral sex, negative words like the 'N' word, looking at, reading about gossip from blogs or from friends and neighbors. I really do believe that watching things like that can bring bad Karma, bad energy to yourself. We can counter that be reading, listening to positive affirmations. This is something everybody can do.