Scarface Addresses "Biting" In Hip Hop, Calls Out Trap Music

MrCrookedLetter
MrCrookedLetter Members Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
In the third installment of his interview with Hard Knock TV, noted Houston artist Scarface addressed what he believes is a lack of originality when it comes to today’s Hip Hop. The rapper frequently used the term “biting” during his interview and even referred to trap music originator and Atlanta producer Shawty Redd as an example of an artist whose sound is heavily mimicked.

“For somebody to come out and make a trap beat besides Shawty Redd, whatever his name is, the dude that originated trap music. If you are not him then why are you biting his ? …Why does every ? record sound like one long ass song,” Scarface questioned.

Prior to speaking on Shawty Redd, Scarface mentioned the likes of Dr. Dre and Marley Marl, two artists who have taken somewhat of a break from making music. Scarface went on to state that when artists like Dr. Dre and Marley Marl are no longer creating music the blueprint for artists to learn and study from begins to disappear.

“Dre, the best in the business, he said ‘? this ? ’ too. He is Hip Hop in my opinion. Marley Marl, he is Hip Hop, in my opinion,” said Scarface. “When you got those two people, those two masterminds, groundbreaking record makers not making music no more then you ain’t really got ? to go by. You ain’t got ? to study. You ain’t got ? to learn from.”

In his previous interview with Hard Knock TV, Scarface touched on a possible Geto Boys album and spoke on the production work of Rick Rubin.

http://www.hiphopdx.com/m/index.php?s=news&id=23751

Comments

• aladdin1978
    aladdin1978 Members Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I need to hear this full interview. Sounds like face was speaking truth.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Face is right bout some of dem beats!
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FaceMob keeping it 100 once again. Peep game...
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brad jordan da goat
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Face is a legend, but I respectfully disagree with what he's saying about "trap music". That sound really didn't originiate with Shawty Redd. One could argue that the sound goes back to the memphis sound that DJ Paul & Juicy J and Suave House producers like T-Mix were doing back in the 90's. There's also the UGK sound and the No Limit sound from the 90's. One of the biggest trap records, T.I.'s "Dope Boyz" is heavily influenced by that mid-90's "Bout It" / "Break Em Off" sound. DJ Toomp admitted that he was influenced by that sound when creating the beat. These records pre-date what Shawty Redd was doing with Jeezy back in '04-'05.

I mean, this Drumma Boy production came out a full year before anyone had heard "Trap or Die":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-i70wNQ8tM

^ This sounds similar to what Shawty Redd was doing with Jeezy, but it was before the world was introduced to what Shawty Redd was doing with Jeezy.
  • Muhannad
    Muhannad Members Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wanna hear that interview. Especially what he said about these trap joints.

After Rick Ross's BMF alot of similar joints were released. Rick Ross released that same joint several times. A bassheavy beat, a trap theme and a generic rapper chanting over that song. It's like a long hook.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea I agree about the similar sounding beats. But that's on everybody the producer the artists and the exec who is chasing hit records.

Second part I kinda disagree with Face. Just b/c Dre and Marly aren't doing it anymore doesn't mean folks that have been in the game for years and layed some blueprints aswell arent' still in it Or that some fresh blood can bring a breathe of fresh air in it.

• lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Face is a legend, but I respectfully disagree with what he's saying about "trap music". That sound really didn't originiate with Shawty Redd. One could argue that the sound goes back to the memphis sound that DJ Paul & Juicy J and Suave House producers like T-Mix were doing back in the 90's. There's also the UGK sound and the No Limit sound from the 90's. One of the biggest trap records, T.I.'s "Dope Boyz" is heavily influenced by that mid-90's "Bout It" / "Break Em Off" sound. DJ Toomp admitted that he was influenced by that sound when creating the beat. These records pre-date what Shawty Redd was doing with Jeezy back in '04-'05.

I mean, this Drumma Boy production came out a full year before anyone had heard "Trap or Die":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-i70wNQ8tM

^ This sounds similar to what Shawty Redd was doing with Jeezy, but it was before the world was introduced to what Shawty Redd was doing with Jeezy.

I see what you saying but i can't put Tmixx, UGK or NL production in the same category I think Face is talking bout. But you do raise some valid points tho. I think where Face is off is when he credits Shawty redd for the trap sound when he's one of the guys responsible for the sound and not soley responsible.
  • CirocObama
    CirocObama Members Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Just a question to everybody in here..

