Weddings: Why are they so important to you?

twatgetta
twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
Isn't your fiance devotion and love enough? Why do you feel like you and his family have to spend $$$$$$ just to make it official? Why get so deep in debt just starting out?

And don't just say "It's Tradition" because that's wack and traditions change. Drop an HONEST answer.

Comments

• MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    I don't want a big wedding ..... just something small with our close family and friends. If it wasn't for the kids and our parents we'd both be cool with taking off to Vegas

Oh but I do want a nice fancy ring lol
  • twatgetta
    I don't want a big wedding ..... just something small with our close family and friends. If it wasn't for the kids and our parents we'd both be cool with taking off to Vegas

Oh but I do want a nice fancy ring lol

Sensible yet Rational. cool.
  • twatgetta
    AP12 wrote: »
    if you getting in debt behind it, then you doing it wrong...

we probably could've done without one, but i wouldnt trade that day for anything in the world tbh...

where people (mainly out of touch with reality females) seem to forget is you have to live life after the wedding...so yea, you wanna invite all these people and have 30 bridesmaids and all that foolishness, but somebody gotta pay for it...and i dont know too many chicks who parents are just loaded like that to pay for some elaborate set up...

tbh...i wouldnt even want my in-laws paying that type of money anyway...

So without giving the actual number, how much do you think yall spent on that wedding? nice round number...lol

@AP12
  • twatgetta
    Empress_ wrote: »
    They're not and I do not want one nor do I want a diamond ring or big poofy white dress. I can compromise with my s/o if he really wishes for something small but it's not something I desire at all.

City Hall works great for me.

Many get too caught up wanting a wedding that they forget to prepare for the marriage thereafter.

Ask your man if it's ok if I clone you....mmmmmmmmm..lol...genius chick.
  • BlackCat
    BlackCat Members Posts: 824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are not that important anymore. I see a lot of people having small ceremonies in their backyard and ? . That's kind of cool, I mean it should be a day, to have fun and celebrate with family and friends. The couple should do what works for them. If they can afford it, why not have a big wedding. Personally marriage is not for me, so I don't have to worry about a wedding.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 6,385 ✭✭
    Free_Life wrote: »
    They are not that important anymore. I see a lot of people having small ceremonies in their backyard and ? . That's kind of cool, I mean it should be a day, to have fun and celebrate with family and friends. The couple should do what works for them. If they can afford it, why not have a big wedding. Personally marriage is not for me, so I don't have to worry about a wedding.

City Hall followed by an intimate gathering of our dearest family and friends with our mama's home cooked food and all the fixings, music and of course the cake would be ideal, at the very most.
  • twatgetta

Don't say that... you know they say "Never say Never" that #1 chick is headed your way now...lol
  • twatgetta
    twatgetta wrote: »
    if you getting in debt behind it, then you doing it wrong...

we probably could've done without one, but i wouldnt trade that day for anything in the world tbh...

where people (mainly out of touch with reality females) seem to forget is you have to live life after the wedding...so yea, you wanna invite all these people and have 30 bridesmaids and all that foolishness, but somebody gotta pay for it...and i dont know too many chicks who parents are just loaded like that to pay for some elaborate set up...

tbh...i wouldnt even want my in-laws paying that type of money anyway...

So without giving the actual number, how much do you think yall spent on that wedding? nice round number...lol

@AP12

no way i can answer that without giving the real number...lol...but lets just say this...we paid cash for everything including the honeymoon and didnt put anything on credit...

and we are NOT in debt...

Well I guess it's always good to know that you'll have some money AFTER the wedding I guess...lol..just can't see spending a grip just to play dress up and eat cake. that's jus me.
  • BlackCat
    Empress_ wrote: »

City Hall followed by an intimate gathering of our dearest family and friends with our mama's home cooked food and all the fixings, music and of course the cake would be ideal, at the very most.

That's awesome. My friend did that a couple years ago. They went to city hall and had a little gathering at her parents' with just their family and few friends. It was beautiful and savvy

• BlackCat

Don't say that... you know they say "Never say Never" that #1 chick is headed your way now...lol

Trust me. I have thought about this for a while. My dad still tries to change my mind but hell no. I'm a little selfish of a person to put myself in that situation.

• Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marriage I might agree to, but I wouldn't agree to a wedding.

Me and him honeymooning in some awesome location would be perfect.
  • taeboo
    taeboo Members Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well a wedding is supposed to a celebration of two people coming together. I don't think there's anything wrong with having a big wedding if that's what a couple wants to do and can afford to do so. The problem comes in when all your thinking about is the semantics of the day and showing off instead focusing on your so.
  • twatgetta
    Jus Seems like a waste of money nowadays. I understand the memories tho'
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want a BIG wedding where EVERYONE sees and I want stunt so hard they want to find me and they will have to find me.
  • twatgetta
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    I want a BIG wedding where EVERYONE sees and I want stunt so hard they want to find me and they will have to find me.

Put a price tag on it then? speak on it
  • twatgetta
    taeboo wrote: »
    Well a wedding is supposed to a celebration of two people coming together. I don't think there's anything wrong with having a big wedding if that's what a couple wants to do and can afford to do so. The problem comes in when all your thinking about is the semantics of the day and showing off instead focusing on your so.

So much ? to keep up with tho' you know YOU and the Hubby are the ones that make sure it all goes down as planned. one mistake and....ruined.
  • CP203
    CP203 Members Posts: 10,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    man im glad my wife is like me, we got engaged and married in the same day, getting high i asked if she wanted to get married she said yea, it was still early in the day went to the court house, her bestfriend and cousin met us there as witnesses and we got married and told everybody afterwards and come tomorrow we are married 9 years, we'll probably go all out for our 10year anniversary just for making it that far, but that big wedding ? is for the birds people spend all that money to end up divorce down the line
  • MoneyPowerRespect
    MoneyPowerRespect Members Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think that this depends on the couple.
    i want a small wedding, but i want it to be somewhere nice. and i think that's where money mite be an issue. i don't want some over-the-top cinderella gown or 1000 bridesmaids. i want something similar to sex and the city with the idea of 3 bridesmaids wit 3 different dresses. personally, i wanna do the whole courthouse thing and maybe in a couple years have something at my church to renew our vows. i personally think that renewing vows is more important than the actual wedding. it gives you a chance to reflect on the years and tell how much you've grown with your spouse.
  • Ajackson17

High as it can go ? , I hope the lady has some super rich folk so we can get a million dollar wedding with vodka fountains and ? . I want ? to hate on a successful black man doing it up and living it up.
  • CP203
    CP203 Members Posts: 10,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

High as it can go ? , I hope the lady has some super rich folk so we can get a million dollar wedding with vodka fountains and ? . I want ? to hate on a successful black man doing it up and living it up.

and you gonna feel stupid if you end up getting divorced, but hey at least you'll have the memories
  • Purr
    Purr Members Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want a beautiful wedding. however a very small and intimate one for family and very close friends. no more than 50 people. I've been seeing that small wedding are the trend because why go into debt for people you rarely know or speak too.

my wedding budget is 5000.

I want to save for a house then get married because I feel that would be best for us as a couple.
  • MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    man im glad my wife is like me, we got engaged and married in the same day, getting high i asked if she wanted to get married she said yea, it was still early in the day went to the court house, her bestfriend and cousin met us there as witnesses and we got married and told everybody afterwards and come tomorrow we are married 9 years, we'll probably go all out for our 10year anniversary just for making it that far, but that big wedding ? is for the birds people spend all that money to end up divorce down the line

My brother and sister in law did the same thing ... minus the being high lol

He did propose to her on a billboard and then we all met at the courthouse a few days later. Had to wait 3 days for the license to go thru here in Texas.

They are going to do a wedding for their 10 year... They have been married for over 8 years now.

My sister in law said she doesn't want anything too big but she does want to wear a wedding dress and have a big party afterwards lol
  • Ajackson17

and you gonna feel stupid if you end up getting divorced, but hey at least you'll have the memories

Oh, no we ain't getting divorced we moving to Saudi Arabia and becoming muslims. Shiiiid, I ain't losing out staying in America and within it's laws if I'm going to have a ring on a woman.
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

you're such a diva