Why didn't Life Is Good go Gold?

Comments

• StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to hurt feelings, but it garnered next to no interest outside the internet and ? fans. Internet hype means nothing next to the stuff popular in the everyday world. That said, he has his place and there's nothing wrong with that.

? ? .. LOL

Like its only HipHop bloggers that use the "internet"

And why this @Neva_Change ? only pop up in Nas' threads?
  • High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    He did put out Cherry Wine as a single! He should sent "Summer on Smash" to radio as a single though!! HE coulda left Accident Murderers on the album.

Naw but it was after the album dropped and it got like zero promotion as a single. He should have dropped Cherry Wine in place of The Don or maybe even Daughters. I would have did it like this:

1. Nasty
    2. Cherry Wine
    3. You wouldn't understand/Daughters

(2 and 3 are really interchangeable)

• Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    still don't understand how he had more people attend his concert than buy his album. that goes for any artist.
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He drops singles and radio dj's and MTV/BET barely play them ? , plus I agree that he chose the wrong singles, Cherry Wine had hit written all over
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    It will go gold...
  • PiffyHaze
    PiffyHaze Members Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bc he didn't sell 500,000 copies hoe
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    Not to hurt feelings, but it garnered next to no interest outside the internet and ? fans. Internet hype means nothing next to the stuff popular in the everyday world. That said, he has his place and there's nothing wrong with that.

? ? .. LOL

Like its only HipHop bloggers that use the "internet"

And why this @Neva_Change ? only pop up in Nas' threads?

Yeah yeah. I knew id get some "backlash" but it is what it is. Haha
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cuz i downloaded that ? - i already got my own back taxes to pay i can't be paying nas' too.

plus kelis might use the change to put out more music and nobody wants to finance that ? .

classic album though. i bought illmatic 3 times so i feel no guilt.
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still wondering too.
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because he's a rebel to America?
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its more mature than many of his previous releases. The topics on the album aren't exactly what today's casual listener tryna hear. What song was young people gonna bump?

Nas aint Drake, J. Cole or 2Chainz he makes more mature music in most cases.

Common's Dreamer/Believer was another classic great album that didn't sell because its mature in nature but the ? was hot. That's all I care about.
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jono wrote: »
    Its more mature than many of his previous releases. The topics on the album aren't exactly what today's casual listener tryna hear. What song was young people gonna bump?

Nas aint Drake, J. Cole or 2Chainz he makes more mature music in most cases.

Common's Dreamer/Believer was another classic great album that didn't sell because its mature in nature but the ? was hot. That's all I care about.

/thread.

Maturity is frown upon in Hip Hop.

I still believe if Nas chose "Cherry Wine" for MTV consumption this conversation would've been different.
  • shareef242
    shareef242 Members Posts: 186 ✭✭
    The Last I saw it was at 360,000 around the time of the Grammys.
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They stop promoting not to mention the radio doesn't play good music. You get Wayne, drake drake and Wayne, 2 chains the same 12 songs are played every hour everyday. There's no diversity on the radio same ol same l.I.G didn't fit the mold.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i ? with nas music and the album life is good. but its ironic that the word gold is just good with an L replacing one of the O's.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Imagine if Nas was using whatever beats French Montanas uses...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8JgBPfXkRg

Nas music would be UNDENIABLE...
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    The Don and Nasty were good songs but bad choices as singles. Daughters was one if his best singles and it helped set the mood for how his album would sound. Cherry Wine and Bye Baby were also released as singles them songs just didn't pop.
  • Dakari
    Dakari Members Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭
    ? not tryna hear Nyquil Nas no more
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was one Drake feature away from a gold plaque. 2Chainz, Kendrick, and Ross all had a Drake single/feature. All three of those albums went gold or better. Pretty much every other rap release sold under gold. Life Is Good didn't need a Drake feature, but featuring Drake on a single seemed to be a successful trend in 2012.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^ Ehh he had Drake's producer on 'Bye Baby' anyway . ..

NaS is a rap ? who doesn't do music formatted for radio so its a lose-lose when it comes to sales

And his choice of production is the type that heralds his lyricism more hence his music labelled as "boring"

It was the best HipHop album of 2012 IMO .. .