How much do y'all think the lack of sample useage effected hip-hop in terms of production?

That was always a argument naysayers would use against hip-hop and in some cases i would have to agree. Now however, we get alot of robotic sounding production with the same drums, 808's and all of the above.

So do you think it had an effect on it and would y'all like to see more sampling again, why/why not?
  • J.Clinton
    J.Clinton Members Posts: 413 ✭✭✭
    memphis10 wrote: »
    If hip hop is in such bad shape, I don't understand how I can go on datpiff or live mixtapes and find at least 10 diff rappers who don't sound alike a month. And the ? be dope.

face gotta realize his era not comin back. its not 94 anymore, and it never will be again. 10 years from now the beats, delivery, rhyme structure, and all that will be different from this era. and some ? who sold alot of records in this era who is repsected amongst his peers and almost 50 years old will be whinin about the same ? .

yea ppl might say a bar or two from an old as track. but it ain't like ? jackin somebody whole verse n respittin it. He ok wit ppl bitin dre or marley marl, just not shawty redd? foh times have changed and so has the way ppl express themselves in hip hop. I support young ? in this rap ? . like real ? , its not hard to find dope new original music at least once a week in hip hop today. but if you are still dependin on radio, tv, or some co-sign from another rap ? it's on you.

the ? face is just anotha bitter old ass rapper mad that he can't produce music that's relevant without going outside his comfort zone. This ? need to lock his self in the studio and make some good music instead of hating on the young ? like a straight ? that he's acting like. I don't give a ? about how legendary he is...that passive aggressive hating ? aint cool at all, makes him look like a hoe fo real

• CirocObama
    CirocObama wrote: »
    Just a question to everybody in here..

How much do y'all think the lack of sample useage effected hip-hop in terms of production?

That was always a argument naysayers would use against hip-hop and in some cases i would have to agree. Now however, we get alot of robotic sounding production with the same drums, 808's and all of the above.

So do you think it had an effect on it and would y'all like to see more sampling again, why/why not?
    I always thought sampling was cool if you were a actual beat chopper. Just rapping over a break meh, but those cats that really sample use bits and pieces from different songs to make a song. They may use a drum from here, bass from there, guitar from another song, add a little something, take a little something, it's still different elements to make that one sound. And yes, this stuff nowadays sound robotic, no rhythm to it at all

True indeed. That's one thing i dislike, when artist literally rap over another person's beat. The good part is that a few heads might go back and dig in the crates to find the original song and that's straight. The bad part is that alot of hip-hop consumers are ignorant to older music, alot of them being young, so they don't know who made what and who did it before nor do they care enough to research.
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Muhannad X wrote: »
    I wanna hear that interview. Especially what he said about these trap joints.

After Rick Ross's BMF alot of similar joints were released. Rick Ross released that same joint several times. A bassheavy beat, a trap theme and a generic rapper chanting over that song. It's like a long hook.

This makes more sense IMO than Face saying producers are bitin' Shawty Redd.

Between 2005 and 2010, there really was only Zaytoven (a producer that hit with "So Icey" featuring Jeezy and Gucci before TM101 blew up), Drumma Boy, and Shawty Redd with that type of sound. There really weren't copycats or people going to them strictly for "trap" beats.

Fast forward to 2010 when Lex Luger productions like "Hard In The Paint" and "BMF" hit the streets, it opened the floodgates for an influx of producers with similar sounding beats. Lil' Lody, The Beat Bully, Southside, Mike Will and others were on that sound. Not only that, but artists like Kanye West, Snoop Dogg, The Game, and several others either had a Lex Luger track or a beat from another producer that sounds like a signature Luger track.
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To tell ya the truth, Trap Music outside of TI, Jeezy, Three 6 Mafia, and a few others, those 808s and snares have been a cancer to the culture as a whole. That was when the super-wack rappers blew up between 2003 to 2010 and flooded the radio with that same sounding ? . Glad that a southern legend called that out.
  • Aristo_V300
    Aristo_V300 Members Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Face seems to have somehow mistaken Shawty Redd with Lex Luger... he must be gettin' up there in age.
  • J.Clinton
    J.Clinton Members Posts: 413 ✭✭✭
    If hip hop is in such bad shape, I don't understand how I can go on datpiff or live mixtapes and find at least 10 diff rappers who don't sound alike a month. And the ? be dope.

