Einstein or Frankenstein????

Options
Drew_Ali
Drew_Ali Members Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2013 in The Social Lounge
FDA Approval For Genetically Modified Salmon That Grow Super Fast

The genetically modified salmon are produced by AquaBounty Technologies, based in Maynard, Massachusetts. Their AquAdvantage salmon are Atlantic salmon that combine a growth hormone gene from Chinook salmon and a control gene from an eel-like creature called the ocean pout that cranks out the growth hormone. The result is that the AquAdvantage salmon grow faster, cutting the time to reach market weight by about half – 18 months compared instead of three years required by normal salmon. Despite the accelerated growth rate, the resultant salmon don’t grow to be any larger than their wild counterparts.

image2A5.jpg

The FDA decision is a major victory for genetically modified foods. If the fish do end up on dinner plates across the US – and it certainly appears as though they will – the AquAdvantage salmon could pave the way for genetically modified foods of all kinds.

image1A9.jpg

http://singularityhub.com/2013/01/02/fda-approval-for-genetically-modified-salmon-that-grow-super-fast/

Homage:

http://youtu.be/MkivGULndck

Einstein or Frankenstein???? 11 votes

Food is food........
36%
DupacAjackson17Gold_CertificateDarth Sidious 4 votes
Miss me with that Frankenstein ? ........
63%
BodhiMaximus RexCashmoneyDuxG.AvantLUClENSleepwalkingInJapanDrew_Ali 7 votes

Comments

• Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Don't eat salmon post....
  • Drew_Ali
    Options

If the fish do end up on dinner plates across the US – and it certainly appears as though they will – the AquAdvantage salmon could pave the way for genetically modified foods of all kinds.

• Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Drew_Ali wrote: »

If the fish do end up on dinner plates across the US – and it certainly appears as though they will – the AquAdvantage salmon could pave the way for genetically modified foods of all kinds.

If the ? taste good I will probably still eat it this is no different than the agriculture industry pumping steroids and ? into food products.

Its all about quantity production and turning as much profit as possible to those companies.
  • G.Avant
    G.Avant Members, Writer Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We bout to have a bunch of X-Men walking around in a minute.
  • Darth Sidious
    Darth Sidious Members Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Food is food........
    newsflash, man has been genetically modifying food for thousands of years, it's just done in a more precise, targeted manner now. :)
  • Drew_Ali
    edited April 2013
    Options

If the ? taste good I will probably still eat it this is no different than the agriculture industry pumping steroids and ? into food products.

Its all about quantity production and turning as much profit as possible to those companies.

I feel you bro.....

Faced with starvation, I would eat nearly anything......

However, this may have unimaginable long-term effects..........

newsflash, man has been genetically modifying food for thousands of years, it's just done in a more precise, targeted manner now. :)

Not like this.......

"Atlantic salmon that combine a growth hormone gene from Chinook salmon and a control gene from an eel-like creature called the ocean pout that cranks out the growth hormone"

oceanpout2.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBUooe2kRXrA7GZ5oDGH-7pB2h0KyO8E-Stt1our1Jzvq9H2HbkQ

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTwv8Oy_ycD4L7D5Ga6MG90ifcOJ9n4lsXaJbh-Iz7gTLLz68zj
  • Drew_Ali
    edited April 2013
    Options
    The Genetically Engineered Food Right-to-Know Act would force food manufacturers to label fruits, vegetables, processed foods and seafood as genetically altered. The Food and Drug Administration has allowed genetically altered foods to be sold without labeling since 1992 and does not require safety studies of such foods.

Washington state has introduced a ballot initiative titled I-522 that seeks labeling and transparency of these foods. Whole Foods (WFM) announced in April that it would label all products containing GMOs in its U.S. and Canadian stores by 2018.

iStock_000012367319Small.jpg

Pollan says there has been a lot of support in Washington by local farmers and residents to pass the state's GMO bill. Telling people where their food comes from should be a “fundamental right,” he argues.

“Many people are absolutely fine with genetically modified food,” he says. “This is not an argument that it’s dangerous. But the way food is produced is relevant to the consumer. There are people who care. Personal responsibility should rule. But personal responsibility depends on information.”

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/michael-pollan-genetically-modified-foods-offer-consumers-nothing-125539792.html
  • The Prodigalson
    The Prodigalson Members, Writer Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It east salmon post but not anymore after this thread. ? you.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    still eat salmon so i can get some aquaman powers
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Food is food........
    I'm eatin and while you organic losers just become regular humans, I shall transcend to xmen.

http://youtu.be/2HedVOLIzCM
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Alaskan King Salmon >>>>>
  • Drew_Ali
    Options
    "This experimental technology merges DNA from different species, creating unstable combinations of plant, animal, bacterial and viral genes that cannot occur in nature or in traditional crossbreeding," it says.

"Atlantic salmon that combine a growth hormone gene from Chinook salmon and a control gene from an eel-like creature called the ocean pout that cranks out the growth hormone"

oceanpout2.jpg

• Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I don't eat meat including fish but I don't like the idea of GMO foods
  • 2Gee4FourRoomz
    2Gee4FourRoomz Members Posts: 516 ✭✭✭
    Options
    When they gon' do my tuna like this is want my tuna turned up too aaaye
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Food is food........
    salmon and eggs>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
  • Gold_Certificate
    Gold_Certificate Members Posts: 13,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Food is food........
    "This experimental technology merges DNA from different species, creating unstable combinations of plant, animal, bacterial and viral genes that cannot occur in nature or in traditional crossbreeding," it says.

oceanpout2.jpg

I'd eat all three of these fish, so I approve.
  • Drew_Ali
    Options
    fish.icecream.may.08.jpg

In June 2006 the Unilever company announced that it would use genetically modified yeast to grow antifreeze proteins based on a gene from the ocean pout, and use it to improve the consistency and storage properties of its ice cream brands.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/26/health/26iht-icecream.2296106.html?pagewanted=2&_r=2&

• Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yuck, Drew you heard about those Swiss Super Cows? they are muscular as ? , genetically modified of course, but supposed to have the most lean beef ever.
  • Drew_Ali
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    Yuck, Drew you heard about those Swiss Super Cows? they are muscular as ? , genetically modified of course, but supposed to have the most lean beef ever.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTnMp4_Ri873krhTTlNolOR9D0QZyEJi8fUCP8jYj_xLd3D8zfCRA

http://youtu.be/Nmkj5gq1cQU
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    Yuck, Drew you heard about those Swiss Super Cows? they are muscular as ? , genetically modified of course-
    are you sure you're not confusing them with Belgian Blues? because those cows are not genetically modified.

• Drew_Ali
    edited May 2013
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    Yuck, Drew you heard about those Swiss Super Cows? they are muscular as ? , genetically modified of course-
    are you sure you're not confusing them with Belgian Blues? because those cows are not genetically modified.

Yeah......

I was gonna go there.......

But that leads us to the question of if this same process has been done with humans??????

Selective Breeding that is.........

• Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    White folks stay ? with the food supply. Now I'm am inclined to believe some conspiratorial ? in regards as to why white folks stay ? with the food supply.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    Yeah......
    I was gonna go there.......
    But that leads us to the question of if this same process has been done with humans??????
    Selective Breeding that is.........
    well, in their case it's a mutation... but humans can have (and have had) that same mutation

as far as the selective breeding, i mean, someone's on this forum every couple of days noting it's happened in some circumstances that i cannot remember the specifics of right now