Should genes be patented or not?

Options
Drew_Ali
Drew_Ali Members Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2013 in The Social Lounge
US Supreme Court To Decide Whether Or Not Genes Can Be Patented

SCOTUS.jpg

While BRCA1 and 2 are stretches of DNA that occur in nature, Myriad Genetics argues that their isolation make them inventions.

image2A8.jpg

The US isn’t the only country trying to find their way out of this messy litigation thicket. Australia’s Full Federal Court began hearings the same week to consider the validity of Myriad’s tests.

As with other products that companies sell, Myriad can put whatever price they want on their breast cancer tests. The question of what is nature and what is invention is a philosophical question with huge practical implications. The Supreme Court is expected to continue deliberating on the case until it delivers a decision June 30. When it does, researchers, doctors and patients will be listening closely.

http://singularityhub.com/2013/04/22/us-supreme-court-to-decide-whether-or-not-genes-can-be-patented/

Should genes be patented or not? 27 votes

Yes...... They should have the patents.......
14%
wharGold_CertificateWYRMTymoney19 4 votes
No........You cannot "invent" Gods work.......
85%
bootsy_jenkinszombiejonobigduece69hueyStewKINGECDisciplined InSightBilly_PonchoDMTxTHCatribecalledgabiCashmoneyDux[Deleted User]MissKMeta_ConsciousLUClENelementalPBrideofKillaDrew_AliBlackCat 23 votes

Comments

• Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    Wtf kinda ?
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    i don't see any scenario how this could end well for humanity
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'ma patent H2O, mad royalties...
  • Lurker6
    Lurker6 Members Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dont feel like reading that link right now but, if my memory is correct they already patented genes and im guessing someone challenged it and the supreme court is gunna decided to over turn it or not
  • Drew_Ali
    Options
    Lurker6 wrote: »
    dont feel like reading that link right now but, if my memory is correct they already patented genes and im guessing someone challenged it and the supreme court is gunna decided to over turn it or not

On May 12, 2009, a group of plaintiffs led by the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) and the Public Patent Foundation (PUBPAT) filed a lawsuit against Myriad Genetics, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) and other defendants.

The lawsuit – Association for Molecular Pathology, et al. v. U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, et al. – alleges that patents on two human genes associated with breast and ovarian cancer (BRCA1 and BRCA2) are invalid and unconstitutional.

http://www.genomicslawreport.com/index.php/category/badges/myriad-gene-patent-litigation/
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont see how it would benefit me...
  • Drew_Ali
    Options
    Stopitfive wrote: »
    I dont see how it would benefit me...

If you ever have people that have heart or prostate issues........

Seek alternative therapy.......

Isosorbide dinitrate/hydralazine is a fixed dose combination drug treatment specifically indicated for African Americans with congestive heart failure. It is a combination of hydralazine (an antihypertensive) and isosorbide dinitrate (a vasodilator). It is the first race-based prescription drug in the United States.

http://www.bidil.com/

The discovery of an exclusive marker for prostate cancer may be mired by the heterogeneity of the disease, since the molecular mediators of the disease are linked with its etiopathogenesis. Thus the search for biomarkers of prostate cancer must recognize its etiology and downstream mediators. In this review, PCGEM1, a patented prostatespecific non-coding RNA gene with an upregulated transcription in African American malignancy will be discussed in relationship to the etiology of prostate cancer.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19891595
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I remember when this was talked about in Michael Crichton's book, Next

It's going to happen...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Gold_Certificate
    Gold_Certificate Members Posts: 13,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Only if it's a unique and "unnatural" combination.
  • King_sorrow
    King_sorrow Members Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes and no

yes because im tired of religion holding back mankind

no, because i dont want these ? to "accidently" make this

resident-evil3.jpg

but instead of stars members he hunts ? instead
  • Lurker6
    Lurker6 Members Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Drew_Ali wrote: »
    Lurker6 wrote: »

On May 12, 2009, a group of plaintiffs led by the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) and the Public Patent Foundation (PUBPAT) filed a lawsuit against Myriad Genetics, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) and other defendants.

