NBA Player Comparison Shaq vs Duncan

Options

Comments

• NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shaq
    Shaq and it's not even close. Accomplishments are only half the battle.

Shaq would embarrass Duncan if they played in their primes.

They did tho

Meant in a head to head match-up aka 1v1.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Shaq
    The real reason Duncan has this lead is because....

1) He's still playing
    2) His team is currently doing well or does well every year (because of the coach)
    3) He's labeled a PF, to make his career look better, but all in all he's really a C.
    4) His stats are still solid thanks to Pop's system, but average fans think it's because of him
    5) People place accomplishments over skill when they both should be weighted around the same
    6) Shaq is a memory, and they forgot how good he really was...this happens to all greats unless you have a lifetime marketing team like MJ

Top Centers: Kareem, Shaq, Wilt, Hakeem, Russell... put Duncan in the C position, and he's not even top 3. Move him to PF and he's arguably number 1 because those guys don't have the resume, rings etc.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options

tim-duncan-deal-with-it.gif

i caught that ? in game 3 i think and just started laughing at Tim trollin Dwight
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Duncan
    I'm pleasantly surprised so many voted for Tim. Shaq and Tim are two totally different players and Shaq is great in his own right but I picked Tim because

A) I'm a Spurs fan
    B) Tim is more versatile offensively and defensively
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Duncan
    blu197 wrote: »
    Duncan is better all time but i jus perfer shaq

tim-duncan-deal-with-it.gif
    LMAO @ the look on Timmy's face. Epic

• coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GOAT camera work in that gif

How do you catch that ? so perfectly
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    Options
    Duncan
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    Shaq and it's not even close. Accomplishments are only half the battle.

Shaq would embarrass Duncan if they played in their primes.

If we talking at the free throw line, yeah

Duncan was a terrible freethrow shooter till a cpl years ago

Duncan wasn't terrible at shooting free throws ever. He wasn't as good as he is now but he only shot below 65% for a season 4 times. How many times Shaq shot at 65% in a season?

0 times

• #1hiphopjunki3
    Options
    Duncan

1) He's still playing
    2) His team is currently doing well or does well every year (because of the coach)
    3) He's labeled a PF, to make his career look better, but all in all he's really a C.
    4) His stats are still solid thanks to Pop's system, but average fans think it's because of him
    5) People place accomplishments over skill when they both should be weighted around the same
    6) Shaq is a memory, and they forgot how good he really was...this happens to all greats unless you have a lifetime marketing team like MJ

Top Centers: Kareem, Shaq, Wilt, Hakeem, Russell... put Duncan in the C position, and he's not even top 3. Move him to PF and he's arguably number 1 because those guys don't have the resume, rings etc.

Tim is a Power Forward slash center. He played mostly power forward in his career. Only a few seasons he has truly played center in his career. He played with the likes of David Robinson, Rasho Nesterovic and Tiago Splitter at center for a good chunk of his career.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    Options
    Shaq

1) He's still playing

So hold on...you're trying to say Shaq is more SKILLED than Tim Duncan?

Nah you can't be.

Skill meaning who's the better player solo with no help from teammates, coaches etc.
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Duncan had arguably one of the greatest final performances of all time against the Nets.
    Duncan averaged 24,17, 5 and 5blks. that's some goat ? .

Then you wanna talk about who ran that team. Duncan ain't have nobody. Robinson was on Holmes status, Parker and Gino were virtually nobodies. Yeah he had Pop but ? don't bring that ? up about Shaq. He gets all the credit for what did. You talk about Duncan first thing you great is "he benefited from a system" foh. if that's the case Shaq benefited as well.
    Phil and Shaq are the only people that are that are looked at separately like they didn't run together.

As big as Shaq was he was never defensive threat like Duncan was. No hate against Shaq, love Shaq but Duncan is just that ? imo.
    You really can't go wrong with either I just think Duncan was the more skilled player while Shaq was more dominate/physically imposing.
    Duncan ain't called the goat PF for nothing.
  • smittysmith
    smittysmith Members Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its getting to the point that Duncan can be argued over Shaq due to longevity.
  • dc's teflondon
    dc's teflondon Members Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Duncan
    duncan and the spurs had shaq and lakers crying on the sidelines after a playoff series
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Duncan
    duncan and the spurs had shaq and lakers crying on the sidelines after a playoff series

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck9nyiwaTIg
  • blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shaq

that ? was sad tho, lakers were tryin to 4peat that yr
  • NothingButTheTruth
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Shaq

That is not what the word "skilled" means.........not even close.

Which is why I defined what I meant by skill.
  • Confidential Playa
    Confidential Playa Members Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Duncan
    Timmy D. He is still playing at an elite level at 37 years of age. ? is the best big man in the league this year.
  • JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shaq
    going with Diesel... but man like they said on that Grantland episode. Can you imagine how dominant Shaq COULD have been if he that work ethic smh
  • louis rich
    louis rich Members Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • D.D.S.
    D.D.S. Members Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

LMFAOOOO I ? hate you for this
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Duncan
    What Duncan did to Dwight>>>>> The Dream to Shaq
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Duncan

The greatest day of my life... Had a ? going to school cheesin... Had Lakers fans wanting to jump me.
  • Rollin_Thunda
    Rollin_Thunda Members Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Shaq
    He was a true center and played that way.

Duncan will go down as prolly having the better NBA career but Shaq out here winning at life, b!

I'm taking The Diesel all day.
  • saracenwire
    saracenwire Members Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Duncan
    Duncan overall and in their primes. Duncan outplayed Shaq in every series they played except for 01. And kobe was the dominant player in that series. The lakers won again in 02 but Duncan destroyed Shaq. Wasn't even close.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Duncan
    He was a true center and played that way.

Duncan will go down as prolly having the better NBA career but Shaq out here winning at life, b!

I'm taking The Diesel all day.

Duncan ain't winning for life??? Mansion, Money, Family, Fame, still competing, and will go down as not only the Greatest Spur, but the Goat PF. Damn Bruh... Coulda fooled me