face gotta realize his era not comin back. its not 94 anymore, and it never will be again. 10 years from now the beats, delivery, rhyme structure, and all that will be different from this era. and some ? who sold alot of records in this era who is repsected amongst his peers and almost 50 years old will be whinin about the same ? .

yea ppl might say a bar or two from an old as track. but it ain't like ? jackin somebody whole verse n respittin it. He ok wit ppl bitin dre or marley marl, just not shawty redd? foh times have changed and so has the way ppl express themselves in hip hop. I support young ? in this rap ? . like real ? , its not hard to find dope new original music at least once a week in hip hop today. but if you are still dependin on radio, tv, or some co-sign from another rap ? it's on you.

the ? face is just anotha bitter old ass rapper mad that he can't produce music that's relevant without going outside his comfort zone. This ? need to lock his self in the studio and make some good music instead of hating on the young ? like a straight ? that he's acting like. I don't give a ? about how legendary he is...that passive aggressive hating ? aint cool at all, makes him look like a hoe fo real

thats damn near how it come across aint it man...? like him would have you thinkin the music that's out now is just 99% wack. for the first time ever, us the listeners are in complete control of what is hot or not. we dont need commercials or xxl or the source to tell us about new ? no more. ? dont need labels, just enough money to buy an xlr mic, a decent camera, good software, and know how. if you even remotely nice, ? will notice and bump yo ? . if not ? aint lettin that ? fly. born in 83 im from that era, but ? gotta chill with this old man on the porch ass ? . like his last projects was just pushin the envelope or sum ? lol.

its getting old with rappers complaining about the current state of the rap game just because the money they used to generate has decreased.. These veteran rappers need to learn how to adapt...u don't have to necessarily conform to everything going in the industry to adapt to current times for a more consistent and relevant career i.e. Juicy J, 2 Chains, E-40, birdman (not saying these are the best rappers, but they understand how to reinvent themselves in order to prolong their careers).
  • CirocObama

thats damn near how it come across aint it man...? like him would have you thinkin the music that's out now is just 99% wack. for the first time ever, us the listeners are in complete control of what is hot or not. we dont need commercials or xxl or the source to tell us about new ? no more. ? dont need labels, just enough money to buy an xlr mic, a decent camera, good software, and know how. if you even remotely nice, ? will notice and bump yo ? . if not ? aint lettin that ? fly. born in 83 im from that era, but ? gotta chill with this old man on the porch ass ? . like his last projects was just pushin the envelope or sum ? lol.

Even tho you have a point technically, still so much wrong in this post IMO.

1 thing ppl fail to realize is that most of us are rare breeds. We're music heads who have an appreciation for the culture, music & the progression of. Most out there don't. Most use music as a way to spot trends or what's current & cool. When street rap is hot all of a sudden you'll spot cats acting thug-like, especially if females are attracted to it & that's always how it's been.

Many don't give a ? as long as ? like it, it's entertaining & it's popular/cool they good money. Another unfortunate part is that they outweigh us, at least in hip-hop, & they are the consumer target because of that, as well as generally being younger which means more naive. Every business out there are predator-like in their way.

So that crowd needs magazines, radio stations & TV to tell them what's hot in order for them to keep up with the trends so they can fit in with their friends in their school/enviroment. Ppl like you & me only make up a small %.
  • Ear2DaSt
    edited May 2013
    why would you wanna be something your not?
    why would you wan't someone to be something they're not?
    Why would you wan't a small group of homosexuals to represent what da community really bout?
    You throwing da game a curve ball!
  • Ear2DaSt
    edited May 2013
    I heard a preacha say if chickens decide to be wit other chickens of same sex there would be no chicken!
    If cow decides to be with other cows of the same sex there would be no beef!
    Im not trying to be hateful but this is prophecy being fulfilled!
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He is right about originality and about how it goes with beat trends in general, like when someone makes a hit everybody start copying that ? .

It went from to Jeezy Beats (Shawty Redd), to Gucci Beats (Zaytoven), to Flocka Beats (Lex Luger) and thats pretty much where we are at right now

And 3-6 definitely paved the way for the sound but its still distinctly different then the polished trap pop of today. Crazy tom rolls and unrealistic hi hat clicks, dramatic batman sounding synths, frequent pauses and breaks all underneath a stomping pitch shifting 808 that pretty much drowns out everything else I just mentioned...

Originality is a huge problem