The lawsuit – Association for Molecular Pathology, et al. v. U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, et al. – alleges that patents on two human genes associated with breast and ovarian cancer (BRCA1 and BRCA2) are invalid and unconstitutional.

http://www.genomicslawreport.com/index.php/category/badges/myriad-gene-patent-litigation/

props
  • Drew_Ali
    edited April 2013
    Options
    kai_valya wrote: »
    it has nothing to do with "? 's work" imo, it's just a definition issue. this kind of things is the side of science i hate. i would love to think scientific work is all about the discovery and scientific inquisitiveness. but like with anything, research companies are out to make money. and when that is the primary motivation, ? like this happens

This is the side of science that I love.........

Application...........

The only reason that I bring this to the IC is to raise awareness.........

I am dedicated to exposing the fuckery of these Evolutionists.............

It should be noted that the research connecting African Americans to prostate cancer is being done at Cold Spring Harbor, NY..........

The same laboratories that were used by eugenicists that promoted the involuntary sterilization of African Americans.......

http://genome.cshlp.org/site/press/PcaAA.xhtml

Again......

Most of the people reading this are young........

However, if you ever have or have a loved one with prostate issues.......

Consider alternative therapy.........

I believe that this is another intricate plot to reduce the African population in the U.S.........

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
    bismi-llāhi r-raḥmāni r-raḥīm
    In the name of ? , the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

• cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Worth reading since Myriad Genetics won Australia's bid to patent human genes:
    Australia's Boom is Anything but for its Aboriginal People

The story of the first Australians is still poverty and humiliation, while their land yields the world's biggest resources boom

By John Pilger

April 29, 2013 "Information Clearing House" -"The Guardian" - Eleven miles by ferry from Perth is Western Australia's "premier tourist destination". This is Rottnest Island, whose scabrous wild beauty and isolation evoked, for me, Robben Island in South Africa. Empires are never short of devil's islands; what makes Rottnest different – indeed, what makes Australia different – is silence and denial on an epic scale.

"Five awesome reasons to visit!" the brochure says. These range from "family fun" to "historical Rottnest". The island is described as "a guiding light, a defender of the peace". In eight pages of prescribed family fun, there is just one word of truth – prison.

More than any other colonial society, Australia consigns its dirtiest secrets, past and present, to wilful ignorance or indifference. When I was at school in Sydney, standard texts all but dismissed the most enduring human entity on earth, the indigenous first Australians. "It was quite useless to treat them fairly," the historian Stephen Roberts wrote, "since they were completely amoral and incapable of sincere and prolonged gratitude." His acclaimed colleague Russel Ward was succinct: "We are civilised today and they are not."

That Australia has since changed is not disputed. To measure this change, a visit to Western Australia is essential. The vast state – our richest – is home to the world's biggest resources boom: iron ore, gold, nickel, oil, petroleum, gas. Profits are in the multiple billions. When the former Labor prime minister Kevin Rudd tried to impose a modest tax, he was overthrown by his own party following a A$22m (£14.6m) propaganda campaign by the mining companies, whose mates in the media uphold the world's first Murdocracy. "Assisted by Rio Tinto" reads the last line of an unctuous newspaper article on the boom's benefits to black Australians.

At airports passengers are greeted by banners with pictures of smiling Aboriginal faces in hard hats, promoting the plunderers of their land. "This is our story," says the slogan. It isn't.

Barely a fraction of mining, oil and gas revenue has benefited Aboriginal communities, whose poverty is an enduring shock. In Roebourne, in the mineral-rich Pilbara, 80% of the children suffer from an ear infection called otitis media, which can cause partial deafness. Or they go blind from preventable trachoma. Or they die from Dickensian infections. That is their story.

The Nyoongar people have lived around what is now Perth for many thousands of years. Incredibly, they survive. Noel Nannup, a Nyoongar elder, and Marianne McKay, a Nyoongar activist, accompanied me to Rottnest. Nannup's protective presence was important to McKay. Unlike the jolly tourists heading for "Rotto", they spent days "preparing for the pain". "All our families remember what was done," said Noel Nannup.

What was done was the starving, torture, humiliation and murder of the first Australians. Wrenched from their communities in an act of genocide that divided and emasculated the indigenous nations, shackled men and boys as young as eight endured the perilous nine-hour journey in an open longboat. Terrified prisoners were jammed into a windowless "holding cell", like an oversized kennel. Today, a historical plaque refers to it as "the Boathouse". The suppression is breathtaking.

In the prison known as the Quod as many as 167 Aboriginal prisoners were locked in 28 tiny cells. This lasted well into the 20th century. The prison is now called Rottnest Lodge. It has a spa, and there are double bunks for children: family fun. I booked a room. Noel Nannup stood in the centre of the room and described its echoes of terrible suffering. The window looked out on to where a gallows had stood, where tourists now sunbathed. None had a clue.

A "country club" overlooks a mass grave. One psychopath who ran the Quod was Henry Vincent. He liked to whip prisoners and murdered two of them, an inquiry was told. Today, Vincent is venerated as a "pioneer", and tourists are encouraged to follow the "Vincent Way heritage trail". In the Governor's Bar, the annual Henry Vincent golf trophy is displayed. No one there had a clue.

Rotto is not the past. On 28 March Richard Harding, formerly inspector of custodial services, declared Western Australia a "state of imprisonment". During the boom Aboriginal incarceration has more than doubled. Interned in rat-infested cells, almost 60% of the state's young prisoners are Aboriginal – out of 2.5% of the population. They include children. A former prisons minister, Margaret Quirk, told me the state was now "racking and stacking" black Australians. Their rate of incarceration is five times that of black people in apartheid South Africa.

Black Australians are stereotyped as violent, yet the violence routinely meted out to them by authority is of little interest. An elder known as Mr Ward was arrested for driving under the influence on a bush road. In searing heat, he was driven more than 300 miles in the iron pod of a prison van run by the British security company GSL. Inside, the temperature reached 50C. Mr Ward cooked to death, his stomach burned raw where he had collapsed on the van's scorching floor. The coroner called it a "disgrace", but no one was prosecuted [ see footnote]. No one ever is.

Eco-tourism is also booming. The Kimberley region is popular with Europeans. Last year, 40 Aboriginal youngsters killed themselves there, a 100-fold increase. When I first reported on indigenous Australia a generation ago, black suicide was rare. Today, the despair is so profound that the second cause of Aboriginal death is suicide. It is booming.

• John Pilger's film on Australia, Utopia, is released in the autumn

• This article was amended on 29 April 2013 to clarify that Western Australia's director of public prosecutions did rule out criminal charges on the grounds that there was not "sufficient evidence". However, WorkSafe, the body that oversees health and safety in WA, brought charges in Kalgoorlie magistrates court, under the Occupational Safety and Health Act 1984. Graham Powell and Nina Stokoe, G4S guards, were fined A$9,000 and A$11,000 respectively by the court; Western Australia's Department of Corrective Services was fined A$285,000 and G4S was fined A$285,000 by Kalgoorlie magistrates court.

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article34770.htm
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KEEP THE COMMONS COMMON!!!!!
  • WYRM
    WYRM Members Posts: 993 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sue me I am of the transhumanist school.
  • Drew_Ali
    Options
    Video summary:

http://youtu.be/RR72UtJspN0
  • LUClEN
    Options
    ? Wight wrote: »

Why would anyone want to pay royalties for being born with a patented hair color or eye color?
  • bambu
    bambu Members Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRP3GUGWp03bwsKI6uu2z5cEE4A42rJbzluSbegvWCeyQoNHp9V

Angelina Jolie’s double mastectomy revelation had the unintended side-effect of boosting the share price for the biotech firm that owns the patent to her “breast cancer gene,” highlighting an ongoing US Supreme Court battle over the right to patent life.

On Monday, Jolie told the world she had undergone the procedure after discovering she carries a gene called BRCA1, which drastically increases the risk of developing breast and ovarian cancer.

Myriad Genetics, the Utah-based firm which owns both the patent to BRCA1 and a similar gene called BRCA2, saw its shares climb 4 percent on Tuesday following the starlet’s announcement, Yahoo!Finance reports.

http://rt.com/usa/jolie-cancer-gene-patent-272/

• edwardnigma
    edwardnigma Members Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why the one ? in the group look like Samuel Jackson In Django

They already ? up right there

Those white people jist mad because they cant reproduce as fast and abundantly as the black/brown people in the world
  • bambu
    bambu Members Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • WYRM
    WYRM Members Posts: 993 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Options
    RodrigueZz wrote: »
    ? Wight wrote: »

Why would anyone want to pay royalties for being born with a patented hair color or eye color?

A transhumanist isn't satisfied with eye or hair color, I was looking at the more exotic unique gene splices granting better functionality out of organs or some cross species augmentation, not aesthetics.
  • LUClEN
    Options
    Allergies are maladaptive as ?